help me build my long slide. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : help me build my long slide.

ctious
01-17-2012, 17:47
Where would i find the best deal on building a long slide? I hit up lone wolf but the end price seemed a lil high. Who else builds a complete package? Looking to have a rmr milled in. Maybe a comp on it also. I seen the one that was just done with the flush look. Really I want to build one just like that. Not sure if that is possible though. I think the builder did some of the work himself.

Post here or pm. Want to get it all done hopefully in the next 2 months.

Ethereal Killer
01-17-2012, 21:27
Still working on mine. If you are not prepared to spend at least $2200 for the package all total, stop now and move on with your life. :)

ctious
01-17-2012, 21:30
I was looking to spend 1200 or 1300 for the slide complete.

21Carrier
01-17-2012, 21:50
You might be able to get the slide done like Boba Debt's for about $1200 (what he paid), but I doubt it. I think he got some deals, but I'm not sure. And I'm not sure if that $1200 he quoted included the sight. Here's what you should do. First, just build the gun. Get the slide, barrel, RSA, internals, and regular Glock 20 polymer sights. That's what I have, and the gun is awesome. Then, you can save up and do the red dot and comp in stages.

Once you shoot the gun, you'll likely find that the comp is not necessary. It would certainly add some wicked looks (Boba's G20L is about the baddest Glock I've ever seen), and maybe help some with recoil, but the gun is a serious shooter as it is. Recoil with nuclear loads (135gr @ 1750fps) was no worse than my G21SF with .45ACP+P rounds. It's pretty amazing. That heavy slide just eats up the recoil like you wouldn't believe. Also, mine is insanely accurate, even with the stock polymer sights. I was shooting 2-liter water jugs at ~70 yards, and hitting them with ease. Once I got dialed in, I hit a 12oz. glass Coke bottle and beer can on the first shot.

I would highly recommend just building the standard gun, get it shooting, then go from there. I love mine. Also, if you're not willing to blow some money on it, don't waste your time. It's gonna cost you, and you'll never get half of the money back out of it.

I'm going to send mine off soon for refinishing. I still haven't decided on the color. It's going to CCR, but I'm not sure if it will be CPII, Tri-tanium, or House Black. Here's what you could build for about $450 (if you already have the frame):

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/G20LS%20Pictures/IMG_1937.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/G20LS%20Pictures/IMG_1936.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/G20LS%20Pictures/IMG_1934.jpg

Ethereal Killer
01-17-2012, 22:25
In addition to the above considerations, you will have to go into the project with the realization that you are building a pistol that goes beyond the design considerations of the stock gun.

this means that there will be a certain amount of testing and adjusting and parts swapping and tweaking that will HAVE to go on before the gun is reliable. It's NOT gonna be a plug and play proposition.

21's barrel needs to go back, and I am getting a slide swapped and my barrel checked, then mine comes back for testing and proofing before I send mine off to get melted for the RDS.

It's all happening in stages and it will have at least 1000 various types of rounds thru it before I give it the go-ahead, both factory and reloads, hot and mild.

It's just not a cheap proposition and you can count on it taking close to 6 months to a year to get dialed in.

Lone wolf is about as good a price as you are gonna get for a package, and using one source will save shipping costs and ensure continuity. If you are choking on LWD, maybe this aint for you.

If you want to do it, go ahead and spend the extra couple hundred bucks. That way you wont be nickel and diming yourself to death for all eternity.

I think you should be able to get it done in your budget tho, but the RDS you choose is gonna be a big factor.

ctious
01-17-2012, 22:30
Lone wolf price they gave me via email was way above the posted prices of the site. That was where I was shocked. Not sure if the guy that put my quote together messed up or what. But the quote in the email is about 400 more than me clicking on what i need on the site. That is where the price kicked me. Not that the quote was more than I want to spend.

I am building this for mostly hunting. So I am not worried if it has the occasional cycling issue. I have a g20sf already with a 6in barrel. I like it but want to take it to the next level.

Ethereal Killer
01-17-2012, 22:33
Mine was $717 with tritium suppressor sights assembled and tested.

