Mossberg 930 SPX: Expanding Magazine Capacity? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 930 SPX: Expanding Magazine Capacity?

CDR_Glock
01-14-2012, 01:07
I have a Mossberg 930 SPX. So I tried filling it up to the max. I could only fit five into the magazine. Opening up the magazine, I didn't find a plug keeping it from filling up to 8. Is there something I could do to maximize its capacity? I was using 2 3/4" shells.

CAcop
01-14-2012, 08:55
Which 2 3/4 shells. The length is only of the fired case. Each loaded shell type can be different size. Some loaded 2 3/4 shells are as long as 3 shells.

DFin
01-14-2012, 09:57
Are you sure that you have a 7 round mag tube? I think the stock mag tube without the Choate extension holds 5 (2 &3/4 in.) shells. Some of the non SPX model 930's are sold without the mag extension. Also did someone change the mag spring? If you have a mag spring that is too long it could reduce the capacity.

CDR_Glock
01-15-2012, 00:44
Are you sure that you have a 7 round mag tube? I think the stock mag tube without the Choate extension holds 5 (2 &3/4 in.) shells. Some of the non SPX model 930's are sold without the mag extension. Also did someone change the mag spring? If you have a mag spring that is too long it could reduce the capacity.

Looks to be a 5 shot magazine. However, I see that there's a 9 shot mag tube. 10 would probably be beyond my barrel:

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page.cfm?PCID=2&MID=15&PSCID=242&Lev=S3

DFin
01-15-2012, 13:12
The SPX in your video appears to have the Choate +2 mag extension and should hold 7 in the tube. A longer extension will extend past the end of the barrel.
Check the following:
1. Are your shells longer than 2&3/4 in?
2. Is your extension attached properly? A slight gap between the mag tube and the extension may cause the follower to hang up.
3. Is there any obstruction in your mag tube or extension that is preventing the follower from moving into the extension?
4. Is your mag tube spring too long? Choate sells the extensions & springs to Mossberg. Maybe the spring was too long and was not cut to the proper length and the extra spring coils are taking up too much room to load the 2 add'l shells. I have read on GT that Choate extensions come with a spring that is longer than needed and has to be cut to fit. You can contact Mossberg via e-mail at Service@mossberg.com. Maybe they will tell you how many coils the spring should have or send you a new spring. You can also send Choate an e-mail at ccmmtt@ipa.net and ask them.

CDR_Glock
01-15-2012, 21:38
The SPX in your video appears to have the Choate +2 mag extension and should hold 7 in the tube. A longer extension will extend past the end of the barrel.
Check the following:
1. Are your shells longer than 2&3/4 in?
2. Is your extension attached properly? A slight gap between the mag tube and the extension may cause the follower to hang up.
3. Is there any obstruction in your mag tube or extension that is preventing the follower from moving into the extension?
4. Is your mag tube spring too long? Choate sells the extensions & springs to Mossberg. Maybe the spring was too long and was not cut to the proper length and the extra spring coils are taking up too much room to load the 2 add'l shells. I have read on GT that Choate extensions come with a spring that is longer than needed and has to be cut to fit. You can contact Mossberg via e-mail at Service@mossberg.com. Maybe they will tell you how many coils the spring should have or send you a new spring. You can also send Choate an e-mail at ccmmtt@ipa.net and ask them.

Ok. Thanks. I'll look into the inventory of what you listed.

I'm definitely using 2 3/4" though.

ScrappyDoo
01-17-2012, 14:30
For the record , the Mossberg 930 series of shotguns are all based on the same gun: the M930. It is a 4+1 shotgun. The M930SPX has a factory standard installed Choate Machine and Tool +3 magazine extension. Therefore it becomes capable of 7+1. 8 total.

I for example have i Believe Jerseys own 930SpX cause a PA store sold me one whn I was new and didn't know ; they also either didn't know or didn't care. Immediately I found out I needed to change it ASAP and called Choate , they made me a +1 extension so mine would be 5+1 six total and Jersey legal for an autoloading shotgun.

One thing i can say... Standard with the M930SPX was a little nub follower of cheap metal something or other. Choate hooked me with their hi VIS nylon orange follower , supposedly that reduces -1 a shell but for me I am still5+ 1. Others replacing their follower on stock SPXs have reported losing a shell capacity. AND my fav ammo , Hornady TAP FPD 12 ga 2 3/4" 00 is smaller in size so you can actually gain a shell. Other Ammos I have are longer and I lose capacity.

