.22lr still cheaper than loading 9mm? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .22lr still cheaper than loading 9mm?

creophus
01-23-2012, 12:58
Did a bit of research a while back and found that even though I buy 9mm components in bulk, shooting 22lr was still cheaper.

I use Precision Delta 9mm 115gr FMJ as they are the cheapest from what I can find.

Is that still the case in your area?

Colorado4Wheel
01-23-2012, 13:13
I don't know for sure but I am pretty sure my casting makes my 9mm cheaper then .22.

GioaJack
01-23-2012, 13:14
About a buck and a half, give or take a few cents, for 50 rounds of .380, 9mm, .38/357mag, .41mag, 44mag or .45 with cast bullets.

.22 is fun to shoot though but your last name has to be Gates or Buffet to afford it. :supergrin:

Jack

shotgunred
01-23-2012, 13:25
22lr are about 1/2 the price of my 9mm. But I do not cast and use 124's.

creophus
01-23-2012, 13:44
I don't cast either. Just the cost of the projectiles puts me 2x over the price of 22lr.

F106 Fan
01-23-2012, 14:08
Sure, .22 in bulk from Wally World will always be cheaper than anything I can load.

It didn't used to be that way but the price of primers keep the cost of reloading high.

Richard

creophus
01-23-2012, 14:14
Sure, .22 in bulk from Wally World will always be cheaper than anything I can load.

It didn't used to be that way but the price of primers keep the cost of reloading high.

Richard

For me it's the cost of the projectiles.

I figured 22lr from walmart was still the cheapest thing going, just wanted to confirm.

rpgman
01-23-2012, 14:49
don't cast either so .22lr is cheaper for me, that's why I got an Advantage Arms Conversion kit for my G17.

If I want to shoot cheap that day, I use the conversion kit.

Else, I'll use my reloaded 9mm.
Greg

fredj338
01-23-2012, 14:57
If you cast your own from free alloy, cheaper than 22lr for even 45acp. Yeah, life is good.

jr05
01-23-2012, 15:01
.22lr is cheaper for me, as I only shoot 124gr CMJ, but I get a lot more out of my practice sessions (IDPA USPSA) with 9mm than I ever do with 22lr.

I would rather spend the few extra bucks and shoot 9mm. When comparing my reloads to good 22lr ammo, it is about 2x the cost to shoot 9mm. But then again, it is 1/2 as much as shooting budget factory 9mm.

F106 Fan
01-23-2012, 15:17
If you can cast your own bullets with FREE lead alloy then reloading is about $0.04 per round for the primer and powder. Pretty cheap.

Unless, you put a value on your time! Even if it makes no sense to put a dollar value on time if you're retired, there is still an opportunity cost. Every minute I spend reloading I can't spend doing something else. Something that I might enjoy...

I don't really like reloading and it isn't a hobby. Shooting is a hobby and reloading is the cost of entry (I'm still on a fixed income). Anything that adds to the time spent reloading is not something I consider 'free'. So, the issue at hand is how to properly price home-cast bullets. Even if the lead alloy is really free (and I don't see how it could be), there is the opportunity cost of doing the work. It all adds up.

Richard

unclebob
01-23-2012, 15:57
If you can cast your own bullets with FREE lead alloy then reloading is about $0.04 per round for the primer and powder. Pretty cheap.

Unless, you put a value on your time! Even if it makes no sense to put a dollar value on time if you're retired, there is still an opportunity cost. Every minute I spend reloading I can't spend doing something else. Something that I might enjoy...

I don't really like reloading and it isn't a hobby. Shooting is a hobby and reloading is the cost of entry (I'm still on a fixed income). Anything that adds to the time spent reloading is not something I consider 'free'. So, the issue at hand is how to properly price home-cast bullets. Even if the lead alloy is really free (and I don't see how it could be), there is the opportunity cost of doing the work. It all adds up.

Richard
My I suggest taking up golf instead of shooting. Or just buy the ammo if you have to put a price on your time reloading.

GioaJack
01-23-2012, 16:05
Why isn't lead, (wheel weights) free? If you're out and about doing errands and you're passing your tire shop anyway how is it an added expense to pull in the parking lot and load a few buckets of weights into the truck?

Of course I've known guys who have gotten married because they thought it would be a means of free and frequent no hassle sex. Scrounging wheel weights is much more of a sure thing... and a lot cheaper.

