Caliber war of a whole new kind! Which is LOUDER? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Caliber war of a whole new kind! Which is LOUDER?

NateHodge
01-15-2012, 19:39
There are a few(hundred) dogs running around here as I live out in the country. Some get in the garbage, some just run around the yard at night and bark at you. Now, I would never shoot a dog unless it was aggressive to me or my family or trying to hurt my livestock/chickens. But I do occasionally fire a few rounds into the ground if I catch them doing something they don't need to be doing.

Normally, I use my G19 to shoo them off. Well, just a few minutes ago, the neighbors dog was asleep under the porch and my wife walked outside and startled it, so naturally it started barking at her. This time, I grabbed the G22.

With my G19 my ears are ringing after a couple of shots, but I just noticed that with the G22, I can't even tell I fired a round off. I know I should always use ear pro but I don't always have time. Has anyone else noticed that their 9mm is louder?

USMCsilver
01-15-2012, 19:47
Different rounds will sound different in different guns, and this will all be unique to the individual shooter.

NateHodge
01-15-2012, 19:59
UPDATE: and a kind of funny one now that it's over.

2 Deputies just pulled up. I saw the lights through the window and looked out the kitchen window. I saw the searchlight on the a-pillar and knew immediately it was an officer. So I stepped out on the porch. He got out and told me they got a call from a concerned citizen saying they heard a woman scream then heard gunshots. I told them the deal and immediately came inside and called my wife. She was already back on our road from an ice cream run so I stepped back outside and told the officers before they left that she was almost back.

I'm just glad they didn't come up with guns drawn down on me and I stepped outside on the porch in plain view so they didn't have a reason to get nasty.

Carrys
01-15-2012, 20:03
Just don't shoot at anything with a 357 sig sir.

It's louder than judgment day IMO.

USMCsilver
01-15-2012, 20:05
FWIW, a ported .357 snubbie is pretty damn loud, too. :)

Diesel_Bomber
01-15-2012, 20:07
Man, there are other ways to scare off critters, use ear protection all the time. If your ears are ringing, you're losing hearing.

Restless28
01-15-2012, 20:10
5.56 and 9mm are loud to me. Magnum deer rifles boom.

IndianaMatt
The few times I've shot a handgun off without ear protection, I was actually pretty amazed at how loud it was. Last gun I shot that way was five or six rounds out of a G19- my ears were ringing for hours.

I never got how the professionals do it at war- hearing gunshots all day long.

USMCsilver
Dude -- got a .22?

Get some rat-shot and just pepper the hell out of them when in range.

.338SAKO
01-15-2012, 20:17
My good friend wanted to shoot my .50ea desert eagle, after a couple shots he couldn't believe how loud it was. BTW I use ammonia to keep dogs out of trash it tears their nose up.:whistling:

owl6roll
01-15-2012, 20:19
Yeah, a .357 revolver.....make sure the muzzle is all the way out of the PASSENGER window before you shoot at a coyote, on the side of the dirt road, on the way to the river!!!

emopunker2004
01-15-2012, 20:19
FWIW, a ported .357 snubbie is pretty damn loud, too. :)
THIS I had a Charter Arms .357 MagPug and that sucker was LOUD! The concussion from it was ungodly!

Eric
01-15-2012, 20:21
I have a snub-nose S&W .460 Magnum and a 6.5" S&W .500 Magnum. They are both unbelievably loud. The sound is a physical presence. The first time I fired the .500 at the range, everyone on the firing line stopped to see what had happened. It sounded like an explosion followed by a cease-fire.:supergrin: Eric

Highspeedlane
01-15-2012, 20:24
I'm just glad they didn't come up with guns drawn down on me and I stepped outside on the porch in plain view so they didn't have a reason to get nasty.

If you carbon copied that incident in MA the response would have been a full blown SWAT team swarming the house.

.338SAKO
01-15-2012, 20:26
The few times I've shot a handgun off without ear protection, I was actually pretty amazed at how loud it was. Last gun I shot that way was five or six rounds out of a G19- my ears were ringing for hours.

I wasn't the brightest guy around as a kid. I got a .44mag and shot it one day around a box w/o hearing protection. One hell of a headache. Now I am slightly hard of hearing. But I can shoot my 10mm, .45, 12 gauge w/o hearing protection a couple times without ringing. I do practice hearing conservation now when I can to preserve what I have left. When I cant ( shooting to scare off dogs etc...) no ringing at all. I guess that's how the military guys do it.

USMCsilver
01-15-2012, 20:28
Hell, 12-guage doesn't bother me in the SLIGHTEST. Been shooting that stuff for nearly 18 years, in large quantities and it's never phased me. Maybe I'm blessed (maybe I'm stupid).

Restless28
01-15-2012, 20:28

I've often wondered this. Is hearing loss a given in battle? I'm guessing no one wears hearing protection in war?

arclight610
01-15-2012, 20:32
M44 mosin nagant. I will claim my prize now...

GioaJack
01-15-2012, 20:33

It's referred to as 'auditory exclusion' as is part of the body's natural defense system.

While you can easily turn your iPod earphones up loud enough to hurt your ears you can just as easily fire a handgun inside a vehicle, never notice the sound and hear and understand all radio transmissions as if nothing had happened. The same thing happens when involved in a shooting situation indoors or out.

Since the defense mechanism kicks in during times of stress when surges of adrenalin are present it is a relatively short acting phenomena.

It is not uncommon to see artillery crews with their fingers in their ears while firing and not being fired upon. Throw in sappers coming through the wire and it's a different story. The body has amazing ways to protect itself.

Jack

tongix
01-15-2012, 20:35
Use the 12 g with birdshots no 6, that be enough to scare off those dogs away.

Carrys
01-15-2012, 20:38
I have a snub-nose S&W .460 Magnum and a 6.5" S&W .500 Magnum. They are both unbelievably loud. The sound is a physical presence. The first time I fired the .500 at the range, everyone on the firing line stopped to see what had happened. It sounded like an explosion followed by a cease-fire.:supergrin: Eric

I suspect the concussion alone out of that brute could do a proper amount of damage as well?:shocked:

Eric
01-15-2012, 20:40
I suspect the concussion alone out of that brute could do a proper amount of damage as well?:shocked:

It's a little scary. The concussion wave wraps around your body like a 3D slap. The quietest place to be is the one firing it though. The people to either side are the ones who really get beat up. Eric

samurairabbi
01-15-2012, 20:48
With my G19 my ears are ringing after a couple of shots, but I just noticed that with the G22, I can't even tell I fired a round off.

Barrel length will greatly affect the blast noise level; lengthening the barrel for a given cartridge will reduce the noise. The full-length 22 barrel is longer than the compact-length 19 barrel. The caliber difference will affect the noise level, but that barrel length is still a factor.

G29Reload
01-15-2012, 21:12
if you have to fire a gun in close quarters without time to grab hearing protection, the least damage would probably be a .45acp.

You're down to only the gun going off and not the added oomph of the slug immediately going supersonic. Its a big bore and more of a sonic THUD than a higher frequency CRACK.

The only round i can shoot regularly without doubling over in pain is a .22 from a longer barreled .22 LR. Pistols are devastating for me from .22 on up.

Loudest round i've ever shot that turned heads at the range was a Tier II Ruger load of hardcast from a .45LC. 454 Casul is also pretty ferocious when you touch em off.

All-time winner was standing to the side of an AR-50 .bmg going off. I was 20 ft away and thought my nose was gonna start bleeding. Later the Armalite rep let me fire a round from it and the natural position of being behind the gun lessened the noise. Anytime a .50 is going off i want plugs AND phones.

Like when i went to a MG shoot and someone had a quad50 rigged up. Unbelievable.

Breadman03
01-15-2012, 21:22
Grind up dried habanero peppers. I had a couple plants when I was a kid. Our dogs NEVER went in that garden.

PghJim
01-15-2012, 22:39

Did you ever get busy at the range doing something then forget to put your muffs on or plugs in before you shoot? It is something you will remember the rest of your life with a 4" .500 S&W.

dkf
01-15-2012, 22:50
A .357mag snubbie is louder than a .357sig out of a G33 by quite margin. Verified that myself with no ears on. Muzzle blast was more with the .357mag. I don't really care I love them both.

cowboy1964
01-15-2012, 23:26
I can't tell any appreciable difference between most 9mm, .40, and .45 loads. However, the 9mm 9BPLE (+P+) is definitely louder. And of course the AR-15 trumps all them by far.

RedHaze
01-15-2012, 23:47
Touching off a .357 SIG in the living room was LOUD.
Shooting it outdoors without ear pro is LOUD.

However, it's kiddie stuff compared to being the a-gunner for the AT4.
Which is like being a fly clapped between some giants hands. Being the actual one firing it is cool and dandy, because you end up in a bubble as the rocket is fired. But five feet to the side you get freakin' walloped. Being the a-gunner for a half dozen shots and I had a wicked bloody nose to boot, just from the concussions.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c5/AT4_rocket_launcher.jpg

Makes you wonder how any of those old navy boys have ANY hearing at all left after those 16 inch guns went off.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltzoa0PUTw1qeg95lo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1326779464&Signature=UZcvQ%2BAinw1Md579Grz8B0ZVRqg%3D