Jack Ross Reloads?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Jack Ross Reloads??

CrookCounty
01-17-2012, 15:16
Just found out about Jack Ross Reloads and at $171 shipped for 1000 rounds this looks VERY VERY tempting to get my ammo from them for the range...BUT I have not heard of them before. Anyone here want to give me a review on this ammo? I figured for the price someone had to of used them before. Only found 1 or 2 online reviews about them so not much info.

Currently I shoot WWB and Federal at the range so as long as it is this quality at least I am ok with buying it for range practice.

Thanks!!

jknight8907
01-17-2012, 15:25
Doesn't Walmart carry 9mm for $9/50? His prices are pretty good, but his $25 shipping is ridiculous.

Google did turn up quite a few good reviews of his ammo, though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

CrookCounty
01-17-2012, 15:31
Doesn't Walmart carry 9mm for $9/50? His prices are pretty good, but his $25 shipping is ridiculous.

Google did turn up quite a few good reviews of his ammo, though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

It says $25 but rings up $12.50 when you check out

Walmart does federal for $22 (after tax) for 100 rounds so that is .22 per round. If Jack Ross is good then I can get it down to .17 per round. That save .05c for every shot which adds up fast!

Edit:
Shipping charges add +12.50 for every case you put in the cart, so yes 1 case is $12.50 and 2 cases are $25 total etc...

fredj338
01-17-2012, 16:00
Well me, I don;t shoot other peoples reloads. Unless the manuf is big time & carries liabilty ins for his product, it's foolish IMO. My handloads or big manuf like BlackHills or Georgia Arms.

collim1
01-17-2012, 18:06
Can you buy a box or two first to try it out? I would never buy 1k rounds of something I have never shot before.

Generally I buy two boxes of something to try it out, then if it works I will come back and buy in bulk.

The only reloads I have experience with is Zero, which is good ammo, and loaded hot.

CrookCounty
01-17-2012, 19:06
Can you buy a box or two first to try it out? I would never buy 1k rounds of something I have never shot before.

Generally I buy two boxes of something to try it out, then if it works I will come back and buy in bulk.

The only reloads I have experience with is Zero, which is good ammo, and loaded hot.

I thought about that, just buying a box and trying them out BUT the problem is they charge almost as much to ship 1 box as they do to ship 20. It came up $10.37 for 1 box and $12.50 for a case.

I was really hoping that someone on here could vouch for this guys ammo but I guess I will have to stick with the .22c per round and keep buying at walmart :crying: Was excited about possibly getting my ammo cost down...DAMN IT!

WiskyT
01-17-2012, 19:14
I thought about that, just buying a box and trying them out BUT the problem is they charge almost as much to ship 1 box as they do to ship 20. It came up $10.37 for 1 box and $12.50 for a case.

I was really hoping that someone on here could vouch for this guys ammo but I guess I will have to stick with the .22c per round and keep buying at walmart :crying: Was excited about possibly getting my ammo cost down...DAMN IT!

Reload your own ammo, then you will know it's good.

CrookCounty
01-17-2012, 20:37
Reload your own ammo, then you will know it's good.

Cant afford the machines yet...sooner or later I would love to

WiskyT
01-17-2012, 20:41
Cant afford the machines yet...sooner or later I would love to

You can't afford not to. $100.00 buys you a Lee single stage, a set of dies, a reloading manual, and a loading block. You'll recoup your investment in the first 1000 rounds of ammo you load, the quality will be known first rate stuff, and you'll add a new dimension to your sport.

CrookCounty
01-17-2012, 22:30
You can't afford not to. $100.00 buys you a Lee single stage, a set of dies, a reloading manual, and a loading block. You'll recoup your investment in the first 1000 rounds of ammo you load, the quality will be known first rate stuff, and you'll add a new dimension to your sport.

Hmm i guess i never looked into the single stage ones, only the progressive ones. I guess it is something to look into, and thanks for the info.

total noob to this but just how safe is it reloading your own ammo...I guess I can search this but since we are on the subject I might as well ask

beside overloading any other dangers?

jknight8907
01-17-2012, 22:36
Hmm i guess i never looked into the single stage ones, only the progressive ones. I guess it is something to look into, and thanks for the info.

total noob to this but just how safe is it reloading your own ammo...I guess I can search this but since we are on the subject I might as well ask

I started with a turret press, which is in the $150 range. Much faster than a single stage but still simple and hard to mess up unless you're an idiot. It's really very simple if you can follow a basic routine and have some level of attention to detail. If you use specific powders, you don't even have to worry about a double charge. I use Herco or Blue Dot for .40 S&W, and a double charge would overflow out of the case....no way to mess it up without knowing.