Jack

unclebob
01-23-2012, 16:09
Why isn't lead, (wheel weights) free? If you're out and about doing errands and you're passing your tire shop anyway how is it an added expense to pull in the parking lot and load a few buckets of weights into the truck?

Of course I've known guys who have gotten married because they thought it would be a means of free and frequent no hassle sex. Scrounging wheel weights is much more of a sure thing... and a lot cheaper.

Jack

And here I thought you just visited parking lots.:shocked:

Are you trying to break you back again? Bucket of wheel weights

F106 Fan
01-23-2012, 16:12

Jack

I haven't actually tried this but why would the lead be free? Their own employees or friends of employees might be reloaders. Lead may have a salvage value - most metal does.

Besides, it just leads down that rabbit hole of casting bullets.

Richard

GioaJack
01-23-2012, 16:12
I have trouble picking up a single wheel weight, much less a bucket of them but I have friends and a son-in-law... who doesn't want to get written out of the will.

Jack

unclebob
01-23-2012, 16:14
Of course I've known guys who have gotten married because they thought it would be a means of free and frequent no hassle sex.

Is that why you have been married 3 times? Enquire magazine should be knocking on your door any time now.:tongueout:

GioaJack
01-23-2012, 16:16
I haven't actually tried this but why would the lead be free? Their own employees or friends of employees might be reloaders. Lead may have a salvage value - most metal does.

Besides, it just leads down that rabbit hole of casting bullets.

Richard

The same reason you'd help a neighbor shovel the driveway after a heavy snow or help them change a flat tire or give them a piece of loading equipment that they can't afford to purchase on their own.

Sometimes people do things for other people without any expectation of being paid for it. At least that's the way I was raised.

Jack

F106 Fan
01-23-2012, 16:17
My I suggest taking up golf instead of shooting. Or just buy the ammo if you have to put a price on your time reloading.

If my fixed income was a lot higher, I would shoot factory ammo. If I was a really good shooter, the factory would give me ammo. Neither are going to happen any time soon. That's the thing about a fixed income - it's fixed!

Golf? One of the most pointless endeavors on the face of the earth. Hit the ball, chase the ball, find the ball. Rinse and repeat.

Richard

fredj338
01-23-2012, 17:47
Richard

Getting free alloy is an art form. WW used to be free for the hauling, not anymore. About the only free stuff is range scrap. There is a time issue & a bit of propane or elec for smelting, but essentially free of currency cost.:supergrin: My dentist gave me about #50 last month free. I've traded for lead too. It's where you find it, just don't count on tire stores anymore.

CrookCounty
01-23-2012, 17:50
I figured 22lr from walmart was still the cheapest thing going, just wanted to confirm.

100 rounds of CCI mini mags $7 plus tax...cheapest I can find and its at Walmart

YES you will find cheaper online, BUT after shipping you will have gone over the in store price

CrookCounty
01-23-2012, 17:52
Sometimes people do things for other people without any expectation of being paid for it. At least that's the way I was raised.

Jack

This is why we love you Jack <---- :ladiesman:

GioaJack
01-23-2012, 18:10
This is why we love you Jack <---- :ladiesman:

If you're 48 to 51 years old, 5 foot 7 inch, blond haired, blue eyed, 118 pound single female with medium to large ta-ta's, I'll be there tomorrow.

If you match none of the above criteria but you are a female that can still fog a mirror I'll be there the day after tomorrow. :whistling:

Jack

F106 Fan
01-23-2012, 18:12
I have bought a lot of Federal AutoMatch at Wally World. It comes bulk packed in boxes of 325 rounds.

That stuff is superb! We're talking one hole groups at 25 yards when shot out of my CZ 534 or my somewhat modified Ruger 10-22. Absolutely superb!

Richard

Boxerglocker
01-23-2012, 18:42
I just bought 5000 rounds of Blazer 40g 22lr from Dunn's for $164 shipped. My S&W M&P 15-22 eats the stuff up and it's a hoot to run and gun with :supergrin:

F106 Fan
01-23-2012, 19:33
When my grandson starting shooting .22 rifle a couple of years ago, I bought a case of Winchester Dyna-Points. It shoots like crap out of my rifles.

So, having reflected on the fact that I still have almost every bit of the case load of ammo, I decided to buy a .22 conversion for my Sig P220. These bullets will be fine for run-and-gun and shooting them should be a kick! More fun to follow - stay tuned!

Thanks for thread and the inspiration. I hated seeing that ammo just sitting around.

Richard

Colorado4Wheel
01-23-2012, 20:03
How much does .22LR cost.

