Accidental firearm deaths fell to all-time low [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Accidental firearm deaths fell to all-time low

jdavionic
01-22-2012, 08:38
As you often read and hear, many in this country want to disarm citizens by citing how dangerous it is for Americans to have and carry guns. Funny, you don't read things like this often -
http://uscca.us/ccr/view_post.php?postId=603 (http://uscca.us/ccr/view_post.php?postId=603)

Those that have read my posts in this section know that I strongly advocate people who own and carry guns to get training and practice, practice, practice. This post is not to suggest any change in that stance. However it is meant to show that there is often a large distortion of the facts that is done in an effort to push an opinion.

You often see cherry picking of stories where accidents have happened, or someone carrying has exercised poor judgement that results in a tragedy, etc. True, it happens. However you can cherry pick other segments and make similar arguments - e.g., police officer accidentally shoots an innocent person.

Lastly, freedom does have some risk. However because some accidents do happen, or some terrorists do strike (ref: Patriot Act), or..., it doesn't mean that the answer is to take away the rights of the people.

Okay...I'll get off my soapbox. Fire away. :supergrin:

KS Trekker
01-22-2012, 08:54
I think you are starting to see firearms owners being more responsible with how they store their guns. This leads to fewer accidental shootings, especially with children in the home. It wasn't uncommon where I grew up for some kid to find a loaded .38 in his dad's sock drawer and accidentally shoot himself or a friend. Most gun owners I know seem to be doing a better job of securing their firearms and teaching their kids how to handle them.

jdavionic
01-22-2012, 15:15
I think you are starting to see firearms owners being more responsible with how they store their guns. This leads to fewer accidental shootings, especially with children in the home. It wasn't uncommon where I grew up for some kid to find a loaded .38 in his dad's sock drawer and accidentally shoot himself or a friend. Most gun owners I know seem to be doing a better job of securing their firearms and teaching their kids how to handle them.

Perhaps that's the case. I do think that positive stories are much harder to find though.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine