Romney/ Mormon. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Romney/ Mormon.

frank4570
01-18-2012, 21:08
I've heard people say he is un-electable because there are so many non-mormon christians in this country who won't vote for him.

Anybody think that is true?

CAcop
01-18-2012, 21:11
I saw one survey where the biggest push against him was liberals. Conservatives where much more comfortable with Mormons. I think it is because while they don't share the same beliefs conservative Christians and Mormons are a hell of a lot closer to each other than liberals.

I suspect those on the right who would not vote for him are probably people who refer to Catholics as Papists.

ChuteTheMall
01-18-2012, 21:15
The media will hold back on the anti-Mormon propaganda until after he is nominated.

Jeff S.
01-18-2012, 21:28
Personally, I don't care if he prays to the winter gods of Neptune; I just want to know his politics.

As for the rest of the country: honestly, I don't think it's a big issue. It'll be made out to be a big issue, but I don't think people care. As a parallel, I think his Mormonism is similar to Obama's skin color, in that there will be a bunch of hoopla about it, but it will ultimately be a non-issue.

RyanBDawg
01-18-2012, 21:31
I suspect those on the right who would not vote for him are probably people who refer to Catholics as Papists.

http://www.eatlocalmemphis.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/williambillthebutchercutting.jpg

Paul7
01-18-2012, 21:33
The media will hold back on the anti-Mormon propaganda until after he is nominated.

.....all the while ignoring the Mormon Harry Reid.

G29Reload
01-18-2012, 21:41
I don't know that its cause he's mormon or any other cult.

I just don't trust someone who doesn't drink coffee or whiskey.

Something just…so….WRONG about that!

I mean, what kind of pervert…never mind.

:upeyes:

:rofl:

ArtificialGrape
01-18-2012, 21:54
In a Gallup poll last summer 22% of the respondents indicated that they would not vote for a Mormon (http://www.gallup.com/poll/148100/Hesitant-Support-Mormon-2012.aspx). Here are more of the results:

Would not vote for:
a black 5%
a woman 6%
a Catholic 7%
a Baptist 7%
a Jew 9%
a Hispanic 10%
a Mormon 22%
a gay or lesbian 32%
an atheist 49%

-ArtificialGrape

CAcop
01-18-2012, 22:29
.....all the while ignoring the Moron Harry Reid.

Fixed it for you.

cablecutter
01-18-2012, 22:43
I am a Mormon... Anyone that calls the church a cult, now that is plain messed up! I worship the same God as other Christian religions. We have our differences( what church doesn't?) of belief but any church by definition can be call a cult.

Do what Jesus would do, thats my message!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

cablecutter
01-18-2012, 22:45
It's not funny to make fun of anyone's religion. Take your rude comments else where!

Fred Hansen
01-18-2012, 23:01
I like most Mormons I've met. I think the world of John Moses Browning; being Mormon never hurt him any.

Can't stand Romney the R.I.N.O. Wouldn't vote for him if somebody held a gun to my head. Why vote for the inventor of Obamacare? What exactly would be the point?

There are ample reasons to not vote for Romney, being a Mormon isn't even in the top 100.

Big Mad Dawg
01-18-2012, 23:09
Personally, I don't care if he prays to the winter gods of Neptune; I just want to know his politics.

As for the rest of the country: honestly, I don't think it's a big issue. It'll be made out to be a big issue, but I don't think people care. As a parallel, I think his Mormonism is similar to Obama's skin color, in that there will be a bunch of hoopla about it, but it will ultimately be a non-issue.

I agree it will only be portrayed as a big issue by the support obama media. I don’t care about a person’s religious affiliations as long as they don’t try to restrict or influence mine. I believe that some of the best people in the world are Mormons compared to the lying gangster in the office now the choice would be clear. But then I have no love for criminal organizations so maybe I am just being unfair to the slimy bum in charge.

What religion is obama? I am not sure but his minister preached hate I doubt that you can say the same about the Mormon Church.

RMTactical
01-18-2012, 23:12
I'm mormon and dont care for Reid or Romney. I prefer Ron Paul.

barbedwiresmile
01-19-2012, 04:56
I saw one survey where the biggest push against him was liberals. Conservatives where much more comfortable with Mormons. I think it is because while they don't share the same beliefs conservative Christians and Mormons are a hell of a lot closer to each other than liberals.

That is also my sense of it.

happyguy
01-19-2012, 07:36
Mormons have a different take on the Bible than I do. But then again, it's not like he's a Methodist or something.

:tongueout:

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Chuck TX
01-19-2012, 07:57
It'll be a sizable issue for some, but it is not the reason he will wind up as McCain 2.0 if he gains the nomination. That reason would be he is a snake oil selling liberal in conservative clothing and enough people know it.

heyTJ
01-19-2012, 08:03
I am a Mormon... Anyone that calls the church a cult, now that is plain messed up! I worship the same God as other Christian religions. We have our differences( what church doesn't?) of belief but any church by definition can be call a cult.

For the life of me I don't know why people get so offended when their "organization" is called a cult. The bottom line, it is, look up cult.

ArtificialGrape
01-19-2012, 08:11

That is also my sense of it.

The Gallup poll that I referenced earlier certainly shows a gap between the willingness of Democrats and Republicans, but 18% of Republicans still indicated that they would not vote for a Mormon (vs 27% of Democrats).

-ArtificialGrape

frank4570
01-19-2012, 08:24
The Gallup poll that I referenced earlier certainly shows a gap between the willingness of Democrats and Republicans, but 18% of Republicans still indicated that they would not vote for a Mormon (vs 27% of Democrats).

-ArtificialGrape

18% is still an awfully big chunk. I kind of think he would have a terrible time making up that many votes.

cablecutter
01-19-2012, 08:31
For the life of me I don't know why people get so offended when their "organization" is called a cult. The bottom line, it is, look up cult.

So what cult do you belong to?

heyTJ
01-19-2012, 08:50
So what cult do you belong to?

If atheism is a cult, then that is the one I associate with.

UtahGlocker
01-19-2012, 11:00
I'm mormon and dont care for Reid or Romney. I prefer Ron Paul.

Same for me. Ron Paul is who I will be voting for.

brickboy240
01-19-2012, 11:43
I don't care if he wears magic underwear, does not drink coffee and believes Jesus talked to the Indians.....his views and non-conservatism is enough to not want Mittens.

Wait until he makes the cut....THEN big media will bring out the long knives against all things Mormon. They're just waiting for Newt, Paul and Santorum to fizzle out.

- brickboy240

ArtificialGrape
01-19-2012, 12:45
18% is still an awfully big chunk. I kind of think he would have a terrible time making up that many votes.
No doubt about it, 18% of Republican, and 19% of Independents is huge.

G29Reload
01-19-2012, 14:49

Well, for one he wouldnt violate Biblical precepts.

Like the very last verse in the Bible, or thereabouts…something to the effect of:

Woe be to him who adds anything or takes anything away from scripture…

Meaning the book of mormon is nonsense. So is the idea that the Garden of Eden is in Missouri...:rofl:

Get thee behind me…

Oh and Jesus never said anything about diet coke or starbucks or caffeine.
And he said not to "linger long" at the wine, not that you couldn't have ANY. :upeyes:

brickboy240
01-19-2012, 15:22
Whats the deal with the magic underwear?

porschedog
01-19-2012, 15:24
Imagine if he was a Muslim, no way he'd win.

Oh wait.... yeah, we did that, didn't we?

brickboy240
01-19-2012, 15:44
Religion of a left candidate is portrayed as a plus or never mentioned.

Religion of a right candidate will brand that person a total kook.

...haven't you figured out this little game yet?

- brickboy240

happyguy
01-19-2012, 16:05
Whats the deal with the magic underwear?

What magic underwear?

I was not aware that Mormons ascribed magical powers to their underwear.

Please illuminate me.

Regards,

juggy4711
01-19-2012, 19:20
Well, for one he wouldn't violate Biblical precepts.

Like the very last verse in the Bible, or thereabouts…something to the effect of:

Woe be to him who adds anything or takes anything away from scripture…

Meaning the book of mormon is nonsense. So is the idea that the Garden of Eden is in Missouri...:rofl:

Get thee behind me…

Oh and Jesus never said anything about diet coke or starbucks or caffeine.
And he said not to "linger long" at the wine, not that you couldn't have ANY. :upeyes:

This exact same mindset or position, is representative of how I imagine Jews perceive Christianity. If Christians know better than Muslims, it only makes sense that Jews would know better than Christians. Right?

Kingarthurhk
01-19-2012, 19:48
I could care less whether he is Mormon. I have known a lot of Mormons. They typically tend to be very conservative, family oriented people, with a strong sense of community and reaching out to others. I disagree with their religion, but as a people you would be hard pressed to find a group of more honest people as a whole.

happyguy
01-19-2012, 19:54
I could care less whether he is Mormon. I have known a lot of Mormons. They typically tend to be very conservative, family oriented people, with a strong sense of community and reaching out to others. I disagree with their religion, but as a people you would be hard pressed to find a group of more honest people as a whole.

Good lord you've finally written a post I can agree with.

Now about those Presbyterians...

Regards,

RC-RAMIE
01-19-2012, 21:33
Doesn't bother me one bit, I don't care about their religion I do not use that as a factor in any of my decisions on anybody.

"Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it is realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy. - Ron Paul

Paul7
01-19-2012, 21:36
Fixed it for you.

He is that too.....

Better a Mormon than a Muslim.

GAFinch
01-19-2012, 21:56

Yep, that's how I feel about them. Just wish they'd stop knocking on my door.

Even if someone didn't like Mormons, it'd be a Mormon vs a Unitarian Universalist/Black Liberation Christian/Muslim hybrid.

Kingarthurhk
01-19-2012, 22:09
Yep, that's how I feel about them. Just wish they'd stop knocking on my door.

Even if someone didn't like Mormons, it'd be a Mormon vs a Unitarian Universalist/Black Liberation Christian/Muslim hybrid.

I don't mind them comming by. I figure if they are willing to step out in faith to come knock on the door, and I have the time, I will be polite enough to talk to them.

I don't have to subscribe to their religion, but I can appreciate their need to do what they do.

Flintlocker
01-19-2012, 22:15
Imagine if he was a Muslim, no way he'd win.

Oh wait.... yeah, we did that, didn't we?

Technically speaking, the Islamic view of Jesus is closer to Christianity than the Mormon view. Mormons believe that Jesus was a polygamist born of a sexual relationship and whose death was not the salvation of mankind. Islam believes Jesus was of virginal conception but that he was not crucified, instead ascending to heaven.

ChuteTheMall
04-02-2012, 12:43
Mormons believe that Jesus was a polygamist born of a sexual relationship and whose death was not the salvation of mankind.

Source?

:popcorn:

Chuck TX
04-02-2012, 12:52
Source?

:popcorn:

How about the founder,that count as a source? :whistling:

Fred Hansen
04-02-2012, 13:23
Technically speaking, the Islamic view of Jesus is closer to Christianity than the Mormon view. Mormons believe that Jesus was a polygamist born of a sexual relationship and whose death was not the salvation of mankind. Islam believes Jesus was of virginal conception but that he was not crucified, instead ascending to heaven.Islam is so darn :cool:.
:notworthy:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

series1811
04-02-2012, 14:03
I'll bet nobody would vote for a Quaker, or a Catholic, either.

whoflungdo
04-02-2012, 14:30
I'll bet nobody would vote for a Quaker, or a Catholic, either.

What in the world does this thread have to do with oatmeal?

:wavey::whistling:

series1811
04-02-2012, 14:54
What in the world does this thread have to do with oatmeal?

:wavey::whistling:

Showing my age, and history repeating itself. :supergrin:

callihan_44
04-02-2012, 15:41
so christians would pick obama after the healthcare debacle with birthcontrol and see their religious freedoms being trampled? I dont think so

Kingarthurhk
04-02-2012, 17:07
I've heard people say he is un-electable because there are so many non-mormon christians in this country who won't vote for him.

Anybody think that is true?

No. I would. Am I enamored with the offerings these election season? No. I personally think he is the lesser of all the evils.

oldgraywolf
04-02-2012, 17:21
I'm not a Romney fan but at least he doesn't come across as the American Taliban like another GOP candidate does. I'll bet Santorum turns off more of middle America by constantly spouting his "values" than Romney, who leaves his religion at home where it belongs.