The perfect gun: [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The perfect gun:

21Carrier
01-17-2012, 22:17
I know this is a totally pointless thread, but I don't care. After recently expanding my collection with my G20LS, Delta Elite, and LC9, I have come to a realization. My Glock 29 is the perfect gun. To me, there really is no better gun, and no one will ever convince me otherwise. Sure, the LC9 is easier to carry, but I can carry the G29 24/7, and have for almost a year. I just can't believe that such an amazing gun exists, but is so under-appreciated. I am almost certain the G29 is Glock's worst selling model. It's really a shame.

Here's why it's perfect:
-It costs $500-550 (at that price, why not get two?)
-It's chambered in the amazing 10mm
-You get 10+1 rounds of anything from .40S&W to 800ft-lbs of energy, or 15+1 with G20 mags
-It's more than capable of human SD
-It's a capable woods SD weapon
-You can hunt with it
-It's accurate
-It's dead reliable
-Lube's not even necessary (but still advisable)
-You could mud-wrestle with it and it would still work (that's for you Kegs)
-It's cheap and easy to replace
-You can shoot .40S&W, .357SIG, or 9x25 Dillon with just a barrel
-It's tougher than nails
-You can replace ANY part on the gun in the field with a damn stick
-It fits my hand as if Glock used my hand as the model (especially with Pearce +0 extensions)
-Did I mention it's chambered in 10mm?

I'm sure there are some things I missed, but to me, it just doesn't get any better. I love my other guns, but they will always play second fiddle to the G29. I really can't imagine a better gun. I can't wait to get a Gen4 G29! All hail the Glock 29!!!

Opie 1 Kenopie
01-17-2012, 22:57
100% agree. And I've recently thought about posting A gushing love story about my 29SF, so you're not that crazy 21. The perfect pistol I think.

Ethereal Killer
01-17-2012, 23:08
Dont have one, but keep asking to hold them at the store. there is something about them that is different and I do like it.

arushus
01-18-2012, 00:56
Nice write up carrier!

Any idea what you'll be getting your 29 for valentines day?

Sherlock Glock
01-18-2012, 05:59
SUPER THREAD :wavey:
One additional reason the G29SF is great. The factory dual spring guide rod is the best of all the glocks. ( I have owned every glock model except the 380's & G18.) My son and I both carry the G29sf.

dryfly
01-18-2012, 06:33
Nice write up carrier!

Funny

10-acious
01-18-2012, 07:00
I know this is a totally pointless thread, but I don't care. After recently expanding my collection with my G20LS, Delta Elite, and LC9, I have come to a realization. My Glock 29 is the perfect gun. To me, there really is no better gun, and no one will ever convince me otherwise. Sure, the LC9 is easier to carry, but I can carry the G29 24/7, and have for almost a year. I just can't believe that such an amazing gun exists, but is so under-appreciated. I am almost certain the G29 is Glock's worst selling model. It's really a shame.

Here's why it's perfect:
-You get 10+1 rounds of anything from .40S&W to 800ft-lbs of energy, or 15+1 with G20 mags
-You can hunt with it
-It's accurate
-It's dead reliable
-It's tougher than nails
-It fits my hand as if Glock used my hand as the model (especially with Pearce +0 extensions)

I'm sure there are some things I missed, but to me, it just doesn't get any better. I love my other guns, but they will always play second fiddle to the G29. I really can't imagine a better gun. I can't wait to get a Gen4 G29! All hail the Glock 29!!!

After coming to my senses, yours are some of the reasons I decided to keep mine. :cool: Thanks for sharing.

dpadams6
01-18-2012, 07:27

Here's why it's perfect:
-You can hunt with it
-It's accurate
-It's dead reliable
-It's tougher than nails

What ammo do you use in your carry gun? Do you use the factory recoil spring or an aftermarket heavier one? I know many on here switch to the wolff 21lb spring in the 29

Taterhead
01-18-2012, 10:29
Nice write up carrier!

That is funny.

Some Gold Dot blossoms are always nice.

cablecutter
01-18-2012, 11:12
I have to second or third or forth everyones comments... the G29 is THE Glock's to have. now only if the gen 4 would come out :whistling:

9jeeps
01-18-2012, 11:28
Ditto here... Studied 10mm for a long time before purchasing. After deciding, all I had to do was to find the right delivery system. About then Glock introduced the 29. Wife finally found me on just in time for my B-day. Zowie!!!!

arushus
01-18-2012, 12:16
9jeeps, where did you get that picture in your avatar? Id like to have it on my computer.

cablecutter
01-18-2012, 13:11
since we are on the subject of the G29 ... who makes extended barrels for them that are not ported?

deadandgone
01-18-2012, 15:01
My g29 is my gun, set up just like I want it....and it will stop any creature my side of the Mississippi, and I can conceal it most times, but I must admit, in the summer, it can be difficult to conceal....then I put it in a Tommy's gun pak fanny pak...It is all good with my g29.

_The_Shadow
01-18-2012, 15:07
I don't know if I could agree with this perfect gun idea!
But Shadow carries this mighty little ballistic blaster...
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j441/_The_Shadow/IMG_0336.jpg

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j441/_The_Shadow/IMG_0334.jpg

deathpriest
01-18-2012, 16:28
I've been eyeing the G20 for a while now. Shooting 40 out of the same gun with just a barrel swap... I did not realize that! When the Gen4 coming?

Taterhead
01-18-2012, 16:45

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j441/_The_Shadow/IMG_0334.jpg

I love these pics. They could be enlarged and hung on the wall of the reloading room.

A G29 will be owned by me someday. It is on my short list after getting through a couple of other projects.

Kegs
01-18-2012, 17:12
I've said it many times, it cannot be beat all things considered.

_The_Shadow
01-18-2012, 17:40
The only thing I can think as an addition to mine would be a very nice longslide conversion for the G-29...I know they make the LS for the G-20. But a LS for the G-29 with long barrels threaded to accept comps or cans would be the abolute best addition I would consider adding to this perfect package!

My reason for this is that the barrel lugs of the G-29 I believe work better than the G-20 setup so I feel the mass of the long slide would actully work even better!

Oh yea and the extra capacity magazines real work with this package as well!
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j441/_The_Shadow/IMG_0398.jpg

DeLo
01-18-2012, 19:25
Amen that's why I picked up my second SF at the start of the year.

DeLo
01-18-2012, 19:30
since we are on the subject of the G29 ... who makes extended barrels for them that are not ported?
KKM, just call them.

brausso
01-18-2012, 19:41
My G29 was my second hand gun purchase after my G20 sometime back in '97. It is my go to for everything and edc. Every once in a while I cheat with my G30 or G33 but I always go back to her.

inspectorjj
01-18-2012, 20:09
Great post Carrier. I just got out of my funk and purchased a G29 off Calguns for $500. You sure made me feel better about getting this little brother to my G20 Beast. Once I pick it up and shoot it, I will follow up on the proper post with photos.

Taterhead
01-18-2012, 20:38
Great post Carrier. I just got out of my funk and purchased a G29 off Calguns for $500. You sure made me feel better about getting this little brother to my G20 Beast. Once I pick it up and shoot it, I will follow up on the proper post with photos.

Sounds like things are picking up for you JJ. Great to hear that. Congratulations on the new addition.

_The_Shadow
01-18-2012, 21:14
I love these pics. They could be enlarged and hung on the wall of the reloading room.

A G29 will be owned by me someday. It is on my short list after getting through a couple of other projects.

Tater...I'm put these picture of mine up not to brag but to show what is possible from this versitile platform...being a handloader only helps to add to this flexibility! It is a great performer using each and every cartridge!
Therefore I'm merely using Carrier's post as the avenue to help others learn that pictures are worth a thousand words! Dollars [$$$] too! :wow:

purrrfect 10
01-18-2012, 21:42
I can't say enough about how thrilled I am to own my G20. Never did I think it would turn out to be such and awesome pistol. Just under a year old now I just love to shoot it and is my CCW. That said...It is my first Glock and I have to admit I'm totally hooked, doubtful I will ever buy any other brand again.

The wife started shooting with me and It is hard to get my turn, she love to shoot it as well. If you could see my wife just a little thing, i can't believe all the write ups I read of men that must squat complaining about recoil. Full house loads are still by far comfortable to shoot OK not shooting competition here guys and the split second extra to resight I could care less But getting better and better every week with the double taps they are hitting pretty damn close most of the time. Even my worst DT's would do the trick on any torso.

Sorry back to this thread I have been think about getting a G30 next just cause ya know the 45acp thing NOT HAPPENING I Will be buying a G29 for the wife and possible a second 29 for me. The Glock 10 mm is just a crazy awesome pistol with so many option. I'm finishing up My reload bench now and hope to be within a month or so have everything I need to Get the Dillon re-loader my son gave me rollin out the 10's, not in a rush I have been reading all I can researching and watching videos on reloading but I can't wait to get started.

:perfect10: The Purrrfect 10....all the way

Meathead9
01-18-2012, 22:44
I agree with you on the 10mm Glock part, but I have to say I think the G20 is the better gun for me. I seem to be alone here, but these are my reasons:

1. Longer stock barrel. I can get higher velocities without having to push as hard.

2. I prefer the full size grip, without having to add finger extensions or mag sleeves. It may just be my perception, but I feel WAY more confidence/control with a full grip.

3. 16rds (21rds with my Arredondo) of 10mm is the most power you can have with a practical auto loading pistol.

4. Longer sight radius

5. Simpler recoil spring assembly. It may not mean it's better, but I'm a big proponent of less moving parts. Plus I can use up to 24# springs (I know, what's 1# right?)

6. Believe it or not, I can actually conceal a G20 better than my G30SF w/9rd mags. I sold all my 9rd G30 mags because of this. My G20SF & GEN 4 G21 hide better in an MTAC under a T-Shirt, than my G30SF w/10rd mag, and the G30SF w/10rd mags hides better than it does with 9rd mags. For some reason that setup ALWAYS got caught up on my shirts, and printed way more. I've tried all kinds of holsters, from appendix carry to 5:30 position. I keep it 4:30-5:00 now.

7. As Mr. Shadow pointed out, there isn't a 6" Longslide for G29's, and likely never will be.

8. In the great words of the late Boris The Bullet Dodger aka Boris The Blade:
"Heavy is reliable... If it doesn't vork, you can always hit him vit it..." (Ofcourse, it's a Glock, so "not working" isn't really a concern, I just love that line...)

Don't get me wrong, the G29 is a great weapon. It's definitely accurate, extremely versatile, and packs a ton of power. I'll never say anything negative about 10mm, much less a 10mm Glock. I've learned more in The 10 Ring & 10mm Reloading Forum over the last few years than I have anywhere else.

arushus
01-18-2012, 23:11
Im up in the air as to which I think is truly better, but since I dont own a 29, I may have to give the edge to the 20...honestly though, Id have to say it is a toss up for me being as the better weapon really depends on the application...

leeward419
01-19-2012, 03:40
Damn it...! I had recently entered the world of 10mm with a new G20, after much research and reading here, now, and for reasons I cannot explain, I have not been able to stop thinking about anything but a G29!..good gosh, does it never end..... this Glock affliction!

gwsanfor
01-19-2012, 04:14

Here's why it's perfect:
-You can hunt with it
-It's accurate
-It's dead reliable
-It's tougher than nails

So G21Carrier, you going to change your screen name to G29Carrier? You have a lot of posts out there under G21Carrier, but then again, there is something to be said for truth in advertising. :wavey:

I think the G29 is on my Christmas list. I resisted 10mm a long time, and it's surprising how much I like it. The other good thing you left off your list is:

-Don't have to listen to smack talk from 1911 owners anymore

oceanbob
01-19-2012, 06:42
Yes indeed....21carrier is 100% correct. The Glock 29 is by far the best and most adaptable weapon on the planet. I plan on buying another one this year. I own 2 now, but both are OD Framed and I am not shooting them as much as I want (resale value). My 4 Glock 20s (2 OD, 2 Black and one is a LONGSLIDE on a 20SF I bought from Glockmeister).

I can't get enough of Glocks in 10MM.

I will be getting a new Glock 29SF in black and shooting the heck out of it.

Take care
Bob

This comment has been found in violation of H.R. 3261, S.O.P.A and has been edited for your safety. ██████ ███ ████████ love ███████ ███ ██ █ ███ your █████████ █████ ███████ ███ ██ █ government ██████ obey ██ ████ ██ ███ your █████ leaders.

nickE10mm
01-19-2012, 10:59
I prefer the G20SF but to each his own. The two (G20/29) aren't THAT different of pistols. Slight changes for each pistol. I prefer the G20 but the G29 is amazing for ALL the same reasons. :)

Good thread

IronRonin
01-19-2012, 20:02
I agree, which is why i have two 29SFs! I love mine, everytime i try to rationalize getting another handgun, i just ask myself if the G29 can do it, and the answer is always yes. I did put lots of time and thought into my handgun decision, so im glad that i cant argue buying a different one with myself :). I wear it ankle, low ab, iwb, owb, appendix....24/7 and everywhere. "My buddy, my buddy..." we is friends 'till the end!!!

gwsanfor
01-20-2012, 02:39
You know, I have a GSSF coupon and two more Glock Armorer discounts burning a hole in my pocket. I love this G20sf so much don't know if I can wait for Christmas for a G29, You guys are a bad, bad influence. :whistling:

_The_Shadow
01-20-2012, 09:27
You know, I have a GSSF coupon and two more Glock Armorer discounts burning a hole in my pocket. I love this G20sf so much don't know if I can wait for Christmas for a G29, You guys are a bad, bad influence. :whistling:

The 10mm cartridge in itself is a very powerful addictive influence!:wow:

I know this all too well as I look for the next aquisition...:faint:

blastfact
01-20-2012, 18:21
Damit 21,,, Your going to make me go buy one and use the PF-9 as a bug... GGRRRRRRR....

nickE10mm
01-20-2012, 19:32
Damit 21,,, Your going to make me go buy one and use the PF-9 as a bug... GGRRRRRRR....

He's gonna make ME buy one, too.... hmmmm gonna have to get a set of 9mm dies I guess

gofastman
01-20-2012, 21:57
well damn, now I need one!
(it's been on my list for a while)

nooner7
01-21-2012, 16:25
My first handgun was an HK .40,second a sig p220 45acp, and my third a glock 29sf for use while backpacking. The 10mm is my favorite :-D And I just bought a 21lb spring, some underwood ammo, and am considering an extended barrel from stormlake for hunting. Getting' addicted...

pizza_pablo
01-21-2012, 19:49
DANG-IT!!!
I thought I wanted a G20, next!
I have been holding out for a Gen 4.
I rationalized the G20, by thinking it would fill the full size gap left by the 23 and 27 and be able to shoot all those different rounds.
Truth be told, I was sure the acquisition of a G29 would result in the REPLACEMENT OF THE 27!

I WAS ALL GOOD... AND NOW THIS THREAD! :wow:

It sure is a good thing that the Gen 4 10mm are not out, yet, because...
now, I'm so confused! :rollingeyes:

:noevil:

:nutcheck:

and while I'm at it... :kilt: since I don't see ever having a legitimate reson to use him....

gwsanfor
01-22-2012, 03:10
DANG-IT!!!
I thought I wanted a G20, next!
I have been holding out for a Gen 4.
I rationalized the G20, by thinking it would fill the full size gap left by the 23 and 27 and be able to shoot all those different rounds.
Truth be told, I was sure the acquisition of a G29 would result in the REPLACEMENT OF THE 27!

I WAS ALL GOOD... AND NOW THIS THREAD! :wow:

It sure is a good thing that the Gen 4 10mm are not out, yet, because...
now, I'm so confused! :rollingeyes:

:noevil:

:nutcheck:

and while I'm at it... :kilt: since I don't see ever having a legitimate reson to use him....
Easy solution: Get a G20 and a G29, keep the G27. I love my G20sf like mothers love their children. The G29 will be like the little brother.

I'd sort of like to try a Gen4 10mm, but I'm concerned about aftermarket parts availability, and usually don't buy a new platform for a year or so. Gen3 works, so there it is.

pizza_pablo
01-24-2012, 12:20
Easy solution: Get a G20 and a G29, keep the G27. I love my G20sf like mothers love their children. The G29 will be like the little brother.

I'd sort of like to try a Gen4 10mm, but I'm concerned about aftermarket parts availability, and usually don't buy a new platform for a year or so. Gen3 works, so there it is.
I have read that the barrels are the same between Gen 3 and Gen 4. What other parts might I need? Recoil Springs? :dunno:

I feel like the Gen 4 20 will be good to go, because the 21 Gen 4 was.
It looks like we won't have to wait much longer...
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1394245

hawgrider
01-25-2012, 20:14
Y'all need to stop this I am weak and don't need another Glock much less another round all together. :wow:

_The_Shadow
01-25-2012, 20:59
I had a nice Ruger P-85 I bought from a SO deputy but I sold it to my B-I-L...I have the 9mm dies and mostly use them for my 9x25Dillon project.

A nice pocket piece can have some good uses as CCW!

Yondering
01-25-2012, 23:02
The only thing I can think as an addition to mine would be a very nice longslide conversion for the G-29...I know they make the LS for the G-20. But a LS for the G-29 with long barrels threaded to accept comps or cans would be the abolute best addition I would consider adding to this perfect package!

Shadow, like you said, nobody makes a long slide for the G29, but, you can "approximate" a long slide with the stock slide and a weight on an extended barrel. This is something I've been thinking about, but haven't done yet. The mechanics of it are sound though, and will work when done right, see what you think:

Find an extended and threaded barrel for the 29, whatever length you want. (Most gunsmiths should be able to thread an extended barrel, if you can't buy one that way.) Have a machinist make a barrel weight, or compensator, that mimics the slide profile, and extends back along the barrel to the slide. This may require some lightening cuts/holes to keep weight in the correct range, or make it out of aluminum. Have the comp/weight machined for a front sight, and remove the sight from the slide.

You get the long sight radius of a longslide this way, and if done right, the comp or weight can blend in to the slide pretty well. The one downside is having to remove it to get the barrel out of the slide.

I've drawn up one of these as a compensator in a CAD program, but it would be pretty easy to have it made without the comp.

Since the recoil forces act on the slide and barrel together at first, you'd have to watch the weight of the compensator, if it's too heavy it may not cycle. I don't know the difference in slide weight between a 20 and 29, but would use that number as a baseline.

_The_Shadow
01-26-2012, 06:55
Yondering, I understand the longer barrels in these little pistols and they work well, just look at Kegs and Carrier. Your CAD drawings sound like an interesting project, good luck with it. I just like the longslide appearance but think it would be neat on the G-29.There are many things that can be done as you mentioned to achieve the look or performance of the LS.

I have 4 aftermarket barrels already in stock length, that has been neat, but expensive project, considering the purchase of Dillon dies for the 357Sig and 9x25Dillon, but FUN!
For now, I have to wait till the barrels which I have being made for my S&W 10xx series are finished before I get on with my next project. Till then, I get to do some shooting.

oceanbob
02-09-2012, 21:08
This is such a good thread I had to bump it......sorrry....:embarassed:

21Carrier
02-10-2012, 15:18
Wow, I've been away for a while, and I can't believe this thread is still alive! I figured it wouldn't last a single day. I honestly didn't think it would get even ONE reply. I guess I underestimated the G29 love out there. To those on the fence, get one, you'll never regret it. I shot mine again today, and it was a blast, as usual.

What ammo do you use in your carry gun? Do you use the factory recoil spring or an aftermarket heavier one? I know many on here switch to the wolff 21lb spring in the 29

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I carry hand loaded 135gr Nosler JHPs doing about 1575fps. They usually chronograph anywhere from 1550-1600fps depending on the outside temp. My gun is 100% stock except for Heinie Straight Eight night sights and some stippling. I have a Wolff guide rod and 17lb, 21lb, and 23lb springs, but I don't use them anymore. The heavier springs cause the occasional FTFeed, and make recoil a good bit stiffer. In stock form, the gun just works 100%. The only REAL benefit that I ever saw from the stiffer springs was reduced brass tossing distance. With the addition of my new brass catcher, that essentially spells doom for the heavier springs.

So G21Carrier, you going to change your screen name to G29Carrier? You have a lot of posts out there under G21Carrier, but then again, there is something to be said for truth in advertising. :wavey:

I think the G29 is on my Christmas list. I resisted 10mm a long time, and it's surprising how much I like it. The other good thing you left off your list is:

-Don't have to listen to smack talk from 1911 owners anymore

I wish I could change my screen name. I really would. Of course, if I hadn't listened to all the gun shop morons in the first place, it would have been 20Carrier. Oh well, I thought they knew at least SOMETHING. I overestimated their knowledge (so did they). Right after I got the G29 I added the little line under my screen name, but the 21 is still there.

gwsanfor
02-10-2012, 15:25
Dude, I feel your pain. I used to go by S&W_Sigma.

