45 gap [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 45 gap

Melissa5
01-11-2012, 17:00
Hi! I just picked up a G37 for use in GSSF matches and want to reload for it. The problem is that I want to use Unique and I'm having a problem finding load data. I did find a recipe on the Alliant site, but it was for 200 gr GDHP http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipePrint.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=200&shellid=34&bulletid=60&bdid=177. Would that also be good for my chosen bullet or would I have to adjust the charge? Sorry to be such a newbie.

PCJim
01-11-2012, 17:15
Hi! I just picked up a G37 for use in GSSF matches and want to reload for it. The problem is that I want to use Unique and I'm having a problem finding load data. I did find a recipe on the Alliant site, but it was for 200 gr GDHP http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipePrint.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=200&shellid=34&bulletid=60&bdid=177. Would that also be good for my chosen bullet or would I have to adjust the charge? Sorry to be such a newbie.

Melissa, it would seem you did not carefully read the preamble to Alliant's reloading data. You did read the warning that the stated charges listed are max charges for the components and testing apparatus used?

You did not state your "chosen bullet". Bullet weight, composition and sometimes profile all require consideration before a charge weight and/or COL can be determined. Your reloading books will have taught this, and would have stated that you always work up a charge from the minimum charge stated for a specific bullet weight/type/profile.

Not trying to bust your chops, but the information provided was really vague and leads one to believe you haven't done your part before coming here.

Melissa5
01-11-2012, 17:25
Melissa, it would seem you did not carefully read the preamble to Alliant's reloading data. You did read the warning that the stated charges listed are max charges for the components and testing apparatus used?

You did not state your "chosen bullet". Bullet weight, composition and sometimes profile all require consideration before a charge weight and/or COL can be determined. Your reloading books will have taught this, and would have stated that you always work up a charge from the minimum charge stated for a specific bullet weight/type/profile.

Not trying to bust your chops, but the information provided was really vague and leads one to believe you haven't done your part before coming here.

LOL! I TOLD you I was a newbie. So far, I haven't had to work up any loads since I have been able to find recipes in my Hornady manual. My chosen bullet is a 200 gr X-treme copper plated bullet. The diameter is 0.452. I am not experienced enough to know how much I can reduce the max. charge to get a min. charge without producing a squib.

fredj338
01-11-2012, 18:16
LOL! I TOLD you I was a newbie. So far, I haven't had to work up any loads since I have been able to find recipes in my Hornady manual. My chosen bullet is a 200 gr X-treme copper plated bullet. The diameter is 0.452. I am not experienced enough to know how much I can reduce the max. charge to get a min. charge without producing a squib.

Plated bullets should load somewhere between a lead bullet & a jacketed bullet. So you would want to be well off the 200grGDHP data on the Alliant site. As long as the slide cycles, there is little risk of the bullet sticking in the bbl. Alliant recommend reducing their max daat by 10% & working it back up. I would do that & go up in 0.1gr increments.

Melissa5
01-11-2012, 18:34
Plated bullets should load somewhere between a lead bullet & a jacketed bullet. So you would want to be well off the 200grGDHP data on the Alliant site. As long as the slide cycles, there is little risk of the bullet sticking in the bbl. Alliant recommend reducing their max daat by 10% & working it back up. I would do that & go up in 0.1gr increments.

Thank you, Fred. That was very helpful and appreciated.

Colorado4Wheel
01-11-2012, 18:43
I would reduce more then 10%. 10% would be what you do for the fmj bullet. Your shooting plated. Reduce it a little more. Maybe. 2 grs more. Welcome to the forum.

fredj338
01-11-2012, 21:29
I would reduce more then 10%. 10% would be what you do for the fmj bullet. Your shooting plated. Reduce it a little more. Maybe. 2 grs more. Welcome to the forum.

I don't think she's loading BlueDot in that GAP, realy 2.0gr????? I suggested 10% as I find 10% reduction for jacketed in many calibers is below starting in other manuals. Alliant has 6.8gr as max & SPeer shows the same bullet @ 6.7gr STARTING. So a 10% reduction, call it 6gr, is likely to be right about where she wants it to be. IF you want softer, just reduce 0.2gr until the slide won't cycle. Then go up 0.2gr & check for reliabilty. Again, it's almost impossible to stick a bullet if the slide has enough force to cycle. Load in small lots of no more than 5 test rounds.

PCJim
01-11-2012, 22:04
She referenced a Unique load recipe for the 200gr GDHP. 6.0gr should be a good starting point for the plated bullet. I'm pretty sure its a RN design, so she will need to load longer than the stated 1.07. Melissa, load those rounds as long as you can and still be able to fit into the magazine. You can increase the charge in .1 or .2gr increments for increased pressure/velocity if needed or wanted. Just pay attention to what the rounds are telling you in your pistol.

I can't get over that COL. Thats short 9mm territory. Just doesn't seem right for the big 45 cal bullets...

Colorado4Wheel
01-11-2012, 22:15
I don't think she's loading BlueDot in that GAP, realy 2.0gr????? I suggested 10% as I find 10% reduction for jacketed in many calibers is below starting in other manuals. Alliant has 6.8gr as max & SPeer shows the same bullet @ 6.7gr STARTING. So a 10% reduction, call it 6gr, is likely to be right about where she wants it to be. IF you want softer, just reduce 0.2gr until the slide won't cycle. Then go up 0.2gr & check for reliabilty. Again, it's almost impossible to stick a bullet if the slide has enough force to cycle. Load in small lots of no more than 5 test rounds.

I meant .2 grs. That was a cell phone typo.

Steve Koski
01-12-2012, 00:26
I have a similar questions:

A friend of mine has a few hundred 230 HAP (JHP profile) bullets he want to burn up in his GAP. Does anyone have load data for 230 JHP's in a GAP with Unique (or any other powder for that matter)?

Thanks,

Koski

HexHead
01-12-2012, 10:22
The 49th edition Lyman manual has .45 GAP loading data.

Steve Koski
01-12-2012, 11:31
For 230 JHP's?

Melissa5
01-12-2012, 17:57
Thanks for the great information, guys. I was waiting to see what ya'll said about reducing 2 whole grains.

fredj338
01-12-2012, 18:03
She referenced a Unique load recipe for the 200gr GDHP. 6.0gr should be a good starting point for the plated bullet. I'm pretty sure its a RN design, so she will need to load longer than the stated 1.07. Melissa, load those rounds as long as you can and still be able to fit into the magazine. You can increase the charge in .1 or .2gr increments for increased pressure/velocity if needed or wanted. Just pay attention to what the rounds are telling you in your pistol.

I can't get over that COL. Thats short 9mm territory. Just doesn't seem right for the big 45 cal bullets...

That's why I have never warmed to the GAP round. It just looks wierd & offers me little if anything over a sim pistol in 45acp. Nothing against it, just don't want yet another caliber to load for.:yawn:

dkf
01-12-2012, 18:12
For 230 JHP's?

Nope. Only FMJ in 230gr and 185gr in JHP. No Unique data for any of the GAP loads.

unclebob
01-12-2012, 18:16
That's why I have never warmed to the GAP round. It just looks wierd & offers me little if anything over a sim pistol in 45acp. Nothing against it, just don't want yet another caliber to load for.:yawn:

That is what I thought until I tried it.

Colorado4Wheel
01-12-2012, 18:29

I don't know how you can say that. The GAP is a near clone for the ACP. Close enough that I wouldn't care about shooting it vs the acp. Your the guy who constantly says use a slow powder vs a fast powder because you won't notice the difference. So it's got to be close enough to not be a difference. BUT in the end, the GAP lets you shoot a similar cartridge to the 45acp but in a small frame Glock. That is a HUGE difference and worth a lot. I mean a huge amount. I really don't like my G20 because of the big frame. Not sure if I will get rid of it but I hate the frame size.

fredj338
01-12-2012, 18:55
I don't know how you can say that. The GAP is a near clone for the ACP. Close enough that I wouldn't care about shooting it vs the acp. Your the guy who constantly says use a slow powder vs a fast powder because you won't notice the difference. So it's got to be close enough to not be a difference. BUT in the end, the GAP lets you shoot a similar cartridge to the 45acp but in a small frame Glock. That is a HUGE difference and worth a lot. I mean a huge amount. I really don't like my G20 because of the big frame. Not sure if I will get rid of it but I hate the frame size.

For Glock shooters maybe. For say a 1911 or XD, no appreciable diff in guns size if any at all. Since I am really not a GLock shooter, even though I own several, the GAP makes no sense to me. If I was a Glock afficienado, then I would agree, I don't like the G20/21 either. :yawn:
BTW, what does the GAP have to do with powder charges Steve? That statement I will always stand behind; use the appropriate powder for the task, never said anything diff. The fact I don't like TG is a personal pref I have backed up many, many times. The fact many disagree doesn't change my informed opinion.:supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
01-12-2012, 19:04
I notice a big difference between medium burn and fast burn powders. You don't from what you say. So if you don't notice the difference between unique and tg then the difference between gap and acp would be even less. Never shot a gap for the record. But from all reports they are very similar if not the gap being nicer.

dbarry
01-12-2012, 19:08
That is what I thought until I tried it.

Thats right uncle bob! Once you try Gap you'll never... darn

maybe Jack can help me out again... :O)

GioaJack
01-12-2012, 19:27
Thats right uncle bob! Once you try Gap you'll never... darn

maybe Jack can help me out again... :O)

Once you try Gap... you'll never be able to look yourself in the mirror because you'll have shattered your self-esteem by admitting that you're too much of a wussie to handle the manly, full powered .45 acp.

Did that rhyme? :dunno:

Jack

Melissa5
01-12-2012, 19:30
I've got a G30SF with a grip reduction and it is still bigger than the G37 grip. The G37, especially the Gen 4, fits my hand.

dbarry
01-12-2012, 19:48
Once you try Gap... you'll never be able to look yourself in the mirror because you'll have shattered your self-esteem by admitting that you're too much of a wussie to handle the manly, full powered .45 acp.

