Mosin-Nagant? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mosin-Nagant?

HollowHead
01-20-2012, 17:47
What's the poop on these? LGS has them for $99 w/bayonette and cleaning kit. I know of their role in history but know little else about them. Worth picking one up for plinker/safe queen? Thanks. HH

WoodenPlank
01-20-2012, 17:49
Grab one, some cheap ammo, and a 2x4 from the local lumber store.

01-20-2012, 17:49
Yes!!

USDefender
01-20-2012, 18:01
Great rifle, in general--once you clean the cosmolene off of everything (including INSIDE the chamber and the bolt).

Here are some resources that will help-- I know it's a lot of info., but it's well worth researching...

> 7.62x54r.net--Forums (http://7.62x54r.net/Forums/) (The guy who runs the forum is somewhat snooty, imo, but you can get a lot of great info there.)

> 7.62x54r Overview (http://7.62x54r.net/) (This site will probably answer most questions you might have...)

> Just a shortcut (http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM9130S.htm) to the M91/30 info at 7.62x54r.

> 7.62x54r Bullet-types (http://www.mosinnagant.net/t3p.asp) info.

> Mosinnagant.net/ (http://www.mosinnagant.net/) -- Yet another forum with good info, although I find 7.62x54r a little more useful... Probably just my personal preference. ;)

> Finally, here's what globalsecurity.org (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/mosin-nagant.htm) has to say one the Mosin-Nagant.

Good Luck. Hope you love yours like I love mine. :cool:

Angry Fist
01-20-2012, 18:04
http://operatorchan.org/k/arch/src/k216700_Mosin-Nagant-Arm-5-people.jpg

USDefender
01-20-2012, 18:06
Oh, yeah. Forgot to mention what I consider THE most important source of info (again, just mho) available...

Disassembling the Mosin-Nagant Bolt Iraqveteran8888's 'how to' videos on sporterizing the Mosin. I realize you may or may not intend to 'sporterize' your gun. (I just wouldn't have the heart to do this, myself). That said, though, Iraqvet's videos are excellent for learning to take down your weapon, clean it, repair it, etc... I've only posted one, but he has many on 'You Tube' that are worth looking at.

Good Luck. ~USD

isp2605
01-20-2012, 18:23
Check the ammo before you buy it. If you do get corrosive ammo make sure you follow proper cleaning proceedures afterwards. Some of the corrosive stuff shoots very well but the gun does need a good cleaning afterwards.

jellis11
01-20-2012, 18:26
Great guns. Super fun, cheap. You spend more than that on gas and food in a week!

USDefender
01-20-2012, 18:34
Check the ammo before you buy it. If you do get corrosive ammo make sure you follow proper cleaning proceedures afterwards. Some of the corrosive stuff shoots very well but the gun does need a good cleaning afterwards.

Also, another point on the 'ammo' I would advise is to stay away from surplus ammo that's coated with lacquer. The lacquer WILL effect your gun's action, sooner, probably, rather than later.

Btw, shooting corrosive ammo isn't as scary as it sounds. Just don't leave your gun laying around for days after shooting. Clean it at least the day after you've gone to the range and you should be ok. Better yet, if you stick to modern civilian stuff only (i.e. Silver Bear, Wolf, etc.) you'll avoid both the 'corrosive' and 'lacquer' issues altogether.

tenifer17
01-20-2012, 18:36
Cleaning it after shooting corrosive ammo involves using windex WITH AMMONIA , the ammonia is suppose to neutralize the corrosiveness. Then after that use soap and water and then do the normal gun cleaning . I never had a problem. I love the gun.

WoodenPlank
01-20-2012, 18:37
Also, another point on the 'ammo' I would advise is to stay away from surplus ammo that's coated with lacquer. The lacquer WILL effect your gun's action, sooner, probably, rather than later.

Hence why I said to get the 2x4 from the lumber store... :whistling:

motorjon68
01-20-2012, 18:41
buy it, shoot it, love it!

USDefender
01-20-2012, 18:53
Hence why I said to get the 2x4 from the lumber store... :whistling:

Ah... I get it now. Well, that is one way to go. :cool:

01-20-2012, 18:55
Corrosive ammo is not a big deal. Just clean the weapon as soon as possible. There's no need to buy special products. Warm/hot water is all one needs to clean corrosive ammo. If one wants to be anal about it, use household ammonia diluted with water to 5/1 ratio. Run a wet patch or two down the bore, wipe the bolt face, then clean as usual. That's it.

