Shirt Stays Trick? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shirt Stays Trick?

lsmountainman
01-18-2012, 08:58
I am using the foot loop style of shirt garters and I really like them. However, the clips that attach to the shirt are a pain in the neck. Is there any trick to make them stay looped over the shirt material? They usually don't move on me once I have been in the shirt for a couple hours but they will pop off when I put them on a new shirt or periodically if I put my hand in my pocket and knock them off. Any tricks for keeping them within the metal clip?

Hack
01-18-2012, 09:23
Long shirt tales are my preference, and trousers made with the little rubber lining attached helps me out.

merlynusn
01-18-2012, 09:44
The important thing to remember. When the shirt stay pops off, it pops off down and not up like the normal ones that clip to your sock.

rookie1
01-18-2012, 10:02
Not real familiar with these and this might be way off but, what about sewing a couple button holes into the back of your shirt and clipping it on there so it has something to grab onto and not slide off. One of our officers did that for the cable for his listen only mic wire which gave it a place to come out above the belt and connect to the radio. I was looking at getting some. I am tired of my shirt pulling down and constantly pulling on my neck.

DaBigBR
01-18-2012, 10:26
Not real familiar with these and this might be way off but, what about sewing a couple button holes into the back of your shirt and clipping it on there so it has something to grab onto and not slide off. One of our officers did that for the cable for his listen only mic wire which gave it a place to come out above the belt and connect to the radio. I was looking at getting some. I am tired of my shirt pulling down and constantly pulling on my neck.

I did exactly this (had buttons sewn on) with my old uniforms. I removed the rubber piece from the shirt stay so that all I had left was the metal bracket. You hang the little metal bracket over the button and you're good to go. Never comes undone, always in the right place, easy to remove, etc. I haven't gotten around to having them put on my new uniforms yet.

My other suggestion would be using a nickel or quarter (depending on your shirt stays). Use the coin to push shirt fabric through the metal bracket on the shirt stay, turn 90 degrees, and let it hang. Also very unlikely to come undone.

GumbyDammit
01-18-2012, 10:57
I safety pin mine to keep them on, but it's a pain in the butt to put them on every time I get dressed. The button hole idea sounds like a good one.

lsmountainman
01-18-2012, 11:00
I just tried a nickel, penny and dime. I think the nickel is the way to go...

Kadetklapp
01-18-2012, 11:24
Underbelt for me.

DaBigBR
01-19-2012, 12:48
I safety pin mine to keep them on, but it's a pain in the butt to put them on every time I get dressed. The button hole idea sounds like a good one.

Rather than a button hole, try an actual button. Easier to install and more secure.

packsaddle
01-19-2012, 13:01
http://shirtlock.com/

Ajon412
01-19-2012, 13:09

This actually appears to be a more user friendly product than what I've been using....I'm gonna give the shirtlock a try...Thanks....:wavey:

http://www.flexbelt.net/

Mattz
01-19-2012, 14:35
Just go to a tailor and show them where you hook the shirt stays on your shirt and they'll tailor some holes. Won't pop off again. :)

collim1
01-19-2012, 17:49
I did exactly this (had buttons sewn on) with my old uniforms. I removed the rubber piece from the shirt stay so that all I had left was the metal bracket. You hang the little metal bracket over the button and you're good to go. Never comes undone, always in the right place, easy to remove, etc. I haven't gotten around to having them put on my new uniforms yet.

My other suggestion would be using a nickel or quarter (depending on your shirt stays). Use the coin to push shirt fabric through the metal bracket on the shirt stay, turn 90 degrees, and let it hang. Also very unlikely to come undone.

Mine rarely give me problems, but this is a good idea.

GumbyDammit
01-19-2012, 17:53
Rather than a button hole, try an actual button. Easier to install and more secure.

Doing this.

:thumbsup:

x_out86
01-19-2012, 20:33
I like it. Might just have to try that one!

ray9898
01-20-2012, 20:47
I agree with the above....just sew on a button with some heavy thread.

lawman800
01-20-2012, 21:48
Mine never had a problem staying on the shirt... but maybe it also has to do with the shirt?

My shirts are either all wool or heavy gauge wool/poly blend. I did notice that some of my earlier, cheaper, lighter all poly or poly/cotton shirts had problems with the stays popping off.

The rubber nubby belt doesn't work for me. The belt tends to ride up randomly and exposes itself above the waistline, looking like crap. I have one if anyone wants it. I tried it once and never used it again.

The other trick that I have used and seen others use, is to just wear boxer briefs which have a very thick and strong waistband, compared to the loosey elastic strip of a regular pair of boxers, and then tuck the shirt inside the waistband of the undershorts. When I do that, I never had a problem with the shirt untucking itself.

packsaddle
01-20-2012, 22:01
The other trick that I have used and seen others use, is to just wear boxer briefs which have a very thick and strong waistband, compared to the loosey elastic strip of a regular pair of boxers, and then tuck the shirt inside the waistband of the undershorts. When I do that, I never had a problem with the shirt untucking itself.

pics or it didn't happen.

:aodnsb:

lawman800
01-20-2012, 22:12
pics or it didn't happen.

:aodnsb:

Can't do that since I don't wear underwear anymore.:whistling:

kpuscg04
01-20-2012, 22:20
The important thing to remember. When the shirt stay pops off, it pops off down and not up like the normal ones that clip to your sock.

Nothing like a parted shirt stay on a cold Long Island morning.... Memories.

BIGGUNS911
01-20-2012, 22:20
I did not read all post so I do not know if someone touched on this. When I was using them I would pull the rubber shirt connector off. I would than use a penny in its place. It covered the hole in the stay better and worked great.

ray9898
01-25-2012, 21:43
Hmmm....this Shirtlock thing is interesting. I would like to hear some real world reviews.

rudeboy3
01-25-2012, 22:03
I did not read all post so I do not know if someone touched on this. When I was using them I would pull the rubber shirt connector off. I would than use a penny in its place. It covered the hole in the stay better and worked great.

I just cannot figure out the penny thing, can someone post pics?

Ajon412
01-25-2012, 23:28

Just ordered one of these after my 3rd Hidden Taylor / Flex Belt wore out...

ray9898
01-26-2012, 11:40

Put a penny on the inside of your shirt....pull the fabric around it to make it sit in a little pocket.....hook the shirt stay over the fabric covered penny from the outside.

DaBigBR
01-26-2012, 12:15

I know a couple others have explained it, but I'll give it a shot just in case.

If you look at where the shirt stay attaches to the shirt, it consists of a metal loop and a rubber piece. You put the metal loop on one side of the shirt and the rubber piece on the other. You push the rubber piece (and therefore shirt material as well) in to the metal loop and slide it up to "lock" it in place.

For the "coin trick", use a coin, turned sideways, to push shirt material through the metal loop, then turn the coin flat and pull down slightly on the shirt stay. You should have shirt material pushed through the loop and held their by the coin, just like you would have with the rubber piece. The obvious advantage is that the coin is significantly larger than the loop, so it is less likely to pop out.

Wonder140
01-26-2012, 14:33
I know a couple others have explained it, but I'll give it a shot just in case.

If you look at where the shirt stay attaches to the shirt, it consists of a metal loop and a rubber piece. You put the metal loop on one side of the shirt and the rubber piece on the other. You push the rubber piece (and therefore shirt material as well) in to the metal loop and slide it up to "lock" it in place.

For the "coin trick", use a coin, turned sideways, to push shirt material through the metal loop, then turn the coin flat and pull down slightly on the shirt stay. You should have shirt material pushed through the loop and held their by the coin, just like you would have with the rubber piece. The obvious advantage is that the coin is significantly larger than the loop, so it is less likely to pop out.

Hot dog....genius!! I only like the ones that are 4 individual stays. I tried them all and liked them the best. Only time I had an issue is when my wife bought me some black socks that were made of really thin material. They would pop off 5+ times a shift...annoying as all get out. So, I don't use those socks and they are fine. Only thing is they seem to stretch out kind of quickly so I go through a set every 6 mos or so which isn't a big deal because they are only 7-8 bucks at our local cop shop.

Mayhem like Me
01-26-2012, 14:42

You the man!!!!! I made one of these and it constantly comes undone.. thanks

DaBigBR
01-26-2012, 15:40
Hot dog....genius!! I only like the ones that are 4 individual stays. I tried them all and liked them the best. Only time I had an issue is when my wife bought me some black socks that were made of really thin material. They would pop off 5+ times a shift...annoying as all get out. So, I don't use those socks and they are fine. Only thing is they seem to stretch out kind of quickly so I go through a set every 6 mos or so which isn't a big deal because they are only 7-8 bucks at our local cop shop.

I had a pair break (metal loop fell off, never to be seen again) a while back, so I ordered some on Amazon. Best pair that I've ever bought. Strong elastic, good metal catches for sizing, etc. We'll see how they hold up.