Dear Lord,.....Uncle Ted did the unthinkable! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dear Lord,.....Uncle Ted did the unthinkable!

faawrenchbndr
01-12-2012, 15:05
Uncle Ted Flippin Nugent dropped a slide on an empty chamber! :wow:

Was on the recent Sons of Guns episode.

Foxtrotx1
01-12-2012, 15:12
God just killed a kitten.

carloglock19
01-12-2012, 16:13
I saw that as well! :faint:

Walk Soft
01-12-2012, 16:15
Maybe that's why/how he wears them out so quick.

dakrat
01-12-2012, 19:30
anyone got a link to a broken 1911 due to slide drop on empty chamber? I got a bag of popcorn...

Rinspeed
01-13-2012, 07:47
anyone got a link to a broken 1911 due to slide drop on empty chamber? I got a bag of popcorn...

Doing it once in a while won't hurt a thing, that doesn't mean it's not stupid.

Bowtie
01-13-2012, 10:50
Not saying it will break a 1911 but it is rough on a good trigger job..

Quack
01-13-2012, 12:16
Not saying it will break a 1911 but it is rough on a good trigger job..

it was made by RJF, so it probably helped :rofl::outtahere:

mr.scott
01-13-2012, 12:17
So those of you worried about the slide closing on an empty chamber have no problems with the small explosion that occurs repeatedly in the same area and generates far more stress on mechanics of the gun?

Fred Hansen
01-13-2012, 12:18
Uncle Ted Flippin Nugent dropped a slide on an empty chamber! :wow:

Was on the recent Sons of Guns episode.From the two SOG episodes I've seen, poor firearms handling seems to be a contractual obligation. :dunno:

Bowtie
01-13-2012, 12:36
So those of you worried about the slide closing on an empty chamber have no problems with the small explosion that occurs repeatedly in the same area and generates far more stress on mechanics of the gun?

The explosion is contained in a locked breach. The slamming closed on an empty chamber causes the hammer to bounce on the sear and can ruin a nice trigger job..

Bowtie
01-13-2012, 12:36

:rofl:

mr.scott
01-13-2012, 14:33
The explosion is contained in a locked breach. The slamming closed on an empty chamber causes the hammer to bounce on the sear and can ruin a nice trigger job..

I know its been all of a day since I racked the slide of my 1911, but when I did I'm fairly positive when the slide went back into battery the hammer stayed cocked. maybe my gun i defective? should the hammer fall when the slide goes forward?

Seriously people stop spouting crap you read online.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Bowtie
01-13-2012, 14:43
Never said the hammer would fall. I said the hammer bounces on the sear. Not bounces off the sear. Its not something I read, its some I was told by a guy I've shot with many times by the name of John Jardine. I think he knows a little about 1911's

Goldendog Redux
01-13-2012, 14:57
Whether it is damaging or not, I always learn about someone when I see them do it.

Bodyarmorguy
01-13-2012, 15:14
Never said the hammer would fall. I said the hammer bounces on the sear. Not bounces off the sear. Its not something I read, its some I was told by a guy I've shot with many times by the name of John Jardine. I think he knows a little about 1911's

+1 The same thing will be told to you by any top pistolsmith.

Bodyarmorguy
01-13-2012, 15:19
I know its been all of a day since I racked the slide of my 1911, but when I did I'm fairly positive when the slide went back into battery the hammer stayed cocked. maybe my gun i defective? should the hammer fall when the slide goes forward?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Not read on line, told to me personally by Ted Yost, Jason Burton, Dave Ercikson and most recently in a class with Larry Vickers. I think any one of these guys know a little bit more about the fire control parts geometry of these guns than the rest of us combined. Likewise this info was imparted by the instructors at Springfield Armory's 1911 Armorer Class and Colt Factory 1911 Armorer Class.

nolt
01-13-2012, 17:02
i think that the sons of guns people have this energy field that surrounds them that drops everyone's (including them) IQ by about 75.

Jim S.
01-13-2012, 17:57
The slamming closed on an empty chamber causes the hammer to bounce on the sear and can ruin a nice trigger job..

Yeah, but what if it is just a plain old out of the box Mil-Spec with a 6+ pound trigger?
I doubt it would hurt anything.

Even if it was the most expensive custom 1911, ol Uncle Ted has the cash to have it fixed or replaced without batting an eye.

R0CKETMAN
01-13-2012, 18:20
Not read on line, told to me personally by Ted Yost, Jason Burton, Dave Ercikson and most recently in a class with Larry Vickers. I think any one of these guys know a little bit more about the fire control parts geometry of these guns than the rest of us combined. Likewise this info was imparted by the instructors at Springfield Armory's 1911 Armorer Class and Colt Factory 1911 Armorer Class.

That pretty much means it's frowned upon:rofl::animlol: next....

arclight610
01-13-2012, 18:38
I guess you learn something new everyday. I've been sending my slide home on an empty chamber like 20 times a day for the past 6 months.

glock2740
01-13-2012, 20:10

Like this? :dunno:

faawrenchbndr
01-13-2012, 20:15
"Beam me up Captain"......said MrScott

Walk Soft
01-13-2012, 20:16
I guess you learn something new everyday. I've been sending my slide home on an empty chamber like 20 times a day for the past 6 months.

Why?:dunno:

Jim S.
01-14-2012, 06:35
"Beam me up Captain"......said MrScott:rofl:

Transporter is not working... :supergrin:

I certainly wouldn't argue the point of a custom trigger job getting damaged in this way but a stock out of the box can handle slamming the slide home 20 times a day and still be fine.

arclight610... if your gun has not had a trigger job done below 5 lbs than you have nothing to worry about.

silversport
01-14-2012, 07:02
isn't it one of the steps in a 1911 function test???
http://coolgunsite.com/funcheck/function.htm
Bill

faawrenchbndr
01-14-2012, 07:21
isn't it one of the steps in a 1911 function test???
http://coolgunsite.com/funcheck/function.htm
Bill

This is true,.......and would be warranted following disassembly or
parts replacement, NOT to simply close the action.

silversport
01-14-2012, 11:01
I agree with you and I wouldn't do it but the gun doesn't know if you are doing a function test or just making a TV show...:supergrin:

Bill

faawrenchbndr
01-14-2012, 11:17
Very true,.........

owl6roll
01-14-2012, 20:01
I don't like dropping the slide on an empty chamber, on ANYTHING! Poor weapon skills!!!!

That show is hard to watch.

Giggity
01-16-2012, 12:42
Man if 1911s are that dainty and delicate maybe I should rethink carrying one.

I know if I had a car that you couldn't slam the door shut without worrying about it destroying the transmission I would probably trade it in.

fullotto69
01-16-2012, 13:12
^^^thats right^^^

Glocks rule!

faawrenchbndr
01-16-2012, 14:38
^^^thats right^^^

Glocks rule!

Yea,.....those Gen 4 9mm models are just AWESOME! :rofl:
Take your fishing buddy and go troll elsewhere! :wavey:

ca survivor
01-16-2012, 15:47
I don't know why is so hard for some people to take an advice :dunno:

NeverMore1701
01-16-2012, 16:43
I don't know why is so hard for some people to take an advise :dunno:

I don't know why it's so hard for some people to spell advice....

:whistling:

faawrenchbndr
01-16-2012, 16:44

CaptJim
01-16-2012, 16:45
I personally know of a new Kimber that apparently had had the slide released on an empty chamber while being looked at in the gun store where I worked p/t ,and it did indeed damage the sear(or it was damaged to begin with).

I have personally had an ocassional customer allow the slide to slam shut on a semi-auto and soon learned to caution against this when I hand them the gun. Marines are the ones who do it most. I don't know about now but that was SOP after a string of fire with a semi-auto, to show clear, release the slide and pull the trigger to show safe.

Back to the Kimber-on the first mag the hammer followed the slide. After that, only two rounds were loaded to see what was happening. The hammer operated properly for a few rounds, then followed the slide again and fired both rounds that were loaded in the mag full auto.

Once Kimber inspected the pistol, they said the sear most probably was damaged from allowing the slide to slam home on an empty chamber.
Upon return I have heard the gun fired normally and is reliable so far.

All that said, I am sure that those pistols with stiffer trigger pulls and more robust fire control systems ie. Mil-spec etc., probably would not have this problem.

Jim

9mmXRAY
01-16-2012, 18:10
You guys are funny... I wonder what you will come up with next. Some of you guys are more concerned with speculation of what caused or causes damage than actually asking somebody who knows.

I mean cmon your watching sons of guns and expecting to learn something from a band of idiots you WILL NOT see twice a year at the KCR machinegun shoot... A band of morons who stated on national tv they are going to tune an ar15 lower to feed and extract a 458 socom upper...

A TV show about a fake business who sells post sample electronically fired machineguns to junk yard owners who CANNOT own said stupid saiga worthless piece of crap.