I've been shooting corrosive ammo for years and never had a problem.

MinnesnowtaWild
01-20-2012, 19:05
The Mosin-Nagant is a great rifle. When you buy one though make sure the bolt is smooth. Some of them will have a VERY sticky bolt.

And if you're very recoil sensitive, you will not enjoy shooting it.

WoodenPlank
01-20-2012, 19:08
The Mosin-Nagant is a great rifle. When you buy one though make sure the bolt is smooth. Some of them will have a VERY sticky bolt.

And if you're very recoil sensitive, you will not enjoy shooting it.

I've heard this time and again, and watched people on the range ***** about the recoil...yet it doesn't bother me in the least. :dunno:

firefighter4215
01-20-2012, 19:11
What kind of accuracy/range is possible with these guns? Can a person expect to shoot small groups at 100 or 200 yards? What if you reload? Does anyone reload for this gun?

rhino673
01-20-2012, 19:18
Worth every penny! Buy one and a bunch of ammo and you'll love it!
Don't freak out about corrosive ammo . Just soapy water will dissolve the salts and run a few patches afterwards till dry then one lightly oiled patch . No biggie.

01-20-2012, 19:21
What kind of accuracy/range is possible with these guns? Can a person expect to shoot small groups at 100 or 200 yards? What if you reload? Does anyone reload for this gun?

The most accurate of my mosin collection are my Finn M28/30 and M39s.
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt354/MattP427/000_1911.jpg

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt354/MattP427/000_1912.jpg

WoodenPlank
01-20-2012, 19:22

To steal a line from one of my favorite gun-related emails....

An AK can hit the broad side of a barn.... from inside the barn.
An AR can hit the broad side of a barn from 600 meters.
A Nagant can hit the farm from two counties over.

Jeremy_K
01-20-2012, 19:24
The Bulgarian surplus ammo shoots the best out of mine. I haven't shot it in a couple years but the groups were never spectacular. Mine's an M44. I'm sure I could shoot decent groups if I put some effort into it but it's mostly a plinking gun for me.

WH5V
01-20-2012, 19:58
Range... I can't answer for. But I know that my Mosin is a blast to fire and is at least as accurate as my gov't issued M4.

Glock21Owner
01-20-2012, 20:15
Were there any variants/examples that had chrome lined barrels?

RHVEtte
01-20-2012, 20:22
The Bulgarian surplus ammo shoots the best out of mine. I haven't shot it in a couple years but the groups were never spectacular. Mine's an M44. I'm sure I could shoot decent groups if I put some effort into it but it's mostly a plinking gun for me.

Mine really liked Czech ammo before I got rid of it. The surplus stuff isn't as cheap as it used to be, but it's still some of the cheapest rifle ammo around. Pick up a spam can of ammo, see how it shoots, then grab a box or two of every other ammo and see what works best.

BTW, on that note, if you want to avoid lacquered ammo, pretty much every surplus round and Brown Bear new production are out. Also, I don't know of anyone who reloads for the Mosins. You'd need reloadable brass first and I've never seen that for this gun. I'm sure it exists, but for what surplus ammo costs, it's just not worth it.

craig19
01-20-2012, 20:26
Get one! I've had one for about 5 yrs. Ammo is cheap and they are fun to shoot. For $100, how could you go wrong?

01-20-2012, 20:28
Were there any variants/examples that had chrome lined barrels?
None that I know of.

BORNGEARHEAD
01-20-2012, 20:42
Cabelas just put them on sale for $99, also.

HollowHead
01-22-2012, 10:29
Picked it up yesterday, and according to the aforementioned sites, it's a Tula from 1939. Now, to get all the cosmoline off... HH

Batesmotel
01-22-2012, 11:17
How do you tell if it is one of the Finnish made rifles?

MadMonkey
01-22-2012, 11:25
What's this about lacquered cases? Never had an issue with it in my Mosins, AR's, or AK's.

KML
01-22-2012, 11:33
What's this about lacquered cases? Never had an issue with it in my Mosins, AR's, or AK's.

I have never heard of it with a Mosin either.
I have heard of some having trouble with it in Ar-15s,if they don't clean the chamber..The heat can cause the lacquer to. Melt and stick to the chamber walls.

MadMonkey
01-22-2012, 12:21
]I have heard of some having trouble with it in Ar-15s,if they don't clean the chamber..The heat can cause the lacquer to. Melt and stick to the chamber walls.

Yeah, that's a common misconception. It's actually carbon fouling getting between the case and the chamber wall since the steel case ammo doesn't expand as well as brass (I believe).

Jeremy_K
01-22-2012, 14:44
Depending what type of ammo I use it can be near impossible to open the bolt after firing. What I do is take a 20 gauge shotgun cleaning brush and rod and put it in my drill chuck. I ream the breech out with this setup and it gets most of the junk out. The Czech ammo makes it stick the worst in mine. The Bulgarian and the Brown Bear shoot fine out of it.

01-22-2012, 17:57
How do you tell if it is one of the Finnish made rifles?

The Finns never "made" Mosins, they reused receivers and other parts and greatly improved on the basic design.

The easiest was to tell if a weapon has been owned by the Finns is to look for a property mark that looks like - [SA] and is usually on the barrel shank.

WoodenPlank
01-22-2012, 18:19
Yeah, that's a common misconception. It's actually carbon fouling getting between the case and the chamber wall since the steel case ammo doesn't expand as well as brass (I believe).

Correct. I believe the case mouth sealant in some of the older Wolf ammo contributed to the issue, as well, but the majority of the problems are indeed carbon related.

Batesmotel
01-22-2012, 18:46
The Finns never "made" Mosins, they reused receivers and other parts and greatly improved on the basic design.

The easiest was to tell if a weapon has been owned by the Finns is to look for a property mark that looks like - [SA] and is usually on the barrel shank.

thanks

PhantomF4E
01-22-2012, 19:26
I bought mine on a whim at a show. The guy gave me pick of the case . I got one that was quite nice. Be prepared to put some elbow grease in to it to get it range quality . But they clean up nice. I get pretty consistent 4" groups at 100 yards with the stock sights you have to aim about 6" low with most of them ! I shoot the surplus Bulgarian and just clean it after a shoot. Please note , while the stuff with ammonia works, it's kind of old school . Hoppes #9 is designed to neutralize the corrosive component of the ammo and works just fine. Mine has a “amazing” bore compared to some of them , the bolt was actually new . You can find them out there, and they are absolutely worth having. They aren’t relics, they are shooters, bona fide battle rifles . Cheap , and old, but not primitive , they aren’t Mausers, but heck they are still using them over there in the sandbox to fight with , so that should tell ya something …. There are few guns that can brag the longevity of the cheapo commie gun.

humanguerrilla
01-22-2012, 21:13
Majority of surplus lacquered? The only lacquered ammo I've ever used is the old nasty green 7.62x39. All the surplus 7.62x54r I'm seeing anymore is the 70-80s bimetal case light ball and silver tip from spam cans. They used a clear lacquer?

01-22-2012, 22:44
Majority of surplus lacquered? The only lacquered ammo I've ever used is the old nasty green 7.62x39. All the surplus 7.62x54r I'm seeing anymore is the 70-80s bimetal case light ball and silver tip from spam cans. They used a clear lacquer?

If the ammo is steel cased, it's probably lacquered.

humanguerrilla
01-23-2012, 03:20
If the ammo is steel cased, it's probably lacquered.

I still don't think so unless it is a clear lacquer. Most all the surplus I'm seeing on the internet anymore and here locally is the copper-washed steel. Really not thinking it is lacquered.

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=18|830|853

besides the brown bear and prvi
http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=40&name=7.62x54R

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/880-rds-762x54r-fmj-149-gr-ammo.aspx?a=235122

wjv
01-23-2012, 11:43
To steal a line from one of my favorite gun-related emails....

An AK can hit the broad side of a barn.... from inside the barn.
An AR can hit the broad side of a barn from 600 meters.
A Nagant can hit the farm from two counties over.

Here is the whole "review"

Comparison of an AK47, an AR15 and a Mosin
http://www.mouseguns.com/compare.htm

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet/M44g.jpg

3glkdog
01-23-2012, 11:56
Grab one, some cheap ammo, and a 2x4 from the local lumber store.

Also pick up Enemy At The Gates. I think you'll like this movie.

Fwdftw
01-23-2012, 12:57
so is the spam can of 440 rds corrosive?

wjv
01-23-2012, 13:33
so is the spam can of 440 rds corrosive?

Does it matter.

You sit on your roof and take out 440 zombies, then use the bayonet to handle the rest of them in one-to-one combat. Eventually they will overwhelm you and eat you. .

To answer your question. . Usually yes. . .

Tim151515
01-23-2012, 13:39
wow. this is making me want one! for 200 bucks, I could get a very good surplus centerfire rifle and a case of almost 500 rounds...I think I might have to his the LGS some time soon.

Fwdftw
01-23-2012, 14:09
Does it matter.

You sit on your roof and take out 440 zombies, then use the bayonet to handle the rest of them in one-to-one combat. Eventually they will overwhelm you and eat you. .

To answer your question. . Usually yes. . .

just wondering.. this stuff usually gives me no issues when cleaning:yawn:

01-23-2012, 14:15
I still don't think so unless it is a clear lacquer. Most all the surplus I'm seeing on the internet anymore and here locally is the copper-washed steel. Really not thinking it is lacquered.

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=18|830|853

besides the brown bear and prvi
http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=40&name=7.62x54R

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/880-rds-762x54r-fmj-149-gr-ammo.aspx?a=235122

I forgot about the copper washed steel cased stuff. :wavey:

Veedubklown
01-23-2012, 14:16
wow. this is making me want one! for 200 bucks, I could get a very good surplus centerfire rifle and a case of almost 500 rounds...I think I might have to his the LGS some time soon.

Be sure to show us how your shoulder looks, the day after you've had enough mosin for 1 day. I'm not sayin it's not fun, or something I don't do often, but it'll mark ya. I enjoy the crap out of mine.

Sierra9
01-23-2012, 14:31
Mine really liked Czech ammo before I got rid of it. The surplus stuff isn't as cheap as it used to be, but it's still some of the cheapest rifle ammo around. Pick up a spam can of ammo, see how it shoots, then grab a box or two of every other ammo and see what works best.

BTW, on that note, if you want to avoid lacquered ammo, pretty much every surplus round and Brown Bear new production are out. Also, I don't know of anyone who reloads for the Mosins. You'd need reloadable brass first and I've never seen that for this gun. I'm sure it exists, but for what surplus ammo costs, it's just not worth it.

I reload for the MN for two reasons: for fun and to avoid corrosive ammo.
Arguably, it's not worth reloading from a money point of view because you can get a 440 round can of surplus ammo for $90. However, reloading data is available. You will have to buy some boxer primed ammo to build up a supply of cases. MidwayUSA and others have a variety of brass boxer primed ammo (Winchester, etc.). Don't try to use surplus ammo for reloading. It's Berdan primed and the cases are steel. If you are already a reloader and like to shoot the MN, go for it.

carloglock19
01-23-2012, 19:42
Cheap and fun to shoot. Buy one and see how much fun you can have for $100 bucks plus ammo and range fees (if aplicable).

adaman04
01-23-2012, 19:45
Buy one. Buy ammo. Shoot it a bunch. Giggle. Repeat.

It's a $99 rifle and they are a blast. In the midst of refinishing the stock on mine. Having a blast with it. I haven't had that much fun with $99 in a long time.

milje
01-30-2012, 10:13
Bought one on Saturday after work, cleaned it up saturday night, took it to the range on sunday. Froze my butt off but I was too excited, couldn't leave it sitting in my house until it warms up so I went out. Hits what I'm aiming at and didn't cost much, just what I was looking for.....

rhino673
01-30-2012, 11:05
Just for giggles I think I'll take mine hunting next year. I've taken various military surplus rifles( SMLE,98k, Swede Mauser, SKS, Ect) in the past and they have all performed very well.
I love the looks of surprise and incredulity from some of my hunting buddies when I pull out a 50-100 year old rifle from the truck.

big68
01-30-2012, 11:46
Carbine or full size? I can get the Finnish but not sure I want to spend more.

rhino673
01-30-2012, 13:08
Carbine or full size? I can get the Finnish but not sure I want to spend more.
The carbine is a little harder to find these days and brings more money then the rifle length
The Finnish is well worth the extra cash. In general they will out shoot their Russian. The wood is usually nicer and the barrels are heavier and better made. Some are Sako made barrels. Some are Tikka. Here is a webiste to help ID the various models.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinID.htm

CBennett
01-30-2012, 15:27
I've heard this time and again, and watched people on the range ***** about the recoil...yet it doesn't bother me in the least. :dunno:

As was said some people are more sensitive to recoil than others.....I can shoot anything from heavy to light or no recoil WELL...But i dont LIKE shooting say 30-06 out of a light weight bolt action for many rounds...for sighting in and then or hunting..sure...for FUN(which is why id be shooting the Mosin) not so much....thats IMO the comparative kick of the nagant to me about like a 30-06 ....for hunting fine for fun...in a LIMITED amount lol.