Melted mag follower...frustrated [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Melted mag follower...frustrated

sprayswithaks
01-17-2012, 00:59
It's all my fault, i was being an idiot:steamed:

I completely disassembled my rem 870 and proceeded to spray everything down with brake cleaner...except i forgot to remove the follower. So now i have a half melted follower and a mag tube with the inside covered in now hardened plastic chunks...

Anyone know where i can get a new follower? Also how would one remove the crap from inside the mag tube? Finish it off with brake cleaner until it all melts away?

I hate cheap plastic garbage....

DWARREN123
01-17-2012, 01:19
Probably clean with bore brush of same gauge. Check Brownell's for replacement. :supergrin:

sprayswithaks
01-17-2012, 02:06
Probably clean with bore brush of same gauge. Check Brownell's for replacement. :supergrin:

It's a 12 gauge, i used my 12 gauge bore brush but the mag tube it bigger, the brush doesnt contact the sides

aippi
01-17-2012, 08:37
Punch it out with a wooden dowel. The wrap that dowel with steel wool and put it in a drill and polish out the mag tube. You can see this rod on www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com) on the red link "Install and Cleaning"

I use Cyclo Parts and Break Cleaner by the case and have never damaged any part. Not sure what you may have used to melt a follower but want to know what brand.

sprayswithaks
01-17-2012, 10:26
Punch it out with a wooden dowel. The wrap that dowel with steel wool and put it in a drill and polish out the mag tube. You can see this rod on www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com) on the red link "Install and Cleaning"

I use Cyclo Parts and Break Cleaner by the case and have never damaged any part. Not sure what you may have used to melt a follower but want to know what brand.

Thanks, i'll give that a shot. It was napa brake parts cleaner in a blue can.

m2hmghb
01-17-2012, 16:00
old fashioned way is to take a 12 guage brush and wrap it with copper choire boy scrubbing pad. Another way is to put a patch on an old brush and use that.

Rob72
01-25-2012, 10:50
Get a stainless or aluminum follower. At the least, get the Wilson/SGT "limey" (big green synthetic). Remington factory followers are prone to splitting, dissolving, and general failure.