registering [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : registering

paramediclane
01-20-2012, 13:55
i have an issue that i need help with. my mother in law gave my wife a gun long time ago. it has been in our possession for over 4 years now. well my mother in law died this year and now my wifes sister is asking for the gun. we have told her that the gun was given to us. (she wanted it out of her house since grand kids came over) wife sister insists the gun is part of the estate and want it. how can i get the gun legally registered in my wifes name so there will be no question on ownership? wife has firearm license. thanks in advance

2@low8
01-20-2012, 13:58
You appear to live in Georgia. Georgia has NO registration of firearms

I suppose you could go to a local gun shop in Albany and ask them to do a transfer from you (the possessor of the firearm), to the wife, (the acquirer of the firearm). That would create a record of transfer at least. Might cost you $20 but it might give you the sense of ownership you need in dealing with family.

TN.Frank
01-20-2012, 14:09
Possession is 9/10's of the law. YOU Posses the gun, it's YOUR gun. I'd tell your sister-in-law that if she wants the gun you'll gladly sell it to her otherwise back off because it's your gun, not hers.

USDefender
01-20-2012, 14:21
Possession is 9/10's of the law. YOU Posses the gun, it's YOUR gun. I'd tell your sister-in-law that if she wants the gun you'll gladly sell it to her otherwise back off because it's your gun, not hers.

+10 million...

I was about to post this exact statement-- almost verbatim.

Sister wants the gun? She can compensate you (and your wife for it). Otherwise, if you want to keep it, she's out of luck. Mom gave it to you well before she passed...and both you and your wife are co-witnesses to this fact.

Next she'll be wanting all the monetary donations back that 'mom' made to her favorite charities over the years. :upeyes:

paramediclane
01-20-2012, 15:14
yes i do live in georgia, albany to be exact. thanks for all the replies. just trying to do things a humaine and legal as possible. with everything that has happened its amazing at how the vultures come out wanting their piece of the pie when they had nothing to do with the care of their mother for the last 3 years. wonder if i could sell the gun to a gun shop and then buy it back. that way it would have paperwork done too.

crash09
01-20-2012, 15:18
Paperwork of a transfer at this point won't do any good and may actually reinforce the sister's position. Do you have any proof, witnesses, repair bills, receipts for ammo or holsters, etc. to show when you actually took possession of the gun?

Adjuster
01-20-2012, 15:21
Does this gun have some kind of unusual value? Just curious as common firearms really don't have any value worth getting all worked up about. Why does the sister in law want it so bad?

/

GTFord1
01-20-2012, 15:22
yes i do live in georgia, albany to be exact. thanks for all the replies. just trying to do things a humaine and legal as possible. with everything that has happened its amazing at how the vultures come out wanting their piece of the pie when they had nothing to do with the care of their mother for the last 3 years. wonder if i could sell the gun to a gun shop and then buy it back. that way it would have paperwork done too.

There's absolutely no point to any of this. Get real. You legally have to do nothing with this.

fiasconva
01-20-2012, 15:29
I think my first question to her would be "What gun?":whistling:

Breadman03
01-20-2012, 15:30
You were gifted the gun years ago. Your property. It stinks that it is causing a headache.

Spiffums
01-20-2012, 15:55
i have an issue that i need help with. my mother in law gave my wife a gun long time ago. it has been in our possession for over 4 years now. well my mother in law died this year and now my wifes sister is asking for the gun. we have told her that the gun was given to us. (she wanted it out of her house since grand kids came over) wife sister insists the gun is part of the estate and want it. how can i get the gun legally registered in my wifes name so there will be no question on ownership? wife has firearm license. thanks in advance

In Bold.... It is no longer part of the estate since it was a gift that long ago.

TN.Frank
01-20-2012, 16:51
I think my first question to her would be "What gun?":whistling:

I think he's talking about the gun he lost when he was out on the lake fishing.:upeyes:

Gregg702
01-20-2012, 17:01
Out of curiosity, what kind of gun is it?

Glockdude1
01-20-2012, 17:10
Yes, what kind of gun?

:headscratch:

USDefender
01-20-2012, 17:21
There's absolutely no point to any of this. Get real. You legally have to do nothing with this.

+1

Ever think that maybe it's your sister-in-law's responsibility, in this case, to 'do things as humanely... as possible'? Unfortunately, a death in the family almost always brings these kinds of idiots out... as if you don't have enough to grieve over, already. :upeyes: I'm sorry for you. I've been there, myself.

Re: the firearm-- if it really means something to either you or your wife (i.e. sentimental value), just say 'to hell' with anyone who asks for it. They really do not have any legal claim to it so long as your mother-in-law gave it to you when you say she did; literally, years before she died.

If it doesn't mean anything to you (if I were in your shoes), I'd do one of two things: either (#1) sell the thing and get something you do want. That way, when it's gone, that ends the 'argument' of anyone ever expecting you to just 'give' it to them, ever again. Heck, just to end the argument, I'd probably even just tell them I 'sold the thing, long ago,' just so they'll stop asking. :chatter: Or, you could (#2) just give the gun to the sister, if bringing peace to the family is more valuable than the gun is. If you do consider going this way, though, and it causes either you or your wife to be resentful in the future, then once again I refer you to option #1.

I think he's talking about the gun he lost when he was out on the lake fishing.:upeyes:

Yep. This is what I'm talk'in about... *LOL*

paramediclane
01-23-2012, 18:12
there are 3 guns total, a chrome plated colt python with 6 inch barrell. a chrome .38 special with real pearl grips. and a nickle plated sawed off side by side shot gun. all belonged to father in law (never met him. died in 1972) left in possession of mother in law. when we started living with her to take care of her due to health problems she wanted them gone so grand kids wouldnt find them.

Adjuster
01-23-2012, 19:06
there are 3 guns total, a chrome plated colt python with 6 inch barrell. a chrome .38 special with real pearl grips. and a nickle plated sawed off side by side shot gun. all belonged to father in law (never met him. died in 1972) left in possession of mother in law. when we started living with her to take care of her due to health problems she wanted them gone so grand kids wouldnt find them.

Holy crap I need to see pics of all three but most importantly the shotgun!

/

Z71bill
01-23-2012, 19:41
At the risk of stating the obvious - this is not about guns it is about money.

Is your wife's sister really the executor of the mother's estate?

Or

Just wanting to get the guns and sell them so she gets more $?

Did the mother have a will?

Syclone538
01-23-2012, 20:48

I'm sure you know this, but a shotgun has to have an 18" barrel, and be 26" (or 28"?) total length.

jp3975
01-23-2012, 21:05
Why does your wife's sister think she is more entitled to something than your wife?

Like others have said...it was a gift 4 years ago. Do nothing.

I would be pissed and tell her that she is a selfish POS for asking for something that was given to you 4 years prior to her death.

And Im pretty reserved.

noway
01-24-2012, 06:35
bingo on the above

BUT if the gun was given to your wife years as ago, as a gift & B4 her ( your mother-in-law ) death, the sister can pound sand.

Also the sister will have a hard time proving anything, unless it was in the will. Sounds like sister is one of these; "will Judy has a bigger cut of the cake ....( cry cry cry )"

I would tell your wife to to tell her sister to STFU and move on.

just my 2cts.

If it comes down to it, you all can go to Judge Judy:rofl:

boozer
01-24-2012, 06:40
Give your sister the shotgun. Now.

Unistat
01-24-2012, 07:51
give your sister the shotgun. Now.

rofl!

paramediclane
01-24-2012, 19:33
Holy crap I need to see pics of all three but most importantly the shotgun!

/

shoot me an email address and i will send some pictures. i dont know how to post pics to the site

paramediclane
01-24-2012, 19:34
mitchellemstraining@yahoo.com

vafish
01-24-2012, 19:35
You appear to live in Georgia. Georgia has NO registration of firearms

I suppose you could go to a local gun shop in Albany and ask them to do a transfer from you (the possessor of the firearm), to the wife, (the acquirer of the firearm). That would create a record of transfer at least. Might cost you $20 but it might give you the sense of ownership you need in dealing with family.

That would cause more problems and show a transfer after the death.

Beast to just leave it the way it is now. It was given to the OP years ago.