Diamondback DB9? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Diamondback DB9?

M1A Shooter
01-20-2012, 01:22
recently i picked up a Ruger LCP but was also looking at the DB9 at the same time. i got a 2 to 1 vote on LCP vs DB9 from the 3 people i know who have handled both and ive never personally dealt with anything from diamondback.

that said, i am now almost regretting not giving it a chance. has anyone here had any experiences, good or bad, with the DB9 or any diamondback pistol?

seems to me to be a close resemblance to the single stack 9mm "glock" as ive seen. its also the LCP size gun that is ramped up to 9mm.

MinnesnowtaWild
01-20-2012, 01:47
Yeah I have never fired one but they sure seem like an interesting gun. It just seems like the reliability is questionable.

What about the LC9?

Jack Black
01-20-2012, 02:10
I've never shot one, but after many years of reading gun forums the DB9 is the worst reviewed gun I've ever seen.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
01-20-2012, 06:23
Yes, lemon seems to describe it from all the negative posts I see posted on all the forums...

Bruce M
01-20-2012, 08:43
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349984&highlight=db9

There are some comments in this thread from some people who own one.

M2 Carbine
01-20-2012, 08:52
I don't own a DB9 but I did buy the .380.

I'd never buy anythng made by DB.

USDefender
01-20-2012, 14:39
I've already commented in a thread of this type. But, if it keeps someone from buying a POS, and thus has the potential of saving lives, I don't mind saying it again...

I wouldn't lay a red cent down on any firearm made by 'Diamondback.' It's a crap design with crap performance.

m2hmghb
01-20-2012, 15:23
I think they named their company diamondback because the gun will get you killed if you get to close to it. I've seen reports of jennings and bryco made guns that are more reliable.

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N
01-20-2012, 15:47
Get yourself an LC9, I wouldn't own any Diamondback product

maxpower220
01-20-2012, 18:57
I have a DB9, it replaced my Solo. Upon the first attempt to load the gun, the slide locked. I got it free with a little work, then attempted to load a different brand of ammo. It locked again. I called DBF and they sent me a UPS label. Ten days after sending it, the DB9 was back with a note detailing the "repair". Replaced the barrel due to improper size. I now have about 600 rounds through it with only a few FTFeed. No real issues in the last 500 rounds.
So, it is a very good gun to me. I can't explain or excuse how that gun left the DBF factory the first time. However, their customer service was excellent. It is nice having the smallest 9mm gun to carry. It has a pretty good trigger (not Solo nice, but better than any other pocket pistol that I have shot), the sights are very useable, and the gun hides anywhere for the FL heat.

The weird thing about my DB9 is that is seems to shoot better (accuracy) with WWB, Federal, Silver Bear, cheap **** ammo than with "good" Gold Dot and the like. Warning: DBF doesn't recommend the use of +P ammo, it will void the warranty. There is one internet document case of a DB9 blowing up with +P ammo.

Much like the first few posts on this thread, there is a lot of bashing of DBF from people who have never held one. I know there are people with problem guns, so I don't discount every bad review.

Wetrudgeon
01-21-2012, 05:35
We own one and have made some observations on it in other posts. From our perspective the little beast is very accurate and easy to hide. Ours has been reliable since the first 100 or so rounds (cheap hardball ammo only, no JHP's so far) if we take extreme care to hold the thing properly. However, our DB9 is so violent in recoil that after as few as 20-30 rounds fatigue and discomfort in the hands make it difficult to avoid "limp wristing" malfunctions. We have not shot any other "micro" 9mm, but we cannot help but wonder whether all such tiny, light weight handguns will have the recoil issue. There are certain laws of physics that simply have no exceptions.

We cannot recommend the DB9 for any who are the least bit recoil sensitive.

Our $.02.

We trudge on.

CDR_Glock
01-21-2012, 10:54
I have a Diamondback DB9. I liked the style, compact size. Shooting it is actually fun.i shoot one handed, since that is how I would have used it. Recoil is easily manageable and follow up shots are not hard. Handling recoil is one thing, being able to fire multiple shots easily is another. With this platform, it's possible to do so. It IS one of the most accurate micro guns I have ever shot, second only to a P238, which is in single action making shooting exceptionally easy for me. For a DAO, this is one fine shooter. There is a lot more recoil than a Glock 30. After shooting this, it makes a Glock 23/27/30 feel like a 22 caliber.

It comes with only one magazine. The magazine doesn't lock back by design. It is tiring to load 200 rounds but it is far from miserable. I use size 8 surgical gloves and I have long thin fingers. Full sized guns are no issue for me. This grip seems to fit fine for me.

The construct is good. Nice grippy feel. The slide is solid and serrations make it manageable for a person of any size to shoot.

Sights are actually very good for a gun of this size. I can easily hit at combat range of 0-15 yards. Anything further does make it challenging for me. I intended to use this for backup and deep concealment where carrying a gun for the most discreet settings was essential (Formal events, etc).

With that said, I had the following:

First 200 rounds, each magazine had FTF/FTE/Double feeds. I took it to my gunsmith. He saw the lip of the magazine was not keeping the rounds level enough to feed. I tried it and it shot 97 of 100 rounds flawlessly. Then the feed ramp, I noticed was cracking. It didn't affect function so I didn't mind it.

I bought a couple more magazines. Same issues. My gunsmith fixed the magazines,

The walking pins was a PITA. I had to check them every few magazines. They provided some knurled pins in November. Fixed the issue. Why wouldn't they figure it out before they marketed it?

Shot another box and a half and then the trigger didn't reset. I thought it was a spring issue but the I couldn't even field strip it. To it to my gunsmith and he checked it out. Turns out there was a crack internally. He sent it off to diamondback. I'm still waiting on it.

Inherently, the action of the gun is fine. The magazines are poorly designed. If you don't check how the magazine is feeding, that may be the main culprit, not limp writing. It is a poorly tested gun and poor workmanship. Chipped feed ramps, cracked internals, poorly designed magazines, walking pins, finicky with ammo.

Anyways, some people claim to have Zero problems. It sounds like that goes for higher serial numbers. Mine was in the 4xxx number. I think they're into the 8 or 9xxx numbers. Customer service, I hear, is great. Although intrinsically, there are manufacturing issues to deal with and you may find yourself dealing with additive problems over time.

Kahr has a lawsuit pending against them regarding certain patent claims. Don't know how that will turn out. Kahr is a well made gun and I should have bought a PM9. Oh well. It was worth trying it out.

It's been in a shop more than its been at home. I'm not pleased one bit. Would I buy it again? Sure. My gunsmith is only 8" away from home for me. It's not hard to go over there for a quick fix. It IS the most compact 9mm available and it IS extremely comfortable and easy to conceal for a BACK UP - assuming it works. Maybe when I get it back it will run flawlessly. If not, it's HISTORY.

I am trying to decide what to do when I get it back. I really want to like it.

iPad/Tapatalk

KyWinFan
06-22-2012, 22:32
I own a DB9 as well as other compacts including a Glock 27, and a Kahr CW40.

It doesn't have much competition, it's one of a kind so far IMO. The DB9 and Rorhberg are the two that are apples to apples on size and caliber. The DB is 1/3 the price.

Buy a DB9 if you like tinkering a lot. And you may need some training to fire it correctly (the DB9 may humble you) Granted, many pistols leave the factory running perfectly in the right hands. But many jam a lot. there are adjustments to fix jams...tinkering...and expect at least one shipment back to the factory. If you can work through all that, you'll have something no one else has in terms of concealablity with power.

It's actually better machined than my CW40 and very well put together. Highly accurate groupings. But the spring tolerances are SO tight that imperceptible variances can cause a sporadic failure to feed.

Variances in ammo loads will affect feeding dramatically. Remmington and Hornady run perfectly. Federal doesn't feed at all, and WWB doesn't power the slide all the way back. And your hold variance will add more jams into the total.

Admittedly mine had many more issues than most everyone on the DBTalk board/forum. And even I worked every issue out....eventually. So it can be made to work even if you get a really bad one. You may get a good one.

Reliability:
G27: 3 jams per 1200 rounds (weakened mag spring)
CW40: 3 jams per 50 rounds initially, it's new
DB9: 3 jams per 14 rounds initially, now after tinkering a LOT, now only about one jam per 200

The DB9 is now good enough for my EDC in pants pocket civilian.
G27 is for OWB entering known high threat situations, plus outdoors wilderness

CW40 is well...being tinkered with (no carry)

Remember the only people posting the stuff on the DB forum are people who like me, mistakenly thought it's DB's forum and want their gun serviced. It is not DB's board. You are only seeing all complaints so it accidentally has become only a public complaint board.

But if you dig on there you can find how to fix common issues on some of the guns. Which are feed issues (polish ramp and replaced mag spring with PF9 spring), recoil power handling issues (hogue Jr grip) uncommon ejection issues (factory fix), trigger bar can break (factory fix- modification to new design)

So in summary, if you are willing to take the gamble and don't mind the tinkering and investing the time to get it to run consistently, Go for the DB9. But if you've never owned anything but Glock reliability, you are in for a rude awakening. If you enjoy Kahr's break in trauma, well you know the drill ;)

So there you have the whole, real unabashed truth.

glockrex
06-22-2012, 23:12
I have had shooting experience with a few diamond backs. Biggest POS on the firearm market to date. Do a quick search on any diamond back thread here and you'll see what the major consensus is. You chose wisely with the ruger.

glockrex
06-22-2012, 23:16
Great, you can get it running with some major modifications which costs time, effort and money. Would you buy a factory new car that wouldn't drive without some engine modification?

glockrex
06-22-2012, 23:28
Better yet go to the forum dedicated to diamondback. Even the owners on that forum trash them as what they are, POS.

http://www.diamondbacktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1796&sid=207efee00fe93a763f434c5a46381633

glockrex
06-22-2012, 23:34
Check out these happy customers! Now many will claim many of the malfunctions can be related to operator error. But broken trigger bars, sites falling off, improperly machined parts... Yes, operator error in the sense that they actually paid money to buy a diamondback.

http://www.diamondbacktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=974

rdbjr57
06-23-2012, 10:35
I've had one for several months and have about 200 rounds through it. Contrary to what seems to be popular opinion, I like mine and carry it anytime I can't carry my G27...

KyWinFan
06-23-2012, 12:11
I've had one for several months and have about 200 rounds through it. Contrary to what seems to be popular opinion, I like mine and carry it anytime I can't carry my G27...

Agreed. You got a good one.

Mine had issues that the factory or I fixed. Anyone can read my and also ljutics fixes on the diamondbacktalk board referenced above.

My effort was worth the saved $830 instead of the Rohrberg. But since buying my DB9, Kahr came out with the competing $450 CM9, which is thicker. If I where buying today I would try the cm9.

BTW, I sometimes carry the G27 OWB with the DB9 as back up. Great combo IMO.