Tulammo....... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tulammo.......

USMCgs3
01-22-2012, 21:05
So I put 2 boxes of their 180grain fmj's through my 27 today, and absolutely no issues. I've seen some negative reviews on it (ie: very dirty..ect) but at $12.xx for a box of 50 at Wally world... Any reason I shouldn't stock up on it for range ammo?? It wouldnt be used as hd/sd.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Jagged
01-22-2012, 21:18
It's under $9/box at CTD. Might want to check on the cost of shipping for ordering 5-10 boxes from them.

I reload for most of my firearms, but the steel cased stuff is great to have on hand for trips to the range where I don't want to bring my brass home.

pureform1278
01-22-2012, 21:21
So I put 2 boxes of their 180grain fmj's through my 27 today, and absolutely no issues. I've seen some negative reviews on it (ie: very dirty..ect) but at $12.xx for a box of 50 at Wally world... Any reason I shouldn't stock up on it for range ammo?? It wouldnt be used as hd/sd.

My wally world sells them for $9 and winchester and federals go for $10.69...

USMCgs3
01-22-2012, 21:26
This one sells the 9mm for $9 but .40 for $12, I've been doing some shopping around and might have to check out other walmarts around the Austin area. Idk why but I feel like paying another dollar or two to have them in my hand now, might out-weigh waiting for them to be shipped. I'm looking to buy some serious bulk soon... So I'm shopping around still.

CrookCounty
01-22-2012, 21:35
My wally world sells them for $9 and winchester and federals go for $10.69...

MIne is the same...

Used TulAmmo today and not a single issue....it's pretty dirty but I have to clean the gun anyways after shooting so who cares.

I will be buying more in bulk for sure.

Gperfection
01-22-2012, 21:48
Put a magnet on the bullet/projectile. It's steel. Save it for a rainy day, literally. If you are shooting outdoors anyway. This type of ammo has been banned by a lot of ranges also. It has been known to be the cause of many wildfires. Steel bullets hitting rocks and such, results in a spark, which in turn can ignite dry vegetation. I have also witnessed a number of bad Tula rounds that don't go bang everytime. Junk in my opinion.

Jagged
01-22-2012, 21:52
Put a magnet on the bullet/projectile. It's steel. Save it for a rainy day, literally. If you are shooting outdoors anyway. This type of ammo has been banned by a lot of ranges also. It has been known to be the cause of many wildfires. Steel bullets hitting rocks and such, results in a spark, which in turn can ignite dry vegetation. I have also witnessed a number of bad Tula rounds that don't go bang everytime. Junk in my opinion.

At most, it has a steel core. :upeyes:

jaklcrow
01-22-2012, 21:55
Any truth to the steel case wearing out the extractor much quicker? Thats the only issue I possibly have with it.

Ferdinandd
01-22-2012, 21:58
I shot some 9mm along with cheap Federal, and the Tula was definately less consistent in the pistols that I tried it in - Glock 17 and a Ruger SR9. The Tula groups looked like buckshot patterns from either pistol. I'll pass.

Ballcoach16
01-22-2012, 22:24
My 30sf loves tula, as did my sr9c, as well as my wallet. My BG380 on the other hand takes two trigger pulls to fire each round, so Tula is a no-no in .380 for me.

Gperfection
01-22-2012, 22:57
No, actually the core is lead. I have pulled the bullet from a Tula round and melted the lead out of it. What is left behind is a fairly thick, copper plated steel jacket.

zippyhuntin
01-22-2012, 23:02

It's not steel cored ammo. It has what is called a bimetal jacket. A very thin layer of copper over a steel jacket.

http://www.uspsa.org/front-sight-mag...BiMetal-Ammo-8

Gperfection
01-22-2012, 23:03
My 30sf loves tula, as did my sr9c, as well as my wallet. My BG380 on the other hand takes two trigger pulls to fire each round, so Tula is a no-no in .380 for me.
Yea, just the other day I had a guy doing an off duty qual with a BG380. He was shooting Tula and out of the 36 rounds, he had 15 of them that didn't fire on the first pull. Good thing the BG380 has double strike capability.

DEADEYEGUY
01-23-2012, 00:48
I've had good luck with the 180gr. .40. Very mild load to shoot. On the 9mm I'll get a dud every once in awhile. Mostly use it went I can't get anything else. Never seen it harm a gun.

