Investment guns.....what do you suggest? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Investment guns.....what do you suggest?

hogship
01-15-2012, 21:29
If you were into investing some money into guns that you think would be profitable in the near future, what would you buy?

For me, It would be revolvers of all makes.....Smith, Colt, Ruger that were made prior to around 1990......especially pre-lock Smiths, and lesser desirable Colts, like Troopers.

Another, I feel is going to go up fast is Ruger MKII 22 pistols.

Oh yeah..........Real Marlin rifles made by the real Marlin company!

ooc

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/781008/1425902/365164504.jpg
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/781008/1425902/392970698.jpg
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/781008/1425902/186606221.jpg
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/781008/1425902/392973042.jpg
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/781008/1425902/112839011.jpg

Tippyman
01-15-2012, 21:32
Class 3 weapons?

Machine guns seem to do nothing but go up in price. Every time I've looked, I can't see how they aren't a smart investment. (Unless laws change of course...)

RWBlue
01-15-2012, 22:09
Class 3 weapons?

Machine guns seem to do nothing but go up in price. Every time I've looked, I can't see how they aren't a smart investment. (Unless laws change of course...)

+1
I think they are a great investment, but a high risk investment.

For less money I would suggest investing in suppressors, SBR, SBS. One of these days someone is going to pass a law saying that no more SU, SBR, SBS can be produced for normal people.

denn1911
01-15-2012, 22:30
Machine guns continue to rise in price. If you have the money, they seem to be the way to go.

mixflip
01-15-2012, 23:12
We talked about this at work the other day. I'd very much like to invest in firearms also. Especially full autos. Not only will they grow in value as the years go on, they never loose value as the paper investments go up and down with the world economy.

So in good times they are a good investment and in bad times (SHTF) they are much handier than gold or silver as far as putting food on the table and self defense.

I saw an M16 for sale here in Vegas for $15k. They also had a bunch of M11's for about $4000.

As for regular guy prices... I'd buy a few Paratrooper SKS's, Polytech type 56 AK47's, Norinco M14-S's since they are no longer made and no longer imported both of which always forces the price of them up.

I wish I had a case of $50 SKS. Remember those days? SKS's are now hard to find less than $300.

Back in the 80's those Norell full auto trigger packs for the Ruger 10/22 were dirt cheap. Now the Norell trigger pack will cost you about $10,000. (for just a trigger assembly!!!)

Just1More
01-15-2012, 23:13
Glocks

id1otbox
01-16-2012, 00:31
I agree with all that's been said above.

I think any gun is a pretty good investment. They hold onto their value pretty well if you take care of them. If the economy ever drops into a real recession(we are still high and dry compared to how far we could fall) a gun would be just about the most useful possession you could have.

Jim S.
01-16-2012, 06:59
If the economy ever drops into a real recession(we are still high and dry compared to how far we could fall) a gun would be just about the most useful possession you could have.

Yes it would but not as an investment.
Just my opinion but in times of economic collapse what would you expect to get for a gun? Some useless paper money? No.
Some silver or gold? Perhaps.
If you were starving to death would you trade one of those investments for a meal? I would bet you would.
Guns usually do not make you a profit until they become hard to find because they are no longer made or some such situation.
They like any other item are only worth what someone is willing to pay.
When the economy has collapsed you can barter possesions for something else you may need.
At that time a gun would be better as protection for you over an investment.
Investments are only good while people are willing to buy something you have and the payment they give you is worth something.
Just a thought.

Glockdude1
01-16-2012, 07:06
Machine guns.

You buy the weapon, shoot it all you want, sell it later for a profit.

You get paid to enjoy it!!

:cool:

TN.Frank
01-16-2012, 07:47
Right now I'd look into getting some of the Walther P1's that are on the market. You can pick them up(with your C&R) for around $350 a gun, shipped. Once the market dries up they'll easily start going for $500-$600. Heck, look at what has happened to the Nagant revolvers. They were $49 bucks forever and now they're $110, that would have been a great investment right there, you could have more then doubled your money.

RWBlue
01-16-2012, 07:56
I agree with all that's been said above.

I think any gun is a pretty good investment. They hold onto their value pretty well if you take care of them. If the economy ever drops into a real recession(we are still high and dry compared to how far we could fall) a gun would be just about the most useful possession you could have.

IMHO,
There are more guns in this country than what you would imagine. If we ever have an all out civil war they will come out of the closets and forgotten back rooms.... The problem will not be getting a gun, but getting ammo.

Line Rider
01-16-2012, 09:16
Hi-Points and Lorcins :rofl:

1gewehr
01-16-2012, 10:33
Anything good quality and mostly steel. Remember that stupid legislation can make a firearms investment worth a whole lot less or more overnight. That is what makes machine guns a risky investment. An amnesty could make a $12,000 M16 into a $1000 M16 overnight.

Buy it because you like it and will enjoy it and I don't think you can go wrong. Except maybe with polymer frames.

Bruce M
01-16-2012, 10:36
:rofl::rofl: Don't forget Jennings

plouffedaddy
01-16-2012, 11:02
Machine guns.

^^This. AKs and SKSs seem to keep going up and up over the years as well.....

Glockdude1
01-16-2012, 11:14
^^This. AKs and SKSs seem to keep going up and up over the years as well.....

Check out this SKS ad: http://www.southeasttexas.com/classifieds/detail.cfm?id=803193&classified_code=firearms&zipcode=&distance=0

It is a local sale here. I have no idea who the sellers is. I'll bet it will be a looooooong time before he sells it.

:wow:

01-16-2012, 11:37
All the cheap military/police surplus that's available at the distributors for relatively cheap prices. Once they dry up, the prices go up.

M44's used to be under $69, now they are $200.
Russian Captures used to be ~$200 now they are ~$350 on up.
Sig P6's used to be $289, now they are pushing $400.

I think the P38/P1s available now will go up in price as the supply dries up.

Line Rider
01-16-2012, 13:16
:wow: $1095.00 for an SKS. Ain't no way I'd pay that. Anyone who would has more money than sense. :wow:

txgunguy
01-16-2012, 13:38
Call me crazy, but any ak style weapon. Anything from a parts kit made overseas could easily be banned from importation.

If you can find any aks with milled receivers.

AR parts I think are a strong investment.

Pretty much any brand name firearm in good shape.

I'M Glockamolie
01-16-2012, 14:57
Anything that is likely to be banned if BHO is reelected. I have all of the purpose guns I need. The next ones I'm buying this year are ones I think will most likely end up on the no-fly list. I'm thinking a Mini Draco pistol, a Serbu shorty 870, that sort of thing. That and imported evil looking things like Benellis.

Batesmotel
01-16-2012, 14:58

The day could come where a box full of High-Points,each with extra mags, holsters and a couple of boxes of ammo might have some real barter value.

eclark53520
01-16-2012, 15:21
The ONLY true investment gun(and it's even risky) is machine guns. Everything else would be extremely risky. You never know what's going to be desirable in 30 years.

Machine guns, assuming they don't lift the ban(not good odds there) will only appreciate in value. The only other issue would be an all out ban and the government tracking the registered ones down and destroying them without compensation. Risky, but far less risky than hoping what you buy will be rare and desire able later in life.

glockaviator
01-16-2012, 15:23
I can tell you that SKS's could be bought for about $99 in the 1990's and you can buy Mosin Nagant's for about $99 today. (And an 1861 Springfield could be bought for $1 in 1866).

Bren
01-16-2012, 15:25
Guns aren't much of an investment - unless you invest in AR-15's and H&K rifles and get lucky with a government ban.

My usual comparison story is, if you bought a high quality American handgun (S&W or Colt) and a high quality American guitar (Gibson or Fender or Gretsch) in 1960, for $250 each, the handgun would now be worth maybe $700-1,200 but the guitar would easily be worth $20,000-80,000 (if nobody famous ever palyed it).

RWBlue
01-16-2012, 16:39
Guns aren't much of an investment - unless you invest in AR-15's and H&K rifles and get lucky with a government ban.

My usual comparison story is, if you bought a high quality American handgun (S&W or Colt) and a high quality American guitar (Gibson or Fender or Gretsch) in 1960, for $250 each, the handgun would now be worth maybe $700-1,200 but the guitar would easily be worth $20,000-80,000 (if nobody famous ever palyed it).

Yep .

RWBlue
01-16-2012, 16:41
Anything good quality and mostly steel. Remember that stupid legislation can make a firearms investment worth a whole lot less or more overnight. That is what makes machine guns a risky investment. An amnesty could make a $12,000 M16 into a $1000 M16 overnight.

Buy it because you like it and will enjoy it and I don't think you can go wrong. Except maybe with polymer frames.

Actually this wouldn't bother me. In fact I would support it even if I lost money on the deal.

What bothers me is that they could decided that your transferable machine gun isn't transferable to anyone but the gov.

Or the transfer cost goes from $200 to $20,000.

RWBlue
01-16-2012, 16:45
Check out this SKS ad: http://www.southeasttexas.com/classifieds/detail.cfm?id=803193&classified_code=firearms&zipcode=&distance=0

It is a local sale here. I have no idea who the sellers is. I'll bet it will be a looooooong time before he sells it.

:wow:

Quiet his wife doesn't know....

Honey I have been trying to sell my rifle like you told me to but the market just isn't there. No body has called or even emailed me.

M&P15T
01-16-2012, 16:46

That's amazing.

Nestor
01-16-2012, 16:50
Like with anything else - You have to know the market. Buy low, sell higher.
Guns out of production or priced low despite of being of good quality, classic collectible pieces and so on. Seriously though - I never lost my money on the older S&W revolvers. Ever.

Ghost Tracker
01-16-2012, 16:53
Don't confuse your activities. Guns are fun, investments are investments. Trying to make 'em do both might well mess them up...as either!

bac1023
01-16-2012, 18:02
Glocks

:rofl:

WarEagle32
01-17-2012, 04:32
We will see the assault weapons ban back into effect at some point. May not be that soon but we shall see it!! IMO! The AK's, AR's, and all the high cap mags will be at a premium!

Lior
01-17-2012, 05:08
Pre-1994 magazines used to be investment. It's all a matter of government-induced market distortions.

eracer
01-17-2012, 05:18
Machine guns.

Except for one thing. All your profit ends up downrange long before you sell it...:crying:

I would invest in fine sporting arms, like double-rifles and high-grade shotguns. Also, the limited-release commemorative guns seem to be good choices as well.

Then again, look at the Nylon 66. Who would have guessed that the stainless/black 'Apache' version would be selling for $600 today.

Glockdude1
01-17-2012, 05:22
Except for one thing. All your profit ends up downrange long before you sell it...:crying:

Not really. I would only "test fire" it to check for function........... :whistling:

:tongueout:

Bradysmmrs
01-17-2012, 05:39
I think ammo is the way to go. You can shoot it, sell it or barter it, and if things get real bad you'll be happy to have it

Myke_Hart
01-17-2012, 05:40

Value/worth is only someones desire/need for that object.

Drop the economy into a depression and now the gun is the only thing of value. The guitar gets used as firewood to cook the food you just shot with your gun. :supergrin:

That in my book is the best investment, one that holds its value in a bad economy.

eracer
01-17-2012, 06:00
Not really. I would only "test fire" it to check for function........... :whistling:

:tongueout:Assault rifles are like sex. The longer you keep your finger on the trigger, the bigger your smile gets.

I don't own one yet, but I'm thinking about getting an RDIAS for my suppressed .300 BLK SBR. Ammo cost is a powerful inhibitor...

PlasticGuy
01-18-2012, 01:42
The high profit items are the the ones that are subject to bans and restrictions. Tactical firearms that were banned from import are high on the list, but the 1994 ban proved that tactical domestic firearms and magazines can be a good investment in the right political climate. The concern is that when they become obsolete, their value can plummet. Who wants a $7,000 Sig 551 when there are more updated fighting rifles like the SCAR for 1/3 the cost? Ditto on the HK 91 and 93.

Something that has the potential to go down this path is ammo. If they ever ban lead, we could be in for a rude awakening.

As far as more stable investments, high quality firearms that carry sentimental value with the 40-70 year old crowd are solid. The more durable they are and the more variety there is in them, the more collectible they are. I could see Ruger single actions sliding into this category in the next decade or two (and some of the early ones already are).

meathead19
01-25-2012, 10:59
I was looking at a Gun Value book recently and was a bit surprised that they classified Ruger Security Six as "sleepers."

And the S&W N frames (6" anyway) and lots of older Smith's were not.....just found that a bit odd.

byf43
01-25-2012, 11:30
The gamble is. . . .
What can you afford to buy before this November (ahem. . . cough. . .cough).

Could be that ALL will be worth more $$$.:whistling:

ETA: In the very short term, as hogship said, "Real Marlins" are going to be worth a LOT more $$$. They're already going way up in price, IF you can find them.

Darkangel1846
01-25-2012, 11:43
Your best bet are revolutionary, civil war, WWI, and some WWII select rifles and Pistols.
They must be origional and complete. You should research it and actually know what your buying.(lots of fraud and misrepresented guns)
Even if you over pay for a civil war rifle or pistol after a few years the price will catch up.
You also have to remember the care and storage you have to put into these weapons.
I knew a guy name Herb Jones out in Va. He had bought a civil war Henery repeater for 6 or 7 thousand in the late 70's or early 80s. When I knew him in the early 90s the same rifle was worth well over 40+ thousand.
FA weapons are fine. I could have bought a FA Thompson for $3800.00 in the early 90s, now they run 12K-20K depending on the model and age.(if its a famous weapon then the price flys out the window.)
Do research first.

I'M Glockamolie
01-25-2012, 15:59
I was looking at a Gun Value book recently and was a bit surprised that they classified Ruger Security Six as "sleepers."

And the S&W N frames (6" anyway) and lots of older Smith's were not.....just found that a bit odd.

A sleeper is one that you don't suspect will perform; ie an underdog. Everyone knows Smith revolvers will.

meathead19
01-25-2012, 17:25
A sleeper is one that you don't suspect will perform; ie an underdog. Everyone knows Smith revolvers will.

OK.....Old Ruger's don't perform.

Heard of many old Rugers FTF (failing to fire for you)?

Wanna try again chief???

I'M Glockamolie
01-25-2012, 17:50
OK.....Old Ruger's don't perform.

Heard of many old Rugers FTF (failing to fire for you)?

Wanna try again chief???

Uh, we're talking about gun values, chief. By and large, a given Smith will currently outperform a given Ruger. Rugers may get there with a premium price someday, but the Smiths are already there. Your turn.

meathead19
01-25-2012, 18:32
Uh, we're talking about gun values, chief. By and large, a given Smith will currently outperform a given Ruger. Rugers may get there with a premium price someday, but the Smiths are already there. Your turn.

Is outperform your word for "resale?"

Would you rather be tagged by a Security Six or a 686? I'm gonna say neither, but who knows......since we're debating this.

Yes, the 686 will "resale" for more than a comparable Security Six, but will not "outperform"....or do you mean have a higher resale?

Outperform does not equal value. A 2012 Kia coupe with turbo will "outperform" a 2012 Chevy Suburban in 0-40 mph, but I'd rather have the Chevy. You may not.

DeLo
01-25-2012, 21:56
I thought about the real marlins. I bought 2 for a good price and sold them for a profit now. I think in all honesty people will get over the idea of a "real marlin." Lever actions have had their day :rofl:

Havasu
01-25-2012, 22:39
The supply of WWII Lugers and P-38s is dwindling rapidly and may be sending prices up in the near future.