DPMS Sportical VS. S&W Sport Rifle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DPMS Sportical VS. S&W Sport Rifle

Civilian sheep Dog
01-22-2012, 12:00
Hey guys, I have a few extra dollars coming back to me this year, went all of 2011 with no major purchases. Now I'm in the market for a AR. the two I have in mind are the DPMS Sportical rifle (223/5.56) or the S&W M&P Sport which is the same caliber AR. I'm kinda leaning towards the M&P curious if anyone out there has any experience with either of these rifles or would recommend either of them
Thanks

Bimmer1
01-22-2012, 13:58
The M&P 15 Sport model get lots of great reviews!!! If you want a bare bones AR the M&P 15 Sport isn't a bad way to go.

Reswob
01-22-2012, 15:00
Most would say both are crap, and you could find a much better AR for the money...

Javelin
01-22-2012, 15:11
Yeah I wouldn't choose either to be honest. I have better things to spend $600 bones on.

wrx04
01-22-2012, 15:20
I recently did all the research for my first AR, and it can get kinda overwhelming for a newbie. My conclusion was the Colt 6920 is the best bang for the buck out there. I got one for $957 shipped from dsgarms.com, which is pretty damn good (no tax either). Save up a couple hundred extra bucks.

The general consensus was colt, DD, or BCM is the only way to go if you plan on putting anything more than a couple hundred rounds through it. Buy once, cry once.

Good luck.

zhix
01-22-2012, 16:04
Out of those twoI think pretty much everyone will favor the S&W hands down.

But yes, Colt 6920 for sure.

Delcorbett
01-22-2012, 16:09
I got to handle a m&p 15 sport the other day and was impressed. It had a heavy barrel, and a magpul 30rnd mag, it was 629.99, cannot go wrong for the price.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

bug
01-22-2012, 16:14
Hey guys, I have a few extra dollars coming back to me this year, went all of 2011 with no major purchases. Now I'm in the market for a AR. the two I have in mind are the DPMS Sportical rifle (223/5.56) or the S&W M&P Sport which is the same caliber AR. I'm kinda leaning towards the M&P curious if anyone out there has any experience with either of these rifles or would recommend either of them
Thanks

I do not Have either, so I don't really KNOW for sure but I have seen a lot of positive stuff about the M&P.

Also my understanding is that S&W is going to be offering a $100 rebate on M&P rifles so that should bring the price if you shop around to about $550 with tax out the door...

collim1
01-22-2012, 16:20
I have zero experience with the DPMS, but the M&P sport is hard to beat for the money. I consider it a "range only" gun, but it is a great shooter.

Reliable and accurate.

Its a great choice for someone who doesn't need a rifle fit for the battlefield or patrol.

Civilian sheep Dog
01-22-2012, 16:41
Cool thanks for the input

Civilian sheep Dog
01-22-2012, 20:58
I do not Have either, so I don't really KNOW for sure but I have seen a lot of positive stuff about the M&P.

Also my understanding is that S&W is going to be offering a $100 rebate on M&P rifles so that should bring the price if you shop around to about $550 with tax out the door...

If it's the Jan-June promo it excludes the AR 15 sport. But non the less still a great deal for a reliable AR.

bigcountry31987
01-22-2012, 21:32
i am in the market for a ar-15 as well and the s&w sport looked good to me too but it doesn't have forward assist no dust cover...not saying u really need all that but cant hurt right ....from what a lot of guys told me go with either a stag or rock river ...u can get a nicer rifle for only a little more $$$$ ....also hear great things about palmetto state armory and their prices are awesome

emopunker2004
01-22-2012, 21:46
I say build your own. Buy an upper. Buy a stripped lower and lower parts kit.
PSA has good prices right now.

JaPes
01-22-2012, 21:51
I always love these types of replies. They're just so darn useful aren't they?

Most would say both are crap, and you could find a much better AR for the money...

"Most would say..." Really? If "most" people think it's crap it's got to be true! :rofl:

Yeah I wouldn't choose either to be honest. I have better things to spend $600 bones on.

No elaboration on why you wouldn't choose either? That's helpful.