Fake government contractors and a kid who couldn't even insert a bcg into an ar15 without help.

I wouldn't let those morons assemble me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

1911Tuner
01-16-2012, 18:32
Disassemble the gun and remove the barrel. Slip the slidestop pin through the link and swing it to the in-battery position. Look at the way the crosspin seats into the radius of the lug foot.

That tiny surface area is what brings the slide to a halt.

I've seen those lug feet deformed and cracked.

Consider too, the leverage imposed on the front of the lug where it joins the barrel under the momentum of a 14-ounce slide driven by a 16-pound recoil spring.

I've seen lugs crack and pull nearly off the barrel.

Consider the poor slidestop pin holes in the frame.

I've seen those holes elongated from the repeated impact of letting a slide slam on an empty chamber.

Why abuse the machinery for no reason? The pistol was designed to feed ammunition from the magazine...not to play with in this manner.

faawrenchbndr
01-16-2012, 18:46
You guys are funny... I wonder what you will come up with next. Some of you guys are more concerned with speculation of what caused or causes damage than actually asking somebody who knows..........

Go back to your video game,......the Big Boys are talking.

R0CKETMAN
01-16-2012, 19:24
You guys are funny... I wonder what you will come up with next. Some of you guys are more concerned with speculation of what caused or causes damage than actually asking somebody who knows.

This thread isn't about what Red Jacket thinks about closing on an empty chamber.

As for the last five words of the above post, read #17 in this thread...please quit skimming

Edit: I agree, that fool that can't assemble an AR should stick to singing.

CAcop
01-17-2012, 00:03
Just curious. Those who were in the military when 1911s were around what was the check in/out procedure?

I ask because in the academy they had us check clear by letting the slide fly closed on an empty chamber every morning.

Did the military let fly on an empty chamber back in the day?

1911Tuner
01-17-2012, 02:41
I ask because in the academy they had us check clear by letting the slide fly closed on an empty chamber every morning.

The military has unit armorers who inspect weapons for damage and wear regularly, and replace obviously questionable or suspect parts.

It also has access to readily available replacement parts that it has relatively little monetary investment in.

We don't.

A barrel that the Army has had in inventory since WW2 probably cost less than 2 bucks.

The military is far more concerned with someone getting shot than it is with replacing a 2-dollar barrel every so often.

The risk to a trigger job doesn't come from the hammer bouncing off the sear. The hammer doesn't bounce off the sear anyway. It comes from the trigger bumping the disconnect and hammer follow to half-cock...which can damage a sear crown...particularly the escape angle on the backside of the crown.

This is why you see modified half-cock notches in which only the center portion remains. The areas that contact the hammer hooks don't take the hit in a followdown event.

That's also why the old advice with Bullseye pistols built in the day before low-mass tiggers was to hold the trigger full rearward before dropping the slide. It takes the disconnect out of the equation and eliminates the risk of followdown.

faawrenchbndr
01-17-2012, 03:43
Outstanding post,...as always 'Tuner

Rinspeed
01-17-2012, 05:16
Outstanding post,...as always 'Tuner

I agree.

DRAGON1970
01-17-2012, 15:02
^^^thats right^^^

Glocks rule!

Glocks do rule for those who have minimal skills and firearms knowledge. They don't require any skill to maintain or clean. This is why they are the first choice of newbies. Glocks rule!!

I agree it is much easier to change parts than to build your own 1911...or six.

arclight610
01-17-2012, 17:39
Why?:dunno:

I just like to fondle my guns. It's my only 1911.

ca survivor
01-17-2012, 19:02

Thanks, fixed, I don't like words with C's it reminds me of CANCER :wavey:

Glockdude1
01-19-2012, 15:55

dakrat
01-19-2012, 18:24
Glocks do rule for those who have minimal skills and firearms knowledge. They don't require any skill to maintain or clean. This is why they are the first choice of newbies. Glocks rule!!

I agree it is much easier to change parts than to build your own 1911...or six.

I remember my first gun. It ruled all gunzz :cool:

chakup
01-20-2012, 09:30
There was a fairly long thread on 1911F awhile back about this. Alot of the smiths posting and it did turn into some good facts on the possibilities. If I recall the consensus from the smiths is it Probably won't cause issues, but on a gun with trigger work it CAN cause issues.

For those who have no problem with it- throw your gun up and down the street, the finish and outside looks do nothing for performance so you'd be even better off..