Thoughts on the SR9 and SR40 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the SR9 and SR40

win
01-14-2012, 14:40
What are you thought on the Ruger SR9/40 pistols? and the compact models?
They look like a alot of gun for the money, but I have not held one or shot one.

USDefender
01-14-2012, 14:52
They look like a alot of gun for the money, but I have not held one or shot one.

They probably are 'a lot of gun for the money' and I wouldn't hesitate on buying one if I came across a good deal... Don't let the 'Ruger haters' put you off--from what I've read and seen, looks like Sturm, Ruger & Co. has worked out whatever 'kinks' might've existed in the 'SR series' early on...

M2 Carbine
01-14-2012, 14:56
The trigger on the 9mm SR9C sold me.
I've put a lot of ammo through it. Good gun.

I like the gun so much I'm thinking about buying a spare.
I could use another 40S&W, so I'm thinking about getting the next SRC in 40.

The only thing I have against Rugers is the magazines are too costly.

glock2740
01-14-2012, 15:35
Nice guns. I have a buddy with the 2 tone 9 and another with the 40.

ceverhart
01-14-2012, 15:37
I really like my sr9c..... only have about 200 rds thru it so far with no failures.

itstime
01-14-2012, 15:59
I love my 9c. Great gum for the money.

Schrag4
01-14-2012, 16:17
Count me in as another who thinks it's a good gun for the money. My SR9c has been reliable and I love the trigger - I shoot it pretty well. I admit that it isn't built with the same quality as a $500 gun, but you can probably find one slightly used for $350 or perhaps even less.

Definitely get your hands on one first - it might not be for you. The recoil spring is very stiff on the SR9c compared to other auto's I've used, but my wife can operate it so it's not that bad, it just takes a little getting used to.

One more thing - if you end up with one, you will probably be bitten at least twice - once when you slam home a mag and your palm gets pinched between the relatively short grip and the 17 round mag adapter sleeve, and once when you rack the slide and run your fingertips and/or palm over the frame-mounted safety (that thing is small and a little sharp). The pain will help you learn to avoid doing it again through :tongueout:

win
01-14-2012, 16:44
Is their stainless good quality or is the black the better way to go?

Taphius
01-14-2012, 16:45
good little guns with good ergos, and can be had for under $400. So great values

kahrcarrier
01-14-2012, 17:06
My SR9c is a great little shooter. And a good little carry piece.

I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone............ In my opinion, they are worth more than what you will pay for one.

But, like M2 has pointed out, extra mags are not bargain priced.

kahrcarrier
01-14-2012, 17:10
Is their stainless good quality or is the black the better way to go?

I only have experience with the stainless version. No problems with it so far.......

win
01-14-2012, 17:26
Is the safety easy to use? It looks pretty far back on the frame.

MinnesnowtaWild
01-14-2012, 18:01
I absolutely love my SR9c. The safety was a concern of mine at first but it's a very positive engagement and it is easy to sweep up and down for me without moving my grip at all.

The trigger is outstanding, the adjustable sights are great, it shoots awesome, and it just works.

But yeah if you're a magazine hoarder and/or you need a lot of accessories and stuff then this gun will disappoint you.

Here is a review I made of my SR9c (no, I am not Michael Jackson):
Ruger SR9c Review - YouTube

And a video comparing G26 gen4 to SR9c:
Ruger SR9c & Glock 26 Comparison - YouTube

bac1023
01-14-2012, 18:19
I like them. The trigger isn't the best, but works OK.

G19ftw
01-14-2012, 19:14
I had an SR9 with an awful, and I mean awful trigger. I tried everything to fix it. I ended up just selling it at a loss, and I don't miss it one bit.

bogeypro
01-14-2012, 19:55
I can't say enough good things about my SR9c. I sold my 9mm colt new agent for one and I do not regret it one bit. I like the SR9c better than the full size SR9 -l the trigger is better, recoil seems better to me (maybe the dual spring?), it is easier to conceal, and holds both magazines.

triggerjerk
01-14-2012, 20:09
I shot a brand new SR9 today.
My buddy got it for xmas.

