D&L Sports 1911, why no love?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : D&L Sports 1911, why no love??

CD0311
01-11-2012, 11:47
A few years ago Dave Lauck from www.dlsports.com customized my Springfield 1911, the thing was amazing!
I have been seeing topics like "my last 1911" "which 1911" and so on but it seems like I'm the only one that has had or knows about them.

Is there anyone else?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

faawrenchbndr
01-11-2012, 11:56
I've never seen one of his 1911s. I have seen some of his rifle
and revolver work. He is a VERY talented 'Smith!

bac1023
01-11-2012, 13:14
He definitely has talent.

CD0311
01-12-2012, 09:28
He has guns reviewed on magazines and comments by writers every once in a while but I never hear about him on forums to much.

I think he had a 1911 on last months issue of "combat hahdguns"

Mayhem like Me
01-12-2012, 09:40
I posted his "Watchmen Guns" before, He is very talented , some don't like the work some do, I would love to have one of his railed longslide guns, set up for 45 super...

RetailNinja
01-12-2012, 11:09
Impressive work but he jacked the bajezeus out of an ARFcom member years ago. Member then posted the emails after things went bad and D wouldn't resolve the issue. He belongs to an elite group of extremely talented mondo ******s. No Love.

CD0311
01-13-2012, 23:19
That was it😭

Officer's Match
01-13-2012, 23:22
There is a Colt done by D&L right next to my shop at a pawn shop. Owner has tried for years to get me to buy it. It appears very well done, naked slide too.

Jim Watson
01-14-2012, 08:09
If it has been there for years, he should be getting right on the price.

MStarmer
01-15-2012, 11:05
I heard of him. I had him build a "Professional" or at least most of that model on a stainless Colt back in 1990. He does very nice work, gun was flawlessly reliable and stunning to look at. At around 18k the slide developed a crack from the firing pin stop to the firing pin plunger and Colt wouldn't warranty it due to the customization and he argued that it was a bad slide. Unfortunately I was stuck in the middle, the gun was rebuilt (at my cost with a reduced labor fee) and I was always bitter and ended up trading it off. I swore the next time I would get a Wilson or Baer so if I was in the same position it would have been easier to get fixed. My next purchase was a Baer TRS, wasn't at the same level as D+L but I wasn't afraid to shoot it.

When I had the gun built I was expecting a 75k service life with minimal fuss, I was disappointed at such a low round count. I don't shoot nearly that much anymore so anything I have or get built will probably last me a lifetime but in 1990 dollars the money I paid him was a fortune. It was a great gun, I took quite a few high count classes, ipsc matches, plates, bowling pin. Always fed and function with anything I put in it and using just about any mag laying around. I primarily kept 4 wilson 47D's mated to that gun but I did have a handful of shooting stars for matches and classes where I wasn't worried about them falling on the ground / floor getting stepped on.

Officer's Match
01-15-2012, 12:01
If it has been there for years, he should be getting right on the price.

It had been built for a retiring local police officer. It has since been back to have the name removed from the slide, hence the nakedness.

RetailNinja
01-15-2012, 12:48
That was it😭

Possibly, but the rear sight looks wrong.

glock2740
01-15-2012, 13:08
He makes some good looking guns.

dakrat
01-15-2012, 14:34
I have never heard of them before but it appears that he is a very talented psmith. thanks for sharing

CD0311
01-16-2012, 19:58
Possibly, but the rear sight looks wrong.

Heine 8s. What's wrong with them?😡

CD0311
01-16-2012, 20:01
I heard of him. I had him build a "Professional" or at least most of that model on a stainless Colt back in 1990. He does very nice work, gun was flawlessly reliable and stunning to look at. At around 18k the slide developed a crack from the firing pin stop to the firing pin plunger and Colt wouldn't warranty it due to the customization and he argued that it was a bad slide. Unfortunately I was stuck in the middle, the gun was rebuilt (at my cost with a reduced labor fee) and I was always bitter and ended up trading it off. I swore the next time I would get a Wilson or Baer so if I was in the same position it would have been easier to get fixed. My next purchase was a Baer TRS, wasn't at the same level as D+L but I wasn't afraid to shoot it.

When I had the gun built I was expecting a 75k service life with minimal fuss, I was disappointed at such a low round count. I don't shoot nearly that much anymore so anything I have or get built will probably last me a lifetime but in 1990 dollars the money I paid him was a fortune. It was a great gun, I took quite a few high count classes, ipsc matches, plates, bowling pin. Always fed and function with anything I put in it and using just about any mag laying around. I primarily kept 4 wilson 47D's mated to that gun but I did have a handful of shooting stars for matches and classes where I wasn't worried about them falling on the ground / floor getting stepped on. That sucks! Bad slide?! Colt should of taken care of it. But I can understand why they didn't.
I would give my left $&@ for his Pro model!

MStarmer
01-17-2012, 09:01
Yes, I understood both sides. That is a pitfall when going full house custom if the part you start with is (unknowingly) substandard. Although the round count wasn't that high for a competitive shooter most pistols would never have seen that high of a number. I'll have to dig out some pictures of it and get them scanned in. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Dave's work, it is outstanding. My dream gun now is one done by Chuck Rodgers but I don't think he's accepting any work.

MStarmer
01-17-2012, 16:53
Here's the only pic I could find off the top of my head. This was after the rebuild with the new 70 series slide that he insisted on putting the stupid series 80 parts in. I did spring for a Bar-Sto tube while he had it. I should have kept it....

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg68/mstarmer/DandL.jpg

RetailNinja
01-18-2012, 12:54
Heine 8s. What's wrong with them?😡

Nothing's wrong with Heinies. What was wrong is that the rear sight used was a horrible copy, designed to fit GI cuts w/o machining, resulting in a lot of overhang over the rear. The guy was quoted $1700 (guesstimate, not going to search for the actual numbers) worth of work done, and D&L agreed to do the work. D&L then footed him an outrageous bill for over $3k. The guy said WTF and D&L said that the guy should have known that D&L couldn't do the $1700 worth of work w/o doing $1300 worth of prep and reliability work. Add to that the knock off sights.