Several others have asked the OP's question recently. I'll combine the posts I've written as replies:

I'll be honest. I was in the same position as you when deciding what AR to buy on a budget. Do I buy a complete rifle? Do I build a lower & top it off with an upper? When I started doing my initial research, I was overwhelmed with the myriad of AR build options & details.

Even though I'm mechanically inclined & a tinkerer, I erred on the side of caution. I purchased my S&W M&P 15-Sport. I don't delude myself into believing that I'm a "tactical operator". When I put my skills & use into context, the S&W M&P 15-Sport fulfills my needs at the right price.

While I understand the need for a dust cover, the omission of it wouldn't be an issue for my use. I'm at a range. I'm not running & gunning nor competing in any three gun competitions.

While I understand the purpose & function of a forward assist, the omission of it isn't an issue given my skill level. If a round does not fully chamber, I can gently push on the scallop on the bolt to get it into full battery. If the bolt does not go into battery, my inexperience with the AR platform combined with a forward assist could cause a bigger problem. I'd rather eject the round that won't properly chamber & inspect it, than be an idiot jamming on the forward assist making things worse.

While I understand the benefits of chrome lined barrels, the fact is that I'm obsessive about cleaning my firearms after every range visit. A chrome lined barrel isn't a priority for the way I will use an AR.

My lack of knowledge also gave me pause. If it breaks, will I have the tools, resources, & knowledge to fix it on my own? The S&W's limited lifetime factory warranty is a security blanket for this newbie AR owner.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/SW%20MP%2015%20Sport/IMG_0266-1.jpg

Is it the best? Is it the most tactical? Probably not. The S&W M&P 15-Sport is a good practical, all-round rifle. For this AR newb, it is serving as a great gateway to the AR addiction.

It's barrel is chambered for 5.56, so I can shoot .223 or 5.56. The 1:8 5R rifling is the "Goldilocks" rifling. I can shoot ammo with projectile weights in the middle of the range. I don't shoot projectile weights nearing either end of the range. The Melonite treatment makes cleaning easy.

As others have advised, you can assemble your own lower & top it off with a complete upper for about the same price. This advice & then post purchase reaction was always given with a good-hearted ribbing.

Being mechanically inclined & a tinkerer, I the thought of building a lower stuck with me. Having the S&W M&P 15-Sport allowed me to really look at the lower to see how it's all put together. I decided to give it a try.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/AR%20BUILD%201/DelawareMachineryStrippedLower-1.jpg

+

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/AR%20BUILD%201/RGUNS-AR15-LowerPartsKit-1.jpg

+

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/AR%20BUILD%201/RGUNS-M4-6PosStock-Black-1.jpg

=

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/AR%20BUILD%201/48b176be-1-1.jpg

I was a bit apprehensive to build my own lower. I shouldn't have been. If you follow directions step-by-step, assembling a lower is not difficult. I found it to be easy to do. The parts are as plug & play as they get.

Even though I built a budget lower, using standard parts, I take a measure of pride in assembling it. Assembling my own was also a learning experience. I know how a basic AR lower functions.

IMO, you can't go wrong either buying a complete rifle like a S&W M&P 15-Sport, or taking the plunge & assembling a lower + topping it off with a complete upper.

Either way, you'll end up with a good rifle within your budget.

As for me the more I learn about the AR, the more I realize that there's so much more I don't know. I'm always learning something new.

Good luck with your decision, & let us know how it turns out for you.

Cheers!

Javelin
01-22-2012, 22:18
I always love these types of replies. They're just so darn useful aren't they?

"Most would say..." Really? If "most" people think it's crap it's got to be true!

No elaboration on why you wouldn't choose either? That's helpful.

Several others have asked the OP's question recently. I'll combine the posts I've written as replies:

I'll be honest. I was in the same position as you when deciding what AR to buy on a budget. Do I buy a complete rifle? Do I build a lower & top it off with an upper? When I started doing my initial research, I was overwhelmed with the myriad of AR build options & details.

Even though I'm mechanically inclined & a tinkerer, I erred on the side of caution. I purchased my S&W M&P 15-Sport. I don't delude myself into believing that I'm a "tactical operator". When I put my skills & use into context, the S&W M&P 15-Sport fulfills my needs at the right price.

While I understand the need for a dust cover, the omission of it wouldn't be an issue for my use. I'm at a range. I'm not running & gunning nor competing in any three gun competitions.

While I understand the purpose & function of a forward assist, the omission of it isn't an issue given my skill level. If a round does not fully chamber, I can gently push on the scallop on the bolt to get it into full battery. If the bolt does not go into battery, my inexperience with the AR platform combined with a forward assist could cause a bigger problem. I'd rather eject the round that won't properly chamber & inspect it, than be an idiot jamming on the forward assist making things worse.

While I understand the benefits of chrome lined barrels, the fact is that I'm obsessive about cleaning my firearms after every range visit. A chrome lined barrel isn't a priority for the way I will use an AR.

My lack of knowledge also gave me pause. If it breaks, will I have the tools, resources, & knowledge to fix it on my own? The S&W's limited lifetime factory warranty is a security blanket for this newbie AR owner.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/SW%20MP%2015%20Sport/IMG_0266-1.jpg

Is it the best? Is it the most tactical? Probably not. The S&W M&P 15-Sport is a good practical, all-round rifle. For this AR newb, it is serving as a great gateway to the AR addiction.

It's barrel is chambered for 5.56, so I can shoot .223 or 5.56. The 1:8 5R rifling is the "Goldilocks" rifling. I can shoot ammo with projectile weights in the middle of the range. I don't shoot projectile weights nearing either end of the range. The Melonite treatment makes cleaning easy.

As others have advised, you can assemble your own lower & top it off with a complete upper for about the same price. This advice & then post purchase reaction was always given with a good-hearted ribbing.

Being mechanically inclined & a tinkerer, I the thought of building a lower stuck with me. Having the S&W M&P 15-Sport allowed me to really look at the lower to see how it's all put together. I decided to give it a try.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/AR%20BUILD%201/DelawareMachineryStrippedLower-1.jpg

+

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/AR%20BUILD%201/RGUNS-AR15-LowerPartsKit-1.jpg

+

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/AR%20BUILD%201/RGUNS-M4-6PosStock-Black-1.jpg

=

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/AR%20BUILD%201/48b176be-1-1.jpg

I was a bit apprehensive to build my own lower. I shouldn't have been. If you follow directions step-by-step, assembling a lower is not difficult. I found it to be easy to do. The parts are as plug & play as they get.

Even though I built a budget lower, using standard parts, I take a measure of pride in assembling it. Assembling my own was also a learning experience. I know how a basic AR lower functions.

IMO, you can't go wrong either buying a complete rifle like a S&W M&P 15-Sport, or taking the plunge & assembling a lower + topping it off with a complete upper.

Either way, you'll end up with a good rifle within your budget.

As for me the more I learn about the AR, the more I realize that there's so much more I don't know. I'm always learning something new.

Good luck with your decision, & let us know how it turns out for you.

Cheers!

Defend your purchase & methods all you want. Most of us have and have owned the brands. I wouldn't waste my $600 on either of those rifles.

Why even bother saying more? :dunno:

JaPes
01-22-2012, 22:27
Defend your purchase & methods all you want. Most of us have and have owned the brands. I wouldn't waste my $600 on either of those rifles.

I was relating why, as a new AR owner, I made my choice. Maybe the OP can find something useful in it, and put it into the context of his choice.

I'll reiterate that the S&W M&P Sport may not be the best rifle, but it is a good gateway to the AR addiction.

Why bother saying more? Because the information/experience you have can possibly help those of us that don't have the same level of experience as you.

Javelin
01-22-2012, 22:33
I was relating why, as a new AR owner, I made my choice. Maybe the OP can find something useful in it, and put it into the context of his choice.

I'll reiterate that the S&W M&P Sport may not be the best rifle, but it is a good gateway to the AR addiction.

Why bother saying more? Because the information/experience you have can possibly help those of us that don't have the same level of experience as you.

There is a search button if the OP is really looking into serious ARs.

Tim151515
01-22-2012, 22:36

I know right. an ar rifle is only good if it is ready to go to battle in the mountains of afghanistan right now. those people who just want one to have fun with at the range without all the extra features that is the price of a handgun or less are just wasting their money :faint:

JaPes
01-22-2012, 22:41

There is a search button if the OP is really looking into serious ARs.

Ok then.

JaPes
01-22-2012, 22:47
I took a look at a picture of the DPMS Sportical. The exterior difference, other than the front sights, that stood out is that the DPMS Sportical does not have a brass deflector by the ejection port whereas the M&P Sport does.

If you're a left-handed shooter, it could be an important difference.

Javelin
01-22-2012, 22:55
I know right. an ar rifle is only good if it is ready to go to battle in the mountains of afghanistan right now. those people who just want one to have fun with at the range without all the extra features that is the price of a handgun or less are just wasting their money :faint:

Naw. But I have given up trying to tell people to buy this or buy that. I just try and answer the question they presented. I have an affinity for Noveske Rifles but I am willing to drop $2k+ on a rifle. I understand many cannot. So there are Colts, Daniel Defense, LMT... then there are also BCM, LWRT, Stag... and of course we can't forget PSA, BM, Armalite, Ruger, SIG... it is just a laundry list of guns and everyone has an opinion.

Mine for this thread is that there are many other things I would drop $600 on and a DPMS Sportical or S&W Sportical are not on that list.

Javelin
01-22-2012, 23:03
It is also almost midnight here and I am very tired but cannot sleep so .... I guess the long and short of it is this.

CivilianSheepDog I like you (as most on this forum). I wouldn't and don't want to steer someone wrong. I am 100% confident that you will be better served saving up $385 more dollars and buying a Colt 6920. It will serve you well and you will enjoy it for years. And no, just for the record I don't love Colts. I don't consider them to be the end-all-be-all rifle like many parrot every single day on other boards. They are just a very good value for the money and really a solid gun that your grand kids will be able to enjoy.

Or you can easily find uppers & lowers slightly used on sale on many M4 forums that are great value. BCM for instance allows you to build your upper and lower and have them shipped seperately. If you wish (and I recommend should you choose to 'build' yourself) is as stated above by buying a complete upper and then buying a stripped lower of the same brand you found your upper because the hugh of the coloration varies from makers and they can look purplish or grey or black depending so having them match and having a matched rifle will help in resale should you do so later down the road.

Then go ahead and assemble the stripped lower from a DD/PSA/etc parts kit (or whatever parts kit you get a deal on... I would avoid DPMS to be honest but some on here found they have had no issues with so I will leave it at that).

Then you have a decent AR for about $800 total after everything is said and done. Else, just get a Colt. Buying a quality AR is pricey. Buying another AR to replace and upgrade the lesser one you bought is where it gets expensive.

JaPes
01-22-2012, 23:34
Thank you sir! I understand how tiring it can be to answer the same question again and again. I do appreciate you taking the time out to give out some advice.

I didn't think to keep a build's stripped lower & upper from the same manufacturer due to finish differences. I'm banging my head against the desk for not thinking about that. I'll have to deal with that bone-headed mistake when I finally decide on a complete upper. I'm taking my time so I can figure things out.

I've held a Colt 6920. The local FFL had one at a recent gun show. The end-customer let me handle it. I had to keep my drool off it. I hear nothing but good things about it. A Colt is definitely on the distant future buy list.

I understand dropping $2K on a Noveseke rifle. Like everything, there's a measure of truth in the saying "you get what you pay for". I put it in context of my former sport bike riding days. While I loved my CBR 600rr, I knew it was not even close to any Italian bike. They're both sport bikes, and both grossly do the same thing. The difference was in the fine details that affected the overall experience.

G30Mike
01-22-2012, 23:51
FWIW, I have a DPMS Sportical for a range toy and haven't had any problems with it. Only have about 600 rounds through it, and the only time I had a malfunction was one light primer strike. That was within the first 50 or so rounds fired. All in all, I'm very happy with it.
Planning on ordering the CMMG 300 Blackout upper to use on the lower in a week or so.

joecoastie
01-23-2012, 04:45
The general consensus was colt, DD, or BCM is the only way to go if you plan on putting anything more than a couple hundred rounds through it. Buy once, cry once.

Good luck.