I'm sorry but imho, compared to a glock, it is a major pos.
The one I shot had several fail to extract malfunctions. Fired cartridges
would not be extracted from the chamber. Sometimes the gun would double feed.
The gun shot several inches high at 10yds also.
The trigger is beyond terrible. Several times it would not reset and you can
feel a hitch in it as it cocks.
Grip is great however.

Feel free to flame away but I would never touch one.

MinnesnowtaWild
01-14-2012, 20:32
Did you buddy bother to clean the gun before he shot it? That makes a huge difference. Also cleaning the striker channel is a must.

The SR9 and SR9c are two different guns. The SR9c is a much better gun...I see no reason to buy a full size SR but I do really think the SR9c will continue to be a great, popular gun.

MinnesnowtaWild
01-14-2012, 20:33
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w37/94coupeV6/P1010430.jpg

triggerjerk
01-14-2012, 20:50
Did you buddy bother to clean the gun before he shot it? That makes a huge difference. Also cleaning the striker channel is a must.

The SR9 and SR9c are two different guns. The SR9c is a much better gun...I see no reason to buy a full size SR but I do really think the SR9c will continue to be a great, popular gun.

Don't think so but the gun was clean out of the box.

frank_drebin
01-14-2012, 21:04
My SR40 is a lot of fun to shoot. I like the trigger and it feels very thin compared to my G23.

G19ftw
01-14-2012, 21:12
I shot a brand new SR9 today.
My buddy got it for xmas.

I'm sorry but imho, compared to a glock, it is a major pos.
The one I shot had several fail to extract malfunctions. Fired cartridges
would not be extracted from the chamber. Sometimes the gun would double feed.
The gun shot several inches high at 10yds also.
The trigger is beyond terrible. Several times it would not reset and you can
feel a hitch in it as it cocks.
Grip is great however.

Feel free to flame away but I would never touch one.

I agree with you 100%.

chrisf608
01-14-2012, 21:21

I love my SR9 Trigger is great with a ghost connector. Very very accurate. I have shot well over 1000rnds through it never a problem.

ESI Agent
01-14-2012, 21:26
Have the SR9,SR40,and the SR9c. All have been 100%. Sold my Glock 26 when I got my SR9c. Sold my jam-o-matic Glock 17 and got the SR9 and have been very happy with it. I hope my new G17 works better then my last one. :supergrin:

DoubleWide
01-15-2012, 04:12
Horrible trigger on the SR9. I've heard the compacts have better triggers, but I still haven't gotten my hands on one.

M2 Carbine
01-15-2012, 08:25
I understand the early SR9 had a bad trigger but has been corrected.
The C model has a very good trigger.

I shot my C model a few times last week. I hadn't shot it in a few weeks, while shooting other guns.
The first shot with the SR9C surprised me. I forgot how easy that trigger is.

sharp
01-15-2012, 10:23
Horrible trigger on the SR9. I've heard the compacts have better triggers, but I still haven't gotten my hands on one.

Don't they have the same trigger?

TX expat
01-15-2012, 10:40
I have quite a few rounds through my SR9c and I really enjoy shooting it. It's a great compact 9mm. Good sights. Good trigger. Great cost to own. I don't really have anything bad to say about it.

gen2tegboi
01-24-2012, 20:05
reviving thread. I am picking up my sr9c Thursday, since I had to send my jam-o-matic g17 gen4 back to the doctor for erratic ejections. This is great news to hear about my selection. two tone looks nice. I heard great things about the new sr series.

SSNimrod
01-24-2012, 20:29
Love my SR 9C. Great carry, shoots better than my G19

bdcremer
01-24-2012, 20:32
I have shot a SR40 but do not own one. It is a good feeling gun with relatively less muzzle flip because of the low bore axis. If you don't like the trigger, Ghost Products makes a better connector for it. Overall I liked the way it shot.

CBennett
01-24-2012, 20:37

They are a good gun in a large sea now days of good guns. I consider mine EASILY as good as my Glock 23 was(that BTW I traded in to get the Ruger SR9c). one thing it has going is its more ergonomic for many(the biggest thing I hear about from guys that dont like Glocks is the grip/feel in hand) I also KNOW its THINNER than the Glock,XD,or M&P. The SR9c is my new CC gun that replaced a Glock 23 I didnt like the grips on..Things I like

1. Grips
2. Thinness
3. Accuracy( fully adjustable sights)
4. Trigger was just as good as my Glocks out of the box
5. I like its fully ambidextrous both sides have the safety and both sides have the mag release.
6. PRICE!

Shocker73
01-24-2012, 20:41
Hickok45 gave both the SR9c & SR40c very good reviews but we all know his pistol of choice...:whistling:

CBennett
01-24-2012, 20:46

This is both correct and incorrect. The OLDER models SR9(full size) DID have bad triggers they just were not that great..When the NEW Ruger SR9c came out they took customers opinions into account and worked on the trigger..the trigger on the SR9c is MUCH better. I used a friends trigger pull gauge on it and it broke at 5.5 lbs out of the box. its a bit better now...maybe just smoother but very good...the trigger is NOT able to be retrofitted BUT since the time the Ruger SR9c came out ALL the Rugers have that better trigger. the SR9's,sr9C's and im assuming the 40's(they are the only ones i have no work with)...but if you have a OLDER model SR9 the trigger isnt good and only the aftermarket can help it.

CBennett
01-24-2012, 20:48
Don't they have the same trigger?

Absolutely NOT. When the SR9c came out they totally redesigned the trigger(its not retrofitable) and since the time the SR9c came out the entire line has the GOOD trigger...BUT if you have a older SR9 that came out B4 the SR9c came out then you have the..well junky trigger lol...

Falkov
02-15-2012, 18:07
I really like my SR9C which I bought on an impulse. Sold my G26 then G23 gen 4 which I thought was a really nice shooting piece, afterward. Now, I probably will get another SR40 or SR40C.

TxGlock9
02-16-2012, 01:24
My only experience with the SR9 was a stainless my friend has.. I didn't like the ergonomics and the trigger was very long and heavy. I personally would pass.

Falkov
02-16-2012, 17:58
Well, I end up getting another SR9C- really want a SR40C but no one else has it, and I don't want to stock another caliber. So, two SR9C pistols: one in Stainless finish and one in black finish.

To tell you the truth, the more I play w/ my Ruger pistol, the more I like it. Ruger Co. makes good products. Their GP100 w/ 6" barrel and KGP 100 w/ 4" barrel never seem to amaze me. I am not a pistol person and it's difficult to get me excited owning pistol. Which is why through out the years I have bought and sold quite a bit of pistols: Walther P99, CZ75B, XD40sc, Colt 1911/1991, and most Glock model from 17-35. I am actually more confident CC my SR the most. The trigger is way better than any Glock pistol I have ever owned, and it shot to the point of aim- even w/ G24 and 35 I felt like I wasn't connected w/ the pistols at all.

Feanor
02-16-2012, 22:35
Don't let the 'Ruger haters' put you off

This is so immature, and so typical of this forum, you're a "hater" if you happen to have a criticism of a certain mechanism! Honestly, I think that the vast majority of the folks who feel that "you're a hater" have little, if any practical experience to pass along to anyone about the "hated" mechanism in question!

As for the OP, for punching paper they(SR9/40)are as good as anything else, home protection? You'll have to decide that for yourself by properly vetting the thing. The rule of thumb I rely upon in makin g such a decision is 1,000 consecutive rounds through the pistol without failure! Aside from that you might find it of interest to discover that in the professional world, the Ruger brand is not very highly thought of, this is reflected in how many LE contracts that Ruger has earned with the SR9/40 line of pistols, which is to say, next to none!

Now is this "hate?" No, it's just the truth, something that a lot of folks don't like to hear from very often!