CDR_Glock
01-18-2012, 22:31
I broke it down, this evening. Played with the spring, ensured that the spring was compressing completely. Put 7 +1 2 3/4" shells in.

Maybe the spring kinked? Who knows? It's good now. 7+1 is better than 5+1 which is all I could put in before. I did think it was 8+1 before I bought it though.

Thanks, Everyone,

iPad/Tapatalk

DFin
01-19-2012, 00:57
I'm glad to see you got it fixed. If you look on youtube you can see how some shooters ghost load the 930 SPX with 9 rounds by having 7 in the mag tube, 1 in the chamber and 1 on the carrier.

I did not realize that the 930 without a mag extension is 4+1. The Mossberg web site says 5+1 for some models of the 930 that do not have an extension. I never tried mine without the extension as I don't have a cap to screw onto the end of the unextended mag tube.

WoodenPlank
01-19-2012, 01:11
I'm glad to see you got it fixed. If you look on youtube you can see how some shooters ghost load the 930 SPX with 9 rounds by having 7 in the mag tube, 1 in the chamber and 1 on the carrier.

I did not realize that the 930 without a mag extension is 4+1. The Mossberg web site says 5+1 for some models of the 930 that do not have an extension. I never tried mine without the extension as I don't have a screw on cap to fit on the end of the unextended mag tube.

The 930 spec chart (http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=10&display=specs) shows a 5 shot capacity overall, making 4+1 correct.

ScrappyDoo
01-19-2012, 08:39
Glad you are doing better now and everyone is happy and good to go.

I also have reluctantly started messing with ghost loading. for all of the first year, to year and a half, (All of 2010 and most of 2011) I just refused to even try it. Because, I really can't wrap my brain around how the mechanics of it will work and therefore how reliable it will be. Although I have a modified M930SPX and mine is dead nuts 100% reliable and runs like the Ram 2500 HD Cummings TurboDiesel, (read: mothertrucking AWESOME), I wouldn't really want to tempt fate and find out, well , it WAS 100% reliable. But you (me) had to go and ghost load it to gain a shell, bad guys chose that time to invade your home, your shotgun jammed, and you and/or loved ones are all dead - all because you had to gain an extra shell. (I know the likelyhood of that happening is nearly nonexistant but hey, sometimes you gotta think like that)... So I find myself sometimes ghost loading and then a while later jacking it out because I just can't trust it 100%. Now this could be the most reliable method in the world, I have no idea, I just can't seem to get perfectly comfortable.

And that's another point i've made time and again and most if not Vast majority of M930SPX owners , on here at least, have said- OTHERWISE, ghost load non withstanding, I am COMPLETELY comfortable with my M930SPX and its deployment to defend my and my loved ones lives. It's not like I own the Pine Bluff Arsenal but I've got a few boom-boom makers to choose from in the defense, and time and again it would be the M930SPX I would grab in case of emergency. I don't know a higher compliment than that- literally, if it was me and my beloved dog in the house and bad guys rattling around outside, my M930SPX is gonna be what I'm defending my best friend with. I can't say I trust a gun any better than that.

One last thing lol: I have no interest in this and its not exactly legal here, but the rest of ya'll righteous mofos can google up Choate's longer magazine tubes. They make some huge extensions for the M930 that extend way past the barrel even. . That real famous Miculek (sp) guy has one on his 930. Not for me but maybe for someone else if interested.

DFin
01-19-2012, 13:15
The 930 spec chart (http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=10&display=specs) shows a 5 shot capacity overall, making 4+1 correct.

I know but if you look at the spec chart for the model 85330 under the 930 Special Purpose section on the Mossberg site it says 5+1 and the photo of that shotgun seems to be a 930 without an extension on the mag tube.

ScrappyDoo
01-19-2012, 14:49
Where are you seeing this, because literally Mossberg.com's 930 Special Purpose section calls the model you specified, the 85330, the "930 Tactical 5 shot".

WoodenPlank
01-19-2012, 16:04
I know but if you look at the spec chart for the model 85330 under the 930 Special Purpose section on the Mossberg site it says 5+1 and the photo of that shotgun seems to be a 930 without an extension on the mag tube.

