"Yellowing" Stainless Colt MkIV Series 80 ??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "Yellowing" Stainless Colt MkIV Series 80 ???

byf43
01-22-2012, 11:44
I got an e-mail from a friend of mine, and he found a brushed stainless steel Colt Mk IV Series 80 Gov't Model for a really good price, but, he says that the finish is 'yellowing' in "places".

Other than dried/old solvent, lube/grease, what would cause stainless steel to "yellow"????

ETA: Other than the 'yellowing', this Gov't. Mdl looks new, according to my friend.

Jim S.
01-22-2012, 12:29
It could very well be corrosion.
Stainless guns are not actually the type of stainless steel that does not "rust".
They are much less prone to corrosion than a carbon steel gun but they will show some signs of corrosion if neglected enough.
I wouldn't worry about it though as it would probably come off with a good scrubbing with oil or worse case scenario... Glass Bead Blast it.

Bruce M
01-22-2012, 12:45
I have seen nickel take on a yellowish tint.

ronin.45
01-22-2012, 16:14
I'm also thinking it could be nickel.

As stated, stainless in blades and guns will still rust.

Without pics it's hard to diagnose.

byf43
01-22-2012, 16:27
^^^
Agreed. No pics available, unfortunately.
He e-mailed me, and was trying to decide on whether or not to buy it for $500.00.

He said that was a 'not smooth' stainless finish (I suppose he meant 'brushed' stainless), and other than the 'yellowing', looked to be new.

I'll see him tomorrow and try to get more information. He may have bought it.

??????????

I told him for that $$$, I'd buy it!

ScarFace88
01-22-2012, 16:57
500 bucks for a Colt? BUY IT and worry about the finish later.

byf43
01-22-2012, 17:48
500 bucks for a Colt? BUY IT and worry about the finish later.

That is what I told him.

bustedknee
01-23-2012, 05:04
Its Yellow?

French gun!

Look it over for dings. It has been dropped at least once.

:animlol:

byf43
01-23-2012, 07:02
Its Yellow?

French gun!

Look it over for dings. It has been dropped at least once.

:animlol:

As Al Bourland would say, "I don't think so, Tim."

:supergrin:

Ronaldo
01-23-2012, 09:28
Definitely brushed ('satin') nickel....

I owned a Combat Commander in satin nickel, Series 70 that I bought new. After a few years of field use it took on a yellowish tint. Likely due to absorbtion of oil over the years.

It can be cleaned up with a bath of solvent or degreaser and a toothbrush but won'y regain the purity it had when new. Thing to do is to consider it a 'patina' which gives the gun character.

And yes, jump on it like a dog on a june bug!

Ronaldo

Bill Keith
01-23-2012, 17:20
Definitely brushed ('satin') nickel....

I owned a Combat Commander in satin nickel, Series 70 that I bought new. After a few years of field use it took on a yellowish tint. Likely due to absorbtion of oil over the years.

It can be cleaned up with a bath of solvent or degreaser and a toothbrush but won'y regain the purity it had when new. Thing to do is to consider it a 'patina' which gives the gun character.

And yes, jump on it like a dog on a june bug!

Ronaldo
Great Advice and I agree 100%
I would shoot the snot out of it and when tired of looking at it would send it off to get it refinished at some place like Robar's.:wavey:

Three-Five-Seven
01-23-2012, 18:12
Nickel is "yellow" to my eye. Chrome is "blue".

I have two nickel Colt's revolvers and they are definitely "yellow" when they're next to a stainless gun.

Satin Nickel was a regular finish on 1911 pistols. And, Colt's is notorious for applying heavy platings of Nickel to their guns.

byf43
01-24-2012, 21:16
Well, here's an update to the 'yellowing'.

My friend did not 'handle' the Colt Series 80 Gov't. Model before he sent the e-mail.
After talking about the pistol and the price (today), he went to the gunshop this afternoon and actually fondled it. (He thought that it might have been sold. . . . for the listed $500.00!)

The "yellowing" wiped off. Apparently, it was some old lube.
The pistol is electroless nickel, and is a 'standard' Gov't. Model.
It has black Pachmayr grip panels on it, with 'gold' Rampant Colt medallions in them.

The pistol is now a resident of his gunsafe!!!!

Thanks everyone, for your input and help!!

ronin.45
01-24-2012, 22:28
Glad he made out.