riddle me this, batman...a 1911 that has... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : riddle me this, batman...a 1911 that has...

DogRomeo
01-18-2012, 22:03
Every time I get the urge to buy my 1st 1911, I stumble across the same problem: it's got THIS but it doesn't have THAT.:steamed: I just want a 1911a2 which has all the cool tactical features, stock, for under a grand:

double stack
night sights
tac rail
front strap/trigger guard stippling
some sort of 2 tone (black & OD, FDE, etc)
upgraded hammer & trigger

Now mind you, I keep settling on a 1911 that doesn't have one of those features (almost got a Para, RIA, Taurus, SA) then right before I accept it, I say "NO, GO START A THREAD ON ALL THOSE FORUMS YOU'RE LURKING ON!!!! Instead of reading all the time, try actually POSTING."
I've looked on & off for about a year at all the usual suspects and gentlemen, I need you to say "What about the ________? How could you miss it?" because I feel like somehow I've overlooked one. Thanks everybody!
:yourock:

humphreys19
01-18-2012, 22:26
1911A2? What the hell is that? Double stack? Tac Rail? You don't want a 1911, you want a Glock or a M&P. I like both of them, but they are not 1911's.

ProCarryNAustin
01-18-2012, 22:46
You can get all that in an STI... but not for under a grand.

ArmoryDoc
01-19-2012, 06:09
I have to say too that it isn't a 1911 you want. 1911's aren't double-stack. I know. I'm a purist but that's how it is.

BuckyP
01-19-2012, 06:33
Perhaps a good starting point:

http://www.rafire.com/members/bucky/sf/p14a.jpg

Missing - Night sights - can add the Harrington
Rail - there are add on rails
2 Tone? - why ruin an NP3 finish :dunno:

14+1 flush fit, 15+1 with base pad. Also, fits 1911 holsters unlike the STI.

Rally Vincent
01-19-2012, 07:13
Sounds like you want a Glock.

Three-Five-Seven
01-19-2012, 08:51
OP, you description of what you want doesn't sound like any John Browning 1911 I'm familiar with.

Perhaps another type of pistol will suite you. I think a Glock might serve you well.

Spiffums
01-19-2012, 09:55
Since only a few of the people above tried to really help you and the rest just wanted to add to their post count with a dog pile......

What you want is a 2011 and it does cost more than a grand. The P14 is a great place to start if you want a production gun to add to and work on. You could get a double stack frame and mags and have one of the better known smiths build you one.

fnfalman
01-19-2012, 10:01
Isn't Para-Ordnance well known for making double-stackers?

DogRomeo
01-19-2012, 10:59
1911A2? What the hell is that? Double stack? Tac Rail? You don't want a 1911, you want a Glock or a M&P. I like both of them, but they are not 1911's.

OK I just legit lol'd!!!! Have a Glock, love it, don't want another one. I DO WANT A 1911 TYPE PISTOL! lol

DogRomeo
01-19-2012, 11:00
You can get all that in an STI... but not for under a grand.

Obviously. How about this, name me a 1911 with all those bells and whistles for anywhere NEAR a thousand.

DogRomeo
01-19-2012, 11:01
I have to say too that it isn't a 1911 you want. 1911's aren't double-stack. I know. I'm a purist but that's how it is.

Fair enough. So can you help me or are you done?

DogRomeo
01-19-2012, 11:02

Adding all that stuff to it negates the point of buying one out of the box, don't you think? There goes the price too, so it's a no go. Thanks anyways.

DogRomeo
01-19-2012, 11:03
Sounds like you want a Glock.

How is a Glock a 1911? C'mon now. :rofl:

DogRomeo
01-19-2012, 11:05
Since only a few of the people above tried to really help you and the rest just wanted to add to their post count with a dog pile......

What you want is a 2011 and it does cost more than a grand. The P14 is a great place to start if you want a production gun to add to and work on. You could get a double stack frame and mags and have one of the better known smiths build you one.

Thanks! I have a couple of them bookmarked already but I was hoping somebody knew of one that's complete out of the box for about that price. Mind you, if a $1200 Para is my answer, than it IS my answer. Have to ask though.

DogRomeo
01-19-2012, 11:06
Isn't Para-Ordnance well known for making double-stackers?

Aren't they? Yes they are! Very cool guns but I have a hard time finding them on sale.

Quack
01-19-2012, 11:38
double stack
night sights
tac rail

:yourock:

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/Other/SHOT-Show-Day-2/i-kwbwWnp/0/L/DSC6663-L.jpg

BuckyP
01-19-2012, 11:48
double stack
night sights
tac rail

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/Other/SHOT-Show-Day-2/i-kwbwWnp/0/L/DSC6663-L.jpg

Hey, you missed a part of the original quote. :tongueout:

I just want a 1911a2 which has all the cool tactical features, stock, for under a grand

MD357
01-19-2012, 11:50
What you want doesn't exist. Para is junk, which is why competition boys gut them and start with the frame and even then I've seen guys throw a ton of money chasing out of spec problems. A high quality double stack 1911 just isn't cheap, in fact you can spend quite a bit on mags alone. Speaking from experience, save your pennies and get an STI.

Buy once, cry once.

Quack
01-19-2012, 11:50
nope, i saw that, but he's asking for a Unicorn or the Easter Bunny....not going to happen. also if he looks around, he can get one of the 2011's (pre-owned) for $1300

DogRomeo
01-19-2012, 12:50
My search is over. Just found this Rock Island Double Stack Tactical 1911

http://www.armoryblog.com/firearms/hand-guns/rock-island-double-stack-tactical-1911/comment-page-1/

It doesn't what? Doesn't exist? I'm looking for what? The easter bunny or a unicorn?

Go right ahead and apologize for talking down to me.

craig19
01-19-2012, 14:23
That's pretty cool. Too bad its not out yet. Plus, how do you know this thing is going to be under a grand, and does it have night sights?

MD357
01-19-2012, 14:35

http://www.armoryblog.com/firearms/hand-guns/rock-island-double-stack-tactical-1911/comment-page-1/

It doesn't what? Doesn't exist? I'm looking for what? The easter bunny or a unicorn?

Don't be so sensitive there Sally, I wasn't talking down to you. Just relaying some reality after running a doublestack for awhile. What cracks me up is threads like these ask for help and get all huffy when they don't like the answer.

Glad you found a RIA that WILL come out eventually. Doesn't seem to have Night sights or checkered strap. You definately won't have tool steel parts or what you call "upgraded."

I still say get ready to spend some money on QUALITY mags if you plan on running the gun more than a few hundred rounds a year or plan on relying on it for protection.

DogRomeo
01-19-2012, 14:55
That's pretty cool. Too bad its not out yet. Plus, how do you know this thing is going to be under a grand, and does it have night sights?

You've hit the nail on the head: those questions have no answers yet. I'm simply assuming based on the company that YES it'll be under a grand (that's a very safe bet I'd be willing to make with anybody).

DogRomeo
01-19-2012, 14:56
Don't be so sensitive there Sally, I wasn't talking down to you. Just relaying some reality after running a doublestack for awhile. What cracks me up is threads like these ask for help and get all huffy when they don't like the answer.

Glad you found a RIA that WILL come out eventually. Doesn't seem to have Night sights or checkered strap. You definately won't have tool steel parts or what you call "upgraded."

I still say get ready to spend some money on QUALITY mags if you plan on running the gun more than a few hundred rounds a year or plan on relying on it for protection.

LMAO you're right man, I'll need to upgrade the mags and sights. So are you saying that after doing so it still won't be under a G? I'm not gonna agree with ya there chief.

emopunker2004
01-19-2012, 16:22
no front strap stippling on the RIA

Quack
01-19-2012, 16:27

its serrated. ~$250 to get it checkered and refinished. it'll keep you under $1000

Glockdude1
01-19-2012, 16:28
http://www.armoryblog.com/wp-content/gallery/shot-show-2012-media-range-day/shot-show-2012-media-range-day-rock-island-double-stack-1911-45acp.jpg

Not bad looking at all.

:cool:

bac1023
01-19-2012, 17:09

Not a 1911, but if it floats your boat, more power to you.

DogRomeo
01-19-2012, 18:28

Yeah, it's certainly not perfect but it has the most important things and I can add on the lesser things, although I was hoping not to. The fact that it's a 1911 style double stack with a tac rail are by far the biggest factors, for obvious reasons. The other things are really what I'd like it to come with right outta the box but since it's an RIA, I'm sure I can swing it for under a grand and still upgrade the aesthetics I desire.

DogRomeo
01-19-2012, 18:28
http://www.armoryblog.com/wp-content/gallery/shot-show-2012-media-range-day/shot-show-2012-media-range-day-rock-island-double-stack-1911-45acp.jpg

Not bad looking at all.

:cool:

I love it

DogRomeo
01-19-2012, 18:29

Um, yes sir.

bac1023
01-19-2012, 19:04
Um, yes sir.

Cool :cool:

Hope its available soon for you. :wavey:

Quack
01-19-2012, 20:45
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/Other/SHOT-Show-2012-Day-3/i-TTT5qMR/0/L/DSC6716-L.jpg

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/Other/SHOT-Show-2012-Day-3/i-3mBfwVt/0/L/DSC6717-L.jpg

NeverMore1701
01-19-2012, 21:13
I wouldn't mind that in single stack 9mm. They make anything like that?

Also, in that last pic, is the bottom grip screw coming out?

Quack
01-19-2012, 21:31
I wouldn't mind that in single stack 9mm. They make anything like that?

Also, in that last pic, is the bottom grip screw coming out?

should be available in 9mm

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/Other/SHOT-Show-2012-Day-3/i-7Gbfkq7/0/L/DSC6719-L.jpg

NeverMore1701
01-19-2012, 22:03
Ugh, RIA's website is terribad :faint:

arclight610
01-19-2012, 22:07

Agreed. The OP barges in here demanding apologies, calling people "chief", and acting like he owns the damn place.

OP, learn some etiquette and manners.

MD357
01-19-2012, 22:33
I'm not gonna agree with ya there chief.

That's because you don't know any better.

Checkering front strap and trigger guard ~ $200 + or - plus refinish.
Night sights ~ $150 and up.
"upgraded" Hammer and trigger. ~ $80 to 300 depending how good or half-*** you do it.
Good mags will cost you $60 a piece before tuning from Dawson.

Have fun there sparky. :cool:

bac1023
01-20-2012, 04:41
Agreed. The OP barges in here demanding apologies, calling people "chief", and acting like he owns the damn place.

:agree:

Rally Vincent
01-20-2012, 08:15
I still say you should get a Glock 21SF and put the rest of the money in extra mags and ammo for practice. Don't get all hung up on the whole 1911 thing. You'd be better of starting with a single stack framed 1911 anyways.

ancient_serpent
01-20-2012, 08:43

OP: You may not intend to do so, but I read your posts as arclight did. Noone here owes you an answer, the ones you recieved were people offering experienced opinions simply to be helpful.
There are more than a couple of people that posted here that know more about the 1911 than JMB did when he invented it.
If basic courtesy is not your style then perhaps you need to frequent a different forum?

Rumbler_G20
01-20-2012, 08:47

Dog, I have owned two RIA 1911a2's. One new, one "like new".

Nether one was reliable. They have feeding problems even with hardball. I'm of the opinion it is a magazine design issue, but couldn't prove it.

But the big problem is the soft steel they are made of. It is so soft you can almost cut it with a sharp knife. That means they beat themselves to death. I wore out both mine before I could get the feeding problems rectified and I only shoot a thousand rounds or so (of .45ACP) a month.

. . at this point I can honestly say the only way I would own another RIA is if it was gifted to me. And then I'd trade it off just as quickly as possible.

But, well, you know; if you don't shoot a lot . . . that may not ever be an issue for you.

Spats McGee
01-20-2012, 09:17
Not to threadjack (too much, anyway), but what makes this "not a 1911?" I have, from time to time, wondered what changes to the design take a pistol from "1911" to "not-1911."

WinterWizard
01-20-2012, 09:22
And I want a brand new Mustang GT for about $10, but that ain't happening... You want something that doesn't exist. Sorry...

DogRomeo
01-20-2012, 09:23
Cool :cool:

Hope its available soon for you. :wavey:

Personally I doubt it but it's not like I'm going to go out and just buy something else now that I know what I want, thanks in part to posting this thread and many others like it on my other forums I typically lurk on.
When I get it, I'll do pix, video, RR etc.

DogRomeo
01-20-2012, 09:25

Sorry chief

DogRomeo
01-20-2012, 09:31
That's because you don't know any better.

Checkering front strap and trigger guard ~ $200 + or - plus refinish.
Night sights ~ $150 and up.
"upgraded" Hammer and trigger. ~ $80 to 300 depending how good or half-*** you do it.
Good mags will cost you $60 a piece before tuning from Dawson.

Have fun there sparky. :cool:
You're really doing everything you can to make this a big deal and it's not. Night sights are about $100, the front strap is fine since it already has lines on it so that means I can pass on the trigger guard as well being that it's aesthetic not functional, the hammer and trigger are already done so IDK why you even listed them, so that leaves the paint job & quality mags.
So for the sake of assuming, how much more than $600 is the gun going to cost prior to any mods being done in your opinion? Oh, and I love when you call me sparky!!!!!!!!:wavey:

DogRomeo
01-20-2012, 09:39
:agree:

Look when people act like they're holier than thou I feel like I've been taken a swipe at. I don't get bothered by it, it's not personal, my feelings don't get hurt; it's just that sometimes I feel like if I don't stand up for myself and say BACK OFF then the friggin trolls are just gonna pile on and have a field day. Got it? If somebody is offended by me saying "Chief" and they need me to call the whaaaambulance and get them their binky and stuff, no problem! In the Army, it's really no big deal when men disagree as long as they keep it civil and don't start insulting each other. That's my frame of reference and that's how I am.

Now, when people make suggestions within the realm of reality, offer actual ideas on how it can be done, or simply add to the discussion in a meaningful way, then YES I AM MORE THAN HAPPY TO BE COOL. If not then I don't care who thinks what about what I said because they're not even saying anything worth a damn in the first place, are they?

If you have nothing better to do than say something along the lines of "my 1911 is the best, your idea sucks, you're an idiot" then why even post in the first place? THAT'S THE DEFINITION OF TROLLING!

DogRomeo
01-20-2012, 09:44
And I want a brand new Mustang GT for about $10, but that ain't happening... You want something that doesn't exist. Sorry...

Agreed, but the Rock is very close and since I said that my budget is $1000, I'm definitely ok with adding the sights, mags, and paint since the hardest part was simply FINDING one with the widebody and rail on a 1911 style frame for under $1000. It's not perfect but I think I'll be very happy with the results given my parameters.

MD357
01-20-2012, 10:52
You're really doing everything you can to make this a big deal and it's not.

Actually it's not a big deal to ME, because like I said, I've been down this road before. However, it seems that you are on a budget... which is fine.... I'm just relaying some reality. :supergrin:

Night sights are about $100

For a glock maybe. :cool: Also....who's gonna put them on? You?

I can pass on the trigger guard as well being that it's aesthetic not functional, the hammer and trigger are already done so IDK why you even listed them, so that leaves the paint job & quality mags.

Alright, so basically we are cutting corners on the original list. No stippling, in lieu of cheesy serrations. The hammer and trigger isn't "upgraded" unless you consider what's on a stock RIA "upgraded" then if so, then like I said.... you just need to expose yourself to a little higher quality. More importantly, you proably need to reconsider switching out key small parts on this gun if you are going to use this for self defense or shoot more than a few hundred rounds a year.

So for the sake of assuming, how much more than $600 is the gun going to cost prior to any mods being done in your opinion?

Just going by YOUR figures and adjusted needs, wouldn't you be at ~$1000 easily with a coating, night sights, and a few mags?

Look when people act like they're holier than thou I feel like I've been taken a swipe at. I don't get bothered by it, it's not personal, my feelings don't get hurt; it's just that sometimes I feel like if I don't stand up for myself and say BACK OFF then the friggin trolls are just gonna pile on and have a field day.

If the advice given didn't bother you..... you wouldn't see it as people acting "holier than thou." Seems you were set on all the advice you were willing to listen to BEFORE you started this thread.

bac1023
01-20-2012, 17:19
Not to threadjack (too much, anyway), but what makes this "not a 1911?" I have, from time to time, wondered what changes to the design take a pistol from "1911" to "not-1911."

The double stack thing, I guess. However, a real purist to argue many things don't make guns true 1911s.

bac1023
01-20-2012, 17:21
Look when people act like they're holier than thou I feel like I've been taken a swipe at. I don't get bothered by it, it's not personal, my feelings don't get hurt; it's just that sometimes I feel like if I don't stand up for myself and say BACK OFF then the friggin trolls are just gonna pile on and have a field day. Got it? If somebody is offended by me saying "Chief" and they need me to call the whaaaambulance and get them their binky and stuff, no problem! In the Army, it's really no big deal when men disagree as long as they keep it civil and don't start insulting each other. That's my frame of reference and that's how I am.

Now, when people make suggestions within the realm of reality, offer actual ideas on how it can be done, or simply add to the discussion in a meaningful way, then YES I AM MORE THAN HAPPY TO BE COOL. If not then I don't care who thinks what about what I said because they're not even saying anything worth a damn in the first place, are they?

If you have nothing better to do than say something along the lines of "my 1911 is the best, your idea sucks, you're an idiot" then why even post in the first place? THAT'S THE DEFINITION OF TROLLING!

Calm down please.

Threads like this are what makes this forum so entertaining. ;)

DogRomeo
01-20-2012, 21:37
Actually it's not a big deal to ME, because like I said, I've been down this road before. However, it seems that you are on a budget... which is fine.... I'm just relaying some reality. :supergrin:

For a glock maybe. :cool: Also....who's gonna put them on? You?

Alright, so basically we are cutting corners on the original list. No stippling, in lieu of cheesy serrations. The hammer and trigger isn't "upgraded" unless you consider what's on a stock RIA "upgraded" then if so, then like I said.... you just need to expose yourself to a little higher quality. More importantly, you proably need to reconsider switching out key small parts on this gun if you are going to use this for self defense or shoot more than a few hundred rounds a year.

Just going by YOUR figures and adjusted needs, wouldn't you be at ~$1000 easily with a coating, night sights, and a few mags?

If the advice given didn't bother you..... you wouldn't see it as people acting "holier than thou." Seems you were set on all the advice you were willing to listen to BEFORE you started this thread.
Thanks for your comments.

DogRomeo
01-20-2012, 21:39
The double stack thing, I guess. However, a real purist to argue many things don't make guns true 1911s.

I've asked this before, possibly elsewhere: when you put a 100 round drum, a foregrip, a folding stock, a quad rail and a red dot on an AK, why is still an AK but not when you do it to a 1911? I believe that RIA is going to call their new gun a 2011 which should satisfy all of us.

DogRomeo
01-20-2012, 21:42
Calm down please.

Threads like this are what makes this forum so entertaining. ;)

You're misinterpreting state of mind with attitude. I read for hours and hours and hours on here and many other forums and never comment unless it's something for me, personally. While I'm on my thread, I'll say what I feel needs to be said. If I feel like I need to say something then I will. If you don't like it, that's too bad man. I'm not insulting anybody and don't want to be insulted.

DogRomeo
01-20-2012, 21:44
OP: You may not intend to do so, but I read your posts as arclight did. Noone here owes you an answer, the ones you recieved were people offering experienced opinions simply to be helpful.
There are more than a couple of people that posted here that know more about the 1911 than JMB did when he invented it.
If basic courtesy is not your style then perhaps you need to frequent a different forum?

If you don't have something to add about a 1911 style pistol then I don't know why you're doing this. Let's talk about guns, not each other.

20South
01-20-2012, 21:45
I believe that RIA is going to call their new gun a 2011 which should satisfy all of us.

That's pretty much what all the manufacturers call these, which is why its not a 1911. Go check out the STI website, they have a whole section of 2011s - which is where I would get mine from. I love their "Perfect 10".

DogRomeo
01-20-2012, 21:47
I still say you should get a Glock 21SF and put the rest of the money in extra mags and ammo for practice. Don't get all hung up on the whole 1911 thing. You'd be better of starting with a single stack framed 1911 anyways.

Well your opinion is one that's been expressed and responded to before so I'll say again, I don't want a non-1911 style pistol and when I do it won't be another Glock. I have one and love it.

DogRomeo
01-20-2012, 21:53
Dog, I have owned two RIA 1911a2's. One new, one "like new".

Nether one was reliable. They have feeding problems even with hardball. I'm of the opinion it is a magazine design issue, but couldn't prove it.

But the big problem is the soft steel they are made of. It is so soft you can almost cut it with a sharp knife. That means they beat themselves to death. I wore out both mine before I could get the feeding problems rectified and I only shoot a thousand rounds or so (of .45ACP) a month.

. . at this point I can honestly say the only way I would own another RIA is if it was gifted to me. And then I'd trade it off just as quickly as possible.

But, well, you know; if you don't shoot a lot . . . that may not ever be an issue for you.

I hear ya man & appreciate you sharing your experience, which happens to be in the minority from the Rock owners I've listened and talked to, some of which have several in their collection all of which have never hiccupped or had a single FTE or FTF. I could go on any forum and hear that exact same kind of thing about every maker out there right?
Look at it this way: I'm gonna be one of the 1st ones to get one and any issues I have YOU ALL will benefit from if you want to hear about it. Now that may be in about 6 or 9 months from now, who knows?
The point is, I like what I see and like the maker. I have a friend who is an armorer who I deployed with and he does smithing on the side for his own and some of his friend's guns and he loves Rocks as well. We could all name a major brand or brands we'd never buy, for me RIA is not on that list as of right now.

DogRomeo
01-20-2012, 21:57
That's pretty much what all the manufacturers call these, which is why its not a 1911. Go check out the STI website, they have a whole section of 2011s - which is where I would get mine from. I love their "Perfect 10".

STI is so far out of my price range I'd have to rob somebody with my Glock to get one.

20South
01-20-2012, 22:00
STI is so far out of my price range I'd have to rob somebody with my Glock to get one.

Now that's funny :rofl:

ancient_serpent
01-20-2012, 22:07
If you don't have something to add about a 1911 style pistol then I don't know why you're doing this. Let's talk about guns, not each other.

PM Sent.

DogRomeo
01-20-2012, 22:20
Now that's funny :rofl:
ba-doom-chhhhhhhhhh thank you, thank you! Tip your waitress, try the veal. I'm also performing on an internet-wide gun forum tour!
:upeyes:

DogRomeo
01-20-2012, 22:21
PM Sent.

PM replied to

Quack
01-21-2012, 10:29
the RIA will be out in march in 9mm & .45ACP

DogRomeo
01-21-2012, 10:41
the RIA will be out in march in 9mm & .45ACP

My heart rate just increased a bit.:wow: Thanks Quack!

Quack
01-21-2012, 10:58

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/Other/SHOT-Show-Day-2/i-M86Jwnd/0/L/DSC6661-L.jpg

DogRomeo
01-21-2012, 11:20
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/Other/SHOT-Show-Day-2/i-M86Jwnd/0/L/DSC6661-L.jpg

That thing's a damn beast. When I checked out the site a couple months back and saw it :faint::wow:

Quack
01-21-2012, 11:41
felt good, but i like 2011's

craig19
01-21-2012, 13:14

I didn't know somone was making a replica of Robocop's gun.:whistling:

20South
01-21-2012, 18:44

Curse you Don!

Quack
01-21-2012, 19:41
feels good. if i were to buy a 10mm, that would probably be it.

20South
01-21-2012, 19:52
feels good. if i were to buy a 10mm, that would probably be it.

I love the cartridge. My G20 was my go to for years. Got it back around 97-98. Started moving into .45 1911s and the G20 has been relegated to safe duty with the very occasional woods trip. That perfect ten is a cool piece and might make it into the safe once I start selling off some of the other stuff. Is it going to be a giant tweaking project or are the 2011's and tuned mags pretty much set?

Quack
01-21-2012, 19:54
they'll probably need a little tweaking, but not sure on the 10mm mags.

20South
01-21-2012, 19:59

I guess that's part of the draw.

BuckyP
01-21-2012, 21:39

I'm running "10mm mags" in my .40 STI (.40 loaded long). They are not tuned and work just fine.

Spats McGee
01-24-2012, 05:15
Thanks.

BuckyP
01-24-2012, 05:34
I often wonder where the line is 1911 vs non 1911. Sure, STI started the whole 2011 thing, but Para Ordnance and Caspian wide body guns were still called 1911s, or at least "Hi-Cap" 1911s.

Shorten the slide (commander, officers) still 1911?
Shorten the grip (officers), still 1911?
Angle the frame (Bobtail), still 1911?

Widen the frame, still 1911... no????

:dunno::dunno::dunno:

Mayhem like Me
01-24-2012, 07:16
I'll be watching to see if the magazines actually work in those, that could be the base for a nice duty rig

DogRomeo
01-24-2012, 22:09
I often wonder where the line is 1911 vs non 1911. Sure, STI started the whole 2011 thing, but Para Ordnance and Caspian wide body guns were still called 1911s, or at least "Hi-Cap" 1911s.

What I got from quite a few members here & elsewhere are along the lines that "once it's a double stack or has a rail it's not a 1911". I understand those straight-forward parameters and I have posed a few different similar scenarios in reply like this:
Then if you buy a mag which has 10 round capacity then you're no longer using a 1911 since you've significantly added to the capacity of the initial gun JMB designed, right? What about how there are 1911s of practically any popular pistol round available? Those must not be 1911s then since Browning designed it for the .45.
Please, anybody, feel free to chime in. I have yet to hear much other than "cuz that's the way it is", which if that's how ya feel then that's cool, just doesn't really tell me much about how you came to that conclusion, does it?:dunno:

Mayhem like Me
01-25-2012, 12:03
Most are variants of the 1911 A1 anyway so No there are very few 1911s in service..

bac1023
01-25-2012, 14:29

I consider the others to be smaller 1911s. They're still single action, single stack designs.

I don't consider double stacks to be 1911s.

YMMV

B.Reid
01-25-2012, 16:06

What is it?

Quack
01-25-2012, 16:08
What is it?

looks like a Para 14.45 Limited.

BuckyP
01-25-2012, 16:32
What is it?

looks like a Para 14.45 Limited.

It's a Para P14 frame, but that is the only thing Para about it. Clark barrel, Caspian slide, Ed Brown internals. Also, factory Paras high caps have ramped barrels, this is a non ramped (which is preferable in .45 caliber "1911" guns).

kellogg10mm
06-11-2012, 11:34
Adding all that stuff to it negates the point of buying one out of the box, don't you think? There goes the price too, so it's a no go. Thanks anyways.
Your funny.... You want a Lambo when all you have is Honda money

Glockdude1
06-11-2012, 11:50
Every time I get the urge to buy my 1st 1911, I stumble across the same problem: it's got THIS but it doesn't have THAT.:steamed: I just want a 1911a2 which has all the cool tactical features, stock, for under a grand:

double stack
night sights
tac rail

Everything but the double stack.
http://i50.tinypic.com/148m6wl.jpg

Springfield Mc Operator.

:thumbsup:

ca survivor
06-11-2012, 11:55
[QUOTE=Quack;18455036]nope, i saw that, but he's asking for a Unicorn or the Easter Bunny....not going to happen.
:rofl:

fnfalman
06-11-2012, 12:22
Zombie thread!!!

DogRomeo
06-11-2012, 15:44
After palming several used paras and STIs I can say I certainly do like the feel of a double stack in my hands. However, I haven't been able to shoot any of them, but that hasn't dissuaded me from continuing my search in hopes of doing so prior to laying down my hard-earned money.

DogRomeo
06-11-2012, 15:57
Everything but the double stack.
http://i50.tinypic.com/148m6wl.jpg

Springfield Mc Operator.

:thumbsup:

That's def at the top of my non-double stack list. Awesome 1911 :wow:

Glockdude1
06-11-2012, 15:59
That's def at the top of my non-double stack list. Awesome 1911 :wow:

Shoot one and you will buy it!!

:supergrin:

DogRomeo
06-11-2012, 16:07
I've only shot a few 1911s (Kimber, S&W, Colt) so doubt I'd be qualified to say how great one is over the other. That being said, I do know quality firearms and recognize the difference between a Rock and Springer, so I'm sure you're right!

glockin-45
06-11-2012, 16:35
ba-doom-chhhhhhhhhh thank you, thank you! Tip your waitress, try the veal. I'm also performing on an internet-wide gun forum tour!
:upeyes:
Dog, Now that's funny. I've never been into double stacks
having only held an ol' S&W mod 59, 9mm. But that RI looks tough, hope you get it.

glock2740
06-11-2012, 17:20

What kind of funky trigger is that?

BuckyP
06-11-2012, 20:17
What kind of funky trigger is that?

According to the notes I have, it's an older Gun Craft trigger. It has a great feel to it, as the sides are slightly rounded.

DogRomeo
06-11-2012, 22:42
Dog, Now that's funny. I've never been into double stacks
having only held an ol' S&W mod 59, 9mm. But that RI looks tough, hope you get it.

The only 45 I have interest in is the 1911/2011 platform and I love the look & function of the aforementioned RIA. Thanks for the post sir :)

mr.scott
06-13-2012, 11:59
If that gun comes out, it'll probably be $700. Then you'll most likely only be able to find it online, which means shipping and ffl fee so $750ish. Night sights $100, $20-$40 for install, front strap checkering another $200. $150ish to re-finish the frame.

So a little over you $1k budget but it will be what your want.

DogRomeo
06-13-2012, 17:03
If that gun comes out, it'll probably be $700. Then you'll most likely only be able to find it online, which means shipping and ffl fee so $750ish. Night sights $100, $20-$40 for install, front strap checkering another $200. $150ish to re-finish the frame.

So a little over you $1k budget but it will be what your want.

I agree, prob $700 max though IMHO, but I won't be altering the front strap cuz its got some cheap ass lil lines on it already. That being said, I'll still end up buying the sights on GB for about $75, at least 2 more mags, and some thin grips. I can get the refinishing done a bit cheaper and I love the SA operator look, so I'll shoot for that style.

DogRomeo
06-13-2012, 17:09
Your funny.... You want a Lambo when all you have is Honda money

Actually I do have "lambo money", however for this purchase I'm choosing to set my parameters up to get the most bang for my buck. Perhaps I'll scroll through your other 3 posts to see what other jewels of knowledge you're sharing with the forum should I feel like not laughing.