CrookCounty
01-17-2012, 22:39
I started with a turret press, which is in the $150 range. Much faster than a single stage but still simple and hard to mess up unless you're an idiot. It's really very simple if you can follow a basic routine and have some level of attention to detail. If you use specific powders, you don't even have to worry about a double charge. I use Herco or Blue Dot for .40 S&W, and a double charge would overflow out of the case....no way to mess it up without knowing.

OK thats good to know...thanks for the info.

I love the additional dimension to the sport...this is the same way I started home brewing...I always want to know more and learn how things are done...beer was my hobby so i started making it to learn as much as i could about it...but then again beer is a lot less dangerous than reloading I guess :supergrin:

fredj338
01-17-2012, 23:10

If you can't follow directions or pay attention, then reloading is not safe. If you can, then you can easily shoot for 1/2 the cost of buying factory & you KNOW what you are shooting. Safer than shooting unknown reloaded ammo.:shocked:
but then again beer is a lot less dangerous than reloading I guess
Either used improperly will get you in all kinds of trouble, ask Jack.

WiskyT
01-18-2012, 13:07

Yeah, the Turret would be a better bet if he has the money. I just wanted to give him a bare bones look at it.

WiskyT
01-18-2012, 13:12

Get a manual first. Hornady, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, or ABC's of reloading. It will cost you about $20.00, maybe less. You can buy the "previous" version used for real cheap and it will be just as good since the process hasn't changed since metalic cartridges were put into use. In other words, you can buy a "Speer #13" cheap since the current manual is "Speer 14".

Any one of those books will have all you need to know about reloading in them, and none of the stuff you don't need to know. There are a lot of wive's tales in reloading. Most are harmless but wasteful of time and money, some are dangerous. YouTube videos are fine to satisfy curiosity, but that's all they are good for, use a manual to actually teach you what to do.

CrookCounty
01-18-2012, 15:15
Thanks all for the advice....I will start looking it!

RMTactical
01-19-2012, 00:17
It's good ammo.

the_rain_maker
01-25-2012, 21:41
Hello all! I'm new to this and felt the need to make a thorough review about Jack Ross Ammo out of Nevada.
I ordered 1,000 reloads 9mm for $171.50 shipped to my door back on Dec 30. After 17 days I received a phone call from the CEO of Jack Ross, Chris Parker. He stated that they were swamped with orders and said he'd like to send me new instead of reloads because of the extended wait. I said sure! I asked what was the quality difference between the reloads and new and he stated very very little. Wanting to try the reloads, I was pleased he offered to send new. A+ customer service.
Now to the ammo itself. I fed about 200 rds of ammo through a Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 26 Gen 4, and Springfield EMP. Yes, both Glocks had the newest springs(043) and ejectors(30274) I believe. Let me say, HOLY CRAP! This stuff is HOT!!! Never felt standard 9mm like that. This made WWB, Federal, BVAC(reloads), Monarch brass(Academy), etc look extremely week. I don't know what they put in them but I like :D. More kick, more recoil, more pop, more flash, more bang :) I would randomly mix ammo in a 15 rd mag and could tell which was Jack every time. Felt like I was shooting a .40 nearly. I recovered most all the casings and all looked perfect. No cracks, swells, splits, looked all reload-able. The head stamps they use are cool too. My only "complaint" or "concern is the bullet looks slightly pressed deeper into the casing than usual. Comparing to other brands, Jack was consistently, very slightly shorter. Does it matter? You tell me lol. Also, the 50 rd boxes themselves say fmj but the case box says total metal. Which is it? 100% cycled with no problems. Inspected all 3 guns thoroughly, no damage. Will I buy again? Of course! From what I've heard they are still behind so order ahead of time and you'll get it. I'm all for small business and will be a returning customer seeing the price is killer. I couldn't find many reviews on Jack so I hope this helps some make a decision and hopefully I have violated any "piracy" or policies with my review. If any further questions, just ask :wavey: