Opinions on the Smith and Wesson 442 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Smith and Wesson 442

grmnracing
01-15-2012, 08:09
Ive been looking at J-frames. I like the 442. Any of you guys have one? How do the hold up? Are you satisfied with it?

NVSeabee
01-15-2012, 08:20
That one is a keeper. I've owned all kinds of guns over the years but I won't sell that one. It is such a handy size and weight that there is no excuse not to have a gun on you. Remember rule #1 of a gunfight is have a gun.
It is not the hammer of Thor but it beats the 1911, G19 or whatever that you left at home.

After some back problems that made it very painful to carry my normal EDC the 442 in a jacket pocket was comforting to have along.

Being an old revolver guy I can't imagine not having a snub in the arsenal.

barth
01-15-2012, 08:28
Get the new no lock version - IMHO.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=70712
I have an out of production 342 ti that I carry more than anything.
Advances in ammo technology has given these little pocket pistols new life.

Check out Speer's new Short Barrel 38 +P from a snub nose.
FBI Protocol Test Results:
http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/bullet_tests.htm

Also, Sight Technology:
XS Sight Systems 24/7 Big Dot Tritium Sight S&W J-Frame
http://www.georgiagunstore.com/part_images/XSSSW-0020N-3_1.jpg

WiskyT
01-15-2012, 08:44
Mine wore out, SW replaced it. I shot several thousand rounds through it. I replaced it with an eight shot 9mm J frame, the LC9. The 442 is a good gun and SW backs it up well.

Mine shot high and left with any ammo through it. It was not enough to matter at 15 yards, but I had to use Kentucky windage to keep it on a paper plate at 25 yards. It would ring the 14" gong at the 70 yard line no problem unitl the frame loosened up. I had to hold on the 5 o'clock edge of the gong to hit it at 70 yards.

The LC9 hits to point of aim out to 70 yards and is easier to shoot at distance. It will probably wear out at some point too and I expect Ruger will make good on it. We'll find out in a few years.

None of the above issues matter for most 442 owners since they are typically shot at 10 yards and very little. They carry real well, maybe a tiny bit better than the LC9.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-15-2012, 08:51
Ive been looking at J-frames. I like the 442. Any of you guys have one? How do the hold up? Are you satisfied with it?

The blue version of the 642 I have, great gun. Is it a lock or no lock version. I know there are still new no-lock versions of the 642 available.

Seems to be that people are either love em or hate em with a snubbie.

The haters think the recoil is too much, the sight radius too short to align, the double action trigger pull too hard, the capacity too low, the reloads too slow, and the cylinder too wide.

While that hater view is partially based on truth, they exaggerate the negatives and ignore the positives, all the while trying to compare to larger semi-autos.

The positives are that the snubbie is a small light concealed carry gun that is reliable, has enough power, enough rounds for a typical encounter, can be reloaded quickly enough, can be shot accurately enough, is not sensitive to grip, can be fired inside pockets, won't snag (642, 442, LCR, etc), and has a simple easy to understand operation. And the cylinder is not very wide, and it conceals very well.

Also, the haters tend to over estimate the size of a snubbie, and keep comparing them to much larger semi-autos, instead of the smaller semi-autos. The weights need to be of both guns fully loaded, not forgetting to include the weight of a mag and multiple rounds. And width measurements need to be compared at multiple points, not just one widest part, but for example the entire length of a slide versus a thinner revolver barrel and thinness of "hammerless" above the cylinder. The rounded shape of the top line of a snubbie has definite concealed carry advantages compared to the straight, long, wide top line of an auto's slide. The j frame 15 ounce snubbie is comparable in size and weight to a Kahr PM9, and is in my opinion easier to conceal than the PM9 when carrying IWB because of the top line comparison of the 2 guns and how they print or don't print.

4 glocks
01-15-2012, 08:52
The 442 is a great revolver. If you have issues S&W will make it right.
Some people say the Ruger LCR has a better trigger. If you want a small pocket gun I would look at the Ruger LCP. The 442 is a classic and you can not go wrong with one.

fran m
01-15-2012, 09:03
I have the 642, same gun but in silver. It is a gun you can have with you all of the time with little inconvenience. Get the gun, a few speed loaders or speed strips and some different holsters and you will be good to go. Practice with it. They are harder to shoot the a full size duty gun, be it a revolver or semi auto.

Once in awhile a poster will ask advice on carry very full size guns such as Sig P220, G21s. Don't know whether they do carry them in the long term but with a J frame snub gun you can nearly always have it on you.

DeSantis is making a grip that has a lip on them for holsterless inside the pants carry. It seems to be an improvement over the Birami(SP?) Hip grip. Anybody using these?

MLittle
01-15-2012, 09:08
I have the Ruger LCR in 38+P and a Smith 642 no lock. Love them both. Sure, the trigger is better on the Ruger, but when you hold the Smith......you're holding a little bit of history. Some say you can't shoot these small revolvers accurately at distance. Last week I shot 20 rounds through my LCR at 25 yards and put them ALL on a dinner plate sized target. Not bragging, just wanted to illustrate that they can be shot well at nearly any distance with a little practice.

JuneyBooney
01-15-2012, 09:10
That one is a keeper. I've owned all kinds of guns over the years but I won't sell that one. It is such a handy size and weight that there is no excuse not to have a gun on you. Remember rule #1 of a gunfight is have a gun.
It is not the hammer of Thor but it beats the 1911, G19 or whatever that you left at home.

After some back problems that made it very painful to carry my normal EDC the 442 in a jacket pocket was comforting to have along.

Being an old revolver guy I can't imagine not having a snub in the arsenal.

I agree. They are very good for carrying a lot and shooting a little. They are not the most accurate for longer than 21 feet though but anything longer than that and you would be in a world of hurt on court for a defensive shooting.

collim1
01-15-2012, 09:12
I got one on my ankle now. I carry it everyday as a BUG, and occasionally pocket carry it as a primary. I bought mine in 2004 and have shot around 1k rounds through it with no issues.

It is a great discreet carry gun and the centennial frame is perfect for pocket carry.

Dogbite
01-15-2012, 09:18
The 442 is great. I carried a J-frame for years, with no problems. Enter the LCR. I personally would choose the LCR over the J-frame now. It is feather light, and has a truly incredible factory trigger, its a total winner.

adamg01
01-15-2012, 09:52
They are great "get off me" guns but not so fun at the range. I have owned a couple over the years and my wife still carries one.

grmnracing
01-15-2012, 09:55
Thanks guys. Im not new to firearms however this will be my first revolver. Why do a lot of people not want the locking revolver. I would never use a lock but what's the drawback to one?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Smashy
01-15-2012, 10:05
My 642 (same gun, different finish) is my daily pocket gun. I never leave the house without it. Sometimes I carry a Glock, but the 642 is still in my pocket.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc22/russ5288/IMG_5300.jpg

4 glocks
01-15-2012, 10:06
Thanks guys. Im not new to firearms however this will be my first revolver. Why do a lot of people not want the locking revolver. I would never use a lock but what's the drawback to one?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Some people think it will lock the gun when they do not want it to.
Internet rumor without real proof.

HexHead
01-15-2012, 10:18

That, and it being a constant reminder of how S&W acquiesced to the Clinton Administration.

I had one. Disliked shooting it and ended up trading it when I realized I was pocket carrying other pistols far more. I replaced it with a Colt Detective Special which I like a lot more. But it's in too nice shape to carry regularly.
I'm starting to get the jones for another pocket revolver, and I'd consider another one, unless I find the right Colt. I far prefer Colt revolvers to any of the others makes.

If it oesnt have a pony, it's a phony.

RioKid
01-15-2012, 10:30
I bought my wife one for Christmas. Later that same day I read on here in another thread that they are not a good for an inexperienced shooter. She hasn't shot it yet and if she has difficulty with it I will have me a bug and will find her something else for cc.:supergrin:

ithaca_deerslayer
01-15-2012, 10:47
I bought my wife one for Christmas. Later that same day I read on here in another thread that they are not a good for an inexperienced shooter. She hasn't shot it yet and if she has difficulty with it I will have me a bug and will find her something else for cc.:supergrin:

Get some 148gr wadcutters for her first try. Doesn't matter the brand, but do not settle for any other load to start with.

Does she have any shooting experience? If not, then of course start on a 22 or fullsize 38 or 9 before progressing to the small carry gun.

My 2 cents :)

ChicagoZman
01-15-2012, 10:48
They are great guns but difficult for first-timers to learn to use due to the small grip, short sight radius and increased felt recoil.

WiskyT
01-15-2012, 10:57

I'd get her shooting with a 22rf, even a 22 rifle with iron sights. Even just 50 rounds, to let her get the basics of sight alignment and trigger control. If she's already done that, then let her shoot one cylinder with 148 wadcutters or 125 grain lead cowboy action loads. Close range, big target, and the only expectation being that she doesn't put the gun down and swear off shooting ever again.

You'd be surprised at how well ladies shoot even when inexperienced. There is a very good chance she will make decent groups on a big target at 7 yards or less and that is pretty much why you got it for her. She might want to shoot 100 rounds right then and there, but likely 25 rounds or so will be enough before her arms get tired and she just generally decides she's had enough. 25-50 rounds a couple of times a month is better than 100 rounds once a year because it's too much and you then have to "drag" her to the range.

My wife will shoot 25 rounds out of her P32, then 50 rounds out of a Buckmark, and usually I can talk her into one mag out of my LC9. That's all she's interested in and then we go out for dinner.

Disregard this advise if she has a big smile and gets mad when the ammo runs out. I've seen that too.

fxstchewy
01-15-2012, 15:00
I have a 642 and a 442, great guns, 442 goes with me when i can't carry the G26.

Faulkner
01-15-2012, 15:20
I have the moon clip version. For some unknown reason to me, the version that has the cylinder cut for moon clips also does not not have the lock. Suits me, I wanted it cut for moon clips and I don't particularly care for the lock and the 5 round moon clips makes loading so much quicker.

I really like mine and it has become my primary off duty concealed carry handgun.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL488/1124764/2120947/393510879.jpg

writwing
01-15-2012, 16:07

Get an LCR. Better trigger and you have a number of choices for the front sight.

writwing
01-15-2012, 16:09

Sorry but here is plenty of proof out there. :upeyes:

GOCANES
01-15-2012, 16:17
I am going to open a can of worms here...I too am looking at a snub revolver. Everything I have seen tends to steer me more toward the Ruger SP101 DAO version. Anyone want to chime in their thoughts (not wanting to hijack the thread just that there are plenty of SW owners out here who might give me some additional insight). Thanks

4 glocks
01-15-2012, 16:21
Sorry but here is plenty of proof out there. :upeyes:

Ok I am willing to listen.

Islander1
01-15-2012, 16:29
I've carried my 442 for years. They are great carry guns.

4 glocks
01-15-2012, 16:31
I am going to open a can of worms here...I too am looking at a snub revolver. Everything I have seen tends to steer me more toward the Ruger SP101 DAO version. Anyone want to chime in their thoughts (not wanting to hijack the thread just that there are plenty of SW owners out here who might give me some additional insight). Thanks

The SP101 is a great revolver. They are all steel so they are kind of heavy for pocket carry. With .357 they have quite a kick. If you can handle the weight they are a great choice. I like a lighter gun even if it has more recoil.

Magus
01-15-2012, 16:57
I have a 642, which is pretty much the same expect for the finish and carbon steel vs. stainless parts.

I love it. Won't leave home without it. It's just a perfect little carry gun that hides easy, snag free and reliable. Will likely pick up a 442 no lock as well at some point.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-15-2012, 17:07

Nothing wrong with Ruger, I have a GP100, and wouldn't mind an SP101. But the Smith Airweights are only 15 ounces, and the LCR is even lighter.

I'm not too brand specific in my tastes. It is more about the platform, size, weight and features, assuming equal quality :)

happyguy
01-15-2012, 17:37
I grew up on revolvers, mainly .357's and .44 mags (I'm kind of old), and my first duty weapon was a S&W Model 15, so I don't have a problem with the 442 even though it's relatively new to me. I can hit just fine out to 25 yards or so without a lot of effort.

I can't speak to it's durability but mine rides real nice in a coat pocket or in a Don Hume JIT Slide. I actually carry it as my primary and if I carry a backup it's my G26 or G19.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

fran m
01-15-2012, 19:50
Will the 642/442 moonclip models work without moonclips? I.E extract empty cases, or do moonclips have to be used?

Berto
01-15-2012, 20:36
I'm at approx 1500 in mine, many of which +P.

IIRC S&W tested them past 10K with hot ammo when the +P models came out.

THe lock doesn't bug me at all, it's a great gun and solid shooter.

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/4258/g20m64t94m442010.jpg

WiskyT
01-15-2012, 20:49
I think 10K is a bit optimistic. I had about half of that though mine and it was toast. SW replaced the frame and took care of all of the shipping.

chief63
01-16-2012, 04:30
Get some 148gr wadcutters for her first try. Doesn't matter the brand, but do not settle for any other load to start with.

Does she have any shooting experience? If not, then of course start on a 22 or fullsize 38 or 9 before progressing to the small carry gun.

Thats good advice. Wadcutters plus an APEX j-frame kit makes for a good shooter.

faawrenchbndr
01-16-2012, 04:39
I dgreat luck with mine. Recently replaced it with a NYPD 640 j-frame.

Great carry pieces, but do ot expect to be an expert shot the first
time you shoot a snubbie. With anything new, practice makes perfect!

rdbjr57
01-16-2012, 04:50

Good advice...

sigman69
01-16-2012, 04:55
two of my friends have these as carry guns...they speak highly of them and never had any issues with them.

redrick
01-16-2012, 05:52
It's a good pocket gun. If I was going to pocket carry that's what I would get.

If not I would choose something more accurate, more capacity, more pleasant to shoot, with a better trigger. The biggest negitive for me is the heavy trigger pull.

I only carry mine when I have to make a quick trip to the grocery store and I am to lazy to put on a holster.

fowler
01-16-2012, 08:00
There still making no-lock both 642and 442 ,mine is dated 11-2011 on fired cases. $400 ot the door with tax at 6.5%. The dealer had both same price. I have been using a 642 for 15 years without the lock. But I prefer the black 442 for its dullness and finish. Both are good 24/7 carryguns.

aircarver
01-16-2012, 10:09
They are great "get off me" guns but not so fun at the range. I have owned a couple over the years and my wife still carries one.

Put a laser sight on it and that will change.

They are accurate as hell if you restrain them consistently, and don't use the (nearly useless) short sight radius sights....

deputy tom
01-16-2012, 18:22
442s are great revolvers. I have the 642 and it shoots like a top. As I've said before, I began my shooting with a J-frame revolver and shoot them equally well as a K-frame or 1911.Once you get into the groove with the J-frame's trigger all other brands will feel very odd.For me these are the only way to go.Had I started out with Colt's or Ruger revolvers things would have been different.YMMV.tom.:cool:

spec357
01-16-2012, 19:06
I had 2 of them. I liked the first one better, but wound up selling them both. They both had the locks on them, and even though I never experienced problems with the locks I got spooked by it. I traded the first one and cash for a Ruger Sp101 357 which I would never sell. I like to carry IWB Appendix style and the funny thing is even though the 442 was smaller and lighter then the SP I am more comfortable carrying the Ruger all day. it just seems to fit me better. I still wouldn't hesitate to buy another if the right deal for a no lock version came along, because they are nice drop in the pocket revolvers.

Manolito1
01-16-2012, 19:22
I bought a 442 and put a set of laser sights on it and haven't seen it since. My wife took it to the back porch and shot it a couple of hundred times. She put her M&P in the safe and takes it out to be proficient but carries the little wheel gun everywhere. I just bought the S&W .380 bodyguard thinking I would get my 442 back. No such lluck. When she renews her CCW she out shoots a lot of people with a full size gun.

Dalton Wayne
01-16-2012, 19:56
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu192/Daltonlwayne/100_1895.jpg
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu192/Daltonlwayne/442100_1894.jpg

I've had mine for three years, now it's my EDC bug to my 1911, I just love this little gun, It's not pleasant to shoot but it's not ment to be a target gun, it's a belly gun for those up close and personal times you need a reliable weapon.

The finish on mine has held up really well, shows no sign of wear, mine lives in a Don Hume pocket holster, and when carried as primary it lives in a Don Hume IWB holster, mine is the no lock version with the Apex trigger kit installed, and wearing Eagle secret service grips.

Get one you won't regret it, it's the last gun I'd ever part with.
Regards
DW

grmnracing
02-08-2012, 13:39
Thanks to all. Here's my new 442.

Baba Louie
02-08-2012, 14:24
Thanks to all. Here's my new 442. Congrats on your new snubbie. Let us know your thoughts on shooting it a few times around. More fun to carry than to shoot all day. Gloves or alternate grips for extended shooting sessions become a must for my hands.

SpringerTGO
02-08-2012, 15:27
Congrats on the 442.
I have a 340, and it is by far my favorite carry gun.

DeLo
02-08-2012, 16:18
I love mine, its on me right now and always riding as a Bug to my 29sf. I have a ported version that was a Talo edition in 2009. It sat in the safe for a long time and just came out for the first couple hundred rounds last week because I picked up a CT 405 for a great deal.
I'm at approx 1500 in mine, many of which +P.

IIRC S&W tested them past 10K with hot ammo when the +P models came out.

THe lock doesn't bug me at all, it's a great gun and solid shooter.

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/4258/g20m64t94m442010.jpg
Your correct about the 10k. Your chest shots are high if your going for heart shots. Picture a cross hair that passes through both nipples horizontally and down the neck vertically. Good shooting though!

AWGD8
02-08-2012, 16:26
I love mine, its on me right now and always riding as a Bug to my 29sf. I have a ported version that was a Talo edition in 2009. It sat in the safe for a long time and just came out for the first couple hundred rounds last week because I picked up a CT 405 for a great deal.

Your correct about the 10k. Your chest shots are high if your going for heart shots. Picture a cross hair that passes through both nipples horizontally and down the neck vertically. Good shooting though!

That's pretty much close to descending aorta. That should do it even without hitting the heart.... :whistling:

thunderbat
02-08-2012, 17:39
442 with CT laser grips=perfect carry gun for the wife. Easy to shoot, 5 rounds of Gold Dots, aim the laser and pull the trigger. Sights don't matter at the range it is intended for with that setup.

writwing
02-08-2012, 18:51
Ok I am willing to listen.

Type in Google and have it.

BFN
02-09-2012, 10:12
I like the S&W J frames, have a M60 3" and a 642 2.5". The 33% extra barrel length on the 642 can gain up to 100 FPS, is slightly more accurate, has slightly less recoil, but only weighs another ounce and is easily pocketable.

wjv
02-09-2012, 10:22
Love mine. Put a pair of compact CT laser grips on it. The only other mod I did was to buy a set of Wolf springs. Al I changed was the trigger rebound spring (buy the spring tool and reassembling is so much easier). I left the main spring alone. Doing just the rebound spring dropped the pull 4-5 lbs which mad a big difference.

I grey up shooting DA revolvers so DA triggers don't bother me. In fact, I prefer them over SA.

WiskyT
02-09-2012, 14:36
I like the S&W J frames, have a M60 3" and a 642 2.5". The 33% extra barrel length on the 642 can gain up to 100 FPS, is slightly more accurate, has slightly less recoil, but only weighs another ounce and is easily pocketable.

I agree. A 3" 442 would be just as easy to hide as a 1 7/8".