Beretta Nano vs Kahr PM9 Size Comparison [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Beretta Nano vs Kahr PM9 Size Comparison

Kahala
01-19-2012, 14:26
Well I just got my Nano and just finished polishing my kahr! If you want any other pictures/angles just let me know.

bandit99
01-19-2012, 14:36
Nice pics. What the trigger like on the Nano? I've got a PM9 and P9. Just curious.

bandit99
01-19-2012, 14:39
One more question. Is the slide lock/release lever flush in the frame?

Bilbo Bagins
01-19-2012, 14:41
Did you use Mother's chrome polish on your Kahr :whistling:

mj9mm
01-19-2012, 14:41
wow, a baby glock:wow:

diamondd2
01-19-2012, 14:51
I want to see comparison pictures of the Nano and a Glock 26. I handled a Nano in the GS and it did seem pretty big.

mj9mm
01-19-2012, 15:03
the 26 is thicker and a lttle longer, but holds 10 rounds

diamondd2
01-19-2012, 15:24
the 26 is thicker and a lttle longer, but holds 10 rounds

Yes, i know, I have one. I just don't have a Nano. After handling the Nano at the store then the 26 at home I think the size difference is negligible. I would like to see side by side pics.

Kahala
01-19-2012, 15:24
I want to see comparison pictures of the Nano and a Glock 26. I handled a Nano in the GS and it did seem pretty big.

I have a g26 also so Ill put up comparison photos later tonight or tomorrow

diamondd2
01-19-2012, 15:25
I have a g26 also so Ill put up comparison photos later tonight or tomorrow

Thanks.

Kahala
01-19-2012, 15:26
Did you use Mother's chrome polish on your Kahr :whistling:

Hehehehe yes sir ....http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1395868...I just started this DIY polish thread!

Kahala
01-19-2012, 16:15
The main difference in size is the nano is a little heavier and about .2 in longer. It is also about .3 (its .2 after measuring) inch thinner than the Kahr because it doesn't have an external slide release.

The main difference in trigger...I would say my kahr trigger is about 6 or 7lbs (I polished internals) and the nano is about 8 or 9lbs, both break at the very end and don't reset untill almost all the way forward. The Nano is more Glock like in its feel.

I like the 3 dot sights on the nano better than the dot the i on the kahr.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-19-2012, 17:08
The main difference in size is the nano is a little heavier and about .2 in longer. It is also about .3 inch thinner than the Kahr because it doesn't have an external slide release.

The main difference in trigger...I would say my kahr trigger is about 6 or 7lbs (I polished internals) and the nano is about 8 or 9lbs, both break at the very end and don't reset untill almost all the way forward. The Nano is more Glock like in its feel.

Great pics and info. My wife is interested in the nano, I already have the PM9 that I like a lot.

WHEC724
01-19-2012, 17:11
'Love the polish job on the PM9 slide.

ranger88
01-19-2012, 17:13
Nice polishing job! Did you hand polish it or use a dremel/power tool of some kind?

The pics are great, but I feel like we need a quarter or something for scale. They both look so tiny. :supergrin:

Kahala
01-19-2012, 18:09
Nice polishing job! Did you hand polish it or use a dremel/power tool of some kind?

The pics are great, but I feel like we need a quarter or something for scale. They both look so tiny. :supergrin:

I hand sanded and used a dremel to polish...Ill work on a scale image

Caladan
01-19-2012, 18:57
Nice pics. What the trigger like on the Nano? I've got a PM9 and P9. Just curious.

One more question. Is the slide lock/release lever flush in the frame?

The Nano's trigger is indeed more "Glock-like". It's length of pull is a bit longer than the PM9, and it does stack up a bit at the end.

Pull weights w/the electronic scale, averaged over five pulls:
PM9: 5lbs 6oz.
Nano 6lbs 13oz.

The Nano does not have an external slide lock/release lever. Internal only, so slingshotting only.

