Suppressor on HD pistol [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor on HD pistol

Haldor
01-21-2012, 14:40
I purchased a 9 mm suppressor recently and have been considering leaving it on my primary home defense pistol, a Glock 17.

What is your opinion about this idea? I keep electronic shooting muffs near by beside gun safe, but have been thinking about using the suppressor instead. One possible downside to the suppressor is that it will make the pistol easier to wrest away from me in a hand to hand struggle. Besides that do you think there are likely to be any legal implications to using a suppressor in a self defense shooting? I am in Ohio.

Mas Ayoob
01-21-2012, 17:53
Haldor, I see three potential tactical downsides and one significant courtroom downside.

The first tactical downside is one you've already identified: the longer the pistol, the more leverage you give to the person trying to disarm you.

The second may or may not be there, depending on what you're using. Some suppression systems reduce 9mm Luger velocity to .380 ballistics, not something I'd care to defend my family with. A chronograph test with your home defense load is definitely in order, and I'm sure many here at Glock Talk would be interested in the results.

The third factor is that often, home defense situations begin with an unexpected knock at the door. Unless you sit at home wearing a custom-made holster for your suppressed pistol, that means you're answering the suspicious knock at the door with a gun in your hand and no place safe to put it if you discover it's the cops or some other no-shoot targets at the door. People answering a police knock at the door with a gun in their hand have been shot, and ordinary folks who knocked at a door and spotted a gun in the hand of the man who opened it can call in a complaint ranging from man with a gun to aggravated assault. Most pistols without a suppressor can be safetly tucked into the waistband and concealed in such a situation, preventing those bad outcomes.

On the courtroom side, I suspect you already know how many pro-gun firearms owners don't realize it's legal for you to own a suppressor. You'll probably see that to the power of ten in the jury pool, and if things go south you can expect opposing counsel to paint you as a criminal ninja assassin of the night for having a "silencer" on your pistol.

Hoping this has been responsive to your question,
Mas

Haldor
01-26-2012, 05:57
Thanks for the reply.

On the velocity issue. I have tested my G17 with both 124 grain and 147 grain ammo. The 124 grain was still supersonic while the 147 grain was not. I don't believe the suppressor has any appreciable effect on velocity (no wipes).

My carry piece is a G26 so I would not be likely to answer the door with the G17, but your comments about appearing overly eager to a jury resonate with me.

I guess I will just plan on using the shooting muffs.