Falkov
02-16-2012, 22:56
Aside from that you might find it of interest to discover that in the professional world, the " Ruger brand" is not very highly thought of

I am really wondering why, though. I know their revolvers, shotguns, rimfires are up there in quality and recongnition, but their semi-auto pistols mainly "P" series (don't know about SR since it is still new) are so-so. Lack of refinement? -maybe?

Also, how did you come to a conclusion " that in the professional world , the Ruger brand is not very highly thought of "? Based upon what evidence? If all or most LEO carries AR, does that mean AK suck? afterall in the US- AK is typically thought of as terrorist/ freedom fighters' choice of weapon and "no" department will allow their officers to carry it. Can you imagine seeing LEO on TV carrying AK w/ banana clips?

work2ride
02-16-2012, 23:14
I just sold my SR9c, it was about 3 months old. I really liked it until 3 parts in the trigger assembly crapped out after only 300 rounds fired through it. I bought it to replace an LC9 I bought new that was having major problems too. I'm pretty unhappy with Ruger at this point, i've owned several of their guns over the years and still have a couple. I just don't think I will be buying anything new from them for a while if ever again. I just ordered a G26 to fill the void of the SR9c.

Falkov
02-16-2012, 23:35
Did you contact Ruger about the failing trigger parts? Anything I need to watch out for? - now that I have two SR9C.

BTW, I have the opposite experience but w/ a (problematic) Glock21SF which Glock replaced w/ a brand new one two weeks ago- so much for Glock perfection! I don't even feel like shooting G21SF anymore. Knowing that, I certainly wouldn't place a complete faith in anyone brand/ company- after all every mechanical part will fail eventually.

Feanor
02-16-2012, 23:54
Did you contact Ruger about the failing trigger parts? Anything I need to watch out for? - now that I have two SR9C.

BTW, I have the opposite experience but w/ a (problematic) Glock21SF which Glock replaced w/ a brand new one two weeks ago- so much for Glock perfection! I don't even feel like shooting G21SF anymore. Knowing that, I certainly wouldn't place a complete faith in anyone brand/ company- after all every mechanical part will fail eventually.

Of all the Glock pistols to choose from, the 21's are the one model that I would classify as "spooky!" There are more then a few LE bulletins in circulation pertaining to G21 failures!

MinnesnowtaWild
02-17-2012, 00:08
The SR9c is a great weapon and don't let anyone tell you otherwise because they probably have no experience with one. Yeah, some Rugers have problems but unlike Glock they admit to them and make them right. Can't say that for Glock.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w37/94coupeV6/P1010437-1.jpg

Only on Glock Talk would people think because cops don't carry a certain guns mean they're not up to par. Laughable.

Falkov
02-17-2012, 00:31
Interesting info I found which makes me feel even better. Not bad for a small US company competing against much bigger companies w/ unlimited marketing budget like HK,FN,Glock,etc....

Ruger® SR9c™ Named 2010 "Handgun of the Year"
July 28, 2010
Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR), is proud to announce that a Ruger® handgun has been named the Shooting Industry Academy of Excellence "Handgun of the Year" for the third straight year. The Ruger SR9c™, the first line extension in the SR9® striker-fired pistol, is the compact version of one of the slimmest and most ergonomic 9mm pistols on the market today.

"Ruger is honored to receive this award for the third year in a row," said Ruger President and CEO Mike Fifer. "We are gratified that Ruger's innovation and excellence in product design has once again been recognized by members of the firearms community." The SR9c compact pistol gives customers a very comfortable carry option in a reliable, 9mm platform. Incorporating the best features of the full-sized SR9, the SR9c offers an even smaller, more concealable option, ideal for discreet carry. "The SR9c reflects our commitment to provide consumers with affordable, quality products that meet their needs," Fifer said.

The award was presented during the 8th Annual Shooting Industry Masters in Grand Island, Nebraska on July 23rd. The Academy, a 500-member group consisting of manufacturers, editors, writers, distributors and retailers from within the shooting industry, votes to honor outstanding achievements in product design and service to the industry.

