:supergrin:

http://www.lbcflint.org/cjs/images/photo-KIMBER1.JPG

http://www.lbcflint.org/cjs/images/photo-KIMBER2.JPG

faawrenchbndr
01-16-2012, 18:09
Congrats! :thumbsup:

Hootus
01-16-2012, 18:09
Enjoy. I did have to do a minor tweak or two with mine and pour a few rounds through it to get it trustworthy (which is frustrating considering how much the thing costs). It is now 100% reliable for nearly a thousand rounds so far of SWC handloads and various factory JHPs. It is just as comfortable and nearly as concealable as my G26 in a Crossbreed Supertuck and has now replaced the G26 as my primary concealed carry piece.

Nicko
01-16-2012, 18:13
Beauty. Congrats

ca survivor
01-17-2012, 08:31
Enjoy. I did have to do a minor tweak or two with mine and pour a few rounds through it to get it trustworthy (which is frustrating considering how much the thing costs). It is now 100% reliable for nearly a thousand rounds so far of SWC handloads and various factory JHPs. It is just as comfortable and nearly as concealable as my G26 in a Crossbreed Supertuck and has now replaced the G26 as my primary concealed carry piece.
Please what did you tweak ? my Dr, just got one and we can't get one mag full without a jam, only in 150 rds down, so far. thanks

Hootus
01-17-2012, 13:40
Please what did you tweak ? my Dr, just got one and we can't get one mag full without a jam, only in 150 rds down, so far. thanks

I had run about 250 rounds through my Kimber when I did all that I describe below. The owners manual does state that it needs breaking in for about that many rounds... the observation can be made that maybe I got impatient and should have waited it out a couple hundred more rounds (however I couldn’t justify spending even more money on ammo without knowing if it would do any good). I can say that when I tweaked it with the steps below it resulted in an immediate change; from several FTFs to none at all, so I know I helped it by doing what I did.

I did three things all at once; I now wish I had done one at a time to better ascertain which helped the situation the most. All told I spent less than a hundred dollars to fix it, but it might have cost almost nothing. I’ll start with the cheapest fix I did and follow with the rest.

The problem I was encountering with my Ultra was a failure to feed problem. The rounds were hanging halfway up the barrel feed ramp throat. My goal was to help the rounds slide up the throat more easily. I noticed that the throat was not polished well at all – I have a $300 LCP with a throat much smoother than the one on my Kimber. I got a 7/16” wooden dowel rod, wrapped it in some emery cloth, and polished the throat to a mirror smooth finish. I did NOT take any metal off or change the properties/angle of the throat at all except to simply polish it very smooth. Thinking back, this may have been all it needed. Total cost was less than $4 for the dowel and fine grit sandpaper/emery cloth.

Next, thinking that it would help if I pushed the rounds up the ramp with a little more oomph, I installed a set of stiffer Wolff recoil springs. The Ultra already comes with 18lb springs; the Wolffs are 21lbs. Cost of that mod was only $20 or so, but be forwarned: changing out that inner recoil spring is a real mutherbear. Here’s a link with instructions:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=271754 (http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=271754)

It was a real adventure changing that inner recoil spring. I cussed more during that one job than I have in the past year.

Lastly, I kept hearing how lousy the stock Kimber magazines were so I bought some Wilson magazines. They are not cheap, but there’s no denying the difference in quality between them and the basic Kimber mag that came with the pistol.

With the ramp/throat polish, new Wolff springs, and Wilson mags it has never hiccuped once since then. Regarding the magazines I do have to say that the stock Kimber mag has never jammed since then either, so buying the Wilsons may have not been needed to fix the problem, though I use them now anyway because they are better.

Hope that helps. If your throat is a rough as mine was I'd start with a simple polish and see if that does the trick.

bac1023
01-17-2012, 17:45
Congrats! :cool:

glock2740
01-17-2012, 17:48
Congrats!

ca survivor
01-17-2012, 19:14
thanks Hootos, I will try the polishing, but not been my gun ???, he wants to fire all 500 rds as per the manual, but is not easy the way it is now.... :rofl:

TTM65
01-17-2012, 19:40
Another thought for Kimber owners with this issue. I have found that the breech face is a bit soft and becomes rough with use. Polishing the breech face with a fine stone will cure this problem.

Pierre!
01-17-2012, 19:50
Nice looking Ultra CDP!

I have the 'mid sized' (Officer's) model and I *love* it!

Now you have me thinking that I also need an Ultra CDP.

I have an Ultra, but it doesn't look like that...

Kimber really did a great job making the Black really BLACK on yours.

You should be able to shoot eggs at 25 yrds with that bad boy... I do it all the time with my 3" .45 Ultra! :supergrin: Sweet Shooter the Ultra.

Enjoy it!
Patrick

GOOFA
01-18-2012, 02:23
Congrats, also.

pilsbury
01-18-2012, 05:33
One of my favorites, congrats on a great gun.

fasteddie565
01-18-2012, 07:34
The Utra CDP was my first new in the box Kimber. It is also where I perfected this patented Kimber Upgrade technique. Its patented so don't tell anyone else about it. :rofl:

All Kimbers start as the same gun. They then go to receive whatever treatment (kimpro) etc. andadditional machining, tumbling etc

That said, when you have a gun like the Ultra CDP with and without Kimpro coating on the components, it sometimes requires this treatment.

Disassemble the gun and get some plain white colgate toothpaste. Put a few dabs along the slide and the frame, reassemble.

Work the action 247 times. The toothpaste will start to gum up and turn grey. Don't go to 249, 248 strokes is the most you should go. :shocked:

Disassemble and wipe the gun clean. You will see some points on the frame (or whatever part has the coating) where it is wearing away. For guns like the Raptors and the SIS, I repeat this process twice. Once complete, clean the gun thoroughly with a damp cloth, dry, lubricate with some frog lube or gun butter, reassemble and test fire.

I developed this highly effective technique with my first Pro Raptor (Both components with KimPro) I did it to my Ultra CDP and to all three of my Super Carries and my Aegis. No silly 300 round break in period either.

The only Kimber out of about 12 or so that I have owned that this technique did not improve to 99.999% reliability was my Ultra Super Carry. It needed a few passes with a file on the slide stop and now its my go to EDC.

Remember this is patented so do not tell anyone else. :upeyes:

fasteddie565
01-18-2012, 07:36

Try the above before you start to sand on the barrel.

Getwild2
01-18-2012, 21:15
Thanks for the suggestions and compliments guys! :D