590 vs 590a1 ( differences ) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 590 vs 590a1 ( differences )

chr_edw
01-10-2012, 15:15
I am having a hard time figuring out the difference between the 590 and 590a1 mossbergs.

Any help ?

bullw
01-10-2012, 17:32
The A1 will have a heavy walled barrel, metal safety and trigger housing which makes it a lot heavier.

Lugi
01-10-2012, 21:29
I am having a hard time figuring out the difference between the 590 and 590a1 mossbergs.

Any help ?

Go to their web site..this will help you, there is many different models even within the (590) models.....they all ain't the same.

The one I'm looking to get is the 590 A1 #51663 When ordering one from a gun shop or the web it will help you and them if YOU decide on what model and get that model number...not just the name like"590" like I said...to many models

Ferdinandd
01-10-2012, 22:23
Ditto on the much heavier. Functionally, the A1 that I owned provided no advantage over a M500. I would guess that its advantage is toughness/resistance to impact or drop breakage. In my limited experience, I've not yet damaged a gun due to drop or impact.

CrackerKen
01-10-2012, 22:33
I recently bought one of these:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_336/products_id/55292

That's a 590A1, model 51411.

In many respects, just like a 500 with the same mag capacity. It is certainly more heavy duty with a thicker, heavier, barrel. The trigger guard and safety button are both metal, instead of the plastic parts on the 500. Mine is parkerized, which is the finish I preferred. The only parkerized 500 I found is one that has a pinned forend, and I didn't want that.

I'm very satisfied with the version I bought.

collim1
01-12-2012, 11:38
I compared the two and settled on the regular 500. The 590 is a beast. I like my shotguns short, light, and handy.

chr_edw
01-12-2012, 14:01
Go to their web site..this will help you, there is many different models even within the (590) models.....they all ain't the same.

The one I'm looking to get is the 590 A1 #51663 When ordering one from a gun shop or the web it will help you and them if YOU decide on what model and get that model number...not just the name like"590" like I said...to many models

Very true they have a ton of different models in each. I have pretty much decided on the 590a1 but not 100% on what options. I know I want the 20" and maybe with the factory ghost sights, but could always add on later.

Anyone have experience with the speedfeed stocks ? I like the idea but I shoot long guns lefty since I am cross eye dominant. Not sure if it would work out.

sns3guppy
01-12-2012, 14:53
I have the 590 and 590A1's, and they're just fine and well suited to their purpose. The 590A1 is considerably beefier, with the thick barrel and metal trigger housing and safety button.

I like the Speedfeed stock, though I wouldn't buy it just for the shell carrier; it's only two a side, and more of a gimmick than anything.

Reswob
01-12-2012, 15:43
I recently bought one of these:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_336/products_id/55292

That's a 590A1, model 51411.

In many respects, just like a 500 with the same mag capacity. It is certainly more heavy duty with a thicker, heavier, barrel. The trigger guard and safety button are both metal, instead of the plastic parts on the 500. Mine is parkerized, which is the finish I preferred. The only parkerized 500 I found is one that has a pinned forend, and I didn't want that.

I'm very satisfied with the version I bought.

And unlike the 500, I believe you can add a 2-round extension to that model.

chr_edw
01-12-2012, 16:06
The 590a1 in 20" will give you 8+1 out of the box. The tube and cap are a little different giving you more room.

megawatt
01-12-2012, 22:36
....I like the Speedfeed stock, though I wouldn't buy it just for the shell carrier; it's only two a side, and more of a gimmick than anything.

Why do you say they are a gimmick?

A side saddle is bulky, can get caught up on clothes, equipment, and the shiggy when you have to walk thru the brush. A speedfeed stock is a slimline way to carry four extra rounds with you, virtually nothing to break. You can drop the gun and not worry about any contact damage.

sns3guppy
01-13-2012, 01:07
Why do you say they are a gimmick?

Because they are. I have Speedfeeds on a couple of 590A1's, and had one on a 590; nothing wrong with them. I don't spend a lot of time training doing tactical reloads using rounds out of the stock, but the rounds are there. I suppose theymight be handy. If I'm down to those and that's my whole world, I may have bigger problems than whether I can jam four extra shot shells in the butt stock.

The 590A1 isn't really a dove hunting firearm. It's a combat arm. Trotting out through the brush and worrying about the sidesaddle is more a matter of proper handling than the side saddle. Carry a box. Carry a bag, Carry a bandolier or drop pouch, or other means. Carry whatever you like. The ability to carry an extra four cartridges is nice, but more of a gimmick than a selling point.

Don't drop the shotgun.

gsp174
01-13-2012, 07:32
You know what goes with the gun when you have a speed feed, 4 extra shells.
'Carry a box. Carry a bag, Carry a bandolier or drop pouch, or other means.'
These things are all there when you need them in a pinch.
"Excuse me sir could you please stop shooting at me so I could get my box, bag, drop pouch so I can get some rounds for this gun, thank you kindly."

Personally not a big fan of bandoliers because it is a free swinging weight when one is trying to aim. Because the only time I have to worry about something getting stuck or tied up with my gun is when I am Dove hunting. Please. Don't you know that Doves are peaceful and don't shoot back.

I have a personally owned speed feed stock and thing that it is a well designed piece of equipment. I work with buttstock side saddles and am not a big fan.

Hopefully I can properly handle the shotgun so that it doesn't become entangled in something, but it helps to minimize that chance before you start.

Reswob
01-13-2012, 12:58
The 590a1 in 20" will give you 8+1 out of the box. The tube and cap are a little different giving you more room.

So will the 590 (non-A1). The mag tube differences are between the 500 receiver and the 590 receiver (which is used in at least one model sold as a "500").

tenntornado
01-13-2012, 14:49
The speedfeed stock with ammo storage built in is generally to long for most people on a defensive shotgun,they are also slower than death to reload from.

Lugi
01-13-2012, 21:15
Very true they have a ton of different models in each. I have pretty much decided on the 590a1 but not 100% on what options. I know I want the 20" and maybe with the factory ghost sights, but could always add on later.

Anyone have experience with the speedfeed stocks ? I like the idea but I shoot long guns lefty since I am cross eye dominant. Not sure if it would work out.

Well if you get the 590A1 with peep sights it will be tap on the top...that would defeat getting ghost sights later, the one I want is #51663 ghost sights, metal trigger/safety with heavy barrel and bayo lug! :supergrin:

I have a speedfeed stock on my 870, it's build like a tank.