The SR9c compact pistol weighs 24 oz. and features an overall length of 6.875", a height of 5.00", and the same slim 1.27" grip width as the full-sized SR9. It comes with two magazines that provide options in both capacity and grip size. The standard magazine holds 10 rounds and features a flat bottom butt plate; a finger grip extension floor plate also is included. The second magazine features a grip adapter and holds 17 rounds, instantly transforming the smaller, compact grip into a full-sized 9mm grip. The 3.50" barreled pistol features an integral accessory rail that accommodates most lights and lasers.

The Ruger SR9c compact pistol utilizes the same adjustable, high-visibility 3-Dot sight system as its full-sized predecessor, setting it apart from many compact pistols that offer only fixed sights. New serrations are located on the front portion of the slide, making it easier to both manipulate the slide and to press check the chamber. The SR9c features a glass-filled nylon frame and through-hardened slide in either a brushed stainless or blackened finish. It also is available with two, 10 round magazines for those states or locales that limit magazine capacity.

Just like the original, full-sized SR9, the SR9c is loaded with modern safety features like a 1911-style ambidextrous manual safety, internal trigger bar interlock and striker blocker, trigger safety, magazine disconnect, plus a visual and tactile loaded chamber indicator.

silentpoet
02-17-2012, 02:49
When i looked at them the trigger was awful. It may have changed, but i think there are too many other options with a proven track record. With so many good choices why ruger. If it for budget reasons buy a used glock.

MinnesnowtaWild
02-17-2012, 03:27
Hmmm the SR9 trigger must be a lot different from the SR9c trigger. My SR9c and Glock 26 triggers are extremely similar, almost identical except the SR9c is more crisp.

work2ride
02-17-2012, 11:31

I contacted Ruger after I got the SR9c back because all that was on my work order was ''replaced three parts in trigger assembly''. I wanted to know what actually was wrong but the lady I spoke with couldn't tell me anything other than what I saw on the work order. As much as I like the gun I just couldn't trust it any longer especially with it being the second Ruger in a row I was planning on concealed carrying. I saw your Glock problem and i'm hoping my G26 works correctly. I understand everything has the potential to have problems but in the first 300 rounds with 2 guns from the same manufacturer is unacceptable to me. I really loved the way the SR9c felt in my hands and I thought I had found my new favorite pistol. Until my G26 gets here i'm carrying my Ruger LCR .38 so I don't hate Ruger, I just don't trust their semi-auto pistols very much. I hope you have good luck with them as I hope I have good luck with my Glock.

Maine
02-17-2012, 11:58
I've shot a friends SR9 a number of times and find it enjoyable and accurate. The only bad I can say about it is that the mags rusted after him having 6 months or so. could have been improper storage I don't know.

Falkov
02-17-2012, 12:08
Good thing you got to talk to someone at Ruger, no one at Glock even bothered to call or e-mail me about the problem I had. Of course, I am happy to get a brand new G21SF but there was no communication from them whatsoever. The sad part is, as a long time Glock pistol owner: G17 1gen, (2) G19 2/3 gen, G23 4gen, G24 2gen, (2)G26 2/3 gen, (2) G27 2/3 gen, (3) G30 1/2/3 gen, G35 3gen, I start to see more problem w/ Glock pistols past several years and really put a doubt in "Glock perfection".

At the same time Glock is not doing anything to officially let the user know of the problem which I , or anyone else for that matter, had to experience first hand w/ the G21SF- either on their website or anywhere else. When the problem w/ my 2 years old G21SF became obvious, I thought it was just a bad luck- I thought it was "me"! , until I started doing more research on internet- afterward I called Glock CS the next day and packed it up for overnight shipping- and their CS was reluctant to even issue me a call tag, until I started to mention that my dealing w/ Ruger co. was much more pleasant. The Glock CS even said to me- "just this one time". This is where I lost interest in owning Glock. Glock pistol is fine- but it's not a "perfection" like user/shooter has been led to believe- I can't believe I said this! And, the way they handle problems sometimes- hmm, what are they thinking!