Well, I have a couple hundred rounds through my S&W Sport, guess I better just throw the POS in the trash since I've exceeded its service life....:dunno:

svtpwnz
01-23-2012, 06:36
I say neither and save a few more bucks for a better rifle.

Six4Sure
01-23-2012, 06:46
Thanks

Either will be great first time AR rifles. Unless your range is in fact Afghanistan, you probably wont need a dust cover, and to be honest, I have never used the forward assist on my Colt. Your first rifle is more about learning fundamentals, and you are going to clean the crap out of it, so that miniscule amount of dust that may or may not get into the bolt will be negligible.

Some pros of getting the Smith would be the lifetime warranty and they always seem to be having a rebate. Free stuff or less expensive gun, cant go wrong.

A friend of mine just put together a DPMS, its nice, fit and finish is great for the money, functioned flawlessly at the range.

I would also recommend looking at Rock Rivers, they may be a bit more expensive but are damn good ones.

Start with iron sights and learn fundamentals, also with the money you can save on getting one of those options, you can buy ammo. An AR is like a horse, buying its not the problem, feeding it is. The mall ninjas may say you need a Colt or some high end gun, but decide for your self, do you want to spend more time at the range shooting a less expensive gun, or cleaning one you cant afford to shoot.

Z71bill
01-23-2012, 07:32
M&P Sport = Toyota Corolla

Colt 6920 = Lexus IS250

Taphius
01-23-2012, 07:41
I have about two thousands rounds Of wolf and tula ammo through my doublestar car-15. For 649 I'm Damn happy with it. M4 feedramps, staked castle nut, staked bolt,f front sight post, Damn good stock trigger, good fit and finish. Spikes .22lr kick works well in it.

The s&w would easily match it, so I don't think you would have any issues with it and if you did s&w would take care of you.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

arclight610
01-23-2012, 07:54
OP,

I have a Palmetto State Armory build that I did myself. I think total, it ran around $550 to do. It has all the military features like 1/7 twist, CL 4150 barrel, M4 feed ramps, MPI Bolt, ect.

However, my buddies Stag, which has none of that, keeps up with my rifle fine. We shoot fairly often and never less than 1000rds in a day. We also practice bounding and 2-man tactics, so our weapons hit the dirt and concrete often.

In fact, my buffer tube broke and his rifle has had no problems.

wrx04
01-23-2012, 09:12
Well, I have a couple hundred rounds through my S&W Sport, guess I better just throw the POS in the trash since I've exceeded its service life....:dunno:

I didnt mean to offend you, and i never said it was a POS. I am totally new to the platform myself, so i am only speaking from the research i have done. However, the guys who do know what they are talking about on m4carbine.net (and here too) all agree that the S&W is not a hard use gun.

5000 rounds later, your gun is much more likely to have serious issues compare to others, thats all. There is no getting around the fact "you get what you pay for".

M&P15T
01-23-2012, 09:58

Look, if someone is willing to spend a few hundred (closer to 1K) more, than yes, there are better deals out there. In fact, PSA had a deal going for their basic M4gery for $600 a while back, and that is something that I would choose over an M&P sport.

But, setting aside the PSA deal (which I believe is over, but could be wrong), a person looking to spend around $600 is getting a good deal with the M&P Sport model.

M&P15T
01-23-2012, 10:02
I didnt mean to offend you, and i never said it was a POS. I am totally new to the platform myself, so i am only speaking from the research i have done. However, the guys who do know what they are talking about on m4carbine.net (and here too) all agree that the S&W is not a hard use gun.

5000 rounds later, your gun is much more likely to have serious issues compare to others, thats all. There is no getting around the fact "you get what you pay for".

Depends on how you take care of it. Keep it clean and properly lubed, and 5K isn't much, through any decent quality AR. Run it hard and keep the maintenance low, and a cheaper AR might have more problems. But then again, it may not, you never know.

Keep in mind that the many folks at M4Carbine.net (and here in the BRF) are very much AR snobs that feel the need to own the best quality stuff......and there's nothing wrong with that. But since most people that buy ARs will never use them hard, they're fine for the vast majority of shooters out there.