Despite the PM9's slightly shorter length and lighter trigger, I have come to prefer the Nano. The Nano feels more solid and locks up tighter, and it shoots smaller groups. I much prefer the Nano's sights over the PM, and the Nano shoots to point of aim at defense distances, whereas my PM does not. But the main thing that makes me prefer the Nano is that is has not had a single flaw in over 500 rounds, and I cannot say that about my PM9.

Once I find a decent holster for the Nano, it will replace my PM9 as my most often-carried handgun.

Caladan
01-19-2012, 19:00
Nice polishing job!

+1! :thumbsup:

Bilbo Bagins
01-19-2012, 21:08
Hehehehe yes sir ....http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1395868...I just started this DIY polish thread!

I just thought it was funny. The Kahr was missing the front and back sights, and it look extra shinny.

I was thinkin' you were up to something :rofl:

Kahala
01-20-2012, 01:04
Nano vs PM9 Size Comparison + 9mm HST/Black Talon, and Quarter
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5996/dsc6659j.jpg (http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5996/dsc6659j.jpg)

Nano vs PM9 + Twenty Dollar Bill
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2921/dsc6662o.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/dsc6662o.jpg/)

Width Comparison (height not true on carpet and Nano has a mag in)
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1627/dsc6677.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1627/dsc6677.jpg)

All 3 Size Comparison
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1807/dsc6683g.jpg (http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1807/dsc6683g.jpg)

Nano vs G26 (G26 is closer to bottom of picture and its still longer)
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6263/dsc6674p.jpg (http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6263/dsc6674p.jpg)

G26 and Nano are both 4.17in tall, I just couldn't get the Nano to stand straight so it looks a little taller
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/1076/dsc6700q.jpg (http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/1076/dsc6700q.jpg)

acaligunner
01-20-2012, 02:37

Does the Nano have The Steel guide inserts ( like the Glock 26 ), or
Is it built like the pm9 ( no metal guide inserts ) ?

Also, does or has it shaved any polymer ( shavings ) from the
Frame. I had a Kahr PM9 that would ' shave ' pieces off the frame.

Thanks

Doc8404
01-20-2012, 04:42
Great comparisons. Three pistols I've been thinking about lately. It really is too bad NY doesn't have ranges that allow you to rent pistols to test them prior to purchasing.
Thanks again for spending the time and effort.

G26S239
01-20-2012, 06:33
These are good reference pics Kahala, thanks. I already have 2 26s and an MK9 so I can grok the size of the Nano pretty good from these pics.

hamster
01-20-2012, 06:45
Does the Nano have The Steel guide inserts ( like the Glock 26 ), or

Also, does or has it shaved any polymer ( shavings ) from the
Frame. I had a Kahr PM9 that would ' shave ' pieces off the frame.

Thanks

I had a PM9 that didn't shave and a CM9 that did. I figure they just do a poor job of machining down that plastic and rely on the breakin period to "shave" it down to spec.

Anyway, the PM9/CM9 DO have metal guides in the frame. They are just fairly small and easy to miss. There is a set up front over the dust cover and a tiny set at the back of the frame. This is what the slide actually glides on. The plastic "guide rails" are just that, they are just there to ease re-assembly.

Although I never had any side related problems with my PM9, I DO have a preference for more metal in the rails. I just feel more comfortable with the guide rail in say an LC9 over the PM9 or the rails in an M&P over a glock (even though I have the glocks). It is illogical but I see where you are coming from.

jellis11
01-20-2012, 07:02
Thanks a lot... Now I really do want the Nano too!

Great comparison, thank you!

Bruce M
01-20-2012, 07:48
Thanks very much. Good comparison pictures.

acaligunner
01-20-2012, 09:40
I had a PM9 that didn't shave and a CM9 that did. I figure they just do a poor job of machining down that plastic and rely on the breakin period to "shave" it down to spec.

Anyway, the PM9/CM9 DO have metal guides in the frame. They are just fairly small and easy to miss. There is a set up front over the dust cover and a tiny set at the back of the frame. This is what the slide actually glides on. The plastic "guide rails" are just that, they are just there to ease re-assembly.

Although I never had any side related problems with my PM9, I DO have a preference for more metal in the rails. I just feel more comfortable with the guide rail in say an LC9 over the PM9 or the rails in an M&P over a glock (even though I have the glocks). It is illogical but I see where you are coming from.

I always like to see some metal on these small pistols, I know
everything is built right, but a shiver did go down my spine, when I
See bits of the frame come off.

The pistol still performed and shot well, but like you said, it
Was just the pistol 'settling' down.

Thank you

frank_drebin
01-20-2012, 09:52
I always like to see some metal on these small pistols, I know
everything is built right, but a shiver did go down my spine, when I
See bits of the frame come off.

The pistol still performed and shot well, but like you said, it
Was just the pistol 'settling' down.

Thank you

The Kahrs have metal, the guide rails are steel. The plastic rails are only there for assembly.

not my pictures (nebodaky posted them in another thread many moons ago):

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b103/AlbertD/DSC02019edited.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b103/AlbertD/DSC02024.jpg

coachg
01-20-2012, 10:57
Once I find a decent holster for the Nano, it will replace my PM9 as my most often-carried handgun.

I have a Nano and have been making quite a few. Check them out here.

http://glocktalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=20077&title=beretta-nanocustom-kydex-holsters&cat=8

Thanks,

Paul

Grabbrass
01-20-2012, 11:11

That's why you get the pm9 with the factory night sights. :thumbsup:

hogship
01-20-2012, 12:37
http://glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=222159&d=1327008199

This is a photograph that I find revealing about the special patent Kahr owns regarding the side-stepped feed ramp. Because the Nano can't use this patent, the distance between the top of the trigger guard and where the frame meets the slide is a longer distance on the Nano. The overall height is somewhat the same on the two pistols, but the Beretta Nano has a noticeably shorter front grip area than that of the Kahr PM9. This means you can't get as much finger purchase on the Nano as you can with the Kahr.

This may not be much of a factor for those with smaller hands, but those who have extra large hands could have problems getting enough finger purchase on the Nano.

ooc

Caladan
01-20-2012, 18:27
This may not be much of a factor for those with smaller hands, but those who have extra large hands could have problems getting enough finger purchase on the Nano.

ooc

I am 6'3"/230, with hands to match. My regular winter gloves are XL, and my motorcycle gloves are XXL. I have no problems at all gripping my Nano. But then again I have no problems gripping my Seecamp either, which is substantially smaller than my Nano.

Of course, I know how to grip a handgun, but I also realize that not everyone has this type of knowledge (I don't mean you)....

Kahala
01-20-2012, 19:36

ooc

I can actually get 2 fingers and 1/2 of my pinky on the nano but not on the Kahr because the magazine on the nano is flush with the frame and the kahrs isn't (no magazines in the photo). I also notice the Kahr grip doesn't come straight down it's kind of angled in the front and rear of the grip so it makes my hand slip more when shooting, and the polymer texture is more comfortable on the Nano. For some reason Kahr and Glock make the little square texture on the front grip that is very uncomfortable and leaves imprints on my fingers when gripping. I just add a Hogue grip to remedy the problem.

I took them both to the range today and I got better groupings with the Nano...only because it has sights on it and the Kahr doesn't.

I also put 7 rounds into a Nano magazine by accident. It is a very tight squeeze but it worked on both the magazines I have and it gave me no problems. I wonder if I could shave 1mm off the bottom of the follower to fit 7 nicely(may be my next project, along with making a Kahr mag fit flush).

TF2Addict
01-21-2012, 01:34
It is also about .3 inch thinner than the Kahr because it doesn't have an external slide release.

.3 inches? !

emopunker2004
01-21-2012, 01:50
.3 inches? !
Damn, that's near a CM :wow:

Bob Hafler
01-21-2012, 07:46
Thanks

Don't mean to rain on your parade but,as Frank_drebin has clearly shown You my friend do not have a clue what your talking about.

