US Gen4 Glock 20 Info [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : US Gen4 Glock 20 Info

chucky2
01-12-2012, 18:04
(I still have not gone to the somewhat nearby rental range and shot a bunch of pistols to see which one I like best, so I might not even get a Glock/Glock 20, however, thought I'd pass this on.)

I wrote Glock US and asked when their Gen4 Glock 20/29 would be released, and they promptly wrote me back (a good thing) and said they could not say, that Glock Austria made the call on that.

So I looked around on Glock Austria's website, and the only e-mail address I could find was this Impressum@glock.com e-mail address. I figured what the heck, I'll try asking them. A few days after the auto-reply, I did end up getting a response (which after receiving it, and asking if I could share it, I received no reply), here it is:

Thanks for your interest in our products and company.

The G20 Gen4 is currently being tested and evaluated and are in the final stages for the launch.
We have seen some very good results and therefore expect the launch within 1H2012 latest during the NRA Show.
The G29 Gen4 is in the pipeline.
Our sales subsidiary GLOCK Inc. will promote and communicate the pistol launch accordingly.
Our recommendation would be to wait with your purchase.

We hope the information is sufficient and thank you for your support.
Best regards,

GLOCK Ges.m.b.H.

So for those waiting on the Gen4 Glock 20's (as I am if I like the way the Glock 21 shoots over anything else I try), it sounds like they're getting close to release.

Chuck

Christopher67
01-12-2012, 18:13
Interesting.....

oceanbob
01-12-2012, 18:29
I'am going to the SHOT SHOW next week in Las Vegas. One of my goals is to ask GLOCK about the G20/29 Gen 4 release dates. :cool:

Beanie-Bean
01-12-2012, 18:31
Woohoo! Thanks for sharing the information. I will go and update my list for 2012 now...

chucky2
01-12-2012, 18:37
The concept I like about the Glock 10mm is that I could buy different barrels (.40S&W, .357SIG, 9x25Dillon) and reliably shoot those as well. These aftermarket barrels exist for the current Glock 10mm's.

Does anyone know if the Gen4 Glock 10mm's will be able to take these same aftermarket barrels, or, are they going to require new barrel designs?

_The_Shadow
01-12-2012, 19:36
I don't know about the barrels or if the locking blocks will be the same as the earlier gen 2 & 3. With the feeding issues that many are seeing with hotter ammo and the G-20's it will be interesting to see what is what!

chucky2
01-12-2012, 19:47
Makes sense...we'll all just have to wait and see I guess in the end, no way to know until they come out and you knowledgable folks have a chance to see what's what.

pizza_pablo
01-23-2012, 19:29
Could someone please nail this down, for me?

What is "1H2012" ?

When is the NRA Show?

TIA :wavey:

oceanbob
01-23-2012, 21:05
Could someone please nail this down, for me?

What is "1H2012" ?

When is the NRA Show?

TIA :wavey:

The NRA show is in St Louis in May....and 1H2012 means 1st half of the year 2010. (first 6 months)

TDC20
01-23-2012, 21:35
Actually, the NRA show is in St. Louis April 12 - 15, 2012.

awdxtc
01-23-2012, 21:49
I also thought about the barrels but to be honest with you, after shooting the 10mm I really don't want anything else and if I do it will be in a different platform. The only other gun I really want it a subcompact 1911 and if I could find one in 10mm I wouldn't even consider the 45 acp.

firemedic1343
01-24-2012, 09:24
The current 3rd Gen 10mm works. The problem with waiting is that you end up waiting even longer for the early adopters to do QA for Glock. We've seen it before, even with Gen4's. I'm tempted to be an early adopter, but I don't want to deal with issues at this point in life. I say go for a Gen3 if you want something that works.

But OP, this is great news for early adopters and all those who want to buy after the early adopters give their reports. Honestly, if you have to be an early adopter, then Glock is probably one of the best companies to take a risk on.

pizza_pablo
01-24-2012, 12:10
The NRA show is in St Louis in May....and 1H2012 means 1st half of the year 2010. (first 6 months)
Thanks, for that. I reckon a "DUH", for me, is in order :embarassed:

Anyways, as for waiting for the Gen 4 20....I feel like it will be good to go, because the 21 Gen 4 was. :dunno:

21Glock
01-24-2012, 12:21
(I still have not gone to the somewhat nearby rental range and shot a bunch of pistols to see which one I like best, so I might not even get a Glock/Glock 20, however, thought I'd pass this on.)

I wrote Glock US and asked when their Gen4 Glock 20/29 would be released, and they promptly wrote me back (a good thing) and said they could not say, that Glock Austria made the call on that.

So I looked around on Glock Austria's website, and the only e-mail address I could find was this Impressum@glock.com e-mail address. I figured what the heck, I'll try asking them. A few days after the auto-reply, I did end up getting a response (which after receiving it, and asking if I could share it, I received no reply), here it is:

The G20 Gen4 is currently being tested and evaluated and are in the final stages for the launch.
We have seen some very good results and therefore expect the launch within 1H2012 latest during the NRA Show.
The G29 Gen4 is in the pipeline.
Our sales subsidiary GLOCK Inc. will promote and communicate the pistol launch accordingly.
Our recommendation would be to wait with your purchase.

We hope the information is sufficient and thank you for your support.
Best regards,

GLOCK Ges.m.b.H.

So for those waiting on the Gen4 Glock 20's (as I am if I like the way the Glock 21 shoots over anything else I try), it sounds like they're getting close to release.

Chuck Thanks. Smyrna, Glock USA, couldn't give me a straight answer on the release of the G20 Gen 4 when I called them. Looks like by the summer, maybe we'll start to see some of the G20 Gen 4s. G21 Gen 4s haven't turned up at the gun shows yet, but at Eds and Smyrna Police Dist. here in Ga. is the only place I've heard that has any of them. Still scarce.

pizza_pablo
01-24-2012, 12:51
Thanks. Smyrna, Glock USA, couldn't give me a straight answer on the release of the G20 Gen 4 when I called them. Looks like by the summer, maybe we'll start to see some of the G20 Gen 4s. G21 Gen 4s haven't turned up at the gun shows yet, but at Eds and Smyrna Police Dist. here in Ga. is the only place I've heard that has any of them. Still scarce.
The Marksman, in Puyallup, Washington has Gen 4 G21s. I've held them! :supergrin:

TACLOAD
01-24-2012, 23:55
Jimmy's in Ft Walton Beach has Gen 4 21's. That's where I got mine.

RedLine Engineering
02-20-2012, 04:32
Sounds like the G20 Gen4 wait will soon be over. I contacted Glock and received this reposne on Feb 1.

"We have just been advised that this pistol has been submitted for approval to the ATF."

blastfact
02-20-2012, 06:19
I wonder if the frame on the Gen4 will be more ridged than the frame of my Gen3 that I could snap in two with my bare hands?

chucky2
02-20-2012, 17:09
Sounds like the G20 Gen4 wait will soon be over. I contacted Glock and received this reposne on Feb 1.

"We have just been advised that this pistol has been submitted for approval to the ATF."

Thanks for the update!

I wonder if the frame on the Gen4 will be more ridged than the frame of my Gen3 that I could snap in two with my bare hands?

I thought Glock's were durable? What significance does this have to durability?

Chuck

Angry Fist
02-20-2012, 17:12
I'll pass. Hope you guys like it, though. :wavey:

dl645
02-20-2012, 17:23
When I was looking to get a G20 I found a local store that didn't have any G20s in stock but did have a Gen3 G21, Gen3 G21SF and a Gen4 G21. Tried all in my hands and actually preferred the feel of the Gen3 SF to the Gen4. Guy at the counter was surprised as he thought there wasn't supposed to be any difference between the SF and the Gen4 without additional backstraps. Tracked down a 21SF for a trade a few weeks later.

pizza_pablo
02-21-2012, 08:32

Interesting first post. Thanks, for the update.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Upon first read, I thought that you were referring to the texture. Did you mean to write "rigid"? If so, do you actually believe that you could snap you frame or are you being facetious?

chucky2
02-21-2012, 10:14
When I was looking to get a G20 I found a local store that didn't have any G20s in stock but did have a Gen3 G21, Gen3 G21SF and a Gen4 G21. Tried all in my hands and actually preferred the feel of the Gen3 SF to the Gen4. Guy at the counter was surprised as he thought there wasn't supposed to be any difference between the SF and the Gen4 without additional backstraps. Tracked down a 21SF for a trade a few weeks later.

Everyone will be different of course, but, thanks for that info, it's interesting to have!

ModGlock17
02-24-2012, 18:31
Of all the years I worked in Corporate strategy and Marketing tactics, I have never heard of a company sending out a letter like that, in an official manner.

The problem with such a letter is many folds:

1. It kills company sales, sales that would have been in the books for the first half of 2012. When you don't have sales, you don't have money to fund COMPLETIONs of PROJECTs in the pipeline. Reason ? People would hold off on spending money, which is a risk because they may end up spending on OTHER things and would not make the purchase, ie. Get the money when the customer is willing!

2. It commits a release time frame, so in case you are late, you would look like you don't know what you are doing!

Look at Apples. No announcement of iPad3. News folks have to approach suppliers of Apples and guess the dates.

That email is not credible. If it is real, Glock is stupidly run.

EDIT: the only plausible reason of making such an email/announcement is only when your competitors "beat the pant of off you", which means other companies' 10mm sales have shot through the roof.
Colt DE? Nah.
S&W 107xx series? Nah.

Taterhead
02-24-2012, 18:38
Of all the years I worked in Corporate strategy and Marketing tactics, I have never heard of a company sending out a letter like that, in an official manner.

The problem with such a letter is many folds:

1. It kills company sales, sales that would have been in the books for the first half of 2012. When you don't have sales, you don't have money to fund COMPLETIONs of PROJECTs in the pipeline. Reason ? People would hold off on spending money, which is a risk because they may end up spending on OTHER things and would not make the purchase, ie. Get the money when the customer is willing!

2. It commits a release time frame, so in case you are late, you would look like you don't know what you are doing!

Look at Apples. No announcement of iPad3. News folks have to approach suppliers of Apples and guess the dates.

That email is not credible. If it is real, Glock is stupidly run.

I agree 100% here. It could be truthful however.

I work for a huge company, and it can be amazingly difficult to keep everyone tight-lipped with all associates giving the precise message in the same way at the right time. Could be someone new or inexperienced in customer service that made a big no-no. They might have had partial or incomplete information and did not know better. Apple is really good at corporate secrets. Others are not so much.

ModGlock17
02-24-2012, 19:22
I agree 100% here. It could be truthful however.

I work for a huge company, and it can be amazingly difficult to keep everyone tight-lipped with all associates giving the precise message in the same way at the right time. Could be someone new or inexperienced in customer service that made a big no-no. They might have had partial or incomplete information and did not know better. Apple is really good at corporate secrets. Others are not so much.

I get you say, and agree that it is possible to leak.

The other thing to consider is that a major product announcement is NEVER released to some email inquiry, from possibly a 10yr old, a College Student student, a grumpy oldman, or some guy from competitor company. If you do that, you'd piss off your major accounts like (perhaps) NYcity Police Dept., Military MP, etc.

HiVel
02-25-2012, 06:07
Glock was and may still be stupidly run business wise at the very top-they have an incredible product and make tons of money so it doesn't matter. IMHO the emphasis in Austria is on production and engineering. The folks in the USA do a great job on customer service and marketing now-but at home it is different. Production cost is really low, volume is high and they can do all sorts of things with what they call "Monopoly money". They simply took the police market in the US-and then followed the civilians replacing all our autos with this plastic killing machine. It works!
Read the book "GLOCK" by Paul Barrett for some insight on how this deal really happened.
I love my Glocks despite whatever faults the company might have. It is an incredible gun.
I will wait for the Gen 4 29.

Taterhead
02-26-2012, 13:54
I get you say, and agree that it is possible to leak.

The other thing to consider is that a major product announcement is NEVER released to some email inquiry, from possibly a 10yr old, a College Student student, a grumpy oldman, or some guy from competitor company. If you do that, you'd piss off your major accounts like (perhaps) NYcity Police Dept., Military MP, etc.

You are exactly right.

pistolcompetitor
03-01-2012, 05:08
Does anyone know if the grip size/circumference of the Gen4 G20 will be any smaller than the 20SF that's already out there? With the 10 mm cartridge I don't know if it's even possible.

I've been holding out for a gen4 G20 but if the grip size won't be any different I'll probably just get a Gen3

gatorboy
03-01-2012, 11:29
Does anyone know if the grip size/circumference of the Gen4 G20 will be any smaller than the 20SF that's already out there? With the 10 mm cartridge I don't know if it's even possible.

I've been holding out for a gen4 G20 but if the grip size won't be any different I'll probably just get a Gen3

I've got a 20, 20SF and G4 21. The SF and G4 really are the same size, different texture. I prefer the G4 texture. They could have made the grip smaller yet without changing grip angle but chose not to for some reason.

I really want an M&P 10 compact. The 45 compact is a great feeling large frame pistol IMO. I'll be in line when the G4 20's come out also.

RyeDaddy
03-02-2012, 09:13
Thanks for posting the response from Glock. I sold my G20SF over a year ago in anticipation of the Gen 4. I've been missing it while patiently waiting.

They just told me it was "in the pipeline" when I called months ago. I was very disappointed not to have seen it at SHOT this year, it was very high on my list.

damnyankee20
03-11-2012, 12:58

I can not stand the tactile sensation of the new studded texture grip on with the G21 Gen4's (which will be the new texture grip on the G20 Gen4). I much prefer the texture grip on my G20 Gen3's texture as it feels natural in my hand.

I'm relieved I bought the G20 Gen3 just for that reason alone.

novasquid
04-19-2012, 13:00
any new news on the gen4 g20 or g29 from the nra show in st louis? the nation's gun show is in chantilly, va, this weekend. any chance we'll get new word then since nothing came out of the st louis show?

Christopher67
04-19-2012, 13:37
any new news on the gen4 g20 or g29 from the nra show in st louis? the nation's gun show is in chantilly, va, this weekend. any chance we'll get new word then since nothing came out of the st louis show?

I'm crossing my fingers in hopes there will be news on both the Gen4 G20 & G29.

novasquid
04-19-2012, 13:40
i've never been to the "nation's gun show" and figured it would be like a car or motorcycle show where the manufacturers announce new models, but that doesn't seem to be the case. it looks to be more like an open flea market.

oceanbob
04-29-2012, 23:04
Bump city because it's about time for the GEN4s..!..maybe in a couple of month..?...hope so.

JTSmith
05-08-2012, 06:50
Chucky2,
Last night, I sent an inquiry about the Gen4 20 to the same email you did in the original post, and here is the response:

"Dear Sir,
The G20 Gen4 is in the pipeline and should be available soon.
Currently it is being field tested and registered for sale.
Thus we are expecting it to be launched in the course of this year.

Thanks and best regards,
Your GLOCK Team"

Christopher67
05-08-2012, 14:40
Chucky2,
Last night, I sent an inquiry about the Gen4 20 to the same email you did in the original post, and here is the response:

"Dear Sir,
The G20 Gen4 is in the pipeline and should be available soon.
Currently it is being field tested and registered for sale.
Thus we are expecting it to be launched in the course of this year.

Thanks and best regards,
Your GLOCK Team"

Awesome, I guess i'll wait for the Gen4 G20 a little longer. :perfect10::thumbsup:

cablecutter
05-09-2012, 09:31
I love glock and I love the 10mm but honestly they will tell you anything to make it seem like its coming soon. We all know eventually it will come out and that all the Gen 4s that haven't come out yet are "in the process of going on sale" If asked they would probably answer about the single stack 9mm that " it is about to go on sale".

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

MikeSantor
05-09-2012, 19:31
Hey guys. Been lurking for about a year. I had a question and did not want to make a new thread about it. Figured this was a good place for it.

I have been drooling over a G20 and G29 for a year now. I finally decided I was going to go with the 29 first but I have been going back and forth on waiting for the 4G.

Do you guys think when Glock does release the 4th gen they will release both the 20 and 29 at the same time? This will be my first Glock so im not sure how the company usually does things. Is it safe to assume both the full size and compact will be released at the same time? Im trying to be patient but the anticipation for both my first Glock and my first 10mm is wearing on me. Any day now im going to snap and run up to the gun shop and order a 29. With my luck, the 4th gen 29 will be released near days after I order the 3rd gen though...

Thoughts from G users that have been around long enough to know trends?

michael e
05-09-2012, 19:48
Don't count on the 20/29 coming out at the same time.

MikeSantor
05-09-2012, 19:49
Don't count on the 20/29 coming out at the same time.

That's enough reassurance for me...

heading to the gun shop after work tomorrow.

Thanks Michael!

Taterhead
05-09-2012, 20:17
That's enough reassurance for me...

heading to the gun shop after work tomorrow.

Thanks Michael!

Good call. The Gen 3s are great. No need to wait.

ModGlock17
05-09-2012, 23:52
The 10mm is the most powerful pistol round in Glock hand guns. It can unleash some 700-800 ft-lbs of energy into a bullet projectile, versus 500ft-lbs in the next best caliber.

As such, the mechanical construction of the guns has to be viable for that round, which is a different requirement than other calibers. All this to say that a Gen 4 of 10mm guns may need to be "exorcised" differently from the experience of other calibers. So I wouldn't jump at the introduction of a 10mm Gen 4, as yet.

TexasDogmeat
05-10-2012, 07:14
I like the Gen 4s also, but the 29SF has been a great pistol. I put the Wolf non-captured 21# recoil spring/guide rod in, and it runs slick as all get out. If the grip is still too big for you, there are several custom shops that can do a relatively inexpensive grip reduction for you. Good luck.

nickE10mm
05-10-2012, 14:46
I called Glock today asking why I couldn't find any G29's at distributors, internet, wholesalers, auction sites or local shops. I asked if they might be making way for the Gen4's?

Her reply was that they aren't behind on any orders at all, although they WERE quoting distributors 150 days for new Glock orders.... which is is bit confusing if you ask me.

She said they have no backorders on any model currently. Also, she said the Gen4 G29's would be out "this year".

DRJ1911
05-10-2012, 16:19
I have a 29sf that I truly love so I am in no rush but when they release the Gen4 20 & 29 I'm buying them both.:supergrin:

Doyle

IronRonin
05-11-2012, 11:59
Well, I'm hoping the G4 G29 is around the corner too. I sent my G29 out to Smyrna a few weeks ago when my locking block broke at the range/store. They offered to send it off and said the turn-around has been very fast lately, and as the repairs would be free and I have TWO (oh yeah) G29 SFs, I figured I would take that option.

Well, I'm glad I did, as it came back with with basically EVERYTHING replaced with "upgraded" parts. The newer 29 SFs already came with the new ejectors and trigger bars...but they gave me new ones anyway with the same part number. New extractor too...no reason why...but it appears to still be the cast type and not MIM. The crown jewel of the "upgrades" however was my new recoil spring...which is a factory spring with a STEEL guide-rod I have never seen in the 29/30 family. The spring even seemed at first to be stronger based on the tension from pulling back the slide.

As happy as I was to see all this, I was very concerned about how it would run now...the trigger even felt shorter and different...oh no!!! BUT I was pleasantly surprised when I first fired my carry ammo, with a noticeable difference in recoil reduction. It thankfully runs EVERYTHING fine, including all my conversion barrels, target ammo, etc. The trigger is BETTER, shorter and has less over-travel, and I shoot it better now. I wish I understood why, but I am not as familiar with the frame parts yet.

So I kinda got me a G29 SF Gen3.5 :) ....kinda.

novasquid
05-11-2012, 12:31
The crown jewel of the "upgrades" however was my new recoil spring...which is a factory spring with a STEEL guide-rod I have never seen in the 29/30 family. The spring even seemed at first to be stronger based on the tension from pulling back the slide.

i posted about this here:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1420582

how do you like the new RSA compared to the plastic one? i haven't shot mine yet.

IronRonin
05-11-2012, 13:23
I like it!! It installs easier, doesn't protrude from the front of the frame when installed, AND def reduces felt recoil. I thought it might just be in my head when my carry ammo shot softer, but it was confirmed after shooting 10 rounds of Swampfox 200gr XTP G29-MaxVel. Less rise and it doesn't sting my trigger finger anymore, which could also have to do with my "new" trigger bar. LOOKS COOLER TOO!!!!

novasquid
05-11-2012, 13:35
i may replace the plastic rod on my older g29sf with the new rsa, and use a wolff guide and spring in my new g29sf. the new rsa is definitely easier to put on even without the washer at the end.

MRBULLRED
05-14-2012, 17:00
Got this email today..
Hello, We do have the following models to be produced this year (2012): G29 (10mm subcompact), G30 (.45 subcompact), and the G33(.357 subcompact) in the Gen. 4 models. I do not have a specific date yet, but it will be this year for those models. Keep checking back with us or our website: US.GLOCK.COM. Thank you,

Debbie Wells Customer Service GLOCK, Inc. Email: Debra.Wells@glock.us

Christopher67
05-14-2012, 17:02
Got this email today..
Hello, We do have the following models to be produced this year (2012): G29 (10mm subcompact), G30 (.45 subcompact), and the G33(.357 subcompact) in the Gen. 4 models. I do not have a specific date yet, but it will be this year for those models. Keep checking back with us or our website: US.GLOCK.COM. Thank you,

SWEET! Can't wait, thank you for the info! :thumbsup:

4949shooter
05-14-2012, 17:57
Got this email today..

This makes me wonder if they are having problems making the Gen 4 G20 run right.

HiVel
05-14-2012, 17:59
OK-save your Confederate money the South will rise again (buy Glocks)!

blastfact
05-14-2012, 18:28
This makes me wonder if they are having problems making the Gen 4 G20 run right.

They could be having issue's with Bertha. But my money is going with, The G29 is more popular right now. And already has a Gen4 type RSA so to speak.

4949shooter
05-14-2012, 18:46
Yes, that would be a reasonable explanation, Blastfact. I hope you're right.

pck50
05-31-2012, 10:02
Many thanks for the good up date.

(i still have not gone to the somewhat nearby rental range and shot a bunch of pistols to see which one i like best, so i might not even get a glock/glock 20, however, thought i'd pass this on.)

i wrote glock us and asked when their gen4 glock 20/29 would be released, and they promptly wrote me back (a good thing) and said they could not say, that glock austria made the call on that.

So i looked around on glock austria's website, and the only e-mail address i could find was this impressum@glock.com e-mail address. I figured what the heck, i'll try asking them. A few days after the auto-reply, i did end up getting a response (which after receiving it, and asking if i could share it, i received no reply), here it is:

thanks for your interest in our products and company.

the g20 gen4 is currently being tested and evaluated and are in the final stages for the launch.
we have seen some very good results and therefore expect the launch within 1h2012 latest during the nra show.
the g29 gen4 is in the pipeline.
our sales subsidiary glock inc. Will promote and communicate the pistol launch accordingly.
our recommendation would be to wait with your purchase.

we hope the information is sufficient and thank you for your support.
best regards,

glock ges.m.b.h.

so for those waiting on the gen4 glock 20's (as i am if i like the way the glock 21 shoots over anything else i try), it sounds like they're getting close to release.

chuck

Dogman 10x
06-09-2012, 22:31
Are the gen4-G20's out?

pck50
06-10-2012, 09:24
will be by next month

Are the gen4-G20's out?

chucky2
06-11-2012, 17:36
I was going to ask where you got this info, then saw another thread here in the 10mm forum referencing this thread:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1426683

Sounds like Glock Gen4 10mm is now about to become available!

(and, I have still yet to go shooting to see what I even like... :( )

Chuck

michael e
06-11-2012, 19:14
Are the gen4-G20's out?
They have a thread saying Eds has G20 and G29 in Gen 4 now.

ModGlock17
06-11-2012, 20:52
I think getting a 10mm carbine is strategically more important to me than getting another 10mm Gen4 G2x handgun.

It does pose interesting possibility, though. Will a Gen4 G20 work on a Mech-Tech 10mm carbine as well as a Gen3 G20 ??????

Hmm!

pck50
06-11-2012, 21:23
Little secret with a Glock 20 you can get a 6" BARREL THEN GET A CARBINE ADAPTER WHICH THE PISTOL SLIDES IN AND YOU GOT BOTH WORLDS IN ONE.

I think getting a 10mm carbine is strategically more important to me than getting another 10mm Gen4 G2x handgun.

It does pose interesting possibility, though. Will a Gen4 G20 work on a Mech-Tech 10mm carbine as well as a Gen3 G20 ??????

Hmm!

nickE10mm
06-12-2012, 07:12

You and me both, Mod. I'm thinkin' my G20SF will turn into a MecTec or an RMR G20, my Fusion will stay my primary hunter and my G29SF.... well, my G29SF will be on me somewhere. :cool:

seaswol
06-12-2012, 23:07
What is the difference between a G20 SF Gen3 and a proposed G20 Gen4? Same question about a G29??
Thanks,
Chris

nickE10mm
06-13-2012, 08:23
What is the difference between a G20 SF Gen3 and a proposed G20 Gen4? Same question about a G29??
Thanks,
Chris

Grip texture change. Interchangeable grip inserts (which will probably not affect people with small hands as the smallest insert on the Gen4's is the same as the Gen3 SF grip). Possibly larger or ambi mag release. Possible new RSA on the G29.

Thats about it. No real reason to switch. No real reason to pay MORE for one than a Gen3, either, if you ask me.

ModGlock17
06-13-2012, 19:42
If you're into collecting guns, go for it. Be sure to report the differences in measurement between G3 and G4, chamber sizes, trigger bars, springs, etc.

If you're into having different firearms for wide range of capabilities/applications vs money spent, then it's a harder justification to get another one of essentially the same gun, assuming the same reliability.

s0nspark
08-10-2012, 07:47
Thats about it. No real reason to switch. No real reason to pay MORE for one than a Gen3, either, if you ask me.

I would agree except for the fact that the Gen4 grip makes a huge difference to some, including me :-)

It is the same size as the Gen3 SF but feels way better in my hand.

Bravo2
08-14-2012, 15:03
I tell you what I handled a gen 4 g22 and it felt better than my gen3 g22 duty weapon. The guy put a hogue slip on grip on it and it felt perfect. I got short fingers but avg hands. I bought a od gen3 g20 from friend not even a week ago yet and I have not shot it yet. My friend went to Ed's and bought a gen4 g20 yesterday. I checked it out today and man to me it felt perfect grip wise as the gen 3 g20 is tad to long for my hands. I owned a g21 years ago and lived with it ok. I am sold on the gen 4 g20/21 grip feel an the other gen 4's. Now I'm curious how the g30 gen 4 feels as I use to own a gen3 g30. If its as good I maybe buying one. I am up in the air to sell this one or keep it. If I keep it I may get a g21 gen4 and buy a 10mm SL 6" barrel for it. I can do it vice versa relly. G21 would want stock and g20 would want at least 6" barrel if not both ways. Its sad they don't make the ge4 in OD! Decisions!!!! BTW anyonw having issues running 10mm barrel in g21? Should not be but I heard of one person who had issues.