Snooch..!!!
01-23-2012, 01:48
I've had nothing but flawless function with Tula and Monarch both brass and steel cased.

I've heard plenty of people bad mouth it and buy more expensive ammo, but I highly doubt they have actually shot it. Kind of a mind set I've seen where they buy into the "hype" and won't even give it a try.

But like i said, I have shot 1000's of rounds of this stuff both pistol and carbine. My best friend who shoots matches with me almost exclusively shoots Tula through his Beretta 92 and XDM and he has never had a hiccup either that I've seen or heard about. He shoots Tula so often he gets teased by other shooters that he must be sponsored by them.

donovan655
01-23-2012, 06:27
my experience with both 40 an 9mm:

Works okay
occasional hard primer
smells like cat piss
some magazines on other guns don't take to the steel case all that well.

Merkavaboy
01-23-2012, 07:50

If Tulammo (or any handgun ammo) had a steel core it would never be allowed into the U.S. because it would be deemed Armor Piercing.

SJ 40
01-23-2012, 08:07
Thankfully I reload so I'm not facing the option of having to shoot Tula ammunition in my firearms. SJ 40

RJHUB
01-23-2012, 08:09
I always buy a few boxes when in WalMart. 9,.40,.45, and .223.
Gives me a few hundred extra rounds when at the range.
Glocks seem to love it. It does stink.
Kinda nice not to worry about picking up brass.

vetmedglock30
01-23-2012, 08:22
I have run >2k of it through my G17. Never a problem. I still only clean it every 1K. It may be a "dirty" ammo, but the G17 likes it just fine. :)

anubisgodofgods
01-23-2012, 08:24
Any truth to the steel case wearing out the extractor much quicker? Thats the only issue I possibly have with it.
This is what my gunsmith told me. He said to shoot all the steel case ammo you want in a pistol because it helps to keep him in business. He has already had to replace a few extractors for customers that shoot steel case ammo in their pistols. He said rifles, especialy Russian rifles, can handle steel case because that is what they use over seas so the rifles are built to handle the harder casings.

tcruse
01-23-2012, 08:32
The bi-metal jacket is common among ammo that is imported. I have seen it on both low-priced and high-priced ammo. The steel in the jacket is very soft and does not damage barrels or backstops. The stell case is also something that usually does not do anything bad. The only issue with the case is the coating on the steel. Some claim to have had some issues from the coating, but most of these have been corrected in the coating that you will see in non-surplus ammo. I also have seen some Tula 9mm that is not using a bi-metal jacket. I think that their published intent is to stop the bi-metal for ammo exported to the US to eleminate this exact disussion.

The issue of the range not allowing it usually stems from re-sale of brass and lead as part of their profit plan. On this issue you may need to either change ammo or ranges. The people that you have to deal with at the counter are usually not knowledgeable enough to have a technical converstion about the issue or in a management position that would allow changes to range policies.

For my part, I am more concerned about heavy metal exposure on indoor ranges. I know of no easy way to compare ammo as to the risk factors. I would expect the US made ammo to be better, but really no way to determine that. There are certainly some brands/products that are cleaner but usually there is a price for that. The "hyper-clean" ammo is about 2-3X in cost and no way to confirm the difference.

The only ammo that I think may be less toxic and at a reasonable price is the TNJ (Total Nylon Jacket) and the TMJ (Total Metal Jacket) bullets. These are usualy from CCI. CCI has a very good reputation for this kind of thing. Cabela's has TNJ ammo at about the same price as Walmart WWW. The Win-Clean is another ammo that is popular for being safe.

I also like the aluminium cases in that they have been tested to stand mor pressure that brass cases, but reloaders generally do not attempt to reload them.

So, there is really no common reason to not shoot the Tula, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Herters Steel, Academy steel, ....

tcruse
01-23-2012, 08:34
This is what my gunsmith told me. He said to shoot all the steel case ammo you want in a pistol because it helps to keep him in business. He has already had to replace a few extractors for customers that shoot steel case ammo in their pistols. He said rifles, especialy Russian rifles, can handle steel case because that is what they use over seas so the rifles are built to handle the harder casings.

How many extractors has he replaced in pistols that do not shoot steel case ammo?

Glockwork26
01-23-2012, 08:47
my local range doesn't let us use steel case ammo.

jaklcrow
01-23-2012, 09:14

Ya thats what I thought. I would rather spend a few extra bucks a box than go through the headache of having to get my gun serviced.

