Shootin the Lead Out? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shootin the Lead Out?

steve4102
01-10-2012, 21:26
I've been testing out lead bullets in my 10MM 1911. I found they work great, I found they are accurate and I found I have very little if any leading. All good.

My question is about switching over from lead to jacketed in the same range session. I is OK to switch from lead to jacketed without removing whatever minor lead deposits I may have left in the barrel?

What about switching from jacketed to lead? Any reason I should not do this without cleaning?

PCJim
01-10-2012, 21:36
Any lead deposited in your barrel will simply be further engrained into the microscopic pits and crevaces of the barrel if you shoot jacketed loads behind it. Just carry a used bronze cleaning brush wrapped with a few strands of copper Chore Boy and clean the barrel at the range before shooting the jacketed.

I have not read of the reverse occurring, shooting lead after jacketed. Could be due to the lead being much softer, but then the lead could leave a deposit on top of the jacketed, making it that much harder to thoroughly clean the barrel.

Me, I just shoot lead. If for some reason I want to shoot jacketed, I'll clean the barrel before heading to the range, and that pistol will not see any lead until it is again cleaned with Hoppes.

fredj338
01-10-2012, 23:29
What Jim said. One of the last great old shooter's tale of removing lead by shooting jacketed after. A look though a bore scope will show you it only irons the elad in, then plates over it, then the next lead bullet smears off on the copper fouling & this just gets worse & worse unless cleaned out.

shotgunred
01-11-2012, 06:16
You are just not old enough Fred. I am trying to remember what exactly they used to use but people used to put oats or grits or something in with their powder to clean the barrel as they used it. It has been long enough that I don't remember but I think it was oats.

steve4102
01-11-2012, 08:29
Thanks guys.

Hey Fred, what are your thoughts on shooting lead after jacketed?

fredj338
01-11-2012, 09:41
Thanks guys.

Hey Fred, what are your thoughts on shooting lead after jacketed?
As I noted, copper fouling only drags lead off the bullet as it passes over it, kind of like soldering. For best results, stick to one bullet type between cleanings. This goes for moly coated too.
people used to put oats or grits or something in with their powder to clean the barrel as they used it.
I am crying another old shooters tale. I have used CofW for fireforming, it kinda makes a mess, I doubt it would remove leading sticking into the sharp edges of riflng. Cleaing up a leaded bbl is pretty easy: solvent patch then a few brush strokes w/ ChoreBoy & Kroil oil followed by another solvent patch.

DWARREN123
01-11-2012, 10:04
I check my G22/G20 before changing to jacketed after shooting lead. If you see lead then I would clean the bore before changing over.
Just my opinion. :supergrin:

shotgunred
01-11-2012, 17:49
OK I remembered at work today. It was cornmeal. But don't ask me if it works i have never tried it.

chris in va
01-13-2012, 03:59
I shot a FMJ after about 150 LRN through my CZ 75. Seemed to clean out the barrel, although I didn't have a microscope to check.

fredj338
01-13-2012, 09:35
I shot a FMJ after about 150 LRN through my CZ 75. Seemed to clean out the barrel, although I didn't have a microscope to check.

It does push out the bigger pieces, but then irons in the rest & then plates over it. Not good for accuracy or eventually safety as pressures will start to rise w/o a good cleaning.

SigFTW
01-13-2012, 12:03
I have switch from lead to copper and the other way around at one range session without any problems. I also clean my guns before each range visit, it's just something I enjoy doing. However, Fred brought up a good point that I didnít think about "stick to one bullet type between cleanings", that's just a good rule of thumb.

I do think it could be a problem if you don't "properly" clean out the lead and think you can just shoot FMJ to clean your barrel. I have heard and read some comments about this.

fredj338
01-13-2012, 12:29
Clean your gun often, switching bullet types isn't that big deal, but can be, depending on the amount of leading you are getting. Continuing the process w/o cleaning & you have a prettty big mess in your bbl, much of it you won't see.