once fired brass.....case trimmer needed? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : once fired brass.....case trimmer needed?

snatiep
01-13-2012, 10:49
Hello Everyone!

I just picked up 1,000 once fired, unprocessed 9mm Speer brass.

I'm going to get the tumbler going this weekend to get them all cleaned up.

Should I go ahead and buy a case trimmer to be certain they are all the same length.

These rounds are just going to be (hopefully) inexpensive practice rounds for my G19 and G26.

Thank you very much!
Nate

Boxerglocker
01-13-2012, 10:57
Case trimming pistol brass is not necessary regardless of the number of loadings.

F106 Fan
01-13-2012, 11:02
Just check to see if the primers are crimped. If so, you will need the proper tool to swage the pockets. There is a LOT of 9mm with crimped pockets laying on the ground.

Richard

rg1
01-13-2012, 11:03
You don't need to trim 9MM cases. They will vary a little in length but it doesn't matter and the taper crimp die doesn't need exact length to give a good crimp. You don't need to trim cases like .45ACP, 40 SW, 9MM etc. that headspace on the case mouth and are taper crimped. I'd tumble the cases with the old primer left in to avoid media in the primer flash hole. It's a good idea to use the barrel from your G19 as a case gauge to make sure they chamber after you size the cases and after you seat the bullets.

TN.Frank
01-13-2012, 11:30
Normally case trimming is reserved for bottle neck ctgs, guess you could throw the 357 Sig and 7.62x25mm in that bunch and they are pistol ctgs. Still, I'd measure your cases with your dial calipers(you DO have a set of dial calipers, don't you?) and get an idea of OAL of the cases. I really don't think they'll need to be trimmed though.

PCJim
01-13-2012, 16:39
As stated, it is not necessary to trim straight walled pistol cases unless maybe you are pushing max 357 or 44mag rounds. Tumble the 9mm cases BEFORE resizing/depriming so that you don't get media stuck in the flash holes. The media won't clean the primer pockets anyway, (another step that isn't necessary with pistol cases).

jdavionic
01-13-2012, 16:44
Just check to see if the primers are crimped. If so, you will need the proper tool to swage the pockets. There is a LOT of 9mm with crimped pockets laying on the ground.

Richard

+1...and no case trimming needed for 9mm pistol brass.

snatiep
01-13-2012, 17:14
Thank you all very much for your help and comments! Very much appreciated!

Nate

fredj338
01-13-2012, 17:48
I ahve never trimmed a service pistol case, never will either.