Stretching out magazine springs? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stretching out magazine springs?

navycrewbrother
01-21-2012, 23:08
Hello from snowy Afghaninstan. I'm deployed here on a mission training and assessing Afghan Police. During some periodic quick reaction drill training, the Staff Sgt running it told us in a perfect world, we should rotate our magazines to destress the springs. However, since most of us were not issued enough magazines to do that (I was only issued 3 M9 and 7 M-16 mags), we should periodically take out mags apart and stretch the springs out by hand, ie, pulling on them.

At home, I do rotate my mags, though I know many people say it's unnecessary, due to the fact that the springs are never compressed past the point at which they can warp (I think it's called the spring constant, or 'k,' in physics).

One of my M-9 (Beretta 92) mags is an Airtronic, which I believe gave troops in Iraq a lot of problems. The other two are Check-mate.

Bottom line: I've never heard of stretching out mag springs by hand in 10 years in the military, along with the same amout of time shooting recreationally. A lot of bad "gouge" gets passed around the FOBs. Is this something I should be doing?

Thanks in advance for any help from the experts.

Mas Ayoob
01-23-2012, 16:11
I double checked this with a very experienced Beretta armorer, and his advice is this.

The stretching of the mag spring should ONLY be done if weak magazine spring problems have manifested themselves. In other words, IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!!

If you do have problems along that line, stretching the mag springs A LITTLE may help, but it will be a SHORT TERM FIX. It's like a red warning light on your dashboard: you can go a little way further with the spring stretch tweak, but it won't be long before the springs retake their "set." If you have mag problems, something needs to be fixed or replaced IMMEDIATELY.

I would strongly recommend ONLY Beretta or MecGar magazines for the Beretta M9. A great many such magazines and magazine components have been shipped to our people in Afghanistan and Iraq over the last decade by friends and family. Here's hoping you can get a few.

Thanking you for your service,
Mas

navycrewbrother
01-27-2012, 03:48
Thanks so much for the knowledge! I have not had any problems with my magazines yet, but I will attempt to get a couple MecGar and Beretta mags (I've aquired 1 Beretta mag since my last post, and it will be the one that stays in the weapon). I'll also work to put out the word, and kill bad gouge floating around.