Z71bill
01-23-2012, 13:05

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/06/benjamin-t-shotzberger/%EF%BB%BF-gun-review-smith-and-wesson-mp15-sport/

"Smith claims that the bare bones approach has no effect on durability. They’ve fed two M&P15 Sport test rifles a combined ~170,000 rounds of various brands of ammunition without any [visible] damage to the Melonite finishing process"

bmoore
01-23-2012, 13:35

Colt 6920 = Lexus IS250

This is spot on. Lexus= Overpriced.

joecoastie
01-23-2012, 14:33

Not really offended, it just amazes me how many people with no hands on experience with a particular brand can be such experts on them. Just because someone has 800,000 posts on M4C.net doesn't really count as credentials to me, now there are guys with a lot of real life experience, like Surf who posts frequently in BRF here, whose advice I would pay attention too.
As far as hard use, frankly if I was looking for a hard use rifle I wouldn't even be looking at ARs, I would probably be looking at something like a SCAR.
No don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those guys that tries to say their $600ish rifle is equal to a $2,000ish rifle. But here is a report of an M&P15 Sport that survived a week long training course at Gunsite.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/06/benjamin-t-shotzberger/%EF%BB%BF-gun-review-smith-and-wesson-mp15-sport/

ETA: I see that Z71Bill posted the same link.

maxpower220
01-23-2012, 16:05
I have been looking for a budget AR also. After my process of looking, I believe that I am going to purchase the M&P. A few reasons: Warranty from a complete gun vs building one. It comes with sights. It seems that everyone who purchases an AR (like a 1911) will be changing something: even if they buy the $2000 gun. I like the solid trigger guard on the Sport. I am interested in the PSA, but I feel more secure with the ability to have S&W take care of any problems that I MAY encounter.

Unlike many on the zombie forums, I have carried an M4 in combat. The dust cover didn't keep out the dust while I was in Iraq. I'm quite sure my safe has less dust than there. I have never used the forward assist, other than to demo it as a "feature".

Civilian sheep Dog
01-23-2012, 17:15
Thanks for the input. The reason I'm choosing between these two rifles is because that's the budget I'm working with. People say just save up 300 more bucks and score a colt 6920 I totally understand but to be honest im not a die hard AR fan, I just would like a decent platform where I can go to the range and have fun possibly buy some add on's and that's about it. My range is stacked with people with AR's and I almost dont want one just cause everyone has one, but why should I starve myself of the AR just for that reason. If I come away with a new outlook on the AR I'll prob sell the one I'm getting and move into something more advanced (money wise). Right now I'm leaning towards the S&W sport. I'll post pics and my take on it when I get it. I hear good things from people who actually own one and its a great value. Thanks everyone who posted

JaPes
01-23-2012, 17:22
Thanks for the input. The reason I'm choosing between these two rifles is because that's the budget I'm working with. People say just save up 300 more bucks and score a colt 6920 I totally understand but to be honest im not a die hard AR fan, I just would like a decent platform where I can go to the range and have fun possibly buy some add on's and that's about it. My range is stacked with people with AR's and I almost dont want one just cause everyone has one, but why should I starve myself of the AR just for that reason. If I come away with a new outlook on the AR I'll prob sell the one I'm getting and move into something more advanced (money wise). Right now I'm leaning towards the S&W sport. I'll post pics and my take on it when I get it. I hear good things from people who actually own one and its a great value. Thanks everyone who posted

:highfive:

For your intended use & budget, the S&W M&P 15-Sport will be a perfect fit. I bought mine for similar reasons.

I love it because it isn't ammo sensitive. I'll pick up the least expensive TulAmmo @ WalMart & have a good time at the range. It just works. If it ever breaks, I just call up S&W for factory warranty service.

collim1
01-23-2012, 17:28

Colt 6920 = Lexus IS250

Its more like a Corolla vs a Avalon IMO.

mmorgret
01-23-2012, 17:37
hiu9u9

collim1
01-23-2012, 17:54
hiu9u9

???..

vram74
01-23-2012, 17:55
I own an M&P Sport and think its a good rifle. That being said, I wish I had the patience to save an extra $300 dollars for a Colt 6920. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the rifle, but I like the look of an upper with FA/DA. IMO, S&W probably saved about zero omitting those features and did it for no other reason than product differentiation from its more expensive ARs. Its barrel is accurate and the Melonite coating is almost as durable as Chrome lining. Additionally, My gun shoots the same as my friends 6920, has a better trigger and has less slop between the upper/lower.

