Kimber TLE II to the range today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kimber TLE II to the range today

mainegunner
01-16-2012, 15:59
I got a chance to take my new TLE II to the range today after field stripping it and cleaning it. Probably about 24 degrees out with a little breeze not bad. I only had time to put 50 rounds through it but it shot great no hiccups. I was just shooting pmc 230 ball ammo. Very accurate. I would like to make this my if SHTF gun. Thought I would ask the experts what they would change on a kimber TLE II to make it bullet proof so to speak. Maybe send itb to wilson combat and have some upgrades down.

faawrenchbndr
01-16-2012, 16:53
Congrats on the new Kimber!

Throw the Kimber mags in the trash & get some Wilson Combat 47D mags.

Rally Vincent
01-16-2012, 17:12
+1 on the 47D's.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
01-16-2012, 17:13
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Smiley/this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

mainegunner
01-16-2012, 17:15
I have the bases covered on the mags. I have 6 wilson mags so far and more to come. What else should I do? I have mep night sights so I am good to go with sights for now.

faawrenchbndr
01-16-2012, 17:34
Buy 300 rounds of what ever hollow point ammo you plan to use.
Take it to the range and blast away,.....:supergrin:

swinokur
01-16-2012, 17:39
I use 230g HST and Gold Dots in my TLE

No issues

Gunshine
01-16-2012, 18:12
I'm still stuck on the 24 degrees with a little breeze part.

Bodyarmorguy
01-16-2012, 22:11

+1 on the 47D's.

Agree to ditch the Kimber mags....but I will put on my flame retardant suit and disagree on the 47D's. They are good mags, do not get me wrong, but can be difficult to seat in a slide closed pistol when loaded with 8 rounds. The 7 round 47's seem to bit a bit more reliable. If you insist on an 8 round mag, look at Wilson's new ETM. I had an opportunity to use one this weekend. It has enough extra play to assure seating when fully loaded into a slide closed pistol. They are pricey...but I think they will be worth it.

I had a TLE II and kind of miss it.....the mods I would do would be to ditch the FLGR and replace with a standard GI length guide rod and spring plug from Ed Brown, mag release from 10-8 Performance, Heinie "Ledge" rear sight and a Wilson Bulletproof slide stop/release. That part takes a pounding. Last but not least, ditch the plastic mainspring housing and replace with a flat checkered model with integral lanyard loop from Gun Crafter.

mainegunner
01-17-2012, 04:20
Thanks Guys some great ideas

brickboy240
01-17-2012, 14:54
I have been rocking a TLE II for 4 years now. Very accurate and no jams at all.

Your TLE II needs three things: a good holster, good mags and plenty of ammo.

Seriously...if it runs 100%, hits where you want ... don't go messing with it.

Some 1911 owners LOVE to "mess with it until it is unreliable" but that is not my bag.

If it runs well, is 100% and hits where I want....I leave it alone.

- brickboy240

gator378
01-17-2012, 16:56
I'm still stuck on the 24 degrees with a little breeze part.

Weather for the big Magnums. Keeps the barrel from getting hot.

FLIPPER 348
01-17-2012, 18:16

Why throw away perfectly good mags??

jaklcrow
01-17-2012, 18:35
My Kimber mag has never had a single failure. Agreed on buying Wilson mags though.

barnettbill
01-19-2012, 21:13

Definately!

FLIPPER 348
01-19-2012, 21:47
You have to be a true 1911-Operator to start 'throwing away' perfectly good mags and using only Wilson Combat mags!

Ruggles
01-19-2012, 21:51
I agree on 7 round mags, I prefer them as well to the 8 rounders. Plenty of folks love the 8 rounders so I am in the minority here I guess :)

I like the Ed Brown mags with a regular baseplate on them for my carry 1911s. I like the flush fit with the gun better. Wilson mags are good as are the Brown mags, I also use and like mags from Mec Gar. The Kimber Pro mags are pretty good as well IMO. The Kimber base mags are not trash IMO but there are better mags out there.

The only thing I changed on my TLE was the plastic Main Spring Housing to a metal one. Not needed but I felt it was something I wanted to do. :)

Congrats on the new 1911, I have said before on here and still think the TLE is the best "bang for the buck" 1911 on the market all things considered.

Badger1911
01-20-2012, 15:23
Congrats on the TLE II! I've had mine for about five years and have NEVER had a problem with it...or the stock Kimber mags.

drobs
01-24-2012, 10:38
Hope your TLE luck is better than mine.

Brought mine to my CCW class, was getting light primer strikes then had a failure to feed where a WWB 230grn FMJ round came 1/2 way out of the Novak mag and locked itself into the feed ramp.

Couldn't clear it by pulling the slide back. Couldn't get the mag out and a normal slap to the back the slide didn't solve it either.

Took banging the slide on the bench to finally clear it.

Tightened the screw on the trigger stop, that looks to have solved the light primer strike issue.

Cleaned the hell out the gun, ran a couple 5 (recently purchased) Ed Brown mags through it with only 1 easily clearable failure to feed (it was cold and I was wearing gloves).

I pulled the FGR a long time ago but after the CCW class fuster cluck, replaced my no name GI guide rod & plug with Ed Brown ones.

Next mod will be to take off the rear sight and remove the Kimber Swartz mechanism.

Not quite ready to ditch the TLE yet but seriously looking at the TRP.

I've lost confidence in my Kimber. For CCW I carry a Glock 26 or 19.

bac1023
01-24-2012, 20:44
Congrats! :cool:

:needspics:

MrM4Guy
01-28-2012, 04:06
congrats on the new kimber!

Throw the kimber mags in the trash & get some wilson combat 47d mags.
agreed!

MrM4Guy
01-28-2012, 04:09

Okay, then I would donate them to my enemy!:rofl:

MrM4Guy
01-28-2012, 04:17
I bought a Kimber Warrior and was all ready to go and trick it out even more! My wise gunsmith told to go shoot the thing first then come see him. I did and was very happy with the results. Crisp glass breaking trigger, only a little off to the left (probably my fault), and had that lonely light rail....
So, he did a trigger pull test. It came to a factory 1.92 lbs. WOW!!! I have stubby fingers so he added a Wilson Combat extended slide release, and then I purchased 9 Wilson Combat Magazines ( 47d I believe ), and for the Gucci factor bought a Streamlight TLR-2 light/laser to keep that rail company when I deem fit. Have fun!

MrM4Guy
01-28-2012, 04:19
Let me know what you do to it and how you like it!
-D

Gary1911A1
01-28-2012, 05:09
I have been rocking a TLE II for 4 years now. Very accurate and no jams at all.

Your TLE II needs three things: a good holster, good mags and plenty of ammo.

Seriously...if it runs 100%, hits where you want ... don't go messing with it.

Some 1911 owners LOVE to "mess with it until it is unreliable" but that is not my bag.

If it runs well, is 100% and hits where I want....I leave it alone.

- brickboy240
I agree. If your TLE works well out of the box I'd leave it alone unless something breaks. Reminds me of the saying "if it works, don't fix it".

Bodyarmorguy
01-28-2012, 12:44
My wise gunsmith told to go shoot the thing first then come see him. I did and was very happy with the results. Crisp glass breaking trigger, only a little off to the left (probably my fault), and had that lonely light rail....
So, he did a trigger pull test. It came to a factory 1.92 lbs. WOW!!!

A 1.92 lb trigger pull from the factory???? Me thinks your gunsmith made a mistake. It is rare to find a factory trigger less than 4 lbs, especially on a gun intended for carry/self-defense. I have handled many Warriors and NEVER found a trigger like that. Rob Leatham is currently running a 1.5 pound trigger on a competition gun. Personally, I would not use a pistol for SD with a trigger pull under 4 lbs.

And are we talking about a Warrior or Warrior II? The original Warrior is not on the DOJ list of approved guns for sale in CA.

ca survivor
01-28-2012, 14:00
Wilson shop will work on a Kimber????

CharlestonG26
01-28-2012, 14:35
My TLE II is stock except for Wilson magazines and VZ Gator Back grips.

MrM4Guy
01-28-2012, 19:20
Bodyarmorguy, I agree with you about the trigger pull being around 4 pounds factory (usually), but if I did not shoot the thing and feel the trigger my self, and I had my gunsmith run the trigger pull machine 4 times. 3 times it showed 1.92 pounds, 1 time 1.93 pounds. I did not believe still until he started to get irritated (in a good natured way) and tested a new Glock 17, Springfield Armory 1911A1, and H&K USP compact in front of me Those guns because I am familiar with how the trigger feels from self ownership) and they all came in around factory pulls.
And thank you for correcting me, it is a Kimber Warrior II. You are correct about California not allowing Kimber to send in the Warrior I's .
So Rob Leatham runs a 1.5 pound trigger? Nice to know. Feeling how a 1.92 pound trigger tells me why a competition shooter would shoot such a touchy trigger. Thanks for the reply!!!
P.s. I am the original owner,so I know that there was never any trigger work done on my pistol.

