Lesson learned: Sort the .40 & 10mm first [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lesson learned: Sort the .40 & 10mm first

Beanie-Bean
01-12-2012, 18:19
Been shooting a little and just collecting brass in a nice five gallon bucket to use with the shellsorter plates later.

Well, I spent the better part of this afternoon sorting the blue tray of 10mm and .40 S&W. I'm sure that I'll have the same fun sorting the black tray of 9x19 and .380 Auto. After a while, I just held a 10mm in my right hand to size whatever the left hand picked up. I couldn't look at the head stamps, because a lot of them had "FC 10" stamped on them, and I was keying on the 10 instead of on the 40.

Lesson learned is that I'll separate the brass after I shoot, instead of when I'm ready to load. I like to bring different calibers to the range when I go, to avoid having the "tur-duck-en" brass of 45/40/9 or some other combination like that.

I also have a tarp en route from Amazon for my next trip. My eyes are getting bad, and my back hurts a little more, too. I think that this will help a lot, and I even searched on e size tarps you guys use, as well as where you got them. I think I'll still hit Harbor Freight tomorrow anyway, just because...

The silver lining in this cloud was that I now have lots of decapped, shiny .45 ACP, 10mm, and .40 S&W brass ready to load :)

I picked up some nice rifle brass, along with some .357 SIG and .45 Colt brass, too.

Cheers!

Melissa5
01-12-2012, 18:35
Here's another lesson learned. Don't tumble 9mm with .45. The 9mm will get stuck in the .45. :whistling:

labdwakin
01-12-2012, 18:36
Want rid of the 45 colt brass? :dunno:

Njanear
01-12-2012, 19:30
Here's another lesson learned. Don't tumble 9mm with .45. The 9mm will get stuck in the .45. :whistling:

Even better - don't tumble .45 ACP, .40 and 9mm at the same time. A guy I know :embarassed: did that a few years back and lost both a 9mm case and a .40 case during one separation surgery (at least the .45 survived :supergrin:).

bry@n
01-12-2012, 21:13
I have access to a sorter with trays that sort all the different calibers. The sorter is from http://www.ultimatesorter.com/ and is awesome. I usually sort a 5 gallon bucket at a time.

PCJim
01-12-2012, 22:25
I have access to a sorter with trays that sort all the different calibers. The sorter is from http://www.ultimatesorter.com/ and is awesome. I usually sort a 5 gallon bucket at a time.

But does it separate 40 from 10mm, 9mm from 380, 38spl from 357mag, etc... There usually remains some manual checking. The best sorter I have ever seen is the commercial roller bar sorter, very similar to what JMorris created.

shotgunred
01-13-2012, 06:01
The best way to sort 40 and 10 is to set them on a flat table and sort by height. No need to look at the head stamp at all.

Beanie-Bean
01-13-2012, 07:01

9 gets stuck in 40 and 10, too. I only tumble the same caliber together for now. I'm not quite at the point of tumbling by brand/headstamp yet, but the latest catch of .45 ACP is pushing me in that direction. Right now, I'd say I've got about 50% LPP (my stuff) and 50% SPP (range pickup--mainly Federal, Blazer, and Speer)

Want rid of the 45 colt brass? :dunno:

I'll save some for you if I can get enough of a catch. Right now, I only gathered up about 6 pieces. Now that I know there's someone out there who wants it, I'll save it for you. I think the postage will cost more than the brass at this point.

Even better - don't tumble .45 ACP, .40 and 9mm at the same time. A guy I know :embarassed: did that a few years back and lost both a 9mm case and a .40 case during one separation surgery (at least the .45 survived :supergrin:).

That happened to me in the Shellsorter "yellow" basket. 9s inside 40s or 10s, resting in 45s.

That looks expensive.

But does it separate 40 from 10mm, 9mm from 380, 38spl from 357mag, etc... There usually remains some manual checking. The best sorter I have ever seen is the commercial roller bar sorter, very similar to what JMorris created.

Yeah, that was my problem yesterday--40s and 10s.

The best way to sort 40 and 10 is to set them on a flat table and sort by height. No need to look at the head stamp at all.

Yup, I may adopt that method if things get out of hand again. At the end of yesterday's session, I was just doing a visual of the cases in my left hand against the 10mm case in my right hand. The table method sounds easier. Thanks!

Shadyscott69
01-13-2012, 07:05

Works with 380 and 9mm too.

rpgman
01-13-2012, 07:24
I only tumble the same caliber together for now.

so, do I.
I tumble 9mm alone and .40 alone and 38 Special alone then sort by head stamp after each tumble.

Greg

Beanie-Bean
01-13-2012, 07:26
Works with 380 and 9mm too.

Ha! That tray is full at the moment with everything that didn't get caught in the yellow and blue trays, and wasn't a .22--I'll do the height sorting method, because I'm finding that the aluminum tray insert that's supposed to sort between .380 and 9X19 doesn't work as well as I thought it would. I think that the height comparison sorting method will be a lot faster.

Beanie-Bean
01-13-2012, 07:33
so, do I.
I tumble 9mm alone and .40 alone and 38 Special alone then sort by head stamp after each tumble.

Greg

Thanks, Greg. I'll adopt that method going forward. I've already started using a Lee universal decapping die with the brass to help keep the 550 shellplate clean. It just seems that decapping on the press makes the action become "gritty" a lot faster than if I take time to remove all the spent primers. Plus, it's easy to see the SPP vs. LPP spaces in the .45 ACP brass. That's becoming tough to deal with, and I may end up just doing a big order from Starline so I don't cause any loading problems trying to seat a large primer in one of those SPP shells. That really screws up the timing and rhythm of getting stuff loaded up to shoot.

unclebob
01-13-2012, 07:38
Another way is to mark the base of the case with a sharpie. Say red for 40 and blue for 10mm. If it is not marked it is range pickup. I hope you got the mesh tarp. A lot better than regular tarps. At least with the mesh you donít need to stake it down.

Steve Koski
01-13-2012, 09:43
so, do I.

Greg

Zactly.

fredj338
01-13-2012, 12:38
I try to keep range pickups separate, use diff plastic bags so I don't have to sort before or after tumbling. One of the brass pickup, "nutroller" tools is helpful for all you really old guys. The only issue w/ those is they pick up everything. I can see the diff between a 40 & 10 or 380 & 9 on the ground prior to scavanging, but do miss the occasional one.

dkf
01-13-2012, 12:47
I only cleaned .40 and .380 brass together once. Thats another thing I like about .357sig, 9mm and .380 brass won't fit inside it.

PCJim
01-13-2012, 15:48
Beanie, I have had pretty good results using the alum insert inside the 45 tray. I very carefully align the insert slots with those in the 45 tray.

Take all your 9mm/380 and resort it thru this 380/45 setup. It will sort most, if not all, of the 380 from the 9mm. Don't overload the tray, keep it so that there is plenty of room to vigorously shake the tray. And use ear protection - that is one rather noisy separation system.

F106 Fan
01-13-2012, 16:51
One thing I have noticed is that when I put a bunch of .45 ACP brass in a plastic box to lube it, most of the brass is standing up. If I shake the box from side to side, even more stands up. In fact, I have a tough time pushing it down so that I can spray the side of the case.

So, I wonder if the same thing will happen with 40 & 10mm cases? If so, the taller 10mm cases will be easily visible.

I don't load .380, 40 S&W or 10mm so I haven't tried this.

I have found the aluminum plate to be very useful in separating 9mm and .380 ACP. I do load 9mm.

Richard

Beanie-Bean
01-13-2012, 17:10
Guys, thank you for the tips. I 'll be adopting them going forward. I should have brought something else with me to read this, because I can't type very well in this phone.

Appreciate all of the feedback.

Cheers!

njl
01-14-2012, 08:08
I try to keep dirty brass sorted by caliber. The only mixed caliber tumbling I've intentionally done is 9mm and .38 special. Being more or less the same caliber, they won't nest, and they're easy enough to differentiate after tumbling.

PCJim
01-14-2012, 08:17
I try to keep dirty brass sorted by caliber. The only mixed caliber tumbling I've intentionally done is 9mm and .38 special. Being more or less the same caliber, they won't nest, and they're easy enough to differentiate after tumbling.

And if you're using those shell sorting trays, the 38spl will catch in the 40, separating them from the 9s that drop thru.