New DL-550 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New DL-550

Colorado4Wheel
01-20-2012, 20:14
http://www.gunblast.com/images/SHOT2012/Day2/DSC09914.JPG

I have no idea what it is. It's still manually indexing . It seems to be missing some fail safe for the powder measure under the shellplate carrier.

Edit: On closer look, it looks like it might be the BL-550 and the guy at Gun Blast mislabeled it. It's missing the primer setup as well.

http://www.gunblast.com/SHOT_2012_2.htm

1/2 way down the page.

shotgunred
01-20-2012, 21:03
The BL 550 is essentially an RL550B without the automatic priming and powder systems. Capable of loading more than 160 calibers- just like the RL550B- it uses any manufacturers' standard 7/8"-14 reloading dies. It's priced comparably with other manufacturers' turret presses; yet unlike them, it's fully upgradeable to Dillon's Progressive RL550B loader!TOTAL COST: $259.95

I must have missed it when lee turret presses went up to $259.95

fredj338
01-20-2012, 21:42
Looks like the BL version; stripped down, no priemr system or powder measure. Kind of an inverted turret press.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25792/catid/1/BL_550_Basic_Loader

unclebob
01-20-2012, 21:48
Looks like the BL version; stripped down, no priemr system or powder measure. Kind of an inverted turret press.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25792/catid/1/BL_550_Basic_Loader

The BL does not come with all of that. A funnel goes on top of the die in station 2. the hole in the die is a set screw to hold the powder funnel so that it can also flare the case mouth.

Colorado4Wheel
01-20-2012, 21:53
I think it's a BL.

fredj338
01-21-2012, 00:12
The BL does not come with all of that. A funnel goes on top of the die in station 2. the hole in the die is a set screw to hold the powder funnel so that it can also flare the case mouth.
All what Bob, that looks pretty stripped down from what I can see, but then I have only one good eye between the two.:pirates:

unclebob
01-21-2012, 08:15
All what Bob, that looks pretty stripped down from what I can see, but then I have only one good eye between the two.:pirates:

Everything you said it does not come with a primer feed or powder measure. It costs 260.00. When you get more money, then you can add the primer feed and primer warning, a powder measure and auto eject. If I remember right you can only load one round at a time until you upgrade .Itís a starter press than lets a person that really does not have the funds for a 550 but wants a 550 to get started and when gets more funds upgrade it to a RL550. BL basic loader.

WiskyT
01-21-2012, 09:37
I must have missed it when lee turret presses went up to $259.95

Yeah, and for $259.95 Lee will remove their priming punch and deny you a power measure. They will include a copy of "The Red Press" which has boney women in black dresses and expensive accessories with your order, however.

HexHead
01-21-2012, 09:54
Yeah, and for $259.95 Lee will remove their priming punch and deny you a power measure. They will include a copy of "The Red Press" which has boney women in black dresses and expensive accessories with your order, however.

Yeah, but can't upgrade the Lee to a great press by adding that stuff.

Just use the Lee Pro Auto Disc powder drop and hand primer with the BL550 to start off with.

WiskyT
01-21-2012, 10:59
Yeah, but can't upgrade the Lee to a great press by adding that stuff.

Just use the Lee Pro Auto Disc powder drop and hand primer with the BL550 to start off with.

So you need to remove the brass after de-priming to then prime it and replace it back in the press? Dillon should have put a standard primer punch somewhere on the ram.

I wonder what the upgrade costs? The Kempf's deal looks like a better press for less money.

unclebob
01-21-2012, 11:30
So you need to remove the brass after de-priming to then prime it and replace it back in the press? Dillon should have put a standard primer punch somewhere on the ram.

I wonder what the upgrade costs? The Kempf's deal looks like a better press for less money.

I believe there is a primer punch on the press. You just have to hand feed each primer.

WiskyT
01-21-2012, 14:13
I believe there is a primer punch on the press. You just have to hand feed each primer.

That would be my guess as well, but I don't see it or see any mention of it on the website. I'll check out the link to the review and see if they show anything about it.

unclebob
01-21-2012, 14:36
That would be my guess as well, but I don't see it or see any mention of it on the website. I'll check out the link to the review and see if they show anything about it.

Just pulled up the manual. It has a primer seat like on a regular 550 except it does not move back and forth. So yes you can prime on the press.

WiskyT
01-21-2012, 14:38
Just pulled up the manual. It has a primer seat like on a regular 550 except it does not move back and forth. So yes you can prime on the press.

That makes a lot of sense and makes the press a more viable option.

HexHead
01-22-2012, 11:19

Yep. You can do that, or do them in batches like with a single stage.