Joined the "mouse gun" club [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Joined the "mouse gun" club

GSSF17
01-11-2012, 08:00
Hey all-

I just purchased a Masterpiece Arms Protector II, in .380. Cool little gun, and thought I'd do a quick review of initial impressions. I have lost some weight and concealing a G 27 is becoming a bit more difficult, plus, I just wanted a pocket gun.

http://www.theonlinegunshop.com/shoppingcart/product_images/z/072/MPA380S_1__50470.jpg

I have had the little legos, Kel-Tecs and the LCP. Sold them. No problems, just could take it or leave it kinda thing. I am staying away from the Diamondbacks because too many bad reviews.

This weapon is all metal, and NOT a polymer frame. The fit and finish are excellent. Weighs only 2 more ounces than the LCP unloaded, and is smaller. Mine came with a single groove in the top of the slide for sighting, not with the raised sight pictured above.

After a good cleaning, I shot 18 rounds of Cor-Bon through it, with no problems at all. Good feeding, ejecting, and accurate enough for what it is. Trigger reset is consistent and similar to the Kel-Tec, which is all the way at the top (beginning) of the pull. Mine came with the pinky extension on the mag, which I removed. The weapon comes with one mag with a std. floorplate, and a pinky extension, as well as an extra magazine spring. Manual says the extra mag spring is included with the pistol to accomodate a wide variety of the ammo choices out there. First I have heard of something like that, but anyway. The mag release is shown above on the right side rear of the grip, which is good for a pocket gun, allowing for sure mag releases and no accidental mag drops resulting from pressures of pocket carry. Well thought out ergos on the weapon make it a comfortable draw from the pocket from a blackhawk #1 pocket holster.

Gun carries well and literally fits in the palm of my hand. I opted for the stainless finish, due to only being a few more bucks than blued. I purchased it at Bud's gunshop online, and have just over 300 in it to include FFL fees. Pretty hard to beat.

Safe shooting, everyone.

MarcDW
01-11-2012, 08:05
...I have lost some weight and concealing a G 27 is becoming a bit more difficult, ...

A Baby Glock to large to conceal?
Yeah, you properly don't want to go outside when the wind is more then 15 mph!
Congrats on the Protector, I would make sure it works right before I leave without the G27.

GSSF17
01-11-2012, 08:06
A Baby Glock to large to conceal?
Yeah, you properly don't want to go outside when the wind is more then 15 mph!
Congrats on the Protector, I would make sure it works right before I leave without the G27.

MPA works well, and as far as concealing the weapon, I live in FL. You only need a shirt about 3 weeks out of the year down here. I took the trash out this morning in shorts and flip flops. 6'2" and 200 lbs, a G27 looks like a fax machine in my pocket :rofl:

MarcDW
01-11-2012, 08:42
When I am in FL I just have a shirt out of pens with short and a belt for the holster. I use a Walther PPS in 9mm.
But then, I am in FL about once or twice a year.
Prefer a less populated areas.

TN.Frank
01-11-2012, 09:28
I use to be a member, I still miss that little Kel-Tec P32 that I use to own. :crying:

bac1023
01-11-2012, 09:29
Congrats! :cool:

Gregg702
01-11-2012, 10:14
That is a cool looking little gun, never heard of it before, but now I will have to look into it. Here are my mouseguns, and welcome to the club!
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i279/BadReligion702/3485f563.jpg

Bob Hafler
01-11-2012, 10:44
Congrats
I still have that little Kel Tec P3at that I carry on special ocassions. It's been a great little Deep CC tool. It been as reliable as any gun I own. Including my G26. I've sold or traded a few guns in the last couple years and thought about getting rid of it a couple times but just couldn't find a good enough reason. I carry mine mostly at weddings and funerals. ETC.

GSSF17
01-11-2012, 15:02
I had some issues with oxidation with the Kel Tecs here in FL- such moist environment(s). I had to keep so much oil on the slide, I was afraid I'd get oil on my clothing....

We'll see how this one works out.

Gregg702
01-11-2012, 15:04
I had some issues with oxidation with the Kel Tecs here in FL- such moist environment(s). I had to keep so much oil on the slide, I was afraid I'd get oil on my clothing....

Please let us know. It is a very interesting looking little gun.

Cap'n
01-11-2012, 16:00
GSSF17, I'm another interested in your future experience with this pistol.

I'd never heard of the company, but that .380 looks interesting.