Thats interesting about the Russian guns though.

Brucev
01-23-2012, 10:38
Fired thousands of rounds of steel-cased TULA in .45 ACP, .40 S&W and 9mm. It has given excellent results with perfect function and on target accuracy identical with any other ball loads. It is cheaper which is always a plus. As well, when shooting at a outdoor range where recover of brass is problematic, the steel cases can just fly away without any concern to me. Cool. Especially like the .45 ACP in my S&W 625-2 as it gives the best accuracy that I've so far found for plain factory ball loads. Have every intention of using more of the TULA ammo. Excellent ammo.

Gperfection
01-23-2012, 11:39
A lot of folks think this stuff is steel core. It is not. Is is steel jacketed with a lead core. It can start fires at outdoor ranges. It probably won't hurt your gun. It is probably fine to shoot at indoor ranges, at least in pistol calibers. The main concern is fires. I found this link, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1422572&postcount=61 take a look and go to page 1, for some reading. Remember Tula, Wolf, Bear, etc. isn't steel core as referenced so often. It is steel jacketed. I don't think it is wise to save a few bucks and risk starting a wildland fire. That few bucks saved could quickly turn out costing you. I'm glad I reload. My .40 is costing me $5.85 a box + about 8 minutes of therapeutical time.

collim1
01-23-2012, 11:48
I have shot alot of it, and still have a few hundred rounds of it stocked up. My only complaint is that it is very dirty and will choke my P220 up after about 400rds of it. The chamber cruds up real bad and it will eventually fail to go into battery intermittently.

Shooting even the cheapest brass ammo like WWB or Champion I have gone upwards of 1k rds without a malfunction in this gun. That is the most rounds I have ever shot without cleaning and it seems it would have kept going.

I also had to soak the barrel and chamber in solvent for long time and do some heavy scrubbing to get it clean. Normally 10mins of soaking and a pass or two of the Boresnake will get it squeaky clean.

A shop in my area sells Blazer aluminum .45acp for $13.95+tax I'll be buying that from now on.

Other than being dirty it works just fine.

Gperfection
01-23-2012, 11:49
Fired thousands of rounds of steel-cased TULA in .45 ACP, .40 S&W and 9mm. It has given excellent results with perfect function and on target accuracy identical with any other ball loads. It is cheaper which is always a plus. As well, when shooting at a outdoor range where recover of brass is problematic, the steel cases can just fly away without any concern to me. Cool. Especially like the .45 ACP in my S&W 625-2 as it gives the best accuracy that I've so far found for plain factory ball loads. Have every intention of using more of the TULA ammo. Excellent ammo.

Thats right, just leave your s*** on the ground for someone else to pick up! No conerns! Just what I want to do, walk around knee deep in steel cases. COOL!

MadMonkey
01-23-2012, 12:17
I was under the impression that the steel casings are almost as soft as brass, therefore won't damage the extractors. I'd say that gunsmith is full of it...

sappy13
01-23-2012, 12:40
I always shoot tulammo. its a little dirtier than other ammos, but i dont mind cleaning my gun after a range day. i occasionally get a round that doesnt fire on the first strike, but not enough to make me pay for more expensive ammo.

collim1
01-26-2012, 14:18
I was under the impression that the steel casings are almost as soft as brass, therefore won't damage the extractors. I'd say that gunsmith is full of it...

The extractor damage from steel ammo is a myth as far as I am concerned. Unhardened steel is soft enough to be safe for your gun. The barrel, extractor and breech face in your gun are all hardened steel.

I have inspected the spent Tula casings from my gun and can see a nick in the case rim from the extractor. Its obviously much softer than the extractor if it gets nicked by it.

USMCgs3
01-26-2012, 18:10
Well I'm going to be going through 150-200 rounds this Sunday. The way I'm looking at it, the savings of buying 3 boxes of TulAmmo at $12.99 a box as compared to 3 boxes of lawman at $17.99 is saving me roughly $15. So that buys an extra box of 50 for my Glocking pleasure....

txgunguy
01-27-2012, 23:05
If Tulammo (or any handgun ammo) had a steel core it would never be allowed into the U.S. because it would be deemed Armor Piercing.

I tried telling the guy running the counter at my local range that about my rws ammo. It didn't pass his "magnet test".

