GOT MY DILLON ORDERED WITH EVERYTHING NEEDED TO START!!!! / starting data? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GOT MY DILLON ORDERED WITH EVERYTHING NEEDED TO START!!!! / starting data?

mike g35
01-13-2012, 12:56
I finally ordered my Dillon Precision 550 press with all the accesories I need to get started. Even bought a chronograph a Competition Electronics and a starter bench from Stack-On, the 382. Anyone that knows me on here knows my passion for Carver Custom raceguns and shooting with the dot and comp., finally I can start building loads to suit those guns. :supergrin:

Before it's even said I realize some of you told me to go with the 650, but my sponsor Bobby Carver as well as Dillon Precision and Brian Enos and even some of you told me to go with the 550, so I did.

Now its time to gather some data, here's what I am thinking of starting with. For the 40S&W limited I am thinking of starting with a 180gr bullet, for the open (compensated) a 155 or 135. For my 9mm open gun, 124gr and for the production (GSSF) load I am thinking 147gr. Figured I would start with Federal primers and Winchester Auto-Comp powder. I have about 5000 cases, once fired, to start with so I am good in that respect. I am planning on getting all of my bullets from Montana Gold and X-treme.

So those are the bullets weights I know I need to be running. My question here is are there better powders to run in these guns with these bullet weights and if so what are they and why???? Keep in mind the 40 open and limited must make major power factor (IPSC) and the open 9 minor IPSC PF. Thanks.

rpgman
01-13-2012, 13:01
Cool...
so why the 550 and NOT the xl650?
Greg

rpgman
01-13-2012, 13:03
Cool...
so why the 550 and NOT the xl650?
Greg

oops sorry, you answered that.
I still think the xl650 was the right choice.
I bet Ron agrees.

rpgman
01-13-2012, 13:05
I use Precision Delta 147gr FMJ with 4.3gr of Unique for GSSF in 9mm

and, in .40, I use Precision Delta 165gr FMJ with 6.1gr of Unique for GSSF.

I don't shoot any other leagues, yet.
Greg

mike g35
01-13-2012, 13:11
oops sorry, you answered that.
I still think the xl650 was the right choice.
I bet Ron agrees.
To be honest with you Greg it was a matter of simplicity. The 550 is the recommended press for someone just getting started in reloading and with me having to develop some loads that are going to push safe pressure standards anyway I thought the simpler the machine the better off I would be. The 650 has all the bells and whistles that you could ever want, but to be honest I just didn't want them. One thing I know is to be successful you need to use the K.I.S.S. method. Keepin' it simple my friend, I'm just keepin' it simple.

SigFTW
01-13-2012, 13:21
You will love the 550B, easy, quick and reliable!:cool:

Zombie Steve
01-13-2012, 13:53
Make sure that it's a fast burning powder and you load at least 1,000 before you test.

:whistling:

Kidding. Please don't listen to me.

rpgman
01-13-2012, 14:00
Make sure that it's a fast burning powder and you load at least 1,000 before you test.

:whistling:

Kidding. Please don't listen to me.

lol, 'The 1000 loaded round guy'

Bello
01-13-2012, 14:03
congrats on your machine you will enjoy it!

mike g35
01-13-2012, 14:07
SURE I will load 10,000 instead though OK?LOL

I actually know quite a bit about reloading if "book knowledge" counts for anything. The actual reloading process I have only gone through with a SS RCBS press loading for a rifle. But it was a 338-06 that a local custom rifle builder built as his deer gun. Freakin' wildcat caliber, he confused me enough with the thought of that gun let alone trying to remember all the steps in loading. The 550 seemed to me to be the best choice. I have, in Rons words, been "waffling" back and forth for months now and decided to just make a decision. I am going to have a really nice looking set-up if thats worth anything, lots of blue on the bench!!! :o)

unclebob
01-13-2012, 14:09
The 650 is no more complicated than a 550. In some respects it is simpler. Not counting the same steps as a 550. You have 3 items to pull off, and unscrew one piece. Screw in one piece and install 3 other pieces. And the press auto indexes. If anyone thinks that is complicated than many I suggest they take up golf.

mike g35
01-13-2012, 14:10
I use Precision Delta 147gr FMJ with 4.3gr of Unique for GSSF in 9mm

and, in .40, I use Precision Delta 165gr FMJ with 6.1gr of Unique for GSSF.

I don't shoot any other leagues, yet.
Greg
Greg what type of press are you using?? A 650?? Those are awesome machines, just a bit much for my purposes. Besides I like to sit and do anything that has anything to do with shooting. A slower machine just gives me more time to relax.

Fire_Medic
01-13-2012, 14:12
I will give you my $0.02 cents on powder.

Fred turned me on to WSF for most anything not 45 a long time ago and I have been VERY happy with that powder. Like you I used it to shoot 40 SW and then used it in 9mm. I get very clean burning and accurate loads in both calibers with a factory like feel in recoil. I have used Unique as well with good success, but to me WSF is an improved Unique if you will as it meters great, especially though my 550B.

YMMV, but WSF sounds like the perfect powder for you and what your intended use is.

rpgman
01-13-2012, 14:15
Greg what type of press are you using?? A 650?? Those are awesome machines, just a bit much for my purposes. Besides I like to sit and do anything that has anything to do with shooting. A slower machine just gives me more time to relax.

I started in August with a Lyman T-Mag II Turret Press and the beginning of November, I got my xl650 and load 9mm and .40 on it.

I now load my wife's 38 special on the Lyman T-Mag II because she doesn't shoot as much as I do.

I shoot any where from 2000 to 3000 rounds a month now.

I was going to get the 550, but Ron who has a 550 (and now a new xl650) suggested I go with the xl650, and I'm glad he did.
Greg

rpgman
01-13-2012, 14:18
I will give you my $0.02 cents on powder.

Fred turned me on to WSF for most anything not 45 a long time ago and I have been VERY happy with that powder. Like you I used it to shoot 40 SW and then used it in 9mm. I get very clean burning and accurate loads in both calibers with a factory like feel in recoil. I have used Unique as well with good success, but to me WSF is an improved Unique if you will as it meters great, especially though my 550B.

YMMV, but WSF sounds like the perfect powder for you and what your intended use is.

I got a pound of that two weeks ago to try. I'm tired of how Unique meters in my xl650.
Greg

RustyFN
01-13-2012, 14:23
I load on a 550 and it's a great machine. The 650 would have been faster and let you add on a case feeder that works good, I have heard the case feeder for the 550 doesn't work real good. I live a little north of you and shoot at Fort Harmar Rifle Club in Ohio. Hopefully I'll see you at the GSSF match later in the year.

fredj338
01-13-2012, 14:33
There is no downside to loading on a 550b but speed. A great machine & I use a 550B & 650.
JMO, Noob reloaders should stick w/ components & data readily available. Autcomp may be fine for 40 maj, I have no idea, but there is so little data for it. Lots of good powder/bullet combos in the 2-3 reloading manuals you should already have. As FM notes, I like WSF, also Unique for upper midrange 40 loads. Lots of data for both powders. Others will work, sure, I can make any powder go bang, but a good medium burner like WSF, Unique, Universal or PP makes it easier & safer for the noob. Enjoy the 550!

Colorado4Wheel
01-13-2012, 14:46
Congratulations. You will enjoy the new press.

GioaJack
01-13-2012, 15:14
Can you bump draft with race guns? :dunno:

Jack

lethal tupperwa
01-13-2012, 15:40
Mike, just remember Not to load a 1000 of anything Until you know it works.

Start with 20 of a load to try.

Pulling bullets takes lots of time.

ron59
01-13-2012, 15:46
Keep in mind the 40 open and limited must make major power factor (IPSC) and the open 9 minor IPSC PF. Thanks.

Why do you say that?
If you're not shooting major, you're at a huge disadvantage in open/limited, etc.

mike g35
01-13-2012, 15:52
Mike, just remember Not to load a 1000 of anything Until you know it works.

Start with 20 of a load to try.

Pulling bullets takes lots of time.
Thanks, will do. I am trying to find some data for a light GSSF load. 124gr Montana Gold, Federal primer, Win. brass, thats that, now I'm trying to figure out what powder to start with.
From what I have read HS-6 sounds good for my open guns, fast burning and lots of it. Should produce more gas and faster to make the compensator run more efficiently. So thats what I will most likely start with for those, unless someone has a better opinion, just remeber I need alot of gas from alot gas to run my compensators correctly.
What powder do you guys suggest for light 9mm loads using the 124gr bullet???

mike g35
01-13-2012, 15:54
Greg I am really glad you have started shooting more, thats awesome man!!! Kudos!!! And great machine also, I just had to be different :) LOL

mike g35
01-13-2012, 15:59
Why do you say that?
If you're not shooting major, you're at a huge disadvantage in open/limited, etc.
The 9mm is going to be running in steel matches, NRA Action, and GSSF for a while not USPSA. I need enough gas to run the comp efficiently but I do not need to build 9 major just yet. I figure that if I have a 40 cal racer I shouldn't be in any rush to start loading 9 major, I will eventually but not now. IPSC minor through the 9mm, actually just a bit over, is what I figured would run the gun best for its intended purpose. Its a matter of skill, I'm new to reloading and have none :) and I refuse to blow up the NOVA.

rpgman
01-13-2012, 16:05
Greg I am really glad you have started shooting more, thats awesome man!!! Kudos!!! And great machine also, I just had to be different :) LOL

Thanks.
I still stink though
But it's fun making ammo

This forum has become my favorite here on GT.

PCJim
01-13-2012, 16:22
Mike, congrats on the purchase. Regardless of whether it was a 550 or 650, you did not make a wrong decision.

fredj338
01-13-2012, 16:39
Thanks, will do. I am trying to find some data for a light GSSF load. 124gr Montana Gold, Federal primer, Win. brass, thats that, now I'm trying to figure out what powder to start with.
From what I have read HS-6 sounds good for my open guns, fast burning and lots of it. Should produce more gas and faster to make the compensator run more efficiently. So thats what I will most likely start with for those, unless someone has a better opinion, just remeber I need alot of gas from alot gas to run my compensators correctly.
What powder do you guys suggest for light 9mm loads using the 124gr bullet???
I am sure it's relative, but I would NOT call HS6 fast burning. IMO, it's right at the upper end of what I term a medium burner, so medium slow. That's why you have to use more of it to reach higher vel & pressures than say (ugh) TG. The slower the powder, the more you need to reach higher pressures & vel. Something like PowerPistol is going to give you quite a bit of blast, probably what is desired for running a comp efficiently, also a medium burner.

Boxerglocker
01-13-2012, 16:54
Mike Congrats on your 550, you made a good choice.
I'll just give my 2 cents and you can take it or leave it.... SLOW DOWN... Pick one gun and develop a load for it... don't worry about the others for now until you have gone through all the trials and tribulations of getting one gun to run with a acceptable load for your intended purpose. I would suggest the 9mm minor load.
Once you get a thousand or so rounds under your belt, that you have developed the correct PF, OAL, shot it on Chronograph in your gun and tested for accuracy as well as reliability. Then move to the next caliber/gun.
I hate to say this but your boarding the edge of danger trying to encompass all this at once. Rant over... Good luck :wavey:

fredj338
01-13-2012, 20:41
I'll just give my 2 cents and you can take it or leave it.... SLOW DOWN... Pick one gun and develop a load for it... don't worry about the others for now until you have gone through all the trials and tribulations of getting one gun to run with a acceptable load for your intended purpose. I would suggest the 9mm minor load.
Once you get a thousand or so rounds under your belt, that you have developed the correct PF, OAL, shot it on Chronograph in your gun and tested for accuracy as well as reliability. Then move to the next caliber/gun.
I hate to say this but your boarding the edge of danger trying to encompass all this at once. Rant over... Good luck :wavey:

It's the run before you walk generation. A progressive press only fosters that instant gratification thing.:whistling: Some of the newer guys are even touting you don't need no stinking reloading manuals!:faint:

unclebob
01-13-2012, 20:47
I have not used a comp gun in years. But it all depends on what make and how many ports you have. Also you need enough pressure for the comp to work. But not so much that it pushes the muzzle way down.
Most of use for GSSF prefer the 147 and 135 grain bullets. For the light loads that we use the 147 and 135 have more weight to knock over the pepper poppers. And sometimes low corner hits on the plates.

mike g35
01-13-2012, 22:47
Thats about the best advice I have got all day. Don't know about that not needing load manuals thing in the other post, I will live by my data. I am going to take it one gun at a time. I may sound like I'm not but what I am doing is trying to get everything together for what I MAY need in the next few months. I am going to place an online order for the powder and as we all know there's a HUGE hazmat fee associated with doing that. So I figured if I had some different powders to start with I would be spending a little wiser than paying that over and over again. Guess you could say I am "idea fishing". I'll be starting with the simple light target load for GSSF, out of my stock G17. I'm trying to assemble a decent starter kit for reloading. Do you think I might be better served just holding off on worrying about the other load componets right now???

(Hey Greg, this will probably become my favorite forum on GT also, I am getting into this reloading stuff and haven't really even got started.)

Colorado4Wheel
01-13-2012, 22:57
I didn't know we were supposed to give good advice. I see were I have gone wrong now.

Boxerglocker
01-14-2012, 00:20
Thats about the best advice I have got all day. Don't know about that not needing load manuals thing in the other post, I will live by my data. I am going to take it one gun at a time. I may sound like I'm not but what I am doing is trying to get everything together for what I MAY need in the next few months. I am going to place an online order for the powder and as we all know there's a HUGE hazmat fee associated with doing that. So I figured if I had some different powders to start with I would be spending a little wiser than paying that over and over again. Guess you could say I am "idea fishing". I'll be starting with the simple light target load for GSSF, out of my stock G17. I'm trying to assemble a decent starter kit for reloading. Do you think I might be better served just holding off on worrying about the other load componets right now???

(Hey Greg, this will probably become my favorite forum on GT also, I am getting into this reloading stuff and haven't really even got started.)

Pick a powder that is a proven medium burner, I would say WSF (what do you think Fred?) get 8#s and 5K in primers. That will spread your hazmat costs and make it worthwhile.
WSF should get you going with 9mm minor and .40 major with little problems. Burn through that and once your actual technique is perfected, having a system in place buy a pound of this and that locally to experiment with, then decide on that 3 or 4 - 8# keg order.

rpgman
01-14-2012, 03:01
Pick a powder that is a proven medium burner, I would say WSF (what do you think Fred?) get 8#s and 5K in primers. That will spread your hazmat costs and make it worthwhile.
WSF should get you going with 9mm minor and .40 major with little problems. Burn through that and once your actual technique is perfected, having a system in place buy a pound of this and that locally to experiment with, then decide on that 3 or 4 - 8# keg order.

That's what I did.
Picked up 5k of primers and. 4 pounds of Unique when I started.
Now I'm onto WSF since the Unique doesn't meter well in my 650.

Mike u can pickup good deals on primers from Grafs.
Greg

lethal tupperwa
01-14-2012, 06:28
light loads reduce the effect of a compensator.

PCJim
01-14-2012, 08:03
I'll agree with Boxer. 8# of a good medium burner (Unique, WSF, W231) is never a bad purchase. And if you have some ideas on other powders, order those in 1# cans at the same time - they'll be less expensive thru the net and the additional shipping weight charge will be minimal. The hazmat will have already been covered with the 8#er and primers.

mike g35
01-14-2012, 09:41
I'll agree with Boxer. 8# of a good medium burner (Unique, WSF, W231) is never a bad purchase. And if you have some ideas on other powders, order those in 1# cans at the same time - they'll be less expensive thru the net and the additional shipping weight charge will be minimal. The hazmat will have already been covered with the 8#er and primers.
Thanks for all of your good advice everyone. I just got back from my local gunshop and they agreed to sell me powder at the same cost that I can get it for online. So I think I am going to just get a pound of powder at a time and test things until I find something I like. But if you and boxer think the WSF is the way to go for a starting point thats where I will start. Not going with Montana Gold bullets either. Decided to save money and buy from Precision Delta. Thanks for that tip Greg. And primers are easy Federals, and I have thousands of Win. cases so it looks like I am good to go. I have one more question though but I'll start up a new thread to not confuse the point.

rpgman
01-14-2012, 11:32
Thanks for all of your good advice everyone. I just got back from my local gunshop and they agreed to sell me powder at the same cost that I can get it for online. So I think I am going to just get a pound of powder at a time and test things until I find something I like. But if you and boxer think the WSF is the way to go for a starting point thats where I will start. Not going with Montana Gold bullets either. Decided to save money and buy from Precision Delta. Thanks for that tip Greg. And primers are easy Federals, and I have thousands of Win. cases so it looks like I am good to go. I have one more question though but I'll start up a new thread to not confuse the point.

Well the thanks should go to Ron since he turned me onto Precision Delta.

mike g35
01-14-2012, 12:22
Well the thanks should go to Ron since he turned me onto Precision Delta.
I hear ya, good ol' Ron has helped the both of us with alot of stuff. The info he gave me on practices helped me immensely. Dropped my plate times by 4 seconds because of that. And I shoot more accurately now. That dude knows his stuff. But thank you anyway for reminding me Greg.

Colorado4Wheel
01-15-2012, 08:49
I would like to drop my plate rack time by 4 secs. That would be awesome. I think I would qualify as a vampire (moving at the speed of light). So that would be cool. I would like to be 10 years younger if I am going to live forever.

mike g35
01-15-2012, 15:04
I would like to drop my plate rack time by 4 secs. That would be awesome. I think I would qualify as a vampire (moving at the speed of light). So that would be cool. I would like to be 10 years younger if I am going to live forever.
When my times dropped like that (on the range by the way not in competition where it freakin counts) I was shooting super crappy plate runs. But my biggest issue in competition was nerves until today. I guess I have finally shot enough matches that my nerves have started to calm. Its a good thing to, today the word I heard most was ALPHA. But my GSSF plate times still suck, and until I get to a match with this new found confidence and run the 2.87's (UL )and 3.42's (AmCiv) I do on the range I will keep on saying they suck.

lethal tupperwa
01-15-2012, 15:43
funny what that timer beep will do to you.

mike g35
01-15-2012, 18:13
funny what that timer beep will do to you.
You got that right!!! But its funny, today when I shot USPSA, which is by far a harder sport than GSSF, I had no problems. No nerves, had a good match, actually shot way above the level which I expected myself to. The range had good people, nice and helpful with never a bad word to say and stage set-ups that were really nice. I didn't have any mikes and no procedurals of course, shot two stages all Alphas. But then when I shoot GSSF I get nervous and cant keep from shaking and cant concentrate on what I am doing, make bad hits and can barely run plates in 10 seconds that I typically run at the range in under 4. Wonder why I'm like that? I thought I would do horribly today, nope, exactly the opposite. It felt good to come home with a good match under my belt.

lethal tupperwa
01-16-2012, 06:20
you got watch out for the Evil Eye --IF---Ed is around:O)

lethal tupperwa
01-16-2012, 06:22
Mike, when you are reloading read everything slowly and maybe twice.

Skimming over the information and missing something can get dangerous.

mike g35
01-16-2012, 12:08
Mike, when you are reloading read everything slowly and maybe twice.

Skimming over the information and missing something can get dangerous.
Thanks Jim, I have been reading everything twice so far. Safety isn't something I plan to sacrifice for speed. ( and I can feel that evil eye on me right now!:supergrin:)