dpadams6
02-11-2012, 06:11
Wow, I've been away for a while, and I can't believe this thread is still alive! I figured it wouldn't last a single day. I honestly didn't think it would get even ONE reply. I guess I underestimated the G29 love out there. To those on the fence, get one, you'll never regret it. I shot mine again today, and it was a blast, as usual.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I carry hand loaded 135gr Nosler JHPs doing about 1575fps. They usually chronograph anywhere from 1550-1600fps depending on the outside temp. My gun is 100% stock except for Heinie Straight Eight night sights and some stippling. I have a Wolff guide rod and 17lb, 21lb, and 23lb springs, but I don't use them anymore. The heavier springs cause the occasional FTFeed, and make recoil a good bit stiffer. In stock form, the gun just works 100%. The only REAL benefit that I ever saw from the stiffer springs was reduced brass tossing distance. With the addition of my new brass catcher, that essentially spells doom for the heavier springs.

I wish I could change my screen name. I really would. Of course, if I hadn't listened to all the gun shop morons in the first place, it would have been 20Carrier. Oh well, I thought they knew at least SOMETHING. I overestimated their knowledge (so did they). Right after I got the G29 I added the little line under my screen name, but the 21 is still there.

I also have the wolff recoil rod and 21 lb. spring and just had a couple ftf at range the other day, too...I think i'll try going back to the stock rsa. This will be my edc gun so i want absolute reliability. And, I agree, there is not a more versatile gun on the planet.

nickE10mm
02-11-2012, 07:23
I also have the wolff recoil rod and 21 lb. spring and just had a couple ftf at range the other day, too...I think i'll try going back to the stock rsa. This will be my edc gun so i want absolute reliability. And, I agree, there is not a more versatile gun on the planet.

Yep.... I've been having the occasional FTF with my new Wolff 20lb spring and rod combo. Stock is totally reliable, though.

glock20fanboy
02-11-2012, 21:16
I'm glad I found this thread, I was about to buy a 21# recoil spring setup. My stock one works, so I'm not gonna mess with it.

dave119
02-20-2012, 20:47
just got the gun two weeks ago I LOVE IT i,ve wanted a 10mm for about 10 years now can't wait to get a 20 in a month or so. Any recomadations on upgrades?

arushus
02-20-2012, 21:17
Make sure you run some goodammo through it. I recommend underwoodammo.com.

Opie 1 Kenopie
02-20-2012, 23:48
just got the gun two weeks ago I LOVE IT i,ve wanted a 10mm for about 10 years now can't wait to get a 20 in a month or so. Any recomadations on upgrades?

Careful with the "upgrades". Modifying your Glock usually makes it less than 100% reliable. I leave the guts alone on all of mine. As you've seen above, putting in non-factory springs might change your ejection pattern, but stock will always work.

The only thing I do to my guns is steel or night sights instead of the crap plastic ones, and usually my own stippling/reduction work. That's it. I don't tolerate unreliable CCW guns and this policy has always left me with perfectly functioning pistols.

xdmikey
02-21-2012, 05:56
after i replace the kb'd one.
my son was shooting so much better than w/his xd 40 then "oh crap oh crap oh crap. sorry about your gun mike."
i guess i need to cancel/refund the neighborhood reloading lessons, huh?

the kid(35 yo)is gtg andalmost ready to take back his 40.

10 fan
02-21-2012, 12:14
Please let me know what you think. I read that if your brass lands about 5 or 6ft away you have the correct spring weight. Mine lands about 20 ft. (G20,G29) I called Glock and was told I would be buying a new slide if I didn't get a heavier recoil spring. Said mine was to light or to light for the ammo I was shooting.Said call Wolff and get a spring pack and use the heaviest one that works.I took thier advice and put a 22lb in the G20 and 21lb in the G29 (both Gen 3 if it matters). I have put 4 to 5000 rounds thru the G20 and 2000 or more thru the G29 without any problems.I don't care where they land,I only changed because I thought it was the right thing per Glock. They still land 10ft away. They are both my EDC and are 100% with both setups. I would appreciate your thoughts. :cool:

_The_Shadow
02-21-2012, 13:49
I'd say you are where you want to be. I use the Wolff 21 lb spring set in my Glock 29 on the Wolff non-captive two piece rod. Works well for mine.

Increasing recoil spring weight has a draw back of making the slide tougher to rack, this can be of issue in defensive situations!

Hawkeye shooter
02-21-2012, 15:51
I have a couple of questions for you guys out there who have a G29 and a G20. First of all, I have a G20 SF (my first and currently only Glock) and I love to shoot it! Underwood ammo is probably my favorite. But for me I think the G20 is a little big for everyday CC duty. Does the G29 carry concealed better? How is it for accuracy compared to a G20? Will the G29 fit into a G20 holster? Lastly can the G29 handle full power loads like Underwood? A local gun shop has one in stock, and I wanted to run a few things by current G29 owners before I took a look at. Thanks in advance for the help guys. A G29 may be in my near future!!!

dpadams6
02-21-2012, 16:46
Please let me know what you think. I read that if your brass lands about 5 or 6ft away you have the correct spring weight. Mine lands about 20 ft. (G20,G29) I called Glock and was told I would be buying a new slide if I didn't get a heavier recoil spring. Said mine was to light or to light for the ammo I was shooting.Said call Wolff and get a spring pack and use the heaviest one that works.I took thier advice and put a 22lb in the G20 and 21lb in the G29 (both Gen 3 if it matters). I have put 4 to 5000 rounds thru the G20 and 2000 or more thru the G29 without any problems.I don't care where they land,I only changed because I thought it was the right thing per Glock. They still land 10ft away. They are both my EDC and are 100% with both setups. I would appreciate your thoughts. :cool:

I have that identical spring set up in both of mine. But at the range i was shooting underwood 135 nosler and I had a couple fail to ejects with BOTH GUNS. I put the factory spring back in both and not a problem. But as mentioned, I don't want to use factory springs for such hot rounds. What gives?

Chainlink
02-21-2012, 17:39
I have a couple of questions for you guys out there who have a G29 and a G20. First of all, I have a G20 SF (my first and currently only Glock) and I love to shoot it! Underwood ammo is probably my favorite. But for me I think the G20 is a little big for everyday CC duty. Does the G29 carry concealed better? How is it for accuracy compared to a G20? Will the G29 fit into a G20 holster? Lastly can the G29 handle full power loads like Underwood? A local gun shop has one in stock, and I wanted to run a few things by current G29 owners before I took a look at. Thanks in advance for the help guys. A G29 may be in my near future!!!Yes the 29 conceals better, and is everything the 20 is except smaller. Just as accurate IMHO and can handle all the same ammo. Buy with confidence.

CanyonMan
02-21-2012, 19:42
Hope all my amigo's are in a good mood here tonight.... :wavey:

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/DSC01536-1.jpg
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/0413011239b-1.jpg
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/0413011654.jpg
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/CID__0705071359.jpg

OK OK OK...

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/1008001217b-2.jpg

Jusat for fun Mi amigo's !

CM

Yondering
02-21-2012, 20:28
CM, did you polish the muzzle of that Glock barrel, or just poked it into so many bellies that it's worn smooth now? :whistling:

10 fan
02-21-2012, 23:57
I'd say you are where you want to be. I use the Wolff 21 lb spring set in my Glock 29 on the Wolff non-captive two piece rod. Works well for mine.

Increasing recoil spring weight has a draw back of making the slide tougher to rack, this can be of issue in defensive situations!
Big difference in racking the slide on both,I dry practice and malfuction drills acouple times a week so i'm used to that. I here alot about FTE and that has been my concern. 99% of what I shoot is 180gr. I think Underwood is the only ammo I haven't shot. I have never had a FTE,I guess don't worry and keep shooting. :cool:

10 fan
02-22-2012, 00:06
I have that identical spring set up in both of mine. But at the range i was shooting underwood 135 nosler and I had a couple fail to ejects with BOTH GUNS. I put the factory spring back in both and not a problem. But as mentioned, I don't want to use factory springs for such hot rounds. What gives?
I have never had a FTE, but have never shot underwood.I also only shoot 180gr except all copper 155gr. and 200gr hardcast. :cool:

CanyonMan
02-22-2012, 12:42
CM, did you polish the muzzle of that Glock barrel, or just poked it into so many bellies that it's worn smooth now? :whistling:

LOL....

Naw man, I had a spare G20 Barrel, and sat down for a few minutes with some #00004 steel wool and a few minutes rubbing and then some flitz on a old t shirt and bingo ! It was a day I was really board ! HaHa !

