Paddle holsters? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Paddle holsters?

bricksandsparrows
01-16-2012, 12:13
Hey Mas,

I saw an earlier post where someone was asking you to recommend a paddle holster. I think you went with a Safariland, but the general vibe I got from your reply was that you werent too crazy about paddle holsters in general. Could you elaborate on some of the downsides of that carry system?

Its funny, but my regular mode of carry is probably one of the cheapest paddles you can get. I carry in a $25 Uncle Mikes rig. Ill admit its not always the most comfortable carry especially in the car but with the way I dress (Maine winters and all) i never have trouble with concealment. Its also very little hassle to take it on and off and i love the draw but summers will come eventually and Ill probably need a new rig then.

Always excited to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Mas Ayoob
01-16-2012, 20:56
Bricks, you have a good eye for general vibes. :cool:

While I've used and (more often) tested paddle holsters extensively, I'm not a fan of the concept. I've taught handgun retention and disarming for decades. The nature of the paddle holster is such that no matter how good the quality of the workmanship, the holster body can break off the paddle, leaving the user separated from his or her holstered gun. I've seen in happen many times in handgun retention training.

I've come to prefer a holster that secures more, uh, SECURELY to the belt, for any situation (such as self-defense concealed carry) where there's any likelihood for a struggle for the holstered gun occurring.

Best,
Mas