reloaded ammo with a few malfunctions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : reloaded ammo with a few malfunctions

win
01-16-2012, 15:19
I was at the range today.
I took my smith 5906, feg hi power, m&p 9, glock 27 w/9mm lwd conversion barrel.
I shot the same ammo in all the guns. It was a 124grain lead RN bullet, WSL powder with a charge of 3.7 grains.
The 5906 and hi power worked perfectly. no issues at all.
The m&p fullsize 9mm had several failure to feeds. some stovepiped.
It also never locked the slide back after last round.
Glock had same problems just not as offen.
These are my reloads. I was just wondering if my powder charge was to weak. Although they shot really nice. The bullets where called round noise but the where shaped more like a triangle.
thanks for any thoughts

shotgunred
01-16-2012, 15:55
It was a 124grain lead RN bullet, WSL powder with a charge of 3.7 grains.
I am going to assume you meant Winchester Super Field.
A charge of 3.9 makes minor in my glock.

Never locking the slide back after last round would means a light load.
The m&p fullsize 9mm had several failure to feeds. some stovepiped.There is no way 3.7 should cause a stovepipe. I think you need to start by verifying your load. Then if it right bump it up .2 grains and test again.

Having said all that I would also say WSF really isn't the best powder choice for bunny fart loads. You should look at a faster burning powder( 231, WST or even tightgroup).

thorn137
01-16-2012, 16:03
Checking some old notes when I was working up a load:

Berry's 9mm plated, 124gr
1.155 OAL
Mixed Brass
Walther P99

WSF:
4.0gr - all stovepipes
4.2gr - 50% stovepipes
4.4gr - no failures
4.6gr - no failures, nice load

No notes on how many I fired of each. Was either 5 or 10 of each recipe.

thorn

ColoCG
01-16-2012, 16:16
The OP could be using WSL Winchester Super Light powder it's a litle faster than Unique.:dunno:

win
01-16-2012, 16:25
Ok that kinda what I thought. Any idea how it worked in the 2 guns? These 2 guns where bought used and the hi power has had lots of rounds through it. 5906 looks almost unfired, but has to be because is has carry marks.
glock was a le trade in gun. but the lwd barrel is almost new/ 500 rounds or less.
the m&p may have 500 rounds or so down it.
I double checked WSL3 is what is on the jug. It is very old. My book says 3.4 to 3.8 for the 124 lrn.
The only gun I recall have an issue with was the m&p9c.
I never shot the very pointed bullet. I though last time they shot in the g35 with 9mm barrel. will have to take it out again.
I am almost out of this powder. What should I look at getting for 9mm.
I also load 40, 45acp, 45gap. Probably cann't get something for all.

ColoCG
01-16-2012, 16:36
231, Unique, WSF, and Universal should work fine in all of those calibers depending on what kind of loads you want.

win
01-16-2012, 16:39
I like them mild. I am not into hot rounds.

ColoCG
01-16-2012, 16:44
231/HP38 are the same powder should work fine for you. Another good powder would be WST, but there is not a lot of data around for some loads. Unique, WSF, and Universal are more for mid range loads on up, but very good powders.

win
01-16-2012, 16:46
I should have asked this. Are they clean powders? or as clean as you can get.

ColoCG
01-16-2012, 16:52
Depends on your particular load. I have never worried about whether a load is clean or not. I clean my guns when I am done shooting anyway. WST is probably the cleanest of the bunch but as I said not a lot of data out there for it.

fredj338
01-16-2012, 18:26
WSL is a bit slower than W231 & a bit faster than WSF. Your load would be at or near starting data for that bullet. At 4.1gr-4.2gr, things should run pretty smooth. IME, starting data almost never gives 100% reliable feeding. You would want to come up 1/10th of a grain from average starting data & build from there in 1/10gr increments, 5rds each.
Since WSL is no longer made, if you want to stay w/ Win powders, WSF is a really good choice for midrange to full power loads. For light target loads W231 would be better. I prefer WST, a bit faster still, but almost no data & noobs should use published data until they have the exp to go off the books IMO.