Les Baer SRP finish? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Les Baer SRP finish?

B_RAD
01-14-2012, 16:31
I've been on the phone a lot over the last three days trying to find a new 1911 from one of the "big three" (Wilson, Brown, Baer). Since, it seems that all three make equally great guns I've got a lot of models in mind. Anyways, I've been told by two different reputable dealers that the finish used on these guns is anything but great. I'm wondering if anyone has one and can tell me what they think? Or if anyone has heard the same thing?

Thanks,

B_RAD

glock2740
01-14-2012, 16:38
I own Wilson and Baer guns. I'm not a fan of Baers blued finishes. Don't know who does their hardchrome, but it looks pretty good. Wilson's Armor Tuff is a pretty good finish. I don't own a Brown...yet :cool:, so I can only go off what I hear and read from people that do. From what I understand, DW's "Duty Kote", is basically the same as Hard Hat and I know that my 2 DW 1911's with the Duty finish are tough as nails. Wear marks on a carry gun just give a gun character, until you decide you want to refinish it. :cool:

B_RAD
01-14-2012, 17:03
So many choices!

R0CKETMAN
01-14-2012, 17:13
So get one in HC. I've heard the same as your on the BC finish. If I were you I'd get say a CC with the mods you want in blue. Ring it out, decide on a few changes if any, then black T or Ionbond it.

Carrots
01-14-2012, 23:29
"Bear Coat" (the old SRP finish) is supposed to be a lot better than the new "Du point S" replacement. Both are black polymer finishes - great against rust, average against holster wear.

dakrat
01-15-2012, 07:34
I have 2 blued Baers. the finish is great and even. not sure what the speculation is all about.

Officer's Match
01-15-2012, 08:54
I've owned two Bear Coated (older style) and one blued in Les Baers. I had one Wilson Combat in Armor Tuff. Armor Tuff did better in holster wear (appeared harder) and Bear Coat was easier to clean and more "self lubricating". Of the ones I've mentioned, blued was my favorite. Next Baer would be blued or hard chromed.

bac1023
01-15-2012, 09:25
The SRP does not come blued.

Its either hard chrome or Du Pont.

The hard chrome finish on mine is excellent. :cool:

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/000_0004-6.jpg

B_RAD
01-15-2012, 10:03
The SRP does not come blued.

Its either hard chrome or Du Pont.

The hard chrome finish on mine is excellent. :cool:

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/000_0004-6.jpg

I apologize for the confusion. I was asking about the new DuPont S coating.

bac1023
01-15-2012, 10:14
I apologize for the confusion. I was asking about the new DuPont S coating.

I have no personal experience with the Du Pont coating.

Just go with HC. I believe its the same price.

B_RAD
01-15-2012, 11:51
I have no personal experience with the Du Pont coating.

Just go with HC. I believe its the same price.

It doesn't get any better looking than the hard chrome! I may change my mind and get one in HC? This place is gonna be the death to my bank account!

bac1023
01-15-2012, 12:43
It doesn't get any better looking than the hard chrome! I may change my mind and get one in HC? This place is gonna be the death to my bank account!

:animlol:

Yeah, it can get expensive in here. ;)

RetailNinja
01-15-2012, 12:50
Anyways, I've been told by two different reputable dealers that the finish used on these guns is anything but great.

The new Dupont S finish is weak according to the internet.

My Bearcoat is good to go. I HIGHLY recommend it if you can find a gun with it. Nowadays there seems to be better finishes out there. Hard Hat looks great.

glock2740
01-15-2012, 13:00
It doesn't get any better looking than the hard chrome!
Amen Brother. :cool:

glock2740
01-15-2012, 13:01

Yeah, it can get expensive in here. ;)
Thanks to you, you evil bastard. :tongueout:

:rofl:

And Dave isn't any better for my bank account either. :)

B_RAD
01-15-2012, 13:20

Well, someone is going to be getting about $2500 of my money first thing in the morning. Just have to decide on one of three I'm thinking of.

GC No Name
Les Baer TRS 1.5
Ed Brown Molon Labe

In that order.

glock2740
01-15-2012, 13:31
Well, someone is going to be getting about $2500 of my money first thing in the morning. Just have to decide on one of three I'm thinking of.

GC No Name
Les Baer TRS 1.5
Ed Brown Molon Labe

In that order.
Very tough choice. I own the No Name and am having difficulty in making my mind up on an EB form CJ or the 1.5 TRS in HC that I've talked to him about. You won't go wrong with either of those three for sure. :cool:

bac1023
01-15-2012, 15:39

bac1023
01-15-2012, 15:40

GC No Name
Les Baer TRS 1.5
Ed Brown Molon Labe

In that order.

I think you have the order correct, but all three are good choices.

B_RAD
01-15-2012, 16:30
I think you have the order correct, but all three are good choices.

The GI and the EB are the same price. The LB is about $400 less. That's hanging me up. I feel that I'll get a better finish with the GI and the EB but I just got to decide if that's worth that much more$.

The NN and ML have the same sights (or very similar) and I like these better since this gun is primarily for SD/HD but the Novak style on the LB are great sights too.

decisions..... decisions........

Officer's Match
01-15-2012, 19:46
I'm personally much more impressed with the hand filed build of the Les Baer. I'd personally go with a UTC in naked slide and with 20lpi frontstrap and serrated slide rear.

ETA, disclaimer is I've owned several Baers, Browns, but no GCNN's, so I can't speak to their vary favorably reviewed pistols.

B_RAD
01-15-2012, 20:35
I'm personally much more impressed with the hand filed build of the Les Baer. I'd personally go with a UTC in naked slide and with 20lpi frontstrap and serrated slide rear.

ETA, disclaimer is I've owned several Baers, Browns, but no GCNN's, so I can't speak to their vary favorably reviewed pistols.

I've been reading a little and from what I can tell the UTC, CC, and the TRS are basically the same gun. From what I can tell is the UTC and the TRS are the same - the TRS logo. The CC has a different trigger and no tritium inserts in the rear sight. As of now I'm going with either the UTC or CC. It depends on the cheapest price of the two with the 1.5". I like the blued finish even though it's not as durable as some of the others.

bac1023
01-15-2012, 21:12

I think GC may be the best out of those three builders.

glock2740
01-15-2012, 21:13
I think GC may be the best out of those three builders.
Ditto. :cool:

Officer's Match
01-15-2012, 21:59
I've been reading a little and from what I can tell the UTC, CC, and the TRS are basically the same gun. From what I can tell is the UTC and the TRS are the same - the TRS logo. The CC has a different trigger and no tritium inserts in the rear sight. As of now I'm going with either the UTC or CC. It depends on the cheapest price of the two with the 1.5". I like the blued finish even though it's not as durable as some of the others.

My preference for the UTC over the TRS is because I would do the naked slide and the TRS cannot be had with 20lpi FS.

B_RAD
01-15-2012, 22:08
My preference for the UTC over the TRS is because I would do the naked slide and the TRS cannot be had with 20lpi FS.

I'm not going to order so unless I can find one with naked slide and 25 lpi, I will be getting one with standard options. The wait times are crazy!