Yeah, I goofed and looked at the standard 930 chart, not the SPX.

DFin
01-20-2012, 04:54
Where are you seeing this, because literally Mossberg.com's 930 Special Purpose section calls the model you specified, the 85330, the "930 Tactical 5 shot".

On the Mossberg site click the "Firearms" tab. When that menu appars scroll down to "SPECIAL PURPOSE" then down to "930 SPECIAL PURPOSE" located 2nd from the bottom. When that screen appears click on "SPECIFICATIONS" then scroll down to "85330" located 3rd from the bottom. In the 6th column from the left under "CAPACITY" it says 5+1.

CDR_Glock
01-20-2012, 05:39
So if the mag extends beyond the barrel, is there a negative to that? Will it destroy the end of the extender?

iPad/Tapatalk

DFin
01-20-2012, 06:04
I have never tried one. Most people just don't like the looks of an extension that is longer than the muzzle.

ScrappyDoo
01-20-2012, 09:37
DFin I did it your way and see it says 5+1. Now I have no idea what the truth is.

Deployment Solu
01-20-2012, 10:09
It is ugly as hell, but the wad cup doesn't open up until way past the end of the barrel, so it will not damage anything. Slugs will also function fine. It is just un-weildly, but in gaming, where time counts and you won't end up dead if it fails, it is an option.

So if the mag extends beyond the barrel, is there a negative to that? Will it destroy the end of the extender?

iPad/Tapatalk

DFin
01-20-2012, 17:53

Glockwork Orange
01-20-2012, 19:30
My 930 Tactical with +1 Nordic extension gives me 5 +1 or 6+1 if I ghost load it...plenty of rounds to take care of biznatch...

http://i.imgur.com/VmLvs.jpg

ScrappyDoo
01-21-2012, 15:05
DFin, I am quite certain the 930 "in general" is 4+1 , absolutely certain the SPX with Choate +3 installed extension is 7+1. I have "a feeling" the one you list is in fact 4+1 as , if you look at in on their website my way rather than your way, it's actually called "5 shot". but again I admit when you do it your way and look at their 'chart' it says 5+1 ( i believe the only one that says that, no?)

Glockwork, you bought that Nordic yourself, right? I was / am aware of Nordic making mag ext's for the 930 , and they're damn sexay pieces. But for me at least ( and I believe a few if not most of our forum SPX crew) are of the opinion the Nordics are better for sexay Benellis like the Supernova, (Where I am told the +2 Nordic ext. goes perfectly with a Benelli SNT) and Choate's more, how shall i say it, utilitarian appearance and appeal goes with Diesel engine-like Mossberg. Purely opinion . Of course yours looks great with that stand off muzzle device and the Nordic ext.

DFin
01-21-2012, 21:05

Glockwork Orange
01-23-2012, 08:56
Glockwork, you bought that Nordic yourself, right? I was / am aware of Nordic making mag ext's for the 930 , and they're damn sexay pieces. But for me at least ( and I believe a few if not most of our forum SPX crew) are of the opinion the Nordics are better for sexay Benellis like the Supernova, (Where I am told the +2 Nordic ext. goes perfectly with a Benelli SNT) and Choate's more, how shall i say it, utilitarian appearance and appeal goes with Diesel engine-like Mossberg. Purely opinion . Of course yours looks great with that stand off muzzle device and the Nordic ext.

Yep, bought it direct from Nordic...I think the +2 would have been flush with the standoff, so I opted for the +1...the only difference between the Choate and Nordic would be the tighening nut...

DFin
01-23-2012, 17:37

A6Gator
01-23-2012, 18:12
So if the mag extends beyond the barrel, is there a negative to that? Will it destroy the end of the extender?iPad/Tapatalk

Tons of Open class 3 gun shooters have tubes that extend past the end of the muzzle.

bry@n
01-23-2012, 22:17
I just recently sold my 930spx. I had to make it NJ legal to sell it since I left it at my PA residence. I have the factory chaote +3 tube with spring if anybody is interested in it.

I modified mine down to 4+1 and I didn't ghost load as people in here stated already. Personally, I prefer a pump for HD. I don't know why, just preference.