That last inch of powder.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : That last inch of powder..

Sheep
01-10-2012, 07:55
I'm to the end of a lot of powder. There is about an inch left in the hopper.

So my new powder is the same, just a different lot. The powder is Vihta N320. Load is 9mm Minor.

I need opinions- do I trash that little bit and fill up with the new, or do i just put the new on top of the old?? Thanks.

XDRoX
01-10-2012, 07:59
I've read many times that guys wont mix new lots of power with old ones. But I always just leave it in and poor the new stuff on top though. Especially VV. I woundn't waste it.

Jon_R
01-10-2012, 08:02
Just keep going IMO. Does not matter. If you were making very specific loads were you want the FPS + or - 5 FPS tolerance than you would want to separate the old from the new and probably would have to work up a new load for the new lot but if your just making handgun rounds to slam into a berm it does not matter. Long distance precision rifle maybe.

Sheep
01-10-2012, 08:11
Thanks. Actually what I'm thinking, is to keep going and load the next 500 or so and use them for practice. Then chrono/test with the new powder and adjust accordingly.

And yes, it is TOO expensive to waste.

Colorado4Wheel
01-10-2012, 08:47
I'm to the end of a lot of powder. There is about an inch left in the hopper.

So my new powder is the same, just a different lot. The powder is Vihta N320. Load is 9mm Minor.

I need opinions- do I trash that little bit and fill up with the new, or do i just put the new on top of the old?? Thanks.

If it wasn't safe to mix old and new lots then the manufacture would tell you not to do it. Some powders have a huge variation from lot to lot. Even then I don't trash the old powder. I will work up a new load with the new lot. Look at the difference and then make a practice only lot depending on what my testing shows.

rickrope
01-10-2012, 08:57
I usually dump it in the new jug and mix it up. :shocked:

Three-Five-Seven
01-10-2012, 09:05
If you are not making rounds for benchrest or 1000 yard competition, it doesn't matter.

Shadyscott69
01-10-2012, 09:19
Loading powder puff rounds, I would mix it up. If I was loading hot rounds, I would start over.

fredj338
01-10-2012, 10:41

^^THIS^^ If you are concerned, then this is the correct way. Throwing the new in the measure on top of the old isn't mixing. With some powders, diff lots can be diff enough to cause issues with max loads, so blending the last oz w/ another 1# or 4# is prudent if they are diff lots. Throwing it out is not an option.

Breadman03
01-10-2012, 11:03
I would only worry about it if you are pushing max or minimum loads. Is you are in the mid range loads, I wouldn't worry at all.

EL_NinO619
01-10-2012, 11:14
^^THIS^^ If you are concerned, then this is the correct way. Throwing the new in the measure on top of the old isn't mixing. With some powders, diff lots can be diff enough to cause issues with max loads, so blending the last oz w/ another 1# or 4# is prudent if they are diff lots. Throwing it out is not an option.

:thumbsup: I feel its no big deal. I always just mix it up. But if your paranoid you could always load old school and charge a trickle each load until power is gone or you don't have enough for another round. Then fertilize lawn or start a bonfire. Never waste powder, send all you almost empty jugs to me, I'll mix them all up to produce Winchester WTF:whistling:

unclebob
01-10-2012, 11:42
In 50 years of reloading I think I have come across twice when a different lot weighted different. What I do is dump the load powder out, and check the weight of the new powder. Make any adjustments to the powder measure. Then dump the old powder in with the new lot number powder, shake the jug and load away. I securely do not think that an inch of powder would make any difference when they are mixed together with 4 or more pounds of powder.

GioaJack
01-10-2012, 11:57
Drop a match in the hopper and burn off that last inch of powder... have stick and marshmallow at the ready.

In the event you are a non-smoker, (wussie) and can't find a match pour the surplus powder in your new container, shake it up thoroughly and commence to load. If you can detect a difference you'll be the first person in the history of the universe that can.

NOTE: If you choose the match and marshmallow option make sure your video camera battery is charged.

Jack

DoctaGlockta
01-10-2012, 12:13
I wouldn't have even given it a second thought. But then again I reload using bolts, nuts, hammers, and pipe fittings so what do I know.

PCJim
01-10-2012, 14:23
I've done it both ways, dealing with the last bit of powder that is. Most times, mix it with the new and continue on. The last time I was finishing up a 8# jug of BL2C, I loaded up to the very last powder drop from the 550b measure (completely empty hopper), measured the charge on the 5-0-5 which was spot on at 26.5gr, and dumped the powder into the awaiting case.

Granted it was a ball powder, but that did tell me a LOT about how accurate the powder measure is on my Dillon press.

dwhite53
01-10-2012, 14:29

Ditto. Toss it in, shake it up. I've never had a problem.

All the Best,
D. White

Colorado4Wheel
01-10-2012, 16:13
Solo1000 varies alot so I have to recheck it.

Jon_R
01-10-2012, 17:21
I've done it both ways, dealing with the last bit of powder that is. Most times, mix it with the new and continue on. The last time I was finishing up a 8# jug of BL2C, I loaded up to the very last powder drop from the 550b measure (completely empty hopper), measured the charge on the 5-0-5 which was spot on at 26.5gr, and dumped the powder into the awaiting case.

Granted it was a ball powder, but that did tell me a LOT about how accurate the powder measure is on my Dillon press.

I had the same thing with my 550. I was loading up .45 colt which I do just for my dad and very low volume but I knew the powder would be the limiting factor plenty of brass, bullets, and primers so when it got low I went to dump, weigh, confirm, and pour in the case. It was dead on until the very last drop which was about 3/4.... I was very impressed.

Brucev
01-11-2012, 07:50

Right!

fredj338
01-11-2012, 10:43
I had the same thing with my 550. I was loading up .45 colt which I do just for my dad and very low volume but I knew the powder would be the limiting factor plenty of brass, bullets, and primers so when it got low I went to dump, weigh, confirm, and pour in the case. It was dead on until the very last drop which was about 3/4.... I was very impressed.

It's not that the measure isn't accurate but that the volume of the powder could change. It's a testiment to the QC @ the powder manuf that they can make nearly identical powders 5,10 even 25yrs down the road.

DWARREN123
01-11-2012, 11:24
Unless really different in age I would just add the new powder to the old.

Just my opinion. :supergrin:

oldsoldier
01-11-2012, 11:39

I do the same using an 8lb jug.

glockaviator
01-11-2012, 14:24
Might want to load a little light the first few rounds of the new jug, especially if you are at or near max. I've seen pretty big differences from batch to batch.

gator378
01-11-2012, 14:39
If you are not making rounds for benchrest or 1000 yard competition, it doesn't matter.

+1 so far in my 64 years of life, I have never noticed any difference between lots of powder, or brand of primers. But then I am not a Benchrest shooter with fancy expensive barrel or scope. I hardly get any velocity variations over the chrony.

RustyFN
01-11-2012, 15:57
I dump it into a 4 or 8 pound bottle and mix it up.

labdwakin
01-11-2012, 21:38
What Rusty Said

Dogue
01-12-2012, 09:18
Drop a match in the hopper and burn off that last inch of powder... have stick and marshmallow at the ready.

Jack
I know I'm just encouraging him, but this made me LOL. :rofl: