insperation and tips on a reloading station? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : insperation and tips on a reloading station?

redwzrd
01-09-2012, 21:17
got my dad a press for xmas and want to build a reloading table. was looking for some insperation, could you share your set up and maybe some tips for how you keep your gear organized. was thinking of a table about 3'x5' about stool hight. will build some shelves underneath and some pegboard above with maybe some more storage above that and to the side or sides.

fredj338
01-09-2012, 21:51
Storage, storage & more storage, never have enough. Reloading supplies just seem to multiply. For a single press, plenty of room, but don't be afraid to make the bench bigger. You may add another press or whatever later. You can build your own or buy cheap kitchen cabinets like I did & put a solid top on it, 24"-26" deep is plenty deep. Just make sure the shelves are reinf BEFORE you bolt everything in place. Components can get pretty heavy & I store ammo underneath too. The cabinets I bought have top drawers, nice for storing smaller stuff.

ron59
01-09-2012, 22:22
got my dad a press for xmas and want to build a reloading table. was looking for some insperation, could you share your set up and maybe some tips for how you keep your gear organized. was thinking of a table about 3'x5' about stool hight. will build some shelves underneath and some pegboard above with maybe some more storage above that and to the side or sides.

I built one that is 3'x6'. 4"x4" for legs, 2"x4" for braces everywhere, 2"x12" for the top and a 3/4" plywood top and bottom shelf. I'm guessing it weighs 300 pounds, it's hard to move. Solid as can be.

It helped that I bought a nice miter saw and portable table... able to get very exact/straight cuts. Bought clamps to hold things together while I drove screws. Built it 100% by myself and it was square as could be. Also bought leg "levelers" as while it was level in the middle of the floor... when pushed up against the wall it wasn't. The concrete goes up a little when it nears the wall.

Just make something heavy and solid. Attach to the wall if possible and you're set. My bottom shelf holds alot, there was already shelves on the wall above where I put the bench in my garage.

I'll get some pictures of it soon, but it's still a mess. I got the 650 on it, but still need to attach the 550 to it.

F106 Fan
01-09-2012, 23:27
If possible, cobble something together and decide if you want to load sitting down or standing up before you commit to a bench height. My bench is 38" high (fairly high for a workbench) and I still use the strong mount on my 550B. This puts the ball at the end of the handle up around 53".

I load standing up (I'm 6'1") and my arm is straight when the handle is at the bottom. I don't have to bend over or otherwise contort my body to fully move the handle.

Others reload sitting down. I used to do shotgun reloading while sitting but I have always done rifle/pistol standing but I think it was just because I mounted the shotgun press to a lower table. I don't think I spent much time thinking about it.

YMMV all over the place!

Richard