Look at it this way. If i do have to "stick it in a few bellies," it's already shined and ready ! :rofl:

I'll share a couple of worthless pics here:

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/1008001118b.jpg
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/1008001118a.jpg
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/1008001119.jpg

Results in absoluetly nothing but a shiny barrel! haha

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/1008001217b-2.jpg

This instruction is dedicated to all who are board, or just want a shiny barrel ! HaHa !

Later guys !
Bless y'all
I'm off to buy a 'new set' of all terrain tires for the truck !

CM

novasquid
02-23-2012, 16:55

i was curious which barrels would fit the g29, so it looks like a g29 can shoot 40sw, 357 and 9x25?

oceanbob
04-01-2012, 08:30
bump.

Angry Fist
04-01-2012, 08:36
They have .38 Super for the G20, what about the 29?

blastfact
04-01-2012, 09:38
I was at the Tulsa Gun Show yesterday. First priority a new G29. I didn't find one. There were several used ones that were way over priced.

So I left with a M&P 9 Talo.

67November
04-01-2012, 10:18

I realize I'm replying to an old post, but KKM makes an extended 10mm barrel out to 4.7" and Storm Lake makes one to 4.48". Both non-ported. The KKM barrel is not listed on the website. You either need to call or email.

YMMV

bac1023
04-01-2012, 12:29
I'm not a huge Glock fan, but its certainly one of their better models.

nickE10mm
04-01-2012, 18:29
I'm actually looking for a G29SF, too... maybe they're (Glock Inc.) running their current stock to make room for the new Gen4's... !! lol ... nah, doubt it.

FWIW, my dad just got a G29SF a week or two ago... He's now got a G20SF and a G29SF, both Gen3's.... I've turned him into a 10mm fanatic. He's also now setup to reload.

Bad habit, I tell ya. :)

Angry Fist
04-01-2012, 18:37
I'm actually looking for a G29SF, too... maybe they're (Glock Inc.) running their current stock to make room for the new Gen4's... !! lol ... nah, doubt it.

FWIW, my dad just got a G29SF a week or two ago... He's now got a G20SF and a G29SF, both Gen3's.... I've turned him into a 10mm fanatic. He's also now setup to reload.

Bad habit, I tell ya. :)
My dad's a Dem. Lucky you. :whistling:

glock20fanboy
04-01-2012, 23:00
My dad's a Dem. Lucky you. :whistling:
So am I, and so are a lot of gun owners.

Angry Fist
04-01-2012, 23:14
:wavey:

slims00ls1z28
04-02-2012, 01:23
I have to agree. I've loved my G29SF since day one and it's been 100% since. When I looked for my first carry gun I knew off the top I wanted a 10mm. I loved the simple looks of glocks as well. Finding out that Glock had a 10MM sealed the decision and it became my first firearm purchase and my EDC since. Now I gotta get it's big brother.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o60/slims00ls1z28/IMG_0541.jpg

Now I need to get off my arse and roll some more ammo.

oceanbob
02-22-2013, 15:57
Dang. I miss this Thread....................:supergrin:

nickE10mm
02-22-2013, 16:27
I wanna play! Had to sell my G20sf a while back but my G29sf was salvaged. It's got Heinie Straight Eights and a GR trigger now, too.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/23/agareqaj.jpg
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh585/nickE10mm/IMG_8186.jpg
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh585/nickE10mm/IMG_9676.jpg
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh585/nickE10mm/IMG_9674.jpg

g29guy
02-22-2013, 20:55
The 29 is the perfect gun. Here is mine with a KKM 4.75" extended barrel. I use it for ccw, woods carry, hunting, target, and any other excuse to shoot/carry it.

s0nspark
02-23-2013, 07:40
Here was my first G29, a Gen3...

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll170/s0nspark/g29/20093rdgunglock2906_zps9d74e086.jpg

and my most recent, a Gen4...

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll170/s0nspark/g29/edc20121003_zps4d5ec155.jpg

I got it as a summer alternate to my EDC, a Gen4 G20. The tax man came at me really hard this year, though, so I had to sell it :-(

My G20, on the other hand, will never be sold ;-)

vandros
02-23-2013, 14:57
agreed. g29 is the most versatile gun in glock's lineup. after long considering which gun would adequately perform for woods carry, hd, sd, ccw - I settled on g29 and believe I'll never need any other gun.