Nakanokalronin
01-21-2012, 08:38
The bore axis on the Nano is just way too high. I seriously think Beretta should of just made it in 9mm only instead of starting it off in a .40 platform. Size wise, its bigger then the Solo and recently introduced P938, yet holds the same amount of rounds. I haven't seen one in person yet but from the hundreds of pictures I've seen online compared to other guns, it seems a tad on the big side.

The Beretta forum seems to have plenty of people with extraction issues so I'm not sure if the kinks have been worked out yet. If they could somehow make a tiny 92 or Px4 with the same dimensions as the P938 or Solo:wow:, then I'd defiantly be interested.

In any case, I am glad to see Beretta is gearing some of their line towards the ever growing conceal carry market.

jb1911
01-21-2012, 09:19
The bore axis on the Nano is just way too high. I seriously think Beretta should of just made it in 9mm only instead of starting it off in a .40 platform. Size wise, its bigger then the Solo and recently introduced P938, yet holds the same amount of rounds. I haven't seen one in person yet but from the hundreds of pictures I've seen online compared to other guns, it seems a tad on the big side.

The Beretta forum seems to have plenty of people with extraction issues so I'm not sure if the kinks have been worked out yet. If they could somehow make a tiny 92 or Px4 with the same dimensions as the P938 or Solo:wow:, then I'd defiantly be interested.

In any case, I am glad to see Beretta is gearing some of their line towards the ever growing conceal carry market.

I don't think the bore axis is too high at all. The recoil is very managable and it's quick to get back on target. You should shoot one sometime or at least handle one.

Caladan
01-21-2012, 09:37
Size wise, its bigger then the Solo and recently introduced P938, yet holds the same amount of rounds. I haven't seen one in person yet but from the hundreds of pictures I've seen online compared to other guns, it seems a tad on the big side.

In reality, the Solo and the Nano are for all practical purposes the same size. The Solo is about a quarter-inch thicker, the Nano about a quarter-inch taller. They are for the most part equal in length. IOW, though they may be shaped differently, the size of the box they come in will be pretty much the same, and the effort to conceal will also be pretty much the same. Sorry, don't know the specs for the upcoming P938.

The Solo has the advantage of being a much more handsome handgun (the Nano is just butt-ugly). The Nano has the advantage of being much less expensive, and in my experience much more reliable.

Caladan
01-21-2012, 09:39
I don't think the bore axis is too high at all. The recoil is very managable and it's quick to get back on target. You should shoot one sometime or at least handle one.

+1

The Nano's bore is not too high. It's just too high for some people...

hogship
01-21-2012, 09:57
+1

The Nano's bore is not too high. It's just too high for some people...

Probably true.......

However, on such a small/light pistol with such a small grip area, the bore height does seem to be a much larger and more critical factor than it would be on a larger gun..........

ooc

frank_drebin
01-21-2012, 10:21
The main difference in size is the nano is a little heavier and about .2 in longer. It is also about .3 inch thinner than the Kahr because it doesn't have an external slide release.

I understand that you are saying that a Kahr's slide release sticks out .3" but that's splitting hairs. Both the Nano and the PM/CM/CW/P Kahrs are .90" wide. The Nano is not ".3" thinner than a Kahr. I would rather have a slide release. I cannot imagine a carry situation where that small, flat lever would make a difference.

Kahala
01-21-2012, 10:41
I understand that you are saying that a Kahr's slide release sticks out .3" but that's splitting hairs. Both the Nano and the PM/CM/CW/P Kahrs are .90" wide. The Nano is not ".3" thinner than a Kahr. I would rather have a slide release. I cannot imagine a carry situation where that small, flat lever would make a difference.

I'm saying if you measure the largest external dimensions of the gun, not just the slide, the pm is wider than .9 its at least 1.2in thick. The slide stop and the pin for it extrude out both sides. The actual slide on the PM9 is .9 but the entire Beretta is .9. I'm just trying to let people know of any minor difference in dimensions because they might consider buying one of these guns.

I can image a carry situation where the lever would matter. I have seen people hit the slide stop on my Kahr by accident and lock it back. The pm9 is small and can be hard for some people to find a place to put their thumbs(not me). If the Beretta has a FTE it's more of a problem without the slide stop lever, but if you can't find room for your hand try holding the Nano because it has more space for fingers without the external slide stop.

Both guns are awesome and BASICALLY the exact same size, but not exactly. I would say the Nano is .2 inches longer and the pm9 is .2 inches thicker, most people would just say they are the same. I am able to squeeze 7 rounds into a Nano magazine but can only get it in the gun with the slide locked back, so it can carry 7 in any back up magazines which is nice.

Nakanokalronin
01-21-2012, 11:16

I hope to soon. My LGS will probably put the first one they get right in the rental case since they did the same with the SR1911 and Solo. I am judging by what I see online but there are plenty of comparison pictures that don't make it seem any less than a subcompact in size. I guess I'll see soon enough.

Kahala
01-21-2012, 11:28
I am judging by what I see online but there are plenty of comparison pictures that don't make it seem any less than a subcompact in size. I guess I'll see soon enough.

Subcompact Glock? It is smaller in length but mostly width when pocket carrying. There is no way I could pocket carry a any Glock(unless in cargo pants where it would just slap against my legs all day...amongst other things), but the nano will fit in baggy pants(to prevent printing) or a coat pocket nicely for pocket carry.

Nakanokalronin
01-21-2012, 11:34
In reality, the Solo and the Nano are for all practical purposes the same size. The Solo is about a quarter-inch thicker, the Nano about a quarter-inch taller. They are for the most part equal in length. IOW, though they may be shaped differently, the size of the box they come in will be pretty much the same, and the effort to conceal will also be pretty much the same. Sorry, don't know the specs for the upcoming P938.

The Solo has the advantage of being a much more handsome handgun (the Nano is just butt-ugly). The Nano has the advantage of being much less expensive, and in my experience much more reliable.

Comparison specs between the two.

Beretta Nano Kimber Solo
OA Length 5.63″ 5.5″
OA height 4.17″ 3.9″
Barrel 3.07″ 2.7″
Width 90″ .995″
Sight Radius 4.92″ 4.40″
Weight 17.67 oz. 17 oz.
Capacity 6 + 1 6 + 1
Trigger Striker Striker

The Solo is smaller even though it's barely noticeable in the specs.The width is not quite a 1/4" difference especially if we're talking about controls that cause zero printing issues. As far as reliability, go over to the Beretta forum sometime and see the numerous feeding and ejection issues their having with their Nanos. My Solo has been perfect as are many other Solo owners and I'm sure the same goes with the Nano.

Although I won't be trading in my Solo for a P938, If it's very reliable and Sig keeps up with the demand, I can see it out selling both the Nano and Solo very quickly.

I'll rent a Nano when it becomes available but even if I was interested in one, it seems they still don't have the kinks worked out.

Here's my Solo and P238. They're basically the same size minus the width.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg225/scaled.php?server=225&filename=solop238compare3.jpg&res=medium

Nakanokalronin
01-21-2012, 11:35
Subcompact Glock? It is smaller in length but mostly width when pocket carrying. There is no way I could pocket carry a any Glock(unless in cargo pants where it would just slap against my legs all day...amongst other things), but the nano will fit in baggy pants(to prevent printing) or a coat pocket nicely for pocket carry.

Where did I mention Glock? :dunno:

Kahala
01-21-2012, 11:39
Where did I mention Glock? :dunno:

You did not, you just said subcompact, that's why I asked. Subcompact is a very relative term.

Kahala
01-21-2012, 11:57
The Solo is smaller even though it's barely noticeable in the specs.The width is not quite a 1/4" difference especially if we're talking about controls that cause zero printing issues. As far as reliability, go over to the Beretta forum sometime and see the numerous feeding and ejection issues their having with their Nanos. My Solo has been perfect as are many other Solo owners and I'm sure the same goes with the Nano.

I'll rent a Nano when it becomes available but even if I was interested in one, it seems they still don't have the kinks worked out.

Kimber is an excellent comparison if you don't compare MSRP, I'm surprised the nano weighs more, or should I say impressed the solo weighs less.

Nano=475
Solo =747

I got my nano for less than 400 bucks and have had no FTE through the first 200 I put down range. I can only speak for my nano. Just like my PM9, I hear other people complaining about problems online but I have over 800 rounds with no problems so far.

More important than a FTE there is something on the SIG website it could cause serious injury or death if you have a SIG SAUER P238 with a serial number between DA000501 and DA003216. http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/P238upgrade.aspx

Nakanokalronin
01-21-2012, 12:03
Kimber is an excellent comparison if you don't compare MSRP, I'm surprised the nano weighs more, or should I say impressed the solo weighs less.

Nano=475
Solo =747

I got my nano for less than 400

Yea, so much for polymer saving weight. Look at the new XDs, 29oz empty which is more than 2 ounces heavier then my all metal Ultra Carry.

I got my Solo for $600 but I'm very satisfied with the reliability and the fact that it has a SAO trigger with controls similar to my Ultra Carry and P238. It comes down to what you want in a carry gun I guess. I think there may be a lot of people that see the Nano as the tiny Glock that they'll probably never produce.

Kahala
01-21-2012, 12:04
Yea, so much for polymer saving weight. Look at the new XDs, 29oz empty.

I got my Solo for $600 but I'm very satisfied with the reliability and the fact that it has a SAO trigger with controls similar to my Ultra Carry and P238. It comes down to what you want in a carry gun I guess. I think there may be a lot of people that see the Nano as the tiny Glock that they'll probably never produce.

Yeah some people refuse to carry polymer period, and for those people there is a kimber solo. hehe

My brother ownes a kimber and I really like their guns. They just seem expensive unless I'm looking at 1911's, 600 is an awsome price I would have seriously considered that over a pm9 (about the same in price)

Kahala
01-21-2012, 12:09
Kimber says the aluminum and steel solos weigh the same, that cant be right can it? Now you have me looking at solos hehe

Nakanokalronin
01-21-2012, 12:14
Kimber says the aluminum and steel solos weigh the same, that cant be right can it? Now you have me looking at solos hehe

All the Solos have an aluminum frame. The "stainless" model is just a silver colored aluminum frame.

Nakanokalronin
01-21-2012, 12:17
Yeah some people refuse to carry polymer period, and for those people there is a kimber solo. hehe

My brother ownes a kimber and I really like their guns. They just seem expensive unless I'm looking at 1911's, 600 is an awsome price I would have seriously considered that over a pm9 (about the same in price)

Oh I've owned and still own quite a few polymer guns, but the advantage was mainly weight savings and now it just seems to be a way for the companies to save money on the manufacturing process. This is also the reason why metal framed guns will cost more since more machine work and finishing needs to be done not including the cost of the material itself.

Kahala
01-21-2012, 12:18
All the Solos have an aluminum frame. The "stainless" model is just a silver colored aluminum frame.

Ah, that is why, thank you for the clarification. It seems they save more on the manufacturing cost than the weight these days. Hopefully to lower the cost of the gun and not just stack more profits.

Caladan
01-21-2012, 13:39

Yes, the Solo is smaller in two dimensions.* My point was not to dispute the actual numbers to within hundreths of an inch, but to point out that in practical useage, there is no practical difference in the ease of concealment.

I am glad to hear that your Solo has been perfect. The one that I have used is currently at the dealer, who is taking care of sending it back because of numerous issues. From reading a great many owner's reports, it seems like the Solo has had it's share of issues. I will probably acquire one at some point, but I will wait until the positive comments I read outnumber the negative ones, or at least until I see one that works as well as my Nano.

*using the numbers published by the manufacturers, who btw should be the ones who know the correct information, the Solo is 0.3" thicker than the Nano. I merely rounded down when making my original comparison about how close in size they really are.

RedDirt
01-21-2012, 15:58
As someone who has owned both a nano and a PM9 I can say that they are both excellent pistols however I prefer the Kahr which is my carry 9mm. Unfortunately I sold the nano to purchase the Kahr so I never had a side by side.

cowboy1964
07-01-2012, 18:46
The PM9 is a great gun, provided it works fine (and mine has).

I haven't found anything better yet for true pocket carry.

agb
07-28-2012, 07:36
I've had all three for a time and find the comments amusing. My PM9 seized up several times and had other FTF issues and re-assebly problems. I finally sold it after having sent it back to the factory twice. On the last return it (probably) worked so it was the best time to sell it. The design is what, 12 years old? Long in the tooth, the NYC PD took it off its list of supported backups. I don't need more headaches in life.

The SOLO was owned by the shop, I took it to their range and had several FTF issues. A beautifully machined upper and it looks and feels the smallest of them all, but the shape and profile are an illusion. The thinner upper section (in relation to the NANO) certainly is a significant component to foster that illusion. My personal biases are against aluminum and actually feel that polymers, in applications used today, are the superior material, providing better shooting and ergonomics. All polymers are not the same and people should not compare one make to another unless you actually know the details of the polymer's composition. HK was the inventor of the polymer frame and uses a much higher grade than most of the others. Most military arms today use polymers and if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for moi. And I couldn't care less if polymers are "cheaper" to manufacture. All I care about is, is it "better?"

The SOLO is out of here because of FTF issues and the necessity for having to replace the recoil spring every 500-1000 rounds. A fatal engineering flaw and unacceptable.

I had two NANOs to play with, and purchased the second early July 2012. They had both worked flawlessly. I had tried to make them fail, removed all lubrication, firing sideways and upside down (with the firearm horizontally held @ 9am and 3 pm.) The only two pistols that passed all my tests so far were the HK P2000 and USP and the Beretta Nano. Beretta hit a home run this time 'round and it's not their first time to do so.

No, the NANO is not a baby Glock - appearances are superficial. It is a far more advanced design two decades of evolution ahead of Glock; with many advanced features and no unnecessary ones. It is built of better materials, far more robust mechanics, and the pistol Gaston should have built but didn't because he couldn't. And we have here the proof that a 500 year old firm has far more experience under its belt than two that are more or less 30 years old - speaking of Kimber and Glock here. And no offense meant by pointing these facts out to either manufacturer.:wavey:

Lastly, and no one's considering this observation, a firm with a solid background manufacturing automatic weapons for militaries around the globe - HK and Beretta for example - have a significant advantage over those that manufacture ONLY handguns. To begin and end with, auto and semiauto firearms have timing issues to be overcome. The two manufacturers listed have overcome the problems for their well-known select fire arms, so overcoming them for their semis is a cakewalk.

agb
07-28-2012, 11:15
It might be useful to examine the quality of the aforementioned SOLO, PM-9 and NANO. The fact is, they are all high quality weapons manufactured more or less of good materials. Aluminum is aluminum, 6 and 7T series, the 7T supposedly is better, sometimes harder. Polymers come in a great variety of compositions, some with x-glass or fiber count, x = anything. There are superpolymers; technopolymers, names used for various purposes. And there are common polymers used in cheap pistols issued to LEO around the country.

Steels come in various compositions too, some are more rust resistant than others, the stainless variety possibly the most resistant. One cannot blue SS, but one can apply a number of none-nitride finishes that are more like bonded paint. Some of these paints contain ceramic to increase wearability.

Nitride finishes penetrate the metal (so does bluing), to make the surfaces hard, sometimes RC64, which is very hard indeed. Underneath the steel is usually tool steel of varying quality and hardened to varying degrees, depending on what the manufacturer wants and is willing to spend the money for.

The cost of a weapon has little to do with its quality, but sometimes it does. In the case of the NANO, Beretta has chosen to enter its market sector aggressively and to provide the highest caliber of materials and finish at a reasonable price. Other manufacturers chose to play at a lower volume but higher price for providing equivalent or even lesser quality to the customer.

It is a mistake to think that a high price equates to high quality. As shown above, sometimes the very opposite is the truth. You can pay 60% more for weapons that are neither as durable or as reliable, as the lower cost weapon.

When the competition can fire 1000 rounds in a de-greased and lubrication-free weapon, as the NANO can do and will do, then they can make all the claims they want to make. So far the competition cannot.

jhmayhem
07-28-2012, 13:45
I am glad I checked this thread out, I have been sold on Kahrs as the superior pocket 9 for a while, but the Beretta Nano has now definitely peaked my interest.

tedwhite
08-26-2012, 14:40
My Nano runs without a hiccup and the bore height is simply not a problem (at least not a problem for me). I'm quite satisfied with it. Didn't require the so-called break-in period.

happyguy
09-12-2012, 16:37
I also put 7 rounds into a Nano magazine by accident. It is a very tight squeeze but it worked on both the magazines I have and it gave me no problems. I wonder if I could shave 1mm off the bottom of the follower to fit 7 nicely(may be my next project, along with making a Kahr mag fit flush).

I brought a new Nano home today and immediately did the same thing. Funny thing is, it wasn't even hard to do. If they marketed it as a 7 rd mag, no one would be the wiser.

I am curious to see how it will run as a 7+1 gun.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Jay S.
09-23-2012, 16:26
I brought a new Nano home today and immediately did the same thing. Funny thing is, it wasn't even hard to do. If they marketed it as a 7 rd mag, no one would be the wiser.

I am curious to see how it will run as a 7+1 gun.

Regards,

Any update? Very interested in a Nano and curious to see how it runs with 7 in the mag. Thanks!

happyguy
09-23-2012, 17:57
Any update? Very interested in a Nano and curious to see how it runs with 7 in the mag. Thanks!

I have yet to shoot the gun but I did notice one thing. It is impossible to seat a mag loaded with 7 rounds in the gun with the slide closed. Maybe if I cut a small amount of material off of the bottom of the followers it would work, but I am not prepared to do that with a gun I haven't yet shot.

:cheers:

Regards,

tedwhite
09-23-2012, 19:50
Wont' do it unless the slide is locked back. As an update on my Nano, I now have several hundred rounds through it and have come to the conclusion that it's the best small pistol I have ever owned. 100% reliability, tighter groups than my Kimber Ultra Carry II or that Kahr CM9 (that I recently sold because I didn't like the feel of it nor the trigger), or my G26. Beretta hit a home run on this little guy. It's now my EDC, fits in a Masters pancake that's actually made for a G26-27. I've been trying to get hold of Masters to ask them to make one specifically for a Nano but so far no luck. You google Masters holsters and you just get distributors. Anyone know how to contact them directly, let me know.

fowler
09-24-2012, 04:37
The Berretta Nano is about as small as you can make a 9mm that can still hold up to a lot of shooting and hotter self defence ammo. Any smaller or lighter it would be limited duty and hard to control,plus shoot apart like the Kahr or Solo will with there short service life and lower tier parts and Q. The Nano is really made well and they did there home work bringing us a real working accurate shooting small single stack 9mm. Its the best of its breed in single stack 9mm's. The G26 a little bigger and more shot's on board is my smallest carry. But my wife carry's the Nano and loves it. Over 500rds of 100%reliability and Real 25 yard accuracy. This baby can shoot and my wife named her's Berty. Great gun for women that want a full power 9mm that shoots good with moderate kick that is controllable &accurate. Berretta has a winner here for anybody needing a small single stack 9mm.

Cokeman
09-24-2012, 22:06
The Berretta Nano is about as small as you can make a 9mm that can still hold up to a lot of shooting and hotter self defence ammo. Any smaller or lighter it would be limited duty and hard to control,plus shoot apart like the Kahr or Solo will with there short service life and lower tier parts and Q. The Nano is really made well and they did there home work bringing us a real working accurate shooting small single stack 9mm. Its the best of its breed in single stack 9mm's. The G26 a little bigger and more shot's on board is my smallest carry. But my wife carry's the Nano and loves it. Over 500rds of 100%reliability and Real 25 yard accuracy. This baby can shoot and my wife named her's Berty. Great gun for women that want a full power 9mm that shoots good with moderate kick that is controllable &accurate. Berretta has a winner here for anybody needing a small single stack 9mm.

Explain please.