Hey El Nino! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hey El Nino!

Boxerglocker
01-14-2012, 00:03
OK I'm no Steven Spielberg, but here you go as requested. 50 cases in 2:30 minutes with a malf in there that I had to help along (case with a crushed rim groove on one side), roughly 500 a half hour.

http://youtu.be/Jpl9R7SmjHk

labdwakin
01-14-2012, 01:06
Nice, I guess I'll have to get one now... the money spending never ends it seems....

EL_NinO619
01-14-2012, 01:17
Nice vid, Thanks. Dude I believe it, That thing kicks ARS.. I did a 100 tonight in no time.
Let me tell you about the set up though. Putting it all together was very easy and self explanatory. The LnL has a huge head so the die is all the way down to the last thread. I adjusted the size of the blade down to a already trimmed case. Tighten down all the lock nuts etc, well I thought. I get ready to trim, turn on the vacuum then the trimmer..... HOLLY SIHT it was like someone set of a sparkler. The cutter has so much torque I guess I did not tighten enough and everything came lose, even backed off the bushing and started trimming the dillon trim die...OUCH. But after I basically pulled out the torgue wrench and tighten everything way down, it was all smooth sailing. It really does make quick work of trimming and does a perfect clean cut. Even with it trimming a die first.. I did a 100 in probably 3-5 minutes and that's with the LEE decapping pin popping out. I don't think the Lee die can put up with having to work so fast now. If anyone reads this buy the trimmer, it really makes the worst part of reloading rifle a real joy again..

I will update you after tomorrow when I try .308. I am a little concerned just because of the shear force it takes to re-size .308 sometimes.. Using a RCBS Small Base.

Boxerglocker
01-14-2012, 01:37
Yeah, you cry when you first spend the cash but smile soon after you start using it :supergrin:

Let me know how it goes with .308

I started messing with my Dillon super swage tonight. Trying to make the automation mod more robust. I will post little video when I'm done.

Colorado4Wheel
01-14-2012, 07:39
Tighten the Lee die with wrench while it's in the toolhead. Make it really tight. You won't break it. Some collets just need more force.

PCJim
01-14-2012, 08:16
WOW, now you're trying to push me into a 650 AND a 1200.

Sanity check here, as I simply don't shoot enough auto rifle to justify the acquisition costs...

shotgunred
01-14-2012, 08:59
So what type of :drink: do you like mitch?

Boxerglocker
01-14-2012, 10:55
So what type of :drink: do you like mitch?

Already told you Mike, come over anytime you want to try it out.... It's BYOB.... "bring your own brass" along for a six pack of "Blue Moon" give me something to do while I watch :supergrin:

GioaJack
01-14-2012, 11:36
Very nice set-up indeed. Probably easier than enlisting just to shoot a bunch of 5.56. But look at all the travel to exotic places you miss out on... and the good food.

Jack

Boxerglocker
01-14-2012, 12:24
Here is the Dillon Super Swage 600 mod to semi automate. I got the idea of using the spring and 1/16 cable from Unclebob rather than the rubber band and string making it more robust. Note: the video is for illustrating the way it works. The camera angle was awkward to shoot. Normally I would move the handle with my right hand and exchange brass with the left sitting down.

http://youtu.be/B9VLAeFwnq4

EL_NinO619
01-14-2012, 15:08
Here is the Dillon Super Swage 600 mod to semi automate. I got the idea of using the spring and 1/16 cable from Unclebob rather than the rubber band and string making it more robust. Note: the video is for illustrating the way it works. The camera angle was awkward to shoot. Normally I would move the handle with my right hand and exchange brass with the left sitting down.

http://youtu.be/B9VLAeFwnq4

Damn you to hell.....:steamed: Another item added to wishlist. I have the RCBS but that looks a lot easier due to not having to force pop the brass off the swage nipple..

Boxerglocker
01-14-2012, 15:13
Damn you to hell.....:steamed: Another item added to wishlist. I have the RCBS but that looks a lot easier due to not having to force pop the brass off the swage nipple..

At a hundred bucks the super swage is a good deal if you consider doing your first 1000 cases in terms of time savings is 10 cents a piece. I know it seems strange but that justifies it in my eyes.

shotgunred
01-14-2012, 15:44
Now everyone is making video and embedding them. I feel like I need to go get a camera and learn how to do it myself.

ron59
01-14-2012, 17:08
Now everyone is making video and embedding them. I feel like I need to go get a camera and learn how to do it myself.

?? The youtube link *automatically* makes it embedded, you don't have to do anything special.

I created a thread back before the youtube embedding had been setup on GT. I opened that thread earlier today, and voila! it was an embedded video now.

The thread I'm talking about is this one, first post:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1390921

See how the video is "embedded"? It's nothing more than the youtube link. GT recognizes that and makes it show the video. Damn cool.

ron59
01-14-2012, 18:26
OK I'm no Steven Spielberg, but here you go as requested. 50 cases in 2:30 minutes with a malf in there that I had to help along (case with a crushed rim groove on one side), roughly 500 a half hour.

So I'm confused... looks like you have a separate toolhead where you're using that?

I thought that device was a regular sizing die, you can't set it up in station 1 and have everything else setup like normal? OR.... is the problem that it doesn't resize AND decap?

On the Dillon site, it says it "works like a regular size die", which in my mind means it also decaps as most sizing dies also decap.

:dunno::dunno::dunno:

Boxerglocker
01-14-2012, 18:54
Yes it's a separate tool head dedicated to just decapping sizing and trimming.... Station one is a Dillon full length sizer, set to case gauge specs... you could run just a universal decap die if you wanted too but this set-up is recommended by many before me including the folks at Dillon. The trimmer die at station four, merely mimics the sizer so does not rework the brass, but makes it easier to trim more consistently as the brass is already sized. you adjust the die to size and the height or the motor to the trim length.
Remember you still have to tumble the lube off and swage primer pockets after sizing/trimming.
I'll post another short video of the loading tool head in action later.

Bello
01-14-2012, 23:38
Mitch you finally get a place or you still loading in the storage? Just wondering if you keep it warm so it wont rust as fast

Boxerglocker
01-15-2012, 01:10
Mitch you finally get a place or you still loading in the storage? Just wondering if you keep it warm so it wont rust as fast

Bought a new townhome few months back. Have a 2 car garage but still in moving disorder so everything is still temporary. I'll build a new bench in thhe summer once time permits.