Wonder if they were adding in prices for a melt or a RDS? sounds like something got screwed up. call them and talk to dan the sales guy with your list

21Carrier
01-17-2012, 22:40
Lone wolf price they gave me via email was way above the posted prices of the site. That was where I was shocked. Not sure if the guy that put my quote together messed up or what. But the quote in the email is about 400 more than me clicking on what i need on the site. That is where the price kicked me. Not that the quote was more than I want to spend.

I am building this for mostly hunting. So I am not worried if it has the occasional cycling issue. I have a g20sf already with a 6in barrel. I like it but want to take it to the next level.

If that's your intended use, I would just order the parts, but with a Glock barrel. There's no reason to have LWD do it unless you want it all done at once. I got a LWD barrel, but wish I had gotten the Glock barrel. I keep meaning to order one, but I keep buying other stuff instead. Ethereal Killer is right that you should expect to do some tweaking. However, if you go with the Glock barrel, I think you can expect it to be good right away. Mine has only jammed once with the LWD barrel in about 1500 rounds, and it was pretty dirty. However, my LWD barrel is not like most barrels. The barrel they sent me has a very generous chamber in the feed ramp area (someone clearly rounded off the bottom edge, and opened it up a bit). The support is no better than the stock Glock barrels. That's what Ethereal Killer meant about me sending back the barrel. I'm now considering just keeping the LWD barrel for shooting lead.

Anyway, just so you know, mine was perfect out of the box. Just be aware that yours may require some chamber work depending on the barrel you get. The Glock barrel would be the way to go in my opinion. You should have no problem hunting with a gun just like mine. That red dot would be bad ass, though.

Also, LWD is probably charging you all that extra for labor. If you included a red dot and mounting, etc., then I'm sure that's where the extra came in.

ctious
01-17-2012, 22:41
700 or so Is where i came up with on the site as well. I will email him back and have him go over it again. I want to build the slide so that I can just slide it on when I am going to go hunting. And use my stock slide when i want to carry.

ctious
01-17-2012, 22:44
If that's your intended use, I would just order the parts, but with a Glock barrel. There's no reason to have LWD do it unless you want it all done at once. I got a LWD barrel, but wish I had gotten the Glock barrel. I keep meaning to order one, but I keep buying other stuff instead. Ethereal Killer is right that you should expect to do some tweaking. However, if you go with the Glock barrel, I think you can expect it to be good right away. Mine has only jammed once with the LWD barrel in about 1500 rounds, and it was pretty dirty. However, my LWD barrel is not like most barrels. The barrel they sent me has a very generous chamber in the feed ramp area. The support is no better than the stock Glock barrels. That's what Ethereal Killer meant about me sending back the barrel. I'm now considering just keeping the LWD barrel for shooting lead.

Anyway, just so you know, mine was perfect out of the box. Just be aware that yours may require some chamber work depending on the barrel you get. The Glock barrel would be the way to go in my opinion. You should have no problem hunting with a gun just like mine. That red dot would be bad ass, though.

Also, LWD is probably charging you all that extra for labor. If you included a red dot and mounting, etc., then I'm sure that's where the extra came in.

I have a lone wolf barrel in it now in the 6 inch. Mine has way more support than my stock Glock one. It shoots great with no fedding problems once I polished the ramp.

Shot 2 deer with it this year also. I think the red dot will be perfect for hunting

Ethereal Killer
01-17-2012, 23:15
LWD may have done something to their barrels recently. I think they are getting some new ones in with the slides they have on order.

If I were to do it again, I would very seriously at the Storm Lake barrels.

I wonder if LWD got a bad batch of barrels and slides in and had to do some "tweaking" with a dremel before they were GTG. that may account for what 21 saw with his, and some extraneous grinding on parts of my upper.

Oh, to have them assemble and test my upper it was $25. well worth it in my book. PLUS you could always send it back and say "Hey, something is not right" if there is a systemic problem.

One other point I would raise is that it's a known problem for stock glock barrels to stabilize the heavy 220-230gr hard cast lead loads. If you have ANY intention of shooting these or any amount of lead, you would probably be well served to use a barrel with cut rifling instead of the polygonal glock style.