Concealed carry or even self defense firearm: The KISS Principle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Concealed carry or even self defense firearm: The KISS Principle

CDR_Glock
01-13-2012, 12:27
This is not commonly a topic I've read, and pardon me, if I've overlooked the section in your book.

It seems logical to me that if someone is going to conceal carry a firearm that training should be done to the point of Things Being Second Nature: Drawing, Shooting, Maneuvering. Even as a competitive shooter, I see most practices do NOT translate to reality and can be quite deadly.

My theory is that someone who intends to carry concealed should use one gun or a similar gun for that purpose. For me, that's a gun without an external safety. So it's a Glock or a revolver. Mechanics are similar, though reloading is different. One must be as proficient shooting, drawing, reloading the pistol, I believe. Otherwise, the result can be lethal.

I don't think it's wise using a different platform in the mix for myself, like a 1911, with an external safety that is actuated by moving the safety down, or another pistol like a Beretta Storm whose safety has to be pushed up. From my reading, with law enforcement, it's hard enough for people to remember if the round is in the chamber OR if the safety is on.

QUESTION:

Why would anyone (who is not in law enforcement, special warfare or SWAT, like a regular citizen) want to try to carry and use different platforms for self defense or concealed carry?

My follow-on questions:

Of the different weapons someone may own, assuming that someone is equally competent and skillful, is there a REASONABLE maximum number of pistols someone should have in their training rotation for actual carry or use? Do you think someone would be equally effective with all of their handguns?

Is the choice of barrel length going to make any effective difference in ballistics when choosing from a snubby to a 5" barrel at self defense ranges (point black to 10 yards) anyways?

Assuming a Glock for a Primary, wouldn't a backup snubby or second Glock be faster than a tactical reload? Are Glocks as reliable as a revolver for "contact shooting" (pressed against the chest, for example)?

Mas Ayoob
01-14-2012, 07:32
Answering more or less in order of the questions:

Logic tells us to follow (John) "Bianchi's Law": same kind of gun, same kind of holster, same place, all the time. Makes sense for pure self-defense.

Why change? Some folks duties include testing different guns and teaching different guns (me, for instance) and they have to stay current with many systems. Some shoot matches in which different guns are required for different events. (Raise my hand for that one, too.) Some need different guns in different places for different tasks, with different wardrobes.

The commonality doesn't stop at whether or not each gun has a manual safety or a decocking lever. Length of trigger stroke has a lot to do with it. Someone habituated to a short trigger reset can fail to return the trigger on a gun that has a longer stroke, which will prevent the next round from firing.

I don't think ballistics is the main reason to select barrel length in most calibers. Balance, concealability, and hit potential factors are more of a concern for most.

Reload versus going to a second gun will depend on where the spare ammo and spare gun are carried, and how quickly each individual can perform each maneuver.

Finally, most auto pistols including the Glock will go out of battery if rammed against an opponent's chest and fired. One exception is the XD in the shorter barrel models, since the recoil spring guide rod extends slightly forward of the muzzle and creates "stand-off effect." The same is true of most auto pistols with flashlight attached, for the same reason.

best,
Mas

CDR_Glock
01-14-2012, 12:05
Oops, double post. Darn iPad.

CDR_Glock
01-14-2012, 12:10
Thanks, Brother.

I had never considered the draw stroke/trigger reset. Thanks for that point. Something to think about and practice. Seems like my dry fire practice should be with my revolvers more than my autos. My autos have the same pull/stroke - G30/27/23/36.

Yeah, I was referring to simple folk, like myself who are using a gun for SD, not the professionals who test or use multiple platforms for their occupation or competition. Thanks.

By the way, I read your books on my Kindle. Any chance of your earlier books going on the Kindle platform (like In Gravest Extreme, and others)?

Mas Ayoob
01-14-2012, 15:35
That's up to those who publish 'em, CDR, not those of us who just write 'em.
best,
Mas