why does Nu finish work [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : why does Nu finish work

Wash-ar15
01-09-2012, 22:13
so well to polish brass, but other auto products do not.

I have used nu finish as an additive with good results. on a whim, while shopping at WM, I bought some chrome cleaner to try to see if it would be a good substitute for nufinish. It was quite a bit less expensive.

the chrome polish worked, but the brass came out dull instead of shiny like NF.

So does NF polish by chemical or abrasive?

Samsondog04
01-09-2012, 22:22
To the best of my knowledge it's a cleaner wax. I wonder if other cleaner waxes on the market such-as Armor all cleaner wax would do the same?

I for one am a strong believer of Nufinish a with a little mineral spirits mixed in .

PCJim
01-09-2012, 22:24
NuFinish is a polymer polish that bonds on a molecular level. Pretty much will bond to most surfaces, some of which it will not leave a pretty result.

A chrome cleaner is just that, designed to specifically work on chrome. Just like silver polish chemically removes the tarnish/oxidation on silver but doesn't do much of anything on other metals.

Colorado4Wheel
01-09-2012, 22:45
Because it won the Consumer Reports test.

AA#5
01-09-2012, 23:53
Berry's Brass Bright with corn cob media works very well for me.

dkf
01-09-2012, 23:56
Try some Flitz metal polish that comes in the metal tube. Polishes brass to a mirror for me.

EL_NinO619
01-10-2012, 00:58
I'm not a Liberal, so I don't wonder why or try to find a way to make it greener or distribute it around GTR, I know it works, so I use it... Take that Obumer...:whistling:

I don't break it down either, For me mineral spirits builds up this nasty black resin. I just add a slow drizzle while running my tumbler, wait till all clumps are gone, add fabric softeners and wallah

rpgman
01-10-2012, 04:03
To the best of my knowledge it's a cleaner wax. I wonder if other cleaner waxes on the market such-as Armor all cleaner wax would do the same?

I for one am a strong believer of Nufinish a with a little mineral spirits mixed in .

I second that.

GioaJack
01-10-2012, 12:07
Adding Nu-Finish, Mother's Wheel Polish, mineral spirits, bacon grease, chicken stock or brass colored paint is like scratching and itch that doesn't itch any more... it simply isn't needed.

Throw your brass in the tumbler, day dream about women for a half-hour, pull the brass out, load it, shoot it, repeat as often as the mood overcomes you.

When someone can provide empirical evidence that ultra shiny brass attracts women of loose moral values instead of curious raccoons I'll buy a 55 gallon drum of Nu-Finish, until then... tumble, tumble, load, load, shoot, shoot, stop at the clubhouse for a drink.

Jack

DoctaGlockta
01-10-2012, 14:07
http://i39.tinypic.com/n37up2.jpg

El_Ron1
01-10-2012, 22:54
stop at the clubhouse for a drink.

Jack:patriot:

http://youtu.be/9TCKxh_wTD4

noylj
01-10-2012, 23:41
NO wax in Nu-Finish--check MSDS.
It does contain fine abrasives to remove "road film."
Would assume before someone used it on cases, they would check what it contains.

Hoser
01-11-2012, 08:21
When someone can provide empirical evidence that ultra shiny brass attracts women of loose moral values instead of curious raccoons I'll buy a 55 gallon drum of Nu-Finish, until then... tumble, tumble, load, load, shoot, shoot, stop at the clubhouse for a drink.

I have empirical evidence. I can not think of any other reason why my lovely bride has not killed me in my sleep or just plain killed me.

See....

GioaJack
01-11-2012, 12:00
I have empirical evidence. I can not think of any other reason why my lovely bride has not killed me in my sleep or just plain killed me.

See....

The day ain't over, Junior. :whistling:

Jack

snowwdog
01-11-2012, 20:17
:patriot:

http://youtu.be/9TCKxh_wTD4

:rofl:

i hope to hell thats me in 20 years

njl
01-11-2012, 20:35
NO wax in Nu-Finish--check MSDS.
It does contain fine abrasives to remove "road film."
Would assume before someone used it on cases, they would check what it contains.

That MSDS only accounts for 10-27% of what's in Nu-Finish. Who knows what else is in it.

I tried adding Turtle Wax a few times, and it seemed like the brass (9mm) sized a little easier...but using a little lanolin (not in the tumbler) makes a much bigger difference...and when adding things to the media, I invariably ended up having to scrape clumps of media out of some of the cases.