J frame in the pocket, back against the wall [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : J frame in the pocket, back against the wall

jack76590
01-20-2012, 01:26
Mas,

Seems like more and more of these unprovoked attacks are occurring, that often involve many of the young against a single person, often older. Link.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20120119_Young_thugs_savagely_beat_vet_in_Olney.html?cmpid=124488459

A lot of discussion on this subforum about when/how to display weapon, prepare for attack. This has made me come to appreciate the Jframe or similar handgun in the pocket. May not be SURPRISE fast draw, but sure can be quick, if you have your hand on the weapon.

So my thinking more and more in situation like this is have a Jframe in the pocket, be alert and yes profile a bit. When you feel threatened put your back against the wall and your hand on the Jframe.

I don't see how this could be considered brandishing, but always want to ask the expert. So do you think this approach has merit and do you see any problems or have suggestions for improvements?

Thanks as always for your insights. Jack

Mas Ayoob
01-20-2012, 07:49
Unless the user says or does something to make others realize he is holding a firearm, the hand on the J-frame in the pocket holster is not brandishing. It's simply a guy with his hand in his pocket.

Agreed: it's a very useful tactical option.

best,
Mas

jack76590
01-20-2012, 11:10
I remember a police officer saying on one of the forums, that his BUG was in some sense his primary, as he put his hand on it more times than his full size pistol. This might be equally true for civilians like myself, because in the rare event I had to use a firearm to defend myself, I might be more likely to use my BUG. At least if I was alert.