SD/CCW Basic Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SD/CCW Basic Questions

ptmccain
01-14-2012, 05:49
Ladies and gents, first, I apologize for asking these questions, but please be assured that I've spent a lot of time searching and reading articles and frankly...at this point...my head is spinning and if somebody could just talk me through some basic questions with some clear answers, I'd sure appreciate it.

Here are my SD questions.

First, my weapon.

My SD/CC weapon is a Glock 26 with Crimson Trace grip laser mounted. It is a Gen 4 Glock 26.

Ammunition
Very confused at this point about the best ammo to use in it for SD. I know I should use JHP, but....here is where the confusion starts.

+P or +P+ or standard? Which one and why?

Brand? So many choices, is there any consensus?

Grain? Choices again, which one is preferred and why?

Holster
I was assuming that IWB was sort of de rigeour for this kind of thing, but...now left wondering. I've read about other guys using OWB and covering with untucked shirt. In my situation I would be mostly, mainly wearing shirts that have to be tucked in and usually no jacket or coat. Suggestions? Thoughts?

Thank you for your advice.

Mas Ayoob
01-14-2012, 06:39
pt, books have been written about both topics (and still not ended debate:supergrin:), so I can't give a totally comprehensive answer in the short space allowed in GATE.

Best I can offer is:

AMMUNITION:
Definitely JHP. I'm partial to 124 grain +P and 127 grain +P+, both at nominal 1250 fps velocity. However, 147 through 115 grain (I personally prefer +P+ in the latter) can get you through the night. If you use 147 grain subsonic, it's imperative to use one of the high tech bullets (Gold Dot, HST, Ranger-T, or Golden Saber) designed to open at lower velocities.

HOLSTERS:
Since you prefer tucked in shirts with no covering outer garment, best bet for you seems to be a belly band or a tuckable worn with the gun behind the hip on the strong side.

Best,
Mas