GioaJack
01-23-2012, 20:05

More than if you cast, less than if you don't.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

Jack

geofri
01-23-2012, 20:14
If you're 48 to 51 years old, 5 foot 7 inch, blond haired, blue eyed, 118 pound single female with medium to large ta-ta's, I'll be there tomorrow.

If you match none of the above criteria but you are a female that can still fog a mirror I'll be there the day after tomorrow. :whistling:

Jack

:shocked:

That's practically the same as a 40 year old chasing 17 year old girls!

GioaJack
01-23-2012, 20:17
Who the hell left the door open and let the little kid in here?

And what would you know about 40 year olds... the 17 year old girls are still out of your league. :supergrin:

Jack

Boxerglocker
01-23-2012, 20:21

Come on Steve... Don't you have at least one 22lr firearm in your collection?:dunno:

ponders
01-23-2012, 20:29
i work in a tire shop! my lead is always free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::whistling::whistling:

Colorado4Wheel
01-23-2012, 20:32
Everytime I think about getting one I get something else.

GioaJack
01-23-2012, 20:33
Come on Steve... Don't you have at least one 22lr firearm in your collection?:dunno:

Two guns does not a collection make.

I believe those would be referred to as bookends.

WARNING, WARNING... Don't mix scotch and morphine.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
01-23-2012, 20:47
I may get another plastic fantastic again. Any suggestions for a $450 ish gun? ZOMBIE?

PCJim
01-23-2012, 20:53
Federal bulk 550 packs are 18.97 here at the local WallyWorld. With tax, 20.30. Thats 3.7 cents per squeeze.

Considering that a primer will cost you almost 2 cents apiece and an average powder charge of BE or Unique close to another penny, those 22s are pretty cheap shooting.

My range sessions always begin with a good dose of 22s. They help to get me settled into a groove, and go a long way to shake off the traffic I just drove thru to get to the range.

Boxerglocker
01-23-2012, 21:32
I may get another plastic fantastic again. Any suggestions for a $450 ish gun? ZOMBIE?

Honestly, Steve if you can swing it I highly recommend getting a S&W M&P 15-22.... you can run your same IDPA / USPSA stages for cheap fun practice and have an absolute blast.

http://images3a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp73442%3Enu%3D68%3C5%3E%3A47%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3C%3B44336%3B345nu0mrj

Here's mine when it was stock cost me $430 OTD at a LGS. I've changed the BUIS to Magpuls, installed a J&P competition trigger spring set and put a Primary Arms red dot in it another $130.

shotgunred
01-23-2012, 21:58
Honestly, Steve if you can swing it I highly recommend getting a S&W M&P 15-22.... you can run your same IDPA / USPSA stages for cheap fun practice and have an absolute blast.

I have to agree. The tactical rifle guys were kind enough to allow my to participate with my 10 22. To give it a try. It was fun enough that I went out and bought my own S&W M&P 15-22.
It only takes a couple of matches shooting a 22 instead of 223 to pay for the gun.

creophus
01-24-2012, 08:42
Federal bulk 550 packs are 18.97 here at the local WallyWorld. With tax, 20.30. Thats 3.7 cents per squeeze.

Considering that a primer will cost you almost 2 cents apiece and an average powder charge of BE or Unique close to another penny, those 22s are pretty cheap shooting.

My range sessions always begin with a good dose of 22s. They help to get me settled into a groove, and go a long way to shake off the traffic I just drove thru to get to the range.

That's exactly what I'm seeing Jim. I recently put my M11 on a diet, so I'll be buying LOTS of 22lr. :supergrin: This works out well since I'm almost out of 9mm projectiles and replacing them alone will be about 2x-3x more than buying 22lr.

F106 Fan
01-24-2012, 10:19
WARNING, WARNING... Don't mix scotch and morphine.

Jack

Or Mai Tais with Tylenol and Codeine.

Richard

TonyT
01-25-2012, 16:09
Most of the bulk pack 22's sell for the same prices as primers. Therefore, it would be difficult to produce CF ammo which costs less than 22's unless you are shoting Eley Tenex or Lapua Midas 22's.

fredj338
01-25-2012, 16:20
Most of the bulk pack 22's sell for the same prices as primers. Therefore, it would be difficult to produce CF ammo which costs less than 22's unless you are shoting Eley Tenex or Lapua Midas 22's.

You can get close w/ 500 22lr for $15, that's 3c each. I can reload for just that casting my own. Still, yo uhave to buy the gear too.

atakawow
01-25-2012, 16:43
100gr cast pills, Wolf SPP, a pound of Bullseye, and unlimited free 9mm brass can go a long way for your bucks.

F106 Fan
01-25-2012, 17:08
You can get close w/ 500 22lr for $15, that's 3c each. I can reload for just that casting my own. Still, yo uhave to buy the gear too.

Heck, I pay 3.5 cents for a primer. I will never cast so bullets are around 9 cents. Powder runs about 1.5 cents.

Still, I can shoot lead bullets for about 14 cents. A lot more than .22 LR but a lot less than factory.

Richard

MoNsTeR
01-25-2012, 17:22
Cost of primers plus cost of powder plus amortized brass cost (even if you get it "free", you could sell it) puts 9mm over the cost of bulk 22 even if you completely ignore the cost of bullets and the value of your time. And of course if you don't cast, it's not even close.

F106 Fan
01-25-2012, 18:54
One thing missing from shooting .22 pistol: That satisfying feeling of a Colt Combat Government as it spits out a 230 gr FMJ. Especially the double-taps. There's nothing quite like it!

Nevertheless, the .22 conversion for my Sig P220 is on the way. I should have it early next week. Spare mags are on the way direct from Sig. Sig was out of stock on the conversion kit so I bought it elsewhere.

Richard

rpgman
01-25-2012, 19:05
One thing missing from shooting .22 pistol: That satisfying feeling of a Colt Combat Government as it spits out a 230 gr FMJ. Especially the double-taps. There's nothing quite like it!

Nevertheless, the .22 conversion for my Sig P220 is on the way. I should have it early next week. Spare mags are on the way direct from Sig. Sig was out of stock on the conversion kit so I bought it elsewhere.

Richard

Got a conversion kit for my G17

michael e
01-25-2012, 19:28
22s are still cheaper , I run what ever is on sale and have only had issues with federal lead bullets when gun was not really wet. My 40sw reloads come out to about 4.50 /50 rounds. The 22s also mean I do not have to look for my brass and can just have a fun range day without looking for my brass after every mag.

Fire_Medic
01-25-2012, 19:52
I don't cast either. Just the cost of the projectiles puts me 2x over the price of 22lr.

You can still shoot lead from Missouri Bullet for a lot cheaper than PD or MG.....

You will save almost 50% by going to the cast projectiles, and this is with buying someone else's product. I do not cast either but Missouri Bullet has always treated me well and it saves even more. When the prices increased some time back on MG, PD, Berry's it just wasn't worth the extra funds anymore. Unless you have a specific need for jacketed bullets, i.e.: suppressor, etc, then I see no need to spend more on jacketed bullets.

This is comparing jacketed to lead in 9mm, not to .22LR.

Have fun with that M11!!

Just my $0.02

fredj338
01-25-2012, 20:21
Heck, I pay 3.5 cents for a primer. I will never cast so bullets are around 9 cents. Powder runs about 1.5 cents.

Still, I can shoot lead bullets for about 14 cents. A lot more than .22 LR but a lot less than factory.

Richard
You pay too much. My last order of CCI, about 6m ago, $23 delivered. Yo ucan still get S&B for that today @ Graf's. Powder in 8# jugs is less than a penny, so pretty damn close to $3/100 or $3.30, if you want to be precise, casting your own for 9mm, 40 or 45.:supergrin:

F106 Fan
01-25-2012, 22:15
I do pay too much for primers. I need to find a cheap source such that, when I add the hazmat fee, the price comes down enough to make it worth the effort. But I only use Federal so that puts a crimp in the potential savings.

I don't get any kind of a break buying 5k from my LGS.

As to powder, I have been buying 8# canisters for a couple of things but I haven't done that for the 700-X. Don't know why... It's the only powder I have ever used for .45 ACP. Next time I'll order it online.

Richard

PCJim
01-25-2012, 22:52
Order 10K primers at the same time you order that 8# of powder. Spread the HM over the cost of both. Thats your real savings.

mdsn969
01-25-2012, 23:08
I shoot CCIs through my Glocks and AR-15 for about 6 cents per round...

HAMMERHEAD
01-25-2012, 23:15
When my grandson starting shooting .22 rifle a couple of years ago, I bought a case of Winchester Dyna-Points. It shoots like crap out of my rifles.

So, having reflected on the fact that I still have almost every bit of the case load of ammo, I decided to buy a .22 conversion for my Sig P220.

I think you'll like that P220 conversion. Mine worked very well after a quick break in. Stingers shot particularly well.

For 25 yard target shooting, I figure rimfire is every bit as expensive as my hand loaded 9mm match load. The cheap .22 ammo won't group under 2" in my pistols.

fredj338
01-26-2012, 00:39
Cost of primers plus cost of powder plus amortized brass cost (even if you get it "free", you could sell it) puts 9mm over the cost of bulk 22 even if you completely ignore the cost of bullets and the value of your time. And of course if you don't cast, it's not even close.How does one amortize free brass? It's just that, free. FOr all of you that value your time so much, how much of it do you spend driving to Wally, parking, waiting for the gun guy to show up & then waiting to pay? I would rather put ammo together using a Lee hand press.:shocked: Seriously, I can load 100rds on my 650 before you can find parking @ Wally.:upeyes:

RustyFN
01-26-2012, 10:12
Originally Posted by MoNsTeR
Cost of primers plus cost of powder plus amortized brass cost (even if you get it "free", you could sell it) puts 9mm over the cost of bulk 22 even if you completely ignore the cost of bullets and the value of your time. And of course if you don't cast, it's not even close.

I can load 9mm for $25 per 1,000 with my own cast bullets. I can shoot 9mm cheaper than 22 lr. How much are you getting 22 lr for? The cheapest I have seen Federal bulk 525 pack for is $20, that would be $40 per 1,000.

creophus
01-26-2012, 10:19
I can load 9mm for $25 per 1,000 with my own cast bullets. I can shoot 9mm cheaper than 22 lr. How much are you getting 22 lr for? The cheapest I have seen Federal bulk 525 pack for is $20, that would be $40 per 1,000.

Oh man, that's a great price. How are you loading it for that cheap? What are you paying for your primers and powder? Primers normally run me $30+/1000.

RustyFN
01-26-2012, 14:07
Oh man, that's a great price. How are you loading it for that cheap? What are you paying for your primers and powder? Primers normally run me $30+/1000.

You can buy Tula or Wolf primers for $15 to $20 per 1,000. I also buy powder for $95 to $100 for 8 pounds when I see a sale. Graf's has been running sales like that lately and also giving free hazmat when you buy 32 pounds of powder.

fredj338
01-26-2012, 14:09

Probably more once you add sales tax. You can buiy S&B right now from Graf's, order 10K & your delivered cost is $23/K. Watch them for sales & get other brands cheap. Go to PV & Wolf are $15.50, order 10K, that is less than $20/K to your door. I cheat, I am still loading some calibers w/ primers bought in 92 for $10/K.:supergrin:

F106 Fan
01-26-2012, 14:17
How does one amortize free brass? It's just that, free. FOr all of you that value your time so much, how much of it do you spend driving to Wally, parking, waiting for the gun guy to show up & then waiting to pay? I would rather put ammo together using a Lee hand press.:shocked: Seriously, I can load 100rds on my 650 before you can find parking @ Wally.:upeyes:

Not a problem! I get my wife to buy the ammo when SHE goes shopping at Wally World. All of the store-bought ammo is for her duty weapon and we never shoot reloads through guns we don't own.

Richard

GioaJack
01-26-2012, 14:23
Not a problem! I get my wife to buy the ammo when SHE goes shopping at Wally World. All of the store-bought ammo is for her duty weapon and we never shoot reloads through guns we don't own.

Richard

Do you really feel that WWB or similar quality ammunition is safer or more reliable than what you can load? I find that curious but to each his, or her own I guess.

Jack

mdsn969
01-26-2012, 14:30
Do you really feel that WWB or similar quality ammunition is safer or more reliable than what you can load? I find that curious but to each his, or her own I guess.

Jack

Yes of course. Automation and automated QC has proven to be much more reliable than manual production...

Having said that, I reloaded my own trap and skeet loads for years. But now I simply shoot the cheapest field loads that I can find (which are way cheaper than reloading, particularly considering the time involved). I then sold all my shootgunning reloading equipment and have never looked back... I shoot the same number of breaks with high end target loads, my reloads, or cheap field loads. My 1100 doesn't care what I run through it.

F106 Fan
01-26-2012, 14:31

Jack

We buy Federal Champion. No, I don't think it is better but there are two considerations: First, I don't have to start a process to reload .40 S&W. We don't own any 40s and knowing my level of patience, I would be looking to buy a 650 or 1050 for .40.

Second, and more important, if she did have to write a "Dear Chief" letter explaining how her gun blew up, it would look a little better if she was using factory ammo.

Richard