MrM4Guy
01-28-2012, 19:24
ca survivor, I do not believe Wilson Combat will work on a Kimber, but I never said That Wilson Combat worked on my Kimber. My personal gunsmith did. I just used Wilson Combat Magazines and used their extended slide release ( because they are a good company, and that is what my gunsmith stocks for gun work! ) I would not have minded if it were a Kimber slide release. Correct me if I did say that Wilson worked on my Kimber. Thanks for the reply!

MrM4Guy
01-28-2012, 19:27
Bodyarmorguy, do you think that maybe I got a gem out of the rough on my trigger pull from Kimber? Some enthusiast friends/shop workers claim that on higher end 1911 style pistols, 2-2.5 is normal. Some say that 4-5 pounds is normal.

Bodyarmorguy
01-28-2012, 20:03
Bodyarmorguy, do you think that maybe I got a gem out of the rough on my trigger pull from Kimber? Some enthusiast friends/shop workers claim that on higher end 1911 style pistols, 2-2.5 is normal. Some say that 4-5 pounds is normal.

You said a couple of post back that you are the original owner and that no trigger work has been done, in the next post you said that only your personal smith has worked on the gun.....what did he do?

As far as being a gem in the rough.....no, the Warrior II is not a high speed game gun for IPSC etc. And no, a 2-2.5 pull on a higher end 1911 is not normal unless the buyer spec'd it that way. I had a Wilson CQB that came with a 3.5 lb and honestly I felt it was too light for a carry gun (it was my duty pistol). I had a Nighthawk 10-8 that broke at 4.25 and Jason Burton built me a gun that I spec'd a 4.25 pound trigger.

Personally, if you are carrying the gun or using it as your home defense gun, I would send the pistol back to Kimber or to a reputable smith and spec the trigger to the 4 lb mark.

MrM4Guy
01-28-2012, 20:35
Bodyarmorguy, I am the original owner. The only work done by my gunsmith was to add the Wilson Combat extended slide release (as part of the cleaning process I could have swapped it myself, just convenient at the time). I do not intend this firearm as a CCW pistol. It will mainly be for range use and plinking. My typical CCW guns depending on what I am wearing, going, or just happen to gravitate towards would be either my Ruger LCR in .38 +P+, H&K USP compact .45, or Glocks 29 or 19. The 29 has an EFK FireDragon .40 S&W conversion barrel which I now have put over 1000 rounds through without one FTF.

All of my firearms that I bought first hand have their factory trigger settings. I shoot hem enough to get a feeling for their triggers. Kinda like women. You don't change em' , just get used to their quirks and live happily!

Ruggles
01-28-2012, 20:50
Wilson does indeed work on Kimbers;

What pistols do you work on?

"We will work on Springfield Armory, Colt, Norinco, Wilson Combat, Kimber, Strayer Tripp, and Strayer Voight pistols."

That is from the Wilson site.

MrM4Guy
01-28-2012, 20:53
Ruggles, thanks for the info!

glock2740
01-28-2012, 21:07

Ditto.

Gary1911A1
01-29-2012, 07:49
Wilson does indeed work on Kimbers;

What pistols do you work on?

"We will work on Springfield Armory, Colt, Norinco, Wilson Combat, Kimber, Strayer Tripp, and Strayer Voight pistols."

That is from the Wilson site.

Wilson did work on mine and I was happy with the results.

glock2740
01-29-2012, 08:02
I don't throw my Kimber mags in the trash, but I do throw them in a box.
Because they suck? :dunno:

glock2740
01-29-2012, 08:03
You have to be a true 1911-Operator to start 'throwing away' perfectly good mags and using only Wilson Combat mags!
Or you can just be someone who doesn't like POS mags. :tongueout:

MrM4Guy
01-29-2012, 08:14
HA! Yup, besides, when do only " True operators " are forced to defend themselves or their family?