OT - double barrel with damascus barrels - safe? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OT - double barrel with damascus barrels - safe?

tnstaafl
01-16-2012, 17:55
I'm looking at a double-barreled shotgun with Damascus barrels - a New Worcester hammerless - I've recently read that there are concerns about shooting these guns because of the barrels - they might fail, explode, whatever - any thoughts?? THANKS!

Buffering
01-16-2012, 17:57
Damascus barrels weren't made for modern ammo.

Enjoy that shotgun as a wallflower or a safe queen.

tnstaafl
01-16-2012, 18:09
Thanks for the guidance - what concerns me is that the guy that's offering the gun for sale describes it as a shooter. I'm gonna pass . . .

Buffering
01-16-2012, 18:13
Modern smokeless powder is a no-no in Damascus barreled shotguns much like Michael Jackson babysitting kids.

tnstaafl
01-16-2012, 18:45
LOL - never thought I'd run into MJ here !! Coincidentally, there's another double barrel I'm looking at, a Belgian, which doesn't say anything about Damascus barrels, but it does say "proved for smokeless powder" - the guy advertises it as a shooter, too.

tnstaafl
01-17-2012, 08:32
Well, it looks like I'm the proud owner of the gun - shame on me, but I bid on it without knowing all the specifics of Damascus barrels - my bad, and a relatively inexpensive learning experience - I may try and see about having the barrels inspected and then try and find some low-power rounds - or I may turn it around and sell it, with full disclosure about the Damascus barrels, of course. I am still looking for a double-barreled shotgun that I can turn into a SBS, after getting right with the ATF. There's another double-barreled shotgun for sale (same site and same guy), but this one is described as having steel barrels and Belgium - shouldn't be any problems with this one, huh? THANKS!