Funny thing about my AR is that I've spent almost as much dressing it up as I would've spent on a Colt. $639 for the gun, $120 for Magpul MOE furniture and another $45 for a BCM Gunfighter charging handle. I would've bought the same stuff for the Colt though.

Here's mine, btw :)

joecoastie
01-23-2012, 17:57
I really like mine. Granted, I'm not an "operator", haven't been to any carbine classes and only have a few hundred rounds through it so far. As you can see I swapped out the factory stock for an ACE Socom, To me it feels more sturdy than most the other collapsible stocks. Really the only issue I had was that it didn't like the hard primers used in most steel case ammo. I put in an extra power hammer spring (cheap and easy fix) and haven't had anymore issues.
Sure you could save up another 3-400 bucks and get a Colt, or you could buy the Sport and use that money for a bunch of Pmags and ammo.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=396&pictureid=5265

Z71bill
01-23-2012, 18:02
Its more like a Corolla vs a Avalon IMO.

Avalon "gun" would shoot a .308 :tongueout:

The point was - both will get you to work on time -

JustBlue
01-23-2012, 18:07
I bought a sportical a few years ago to defend myself at the range from all the evil paper. To this day, it still does what I got it for and is still a fun gun. If it is to be a range toy, you do not need a dust cover or a forward assist for it to work but you will need some kind of optics or sights as the sportical comes with none. Haven't held the m&p but looke like it has a front sight so factor this into you price. Either way, get what you like and enjoy.

Glock21Owner
01-24-2012, 09:21
A friend just bought a Sport from Cabela's and loves it. It is a well made rifle, at a price point that many can afford. You need not spend more to get what you probably don't need, hence the reason why S&W made this particular rifle. It fills a niche very nicely and with an optic (Nikon M223 scope on a detachable mount in my friend's case) this rig is perfect for range use. Once you realize you can save up a few hundred and get a Colt, well then you can up a few hundred and get something else with a piston. And if you save a few hundred more, then. . . well you get the picture. Bottom line is the Sport model is a great rifle at a great price.

mingaa
02-16-2012, 21:26
I'm in a similar position and have been looking at basic good quality ARs as I save. My goal is to shoot 3 gun in 2012. ARs have been scarce and prices have risen steadily. The price leaders have been consistently backordered. The s&w was at the top of my list but either unavailable or offered at sick prices. Yes I pondered saving for the Colt with starter range guns inching up. I have my muck and mire AKs and AM only looking for a range gun in this caliber. A trusted dealer appeared yesterday (on line) with DPMS Sporticals for $600. I jumped on it and will report on what sights I use and how it meets my need. Truth is if I won Powerball I'd be shopping very differently in many areas. Such is life and frankly I'm having a ball. Last weekend I shot an IDPA match with an added BUG class. A great time was had by all and we're better for it. BUG gun 5 shot stations. Everyone should try it.

John Biltz
02-17-2012, 23:21
My honest opinion is most people spend too much on ARs, including myself, and you don't always get what you paid for something, including ARs. With high end whatevers you generally spend more and more money for increasingly marginal high end features. The corolla/Lexus comparison is interesting, a lot of people have gotten pretty good use out of corollas and been happy with them, particularly those on budgets. I've seen plenty of broken Colt made M16s, that is why units have extra rifles. At any given time 3-5% of them are down. I've bent a barrel on a parachute jump myself. The vast majority of people will never do more than shoot at paper on a range or if using it in HD will never fire a full magazine through it. Frankly, they only need a corolla and will be well served by one.

I like a dust cover but I live in the desert and dust gets everywhere, even in closets. I like a forward assist, using your thumb into the notch is fine with a cold weapon. Do that with a gun you just fired a magazine out of could leave a mark and its what I was trained for. Saying that, its not that important and certainly would not be a deal breaker, I think I used one once or twice in twenty years in the Army.

chris in va
02-17-2012, 23:53
2800 reloads through my Sport, no major issues.

Color me ignorant, but in what way is a $900 rifle better than the Sport if you're using it for Range and HD use?

fowler
02-18-2012, 07:00
I have owned a half dozen ar,s and once a DPM sportacal. All I own now is the SW Sport its a fine rifle ,no problems and better than some M4 clones I had. Its a good rifle for sure for any purpose or protection of the home.

Made Man
02-18-2012, 07:16
I love these types of threads. I would love to own a Noveske rifle, but for 2K+ I'll just use Noveske parts on my S&W Sport. I got $630 in my sport, now with a few added personal preferenses, this rifle works. WHEN I drop it and get it scratched up and dirty, bang it around in the brush, and shoot the infamous TulAmmo. I don't feel so bad, but I get the performance for whatever crazy activity that I'm indulging in. I like it and it has taken all the abuse I have put it through without a wimper.

Just my experinces with the S&W Sport, just my story, but I'm sticking to it (and my Sport).

farmer2
02-18-2012, 07:32
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the M&P lower on the sport of good quality and highly regarded. If so, down the road, a person could pick up an "m4carbine.net" upper and be in great shape. You would have a plinker for practice, and a operator quality upper for all your tactical missions.

farmer2

fowler
02-18-2012, 08:33
I will leave mine stock it don,t need anything other than the $500 aimpoint site&mount and more Magpul magazines and ammo I bought for it. Its my housegun&camp gun.

CJStudent
02-18-2012, 09:31
I have zero experience with the DPMS, but the M&P sport is hard to beat for the money. I consider it a "range only" gun, but it is a great shooter.

Reliable and accurate.

Its a great choice for someone who doesn't need a rifle fit for the battlefield or patrol.

That's my experience with the M&P exactly. Honestly, other than lacking the dust cover, I would have very few issues with using it as a socially serious weapon. The main thing I did with mine was replace the furniture with Magpul, mostly for personal preference, but also the factory handguard doesn't have a heat shield at all in it.

DreamWeaver88
02-18-2012, 10:14
According to the "experts", DPMS and S&W are at the bottom of the fabled "AR15 Tier". I mean, they aren't parked under the FSB for Gods sake.

Save up the extra 1200 and get a decent AR15. :whistling:

DW

fowler
02-18-2012, 13:28
Yes after the Sport MP15 and Aimpoint site +mount 5 more magpul mags and 500rds of ball ammo I got near $1500.00 into the set-up. Great rifle! All I need and nothing I don,t.

Javelin
02-18-2012, 14:10
Thank you sir! I understand how tiring it can be to answer the same question again and again. I do appreciate you taking the time out to give out some advice.

I didn't think to keep a build's stripped lower & upper from the same manufacturer due to finish differences. I'm banging my head against the desk for not thinking about that. I'll have to deal with that bone-headed mistake when I finally decide on a complete upper. I'm taking my time so I can figure things out.

I've held a Colt 6920. The local FFL had one at a recent gun show. The end-customer let me handle it. I had to keep my drool off it. I hear nothing but good things about it. A Colt is definitely on the distant future buy list.

I understand dropping $2K on a Noveseke rifle. Like everything, there's a measure of truth in the saying "you get what you pay for". I put it in context of my former sport bike riding days. While I loved my CBR 600rr, I knew it was not even close to any Italian bike. They're both sport bikes, and both grossly do the same thing. The difference was in the fine details that affected the overall experience.

You did right by building your own lower. I have built (a few) myself and enjoy it tremendously. I usually use DD parts kits but the last build I put together for a friend of mine I used a PSA kit and it worked really well.

I love motorcycles. Wish I could afford an italian or heck even a nice BMW would be nice... I think it would be hard to explain to someone that only shoots HiPoint pistols to change over to Glocks. HiPoints work for the most part & they go bang. Same to be said about folks who smoke factory rolled cigars what the difference is between that Philly or SwisherSweet they have in their hand and a CAO, Maximus, or Ashton. It is something you just have to experience and we have all been there. I guess folks just have to learn for themselves and if they never have had a premium cigar or rode a premium bike then I guess they will never miss a thing. :dunno: