.30-378 Wby? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .30-378 Wby?

gjk5
01-13-2012, 22:31
Anyone ever loaded (or owned) a .30-378 Weatherby Mag? I think I just bought one:whistling:

I put $900 down on it so I suppose buyer's remorse is pointless.:embarassed:

My boss has one and has taken elk and muley at ridiculous distances, he has the Thompson Long Range rifle (Weatherby MKV Accumark with a Leupold Custom shop 4.5-14 scope that has Ballistic drop dots from zero to 1000 yds).

100+ gr of Retumbo in this big .30 makes it flat as hell. I can buy the same scope and have the same setup he paid $3900 for about $2300.

This rifle has a reputation as a barrel burner but he says no (runs an elk outfitting service and makes most of his hunters shooting over 500yds use his rifle and has 90% hits) and has used his for 5 years.

Just thought having a .30 that only drops 18ish inches @ 1K yds would be great.

Any thoughts or input appreciated.

gjk5
01-13-2012, 22:34
In addition the Weatherby Mags have a reputation for long freebore (not necessarily a bad thing) AND lots of internet chatter about throat erosion, I can back out on this buy if necessary, how do you check for throat erosion?

PCJim
01-14-2012, 08:41
I'm not a gunsmith, although I am not afraid to venture into a rebuild on some of my pistols. If you have a local gunsmith that you trust, make a provision in the sale transaction that allows you to have it inspected. Similar to purchasing a car where you have your trusty mechanic give it a once over before forking over the change.

dkf
01-14-2012, 10:24
You need a bore scope to check the barrel well. Probably best to have an experienced gunsmith look it over as PCJim suggested. It would suck to spend all that coin on a rifle and then have to spend more to get it rebarreled.

Here is some reading.
http://www.stevekershawfirearms.co.uk/problembarrels.html
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/01/barrel-throst-erosion-revealed/
http://www.gsgroup.co.za/faqbarrelwear.html

smokeross
01-14-2012, 10:44
Two of my brother have them. They shoot all kinds of things at incredible yardage. Tactical scopes work well for this.

tjpet
01-14-2012, 11:41
Rule #1: There are plenty of 1000 yard rifles. There aren't many consistant 1000 yard shooters. A consistant shooter would be able to call his shot 3 out of 5 times under all conditions. A lot of guys talk but most can't do.

The big .300s shoot flat but not 18" flat at 1000 yards. Try 150-200" depending on bullet weight/velocity - that's 12.5 to 16.5 feet.

Barrel wear is an issue but not for hunting unless you shoot A LOT. A rifle will have to consistantly put 10 shots into .5" or less to be truly effective way out yonder. That will take load development and a barrel will get wear through the effort.

The videos that show long range kills are impressive. But you never see the botched gut shots or blown off legs, jaws, etc. of shots that weren't on the mark. I know a guy who use to work for well-known long range shooter making videos and he quit because of the aforementioned.

I own a 30-378 and a .300 Ultra mag. Both will reach out but I don't take game shots over 500 yards because Im the limiting factor. As are most people.

Remember, 1000 yards is one hell of a long way.

gjk5
01-14-2012, 11:59
I did scope the barrel and it looked pretty good, action seemed pretty tight too (that MKV action is pretty nice!)

gjk5
01-14-2012, 12:07
Rule #1: There are plenty of 1000 yard rifles. There aren't many consistant 1000 yard shooters. A consistant shooter would be able to call his shot 3 out of 5 times under all conditions. A lot of guys talk but most can't do.

The big .300s shoot flat but not 18" flat at 1000 yards. Try 150-200" depending on bullet weight/velocity - that's 12.5 to 16.5 feet.

Barrel wear is an issue but not for hunting unless you shoot A LOT. A rifle will have to consistantly put 10 shots into .5" or less to be truly effective way out yonder. That will take load development and a barrel will get wear through the effort.

The videos that show long range kills are impressive. But you never see the botched gut shots or blown off legs, jaws, etc. of shots that weren't on the mark. I know a guy who use to work for well-known long range shooter making videos and he quit because of the aforementioned.

I own a 30-378 and a .300 Ultra mag. Both will reach out but I don't take game shots over 500 yards because Im the limiting factor. As are most people.

Remember, 1000 yards is one hell of a long way.

Sorry, wen tback and looked at that page I got the 18" from, it was 500......:embarassed:

Zombie Steve
01-14-2012, 13:20
Some brave guys in this thread.

I helped a buddy work up a .300 RUM load, and that was enough to turn me off it forever. Impressive numbers, but this gun was brutal to shoot. It's more .30 cal than I'll ever use.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with it. Make sure you're shooting a tough bullet in case you get that close up shot you weren't expecting.

FWIW, we got great results with Reloader 25 and a CCI large rifle mag primer.

Ethereal Killer
01-14-2012, 13:47
had one... sold it and was glad as hell.

was a pleasure to shoot, shot well, lots of power blah blah blah...

the BRASS COST $3.50 A PIECE!!

wanted to shoot a long range match with the monster, but couldnt find enough ammo in the whole town of the same type to complete the 80round course of fire. if I had it woulda cost me $400-500!!

NOT a good choice for a long range rifle it turns out. the 338 lapua is easier to live with and more affordable overall and give better ballistics.

I skipped it and went with the 300wm which doesnt give up much if anything in the REAL world to the 30-378 and does it for about 1/4 the cost.

sold the rifle, dies, brass, ammo and scope and was never happier.

do yourself a favor and dont spend a bunch of money on it that you cant get back out. shoot it till you are satisfied you've had teh experience (which is COOL) then strip it down and move on.

you are gonna LOVE the muzzle blast! :D