Did that rhyme? :dunno:

Jack

wow, that was rife with sarcasm. i'll just pull up my skirt and go home.
a bit disappointed though - thought you'd try to rhyme an answer nobody thought to...

... ask John Browning in the first place.

unclebob
01-12-2012, 20:15
I've got a G30SF with a grip reduction and it is still bigger than the G37 grip. The G37, especially the Gen 4, fits my hand.

I had a Glock 30 and 21 full size. I sold both of them and bought the 30SF and 21SF. I have the G38 that is my carry gun. I did have a G37 but it was a safe queen. And I found someone that what one so I sold it. Iím not a big fan of the G36 or the G39, or of any of the 10mm and .357Sig.
Another reason why I have been told why they came out with the 45 gap. Is that some countries the public cannot own a military cartridge firearm. So that means they cannot own 9mm.38, 45acp, 308, 30-06 etc.
Try it you will like it.

GioaJack
01-12-2012, 20:29
Oh alright.

Once you try Gap... loading will be a snap.

Once you try Gap... everything else will be crap.

Once you try Gap... you'll be able to rap.

Once you try Gap... girls will beg to sit in your lap.

And the lazy writer's obvious fall back on cliche...

Once you try Gap... you'll never go back.

(They never should have invented the stupid caliber... but at least they didn't name it, ORANGE. Nothing rhymes with that.)

Jack

dbarry
01-12-2012, 21:08
Gaston probably made many of his jet payments with the invention of that caliber. If only he could provide Melissa with the amount of said favorite propellant for that controversial little piece of brass...

oh well, nice rhymes though, Mr Deeds! :O)

fredj338
01-12-2012, 22:11
I notice a big difference between medium burn and fast burn powders. You don't from what you say. So if you don't notice the difference between unique and tg then the difference between gap and acp would be even less. Never shot a gap for the record. But from all reports they are very similar if not the gap being nicer.
Just not following you Steve. I see no point in buying say an XD or 1911 to shoot the GAP & the resulting more expensive brass to get the same affect as the 45acp which is a bigger hole in the target.:dunno: Again, if I was a GLock lover & wanted a smaller 45cal, then the GLock would make perfect sense, especially if I wanted a compact. Again, for me, I don't get it. BTW, I can tell the diff in recoil from one powder to another, my point has always been it doesn't matter to 95% of the shooters out there. You can either shoot or you can't. Changing powders isn't going to make you BENos. Like golf, this or that ball may be better but to 95% of the golfers, they just are not going to realize it.:upeyes:

Colorado4Wheel
01-12-2012, 22:21
In one breath you say it's pointless and then the other you see it has a purpose. I guess I am confused. It serves a purpose. Some people really like it. Obviously you don't. No one is trying to convince you to like it.

Steve Koski
01-12-2012, 22:26
Nope. Only FMJ in 230gr and 185gr in JHP. No Unique data for any of the GAP loads.

Thanks anyway for checking DFK.

Koski

fredj338
01-13-2012, 02:13
In one breath you say it's pointless and then the other you see it has a purpose. I guess I am confused. It serves a purpose. Some people really like it. Obviously you don't. No one is trying to convince you to like it.

I SAID FOR ME! Anyone ever tell you you have communication issues, geeze..:upeyes: I never said the GAP shuld be banned or only girls shoot it, I just don't get it. I even outlined a reason I could like it, but since I am not a huge GLock fan, aint gonna happen.:yawn:

Colorado4Wheel
01-13-2012, 07:56
Thanks.

Hoser
01-13-2012, 08:41
Try using Clays (plain old version) or Titegroup for the 200s.

For Clays start with 3.1 with an OAL of 1.100

For Tg start with 4.0 and an OAL of 1.100

unclebob
01-13-2012, 08:59
Since Hozer opened the door. 200grain X-Treme bullet 4.2 of Titegroup at 1.077 820FPS. That is what a lot of us use for GSSF using the gap.

Melissa5
01-13-2012, 12:54
Since Hozer opened the door. 200grain X-Treme bullet 4.2 of Titegroup at 1.077 820FPS. That is what a lot of us use for GSSF using the gap.

Thanks, unclebob! Great information!

dbarry
01-13-2012, 17:19
No one is trying to convince you to like it.

I WILL, I WILL!

Once you've tried GAP, ACP is like, well crap! Thanks JACK!

:O)

...i'm kidding, I luv my 1911 too.

Hoser
01-14-2012, 10:12
I WILL, I WILL!

Once you've tried GAP, ACP is like, well crap! Thanks JACK!

And making a 1911 work with GAP is just a barrel change. Too easy.

steve dziadul
01-14-2012, 19:44
i found 7gr unique under the rainer 185gr plated bullet in my glock 39 was a nice load no signs of high pressure in fact mts dropped into the chamber without being resized happy shooting

Roughedgekid
01-15-2012, 09:30
I have a similar questions:

A friend of mine has a few hundred 230 HAP (JHP profile) bullets he want to burn up in his GAP. Does anyone have load data for 230 JHP's in a GAP with Unique (or any other powder for that matter)?

Thanks,

Koski

I havent tried it but here is a load. http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/aiviewload.cgi?sn=VrWQuELDrr&catid=345&lid=1150242047