Reaper19
01-11-2012, 16:31
Congrats!! I love pocket guns! My GF bought me a Phoenix Arms HP22 for xmas. Not much for SD but a fun little gun for plinking.

For $300 that seems like a pretty good deal. Im gonna check one out.

Taphius
01-11-2012, 16:34
been looking at one of these for awhile, found out about the company as buddy was looking at the mpa 930s. Its nice to see a metal pocket gun in 380

GSSF17
01-11-2012, 16:52
Thanks guys. Yes, I will keep you all posted.

As I said, I ran nearly a box of cor-bons (18 rounds) though it with no probs. This is not a range gun, nor is it one that I plan to fire often. I will run a box of carry ammunition though it about once a year. For those of you that are familiar, it is VERY similar to a Seecamp pistol, but at a significantly less cost.

There are some youtubes of this pistol out there and some other reviews. The main negative review I found was one that came with the wrong recoil spring; it was a 380 and came with a .32 recoil spring. Once that was replaced, good to go.

So far I am pleased.

cowboywannabe
01-11-2012, 17:01
i didnt know Autauga arms moved to florida....

barth
01-11-2012, 17:17
I always wanted a gun to fill this role but never felt comfortable with a .380.
My solution?
S&W 342 ti - empty 11.1 oz
loaded 13.5 with Speer GDHP Short Barrel 38 +P 135 gr
http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/bullet_tests.htm
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo10/40/6d/2f91bc77e62d__1310338634000.jpeg
http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/prodimages/7128-DEFAULT-l.jpg

GSSF17
01-11-2012, 17:19
i didnt know Autauga arms moved to florida....

Autauga Arms went out of business in 2002. MPAs are made in Georgia.

GSSF17
01-11-2012, 17:21
@Barth- Yes, I love a revolver, don't get me wrong. But I never considered my Detective Special a mouse gun..... That setup you posted is hard to beat :thumbsup:

frank_drebin
01-11-2012, 22:19
This gun is made by a local company. The shops around here recently toured the facilities and were very impressed with their setup. I handled one at Elite and, aside from the stiff mag release, really liked the feel. I may grab one when I get my bonus.

Sent from my I897 using Tapatalk

svtpwnz
01-11-2012, 22:47
Congrats!

cowboywannabe
01-11-2012, 23:04
Autauga Arms went out of business in 2002. MPAs are made in Georgia.

looks exactly like an autauga arms .32acp
not similar, exactly.

sdsnet
01-11-2012, 23:07
tagged for later review

hogship
01-11-2012, 23:41
I believe this is the first time I've heard from anyone who purchased a MPA. I saw a video of one of these being produced, and it looked very high tech. If you have your LCP, how about a comparison photo....?

Good luck with this MPA.....it's very interesting.

ooc

GSSF17
01-12-2012, 09:16
I believe this is the first time I've heard from anyone who purchased a MPA. I saw a video of one of these being produced, and it looked very high tech. If you have your LCP, how about a comparison photo....?

Good luck with this MPA.....it's very interesting.

ooc

Sorry Hog, Sold the LCP....but I will try to get my hands on one and snap a pic. I have some friends that have some and will try to run one down.:cool:

frank_drebin
01-21-2012, 23:44
I almost bought one of these a few weeks ago. Everything about it felt "quality" and the machining was phenomenal. I was very close but the shop only had blued models in stock.

frank_drebin
01-30-2012, 09:33
Any updates? I'm looking at getting one this week and want to hear your overall opinions if they've changed. Thanks

GSSF17
01-30-2012, 09:54
I really like this for pocket carry. I plan on shooting it every couple months, just a mag or 2 at a time. I have not shot it since I first got it. I have kept the magazine loaded continuously, and spring seems strong. I will post a report in about 3 weeks when I shoot it again. I don't think you'll be disappointed- I am certainly not. Good luck and will update......

frank_drebin
01-30-2012, 10:15
Which spring are you using in the magazine? My understanding is that it comes with two for "timing" purposes.

cowboywannabe
01-30-2012, 10:49
its basically a LWS copy but at about half the price, which is a good thing.

NAA tried the LWS copy with the .32acp and it went well but couldnt do it in .380acp like LWS can.

this autauga look-a-like reformed company under a different name LWS design made by MPA (:rofl: had to do that).....could be a real winner for folks wanting LWS size in .380acp with NAA prices.

KarlThomas
01-30-2012, 11:07
Wow. Just looked this little guy up and it looks like I can pick one up new for about $280. Looks to be pretty tiny. Seems like a great value to me.

cowboywannabe
01-30-2012, 11:26
$280.00 is a great price! if its close to LWS quality.

im not crazy about the LWS .32acp recoil....i dont think id like it in .38acp either, and even less so.

but for that price....i might have to try it.

frank_drebin
01-30-2012, 13:00
Just went over to my local shop during lunch. They had two of them @ $279 each. They also had an NAA for $350. I could not believe how heavy the NAA was in comparison.

Bob Hafler
01-30-2012, 13:05

I use a dri lube on mine. I spray some into a cap and apply with a 1/4" artist brush. Seems to due quite well at keeping it rust free and lubed. Good little inexpensive pocket piece, but sure isn't much fun to shoot. I can't complain though it has been very reliable and was never advertised to be a target pistol.

GSSF17
01-30-2012, 19:07
Which spring are you using in the magazine? My understanding is that it comes with two for "timing" purposes.

Thanks for the replies...

I kept the magazine spring that came in the mag in it. It came with a pinky ext. floorplate, but that's still in the box and I have the standard, flat floorplate on it with the factory standard mag spring. Works well so far.

GSSF17
02-26-2012, 17:15
12 more rounds- 2 mags with the +1 worth of Speer GDHP this afternoon, and functioned flawlessly. Both mags have stayed loaded since I bought the pistol (shoulda clarified I had 2 mags...), and pulled straight from the holster and fired. CLP is the only lube on the gun, and was applied after the initial cleaning.

Very pleased. :thumbsup:

frank_drebin
03-09-2012, 07:07
Just picked this one up recently. Now that they have the beavertail I had to go for it. The first thing I notice is that this gun does not like Hornady Critical Defense and they stick in the chamber. Every other ammo I have cycles flawlessly.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/Magnum%20Research/2012-03-08210338.jpg

GSSF17
03-09-2012, 08:42
Just picked this one up recently. Now that they have the beavertail I had to go for it. The first thing I notice is that this gun does not like Hornady Critical Defense and they stick in the chamber. Every other ammo I have cycles flawlessly.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/Magnum%20Research/2012-03-08210338.jpg

Nice! Yeah, I like mine for sure. I will keep that in mind about the Hornady CD ammo- I use Speer Gold Dots, which is the only ammo I have fired through the pistol. I put the finger extension on the mag as well. Congrats on your new gun! :thumbsup:

frank_drebin
03-09-2012, 08:50
So does yours have the beavertail? Mine says MPA Protector II on the slide. It's stainless with a ported barrel.

GSSF17
03-09-2012, 17:08
So does yours have the beavertail? Mine says MPA Protector II on the slide. It's stainless with a ported barrel.

Yes- MPA Protector II with ported barrel and the beavertail.

cowboywannabe
03-09-2012, 22:13
Yes- MPA Protector II with ported barrel and the beavertail.

ported bbl? can you post more pix from various angles? also what is standard on the gun and what is extra?

thanks.

GSSF17
03-10-2012, 10:22
ported bbl? can you post more pix from various angles? also what is standard on the gun and what is extra?

thanks.

MPA Protector is different from the Protector II, from what I have read. The Protector II has the beavertail, comes with one mag, either with a flat floorplate or the pinky extension, and an extra mag spring. There are no sights, just a groove. Here is a pic of the ports:

***deleted***

gruntmedik
03-10-2012, 10:38
I was all about finding one of these, right up until I saw it is ported. Personal preference, but I don't agree with ported barrels on defensive handguns.

JRS
03-10-2012, 13:02
I was all about finding one of these, right up until I saw it is ported. Personal preference, but I don't agree with ported barrels on defensive handguns.

so find yourself a first gen model.

HeliGlock
03-10-2012, 13:24
Congrats on the new 380. Looks pretty Awesome. I carry the Walther PPK in 380 ACP and fits very nice in the pocket and also Doubles as a Backup. Keep us Posted.

GSSF17
03-10-2012, 15:57
Ports don't bother me. I actually had no idea it was ported until I got it. Designed as such for a reason, I figure. This weapon is engineered well and the attention to detail is admirable.

cloudbuster
03-10-2012, 18:24
Is that the magazine release on the left side of the grip? That looks like an awful spot for a lefty. Completely covered by your palm, so you'd have to practically switch hands just to eject the mag. Might even cause you to accidentally drop the mag just from gripping too hard. Don't people even think a little bit about lefties when designing a gun? After all these years?

GSSF17
03-10-2012, 18:36
Is that the magazine release on the left side of the grip? That looks like an awful spot for a lefty. Completely covered by your palm, so you'd have to practically switch hands just to eject the mag. Might even cause you to accidentally drop the mag just from gripping too hard. Don't people even think a little bit about lefties when designing a gun? After all these years?

That is, in fact, the mag release. It is there and has to be pressed toward the rear of the pistols, to keep from accidentally releasing the mag during he pressures and bends/twists of pocket carry. Pretty slick, I think. For a lefty, I triedn this; gripped the pistol in my left hand and used my bird finger to eject the mag. Pistol was held by my thumb and forefinger. Or a simple 2 handed manipulation of the grip and release is easy, no matter righty or lefty. Just my observation.

But I seriously doubt you would be doing rapid magazine changes in a .380 mousegun in a self defense situation. If you are, you are in a bad friggin situation. That said, it's not impossible by any means.

cloudbuster
03-10-2012, 18:58
I seriously doubt you would be doing rapid magazine changes in a .380 mousegun in a self defense situation.

Probably not, but I like to have the option :). I'd have to give it a try and see if I found it awkward.

frank_drebin
03-10-2012, 20:02
Probably not, but I like to have the option :). I'd have to give it a try and see if I found it awkward.

As the smallest 380 auto made there have been some concessions. This is definitely one of them.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

GSSF17
09-14-2012, 18:35
2 more mags of Speer GDHPs put though it this afternoon, mags have stayed loaded since March. Functioned flawlessly.

Still very happy with this little pocket pistol.

JuneyBooney
09-15-2012, 01:51
MPA works well, and as far as concealing the weapon, I live in FL. You only need a shirt about 3 weeks out of the year down here. I took the trash out this morning in shorts and flip flops. 6'2" and 200 lbs, a G27 looks like a fax machine in my pocket :rofl:

You have to place it close to your jewels and make yourself look "large". :rofl:

GSSF17
09-15-2012, 06:57
Yeah, the whole, "is that a gun in your pocket or are you happy to see me?":rofl:

In all seriousness, I have carried this pistol often this summer and fall and it was a good buy. I had not fired it since the spring, and when I went shooting yesterday, I grabbed it and the 2 loaded mags (that stay loaded). I pull it out of the holster, pocket lint and all, and it goes bang every time. Very pleased.

Darkangel1846
09-15-2012, 10:20
My little KelTec .380 does just fine for the job it was made for. Its larger brother Mr. Glock 29 does the heavy work.

deputy tom
09-15-2012, 16:34
Yeah, the whole, "is that a gun in your pocket or are you happy to see me?":rofl:

In all seriousness, I have carried this pistol often this summer and fall and it was a good buy. I had not fired it since the spring, and when I went shooting yesterday, I grabbed it and the 2 loaded mags (that stay loaded). I pull it out of the holster, pocket lint and all, and it goes bang every time. Very pleased.

Good info. I know someone looking for an inexpensive pocket pistol. tom.:thumbsup:

Unk
09-15-2012, 18:31
GSSF17, at 6'2" and 200 pounds you are a little light for a 27 or bear hunting with a switch.

I grew out of the following mouse guns. in order;

Iver Johnson TP22 .22 LR
High Standard Derringer .22 Magnum
AMT Back Up .380
Mod 60 .38 Special..still got it, see;

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii228/Schemer2/MOD60004.jpg

having a primary made them seem OK.. at the time. Lusted in my heart for Seacamp .32 between the .22 magnum and the .380. I've recently read that a sharp pointy stick is better than nothing.

Have fun with your mouser.

frank_drebin
10-29-2012, 20:16
Any updates GSSF17? Mine has been flawless (aside from not feeding any Hornady CD ammo) through 350 rounds now. I can point shoot a 16oz coke bottle at 15' with a comfortable regularity.

GSSF17
10-30-2012, 06:55
Any updates GSSF17? Mine has been flawless (aside from not feeding any Hornady CD ammo) through 350 rounds now. I can point shoot a 16oz coke bottle at 15' with a comfortable regularity.

I run Speer Gold dots and have had ZERO problems. Great little pistol. I have not shot it outside of 7 yards, but the rounds go where I aim and it goes bang every time.

I shoot it every couple months. I leave the mags loaded and shoot them empty- last time I shot it was in September. I will shoot it again this weekend.