Iowa CCWers [Archive] - Glock Talk


View Full Version : Iowa CCWers

01-23-2012, 11:41

If I have permits in 2 other states and have taken the required course in each of those states and I also have all the military background and training on handguns, do I still need to attend a course in Iowa prior to obtaining a CCW there? I'm moving to the Davenport area in September due to my upcoming assignment to Rock Island Arsenal, IL. I refuse to live in Illinois, obviously.

01-23-2012, 11:46

01-23-2012, 11:47
Seems your DD-214 or your certificate of graduation from basic is proof of training:
724.9 Firearm training program.
1. An applicant shall demonstrate knowledge of firearm safety by any of the following

d. Completion of small arms training while serving with the armed forces of the United
States as evidenced by any of the following:
(1) For personnel released or retired from active duty, possession of an honorable
discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions.
(2) For personnel on active duty or serving in one of the national guard or reserve
components of the armed forces of the United States, possession of a certificate of completion
of basic training with a service record of successful completion of small arms training and qualification

01-23-2012, 11:54
If you have a DD-214 that will do it.........................

01-23-2012, 11:56
Seems your DD-214 or your certificate of graduation from basic is proof of training:

sounds good. I've read what it says in B&W but I still like to hear it from someone who lives there.

01-23-2012, 16:15
Do you have your Missouri CCW? It is accepted by 39 states.

01-23-2012, 17:46
Do you have your Missouri CCW? It is accepted by 39 states.

yes i do have one but I was thinking that since i will no longer be a resident that it would be no good

01-24-2012, 17:08
Yeah, I typed before I thought.

Sheepdog Scout
01-25-2012, 02:41
Yup, you'll be GTG. If you're moving to Davenport area, you'll probably be in Scott County.

Iowa application for a PTC. You'll need to complete it and take it in person to the sheriffs dept in the county that you live. You'll obviously need an Iowa drivers license.

Scott County Sheriffs office:

Permit is good for five years and costs $50.

You may wanna check out this site and possibly join the IFC.

There is this as well:
Obtaining Weapon Permits

The Sheriff of your county of residence is the only person who is authorized to issue permits unless you are a non-resident of Iowa or require a permit as a result of your employment by the State of Iowa, in which case the Commissioner of the Iowa Department of Public Safety can issue permits to carry. You may contact the Iowa Department of Public Safety by email: or by telephone: 515-725-6230
The Sheriff may issue both a professional and a non-professional permit to the same individual if circumstances warrant.
A permit may be issued to a temporary resident of Iowa (i.e.; a student residing in Iowa but whose permanent home is another state or a person in the armed services working at Rock Island Arsenal).
You will be required to bring in:

Current photo ID
3 consecutive months of bills (i.e.; electric, water or gas) addressed to person applying with correct Scott County address

You may need to contact the DPS based on what your situation is or will be. I don't recall exactly when you actually become a resident and all that. Also, I'm not sure how long you could legally carry on your Missouri permit or what not.

01-25-2012, 03:29
dd-214 is good, i personally know a number of guys that went and got a ptc last january with theirs.

Do you have your Missouri CCW? It is accepted by 39 states.

the new iowa law recognizes all other states permits, but iowa residents must have an iowa permit to lawfully carry.