Civilian sheep Dog
02-10-2012, 14:36

I recently just bought a box of Tula ammo and so far it shot fine through my Glock however in My Keltec PF9 I had a few rds. not fire, when I ejected them out you can see where the firing pin hit the primer but no bang. This round possible ok for practice I probably wont use them again and no chance will I use it for carry. :whistling:

tcruse
02-10-2012, 18:12

This claim has come up often, no reason to twilit is true. Many countries have only steel cases ammo. The only issue was that the coating used to prevent rust sometimes left residue. The polymer coatings currently used or the zinc plating resolve this issue.

The jacket on the bullet is bi-metal on some of the sizes. The bullet does not have a steel core, since that would be illegal to import. The jacket is very soft and will not damage your gun or the range backstop. As far as fires, no info.

Now, it is cheap ammo, so dirty, not most powerful, some hard primers. But, if you do not reload not bad at the current price points. It is getting hard to find at some locations, like most of the lower priced ammo.

hotpig
02-10-2012, 19:44
I recently just bought a box of Tula ammo and so far it shot fine through my Glock however in My Keltec PF9 I had a few rds. not fire, when I ejected them out you can see where the firing pin hit the primer but no bang. This round possible ok for practice I probably wont use them again and no chance will I use it for carry. :whistling:
Wrong kind of ammo for carry anyway. My bet is the rounds that did not fire the first time will fire the second time.

tcruse
02-10-2012, 20:15
A lot of folks think this stuff is steel core. It is not. Is is steel jacketed with a lead core. It can start fires at outdoor ranges. It probably won't hurt your gun. It is probably fine to shoot at indoor ranges, at least in pistol calibers. The main concern is fires. I found this link, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1422572&postcount=61 take a look and go to page 1, for some reading. Remember Tula, Wolf, Bear, etc. isn't steel core as referenced so often. It is steel jacketed. I don't think it is wise to save a few bucks and risk starting a wildland fire. That few bucks saved could quickly turn out costing you. I'm glad I reload. My .40 is costing me $5.85 a box + about 8 minutes of therapeutical time.
The other forum is just plain wrong I the assumption that copper jacketted bullet can not cause a spark or even a lead only bullet. A couple of weeks ago I was next to a Class of CCW people qualifying, all were hitting the concrete floor of the range at the close distance. The ammo was a mix of WWB, UMC, and federal. ALL of it was sparking a lot. Just look at a 22 that is functionally lead only hit something like concrete.

cowboy1964
02-10-2012, 21:34
Wrong kind of ammo for carry anyway. My bet is the rounds that did not fire the first time will fire the second time.

I've had 2 or 3 fail to fires with Tula and Wolf. All fired on second try.

Gperfection
02-10-2012, 21:39
The other forum is just plain wrong I the assumption that copper jacketted bullet can not cause a spark or even a lead only bullet. A couple of weeks ago I was next to a Class of CCW people qualifying, all were hitting the concrete floor of the range at the close distance. The ammo was a mix of WWB, UMC, and federal. ALL of it was sparking a lot. Just look at a 22 that is functionally lead only hit something like concrete.

Why were they shooting the floor?

FLglockdude
02-10-2012, 22:03
I've shot several hundred rounds of 9mm and .45ACP, as well as 80 rounds of .223 today and never had any function problems. I have had a few dud 9mm rounds though.

USMCgs3
02-10-2012, 22:13
Well I don't have to worry about any ranges not allowing me to shoot, I made a range on my property. I just wonder if it impacts the environment by leaving the steel casings on the ground. I always police my brass but some always escapes under the leaves and stuff. I have a stainless steel backsplash on my target stand that catches most all of my rounds. Only a few have gone through and I own the 7 acres behind it so no biggie. I'd like to reload someday so I don't have to worry about store bought ammo....

Doxiedad
02-10-2012, 23:56
Only problem I ever had with Tulammo in my G22 was when loading the magazine by hand I managed to scratch the case with the feed lips of the magazine causing the round to hang up in the magazine. Only FTF i've ever had with any of my Glocks.

ZO6Vettever
02-11-2012, 05:45
Put 2 boxes 45ACP, 230 grain thru my G30. No issues and no dirtier than other cheap ammo. $14.99 @ Wally World.

lowcel
02-11-2012, 08:24
I'm relatively new to shooting but so far I have not had a problem with Tul. I have been shooting 223, 9, and 40 without any issues at all. I can't speak for the extractor since I am still several thousands of rounds away from shooting enough to damage anything.