Marine Corps adopts Detonics MTX 1911 for their shooting team [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps adopts Detonics MTX 1911 for their shooting team

melensdad
01-23-2012, 13:18
Just got wind that the US Marine Corps competition shooting team has chosen their new pistol. Its the 5" Detonics MTX 1911 pistol. The team has been testing the guns and now have placed their orders. New guns will be produced and should be in use by March of this year.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/melensdad/guns/MarineCorps1911.png

Rumors are that other units are now looking at/testing the Detonics MTX 1911 for their teams.

Interesting development for a small company that could launch them into the big leagues in terms of production!

R0CKETMAN
01-23-2012, 13:28
Why a rail?

melensdad
01-23-2012, 13:34
I dunno.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
01-23-2012, 13:41
For those not in the know - I assume the frame isn't polymer and painted - but it's all a 1 piece metal grip? Aluminum?

asiparks
01-23-2012, 13:45
more info from the same OP (http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=334826)

States it's modular and "fully CNC machined"

Nickpisp
01-23-2012, 13:45
Why a rail?

Bayonets!

melensdad
01-23-2012, 13:55
For those not in the know - I assume the frame isn't polymer and painted - but it's all a 1 piece metal grip? Aluminum?

Yes, its aluminum.

Rally Vincent
01-23-2012, 13:56
That's pretty interesting.

TxGlock9
01-23-2012, 14:11
That's really cool that you can change the grips out for compact or full size grip, and also to take single stack or double stack as you please.

So has it been released into production yet? Looks like the preliminary posting about this post was about 3 months ago..?

Mayhem like Me
01-23-2012, 14:19
Just got wind that the US Marine Corps competition shooting team has chosen their new pistol. Its the 5" Detonics MTX 1911 pistol. The team has been testing the guns and now have placed their orders. New guns will be produced and should be in use by March of this year.

Rumors are that other units are now looking at/testing the Detonics MTX 1911 for their teams.

Interesting development for a small company that could launch them into the big leagues in terms of production!

So far the only one confirming this is...you on a bunch of different forms.

Last time you posted here you said you do not work for Detonics,.
Me thinks you are full of it!!!

TxGlock9
01-23-2012, 14:43
So far the only one confirming this is...you on a bunch of different forms.

Me thinks you are full of it!!!

I didn't want to be that blunt about it, but I also have had my speculations.. :D

FLIPPER 348
01-23-2012, 15:51
Why a rail?

.......for a light perhaps??

I'm a 1911A1 guy but that pistol is dead-sexy.

faawrenchbndr
01-23-2012, 15:58
Uh,.......that's FAR from a 1911!

FLIPPER 348
01-23-2012, 16:05

I wonder if the lower would work with a standard 1911 upper??

TxGlock9
01-23-2012, 16:32

I'm a 1911A1 guy but that pistol is dead-sexy.

Lol. I think he meant why would they need a light on a race gun.

DRAGON1970
01-23-2012, 17:00
Tonight there will be 100 posts in the ads. People will be selling their 1911's to buy one of these because the Marines want them. Will not matter if the story is true or not.

melensdad
01-23-2012, 17:07
I wonder if the lower would work with a standard 1911 upper??
Yes, a standard 1911 upper will work on this lower, I tried it with 2 different uppers that I have.

So far the only one confirming this is...you on a bunch of different forms.That is no surprise, I often get inside tips from folks who are in the know. In this case I was on the phone with a guy today who was intimately involved in the USMC gun testing. What you see here you will probably read about in another month or so somewhere else.

Me thinks you are full of it!!!Feel free to be wrong in public, but no I do NOT work for Detonics. I do have one of the largest collections of original Detonics pistols in the world (so I've been told) owning them in virtually every variant ever produced, in all 4 calibers produced, plus many factory custom pieces and some engraved models too. I own models from each factory, some one-off guns, etc. Within the collector community I'm reasonably well known and have contacts both inside the current factory, as well as in prior factories.

faawrenchbndr
01-23-2012, 17:26
You will not find me buying one,.......I think it's dog *** fugly!
Looks too much like a Springfield XDm,....I actually like those.

Jason D
01-23-2012, 17:37
I posted on the the 1911 forum thread.

They may use this gun for some sort of steel challenge or other type of shooting sport.
They are not however using it for CMP or NRA Bullseye at Camp Perry. I know it's not CMP legal and I am pretty sure the modular grips made from aluminum disqualifies it from NRA.

HAIL CAESAR
01-23-2012, 18:02
I didn't want to be that blunt about it, but I also have had my speculations.. :D

The ONLY guy in the world that posts about that gun is the OP>

faawrenchbndr
01-23-2012, 18:09

Nice to see you picked up on that as well!

R0CKETMAN
01-23-2012, 18:30

Lol. I think he meant why would they need a light on a race gun.

ding ding ding ding

So what

Why so much hate? The comments below add validity to this thread. No need to be rude. The guys into them. I get it

Feel free to be wrong in public, but no I do NOT work for Detonics. I do have one of the largest collections of original Detonics pistols in the world (so I've been told) owning them in virtually every variant ever produced, in all 4 calibers produced, plus many factory custom pieces and some engraved models too. I own models from each factory, some one-off guns, etc. Within the collector community I'm reasonably well known and have contacts both inside the current factory, as well as in prior factories.

Mayhem like Me
01-23-2012, 18:30
Yes, a standard 1911 upper will work on this lower, I tried it with 2 different uppers that I have.

That is no surprise, I often get inside tips from folks who are in the know. In this case I was on the phone with a guy today who was intimately involved in the USMC gun testing. What you see here you will probably read about in another month or so somewhere else.

Feel free to be wrong in public, but no I do NOT work for Detonics. I do have one of the largest collections of original Detonics pistols in the world (so I've been told) owning them in virtually every variant ever produced, in all 4 calibers produced, plus many factory custom pieces and some engraved models too. I own models from each factory, some one-off guns, etc. Within the collector community I'm reasonably well known and have contacts both inside the current factory, as well as in prior factories.

We will see in a month.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

HAIL CAESAR
01-23-2012, 18:56
So what

Why so much hate? The comments below add validity to this thread. No need to be rude. The guys into them. I get it

No hate. Just his first post here was about this gun....actually all his posts deal with this gun. Each and everyone of them..................

I just checked another website. I made it to page 6 of 12.....all posts about this gun....................

faawrenchbndr
01-23-2012, 19:06
No hate. Just his first post here was about this gun....actually all his posts deal with this gun. Each and everyone of them..................

I just checked another website. I made it to page 6 of 12.....all posts about this gun....................

Yep,..........

Also, since when is questioning one's intent considered "hate"?

Fred Hansen
01-23-2012, 19:21
Why a rail?For the M204 adapter.

TxGlock9
01-23-2012, 19:24
For the M204 adapter.

:rofl:

did you mean M203?

R0CKETMAN
01-23-2012, 19:38

He did say he had every one of them:shocked:

Yep,..........

Also, since when is questioning one's intent considered "hate"?

It was used in the expression not the literal sense.

For the M204 adapter.

did you mean M203?

melensdad
01-23-2012, 19:49
Looks I, now that I broke it, the news is being reported.

Here is more info: http://www.bob-owens.com/

HAIL CAESAR
01-23-2012, 20:07

Hi Bob.:upeyes:

TxGlock9
01-23-2012, 20:09
ROFL....

I vote this thread for Most hilarious Thread of 2012 candidate.

HAIL CAESAR
01-23-2012, 20:20
So Bob comes here and the 1911 forum and "leaks" this info himself. Then posts about the gun being leaked on GT and the 1911forum on his own forum.

News shattering!!!!!!

faawrenchbndr
01-23-2012, 20:24

Mayhem like Me
01-23-2012, 20:26
Yeah getting free guns is hardly "picking the system"

I was sponsored by S&W when I shot PPC if Colt gave me free pythons I would have shot for them....

LOL.....

Quack
01-23-2012, 20:32
I heard that it wasn't final, but they are going with these...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/glock_1911-tm-tfb.jpg

emopunker2004
01-23-2012, 20:33

:upeyes:

ROFL....

I vote this thread for Most hilarious Thread of 2012 candidate.
:rofl::rofl:

GeorgiaRedfish
01-23-2012, 20:51
Oh GT how I've missed thee. This is hilarious. Hey guys the Navy Seals have just decided to use my super cool new flashlight for all their special ops missions, you've probably never heard of it because you aren't tactical enough, it's pretty sweet.

.....oh ya I am taking orders soon.

HAIL CAESAR
01-23-2012, 20:55
Oh GT how I've missed thee. This is hilarious. Hey guys the Navy Seals have just decided to use my super cool new flashlight for all their special ops missions, you've probably never heard of it because you aren't tactical enough, it's pretty sweet.

Actaully I would rather have one of your flashlights than Bob's gun.:rofl:

:wavey:

melensdad
01-23-2012, 21:13
So Bob comes here and the 1911 forum and "leaks" this info himself. Then posts about the gun being leaked on GT and the 1911forum on his own forum.

News shattering!!!!!!

Huh? I'm not Bob Owens. But thanks for the compliment.

HAIL CAESAR
01-23-2012, 21:19
Huh? I'm not Bob Owens. But thanks for the compliment.

Well you post the same pics and speak with the same phrases.

I don't care if your Buck Owens, this whole thing stinks of fish.

This new gun is as earth shattering as one of Red Jacket's "game changers".

melensdad
01-23-2012, 21:33
Well you post the same pics and speak with the same phrases.

I don't care if your Buck Owens, this whole thing stinks of fish.

Think whatever you want, I don't really care.

Bob Owens probably spoke to some of the same people I talked to. As for the photo, i cropped a photo that the factory sent out. The full photo was used by Bob Owens, i only used the part with the full size gun. I've also posted photos of my personal guns, just not in this thread. Same frame, but mine is the compact slide. I don't have a personal 5" barrel because that is not available for public order yet.

I like these guns. I get it that you don't. I also get it that you don't like people who have inside information and share it because it makes you feel inadequate about your lack of connections/information. Sorry, I can't help you with that.

Mayhem like Me
01-23-2012, 21:41

Bob Owens probably spoke to some of the same people I talked to. As for the photo, i cropped a photo that the factory sent out. The full photo was used by Bob Owens, i only used the part with the full size gun. I've also posted photos of my personal guns, just not in this thread. Same frame, but mine is the compact slide. I don't have a personal 5" barrel because that is not available for public order yet.

I like these guns. I get it that you don't. I also get it that you don't like people who have inside information and share it because it makes you feel inadequate about your lack of connections/information. Sorry, I can't help you with that.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

HAIL CAESAR
01-23-2012, 21:44
No, I don't mind the gun at all. It just don't seem the the the "game changer" you talk about on EVERY website.

It is just funny that not one single person in the world is talking about this gun....except you. That is all you talk about...on every website. That is what smells like a fish factory.

Ohhhh... you have an in with Detonics. The smallest gun company in existence that goes bankrupt every few years. Your right I am jealous.

Oh, by the way. I live 30 minutes from Millstadt, Illinois. I don't think they are still there, but when they were they were less than impressive. If he is still involved with Detonics...tell Doc that Al said hi.:wavey:

Fred Hansen
01-23-2012, 23:00

did you mean M203?D'oh! WORST TYPO EVARRR!

:embarassed:

Bravia 4 lyfe!

NeverMore1701
01-23-2012, 23:17
Good stuff!

Rally Vincent
01-23-2012, 23:29
Hasn't Detonics went bankrupt a few times?

Ruggles
01-23-2012, 23:46
Hasn't Detonics went bankrupt a few times?

Seems like it, they have certainly changed ownership a number of times. I am all for "more the merrier" ideal of 1911 makers. The more companies producing them the more we can choose from.

This one looks interesting but I guess time will tell. Not sure how much relevance the Marine Corps shooting team has in comparison to what other Marine units did to drive the popularity of a certain model 1911. I am thinking of the MEU 1911 model in particular. :dunno:

TxGlock9
01-24-2012, 00:11

Did you mean Flesh-light? :tongueout:

Gentlemen....

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc273/CUMMINSTURBO22/this_thread_delivers_ups_chick_amaz.jpg

TxGlock9
01-24-2012, 00:17

http://www.dailydemotivators.com/pics/amawesome.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

SiberianErik
01-24-2012, 00:41
I read that Kimber was going to produce the comp guns.

faawrenchbndr
01-24-2012, 03:21

GeorgiaRedfish
01-24-2012, 05:12
Did you mean Flesh-light? :tongueout:

Of course what do you think I meant by special ops missions?:wavey:

ancient_serpent
01-24-2012, 06:12
I really like the looks of that gun. Waiting to see some reviews on them.

Rinspeed
01-24-2012, 06:31

:rofl: :rofl:

USMCgs3
01-24-2012, 06:35
When and if it goes public how much will it cost? How much was the small slide model you have?

Mayhem like Me
01-24-2012, 07:53
I read that Kimber was going to produce the comp guns.

They will the article said "they accepted "the donated" guns.
Good PR move by Detionics, however it won't sell anymore guns.

I was one of the endurance testers for the Pendergrass GA Detonics 911-01.
they would not listen to us, that no one wanted a full sized 1911 with the goofy thumb cocking rear sight forward modification.
Other than that the weapon shot everything we could put through it I think we did 10,00 rounds in less than a week.

melensdad
01-24-2012, 11:38
When and if it goes public how much will it cost? How much was the small slide model you have?

I have no idea about the price for the 5" gun.

I paid $1500 for the short slide version.

MajorD
01-24-2012, 12:01
I wonder how long (probably measured in hours!) before some yahoo falsely reports this as "marines adopt new sidearm". with military stuff and the Marines in particular, there's alot of bandwagon jumping on stuff like this. A few guns made up for some competitive shooting team- which for example the Army marksmanship training uint does all the time-meansd zip as far as the rank and file trooper.

fnfalman
01-24-2012, 16:08
Anybody old enough to remember the hype about the Navy SEALs and the Buck survival knife?

faawrenchbndr
01-24-2012, 16:22
Anybody old enough to remember the hype about the Navy SEALs and the Buck survival knife?

I guess just as old as you Brother,.......

http://buck-184.com/

MajorD
01-25-2012, 08:41
fnfal- yep old enough to remember that one too.

CD0311
01-26-2012, 01:25
Should call up some old buddies in Quantico to see if it's true. I hope not. Every gun I shot built by a 2112 was sweet!!!!

glock2740
01-26-2012, 05:51
That's kinda what I was thinking. It looks 1911ish, but doesn't really qualify as a 1911 in my book. :dunno:

rokay
01-27-2012, 10:48
the title should read: a local shooting team made up of marines uses the detonics mtx

i like the pistol, if there was an all stainless one, or polymer frame/stainless slide, i'd get one.

bladeandbarrel
01-29-2012, 23:07

The first line says it all.

faawrenchbndr
01-30-2012, 03:44
Should call up some old buddies in Quantico to see if it's true. I hope not. Every gun I shot built by a 2112 was sweet!!!!

I talked to a "friend " out there this Saturday. He had heard nothing about this.
He's an 2111, Armorer, however he handles rifles. I would think that IF
the Shooting Team adopted these, he would have heard something.

I'm calling this a BS rumor,......untill I see it printed.

HAIL CAESAR
01-30-2012, 05:51
But "Bob" does have it in print.:tongueout:

MOTO3gun
02-02-2012, 13:38
Hello all I am the captain of the team in question, so please let me answer any questions that you have. I agree the post is misleading due to the fact that we ARE NOT the official Marine Corps Pistol team, nor the Combat Shooting Team (USMC's 3 gun team). Who we are is MOTO (which stands for Marine of the Ozarks) 3 gun. We are a group of Marine Corps instructors who enjoy the sport of 3 gun for a variety of reasons that I will not bore you with. WE seeked out Detonics due to their MTX-H handgun. Detonics is owned and operated by Bruce Siddle (Human Factor Research Group) and is overseen by his son Kevin. The weapon is different than a standard weapon in the fact that IT WAS NOT DESIGNED FOR COMPETITION, it was designed as a fighting gun. I know that it may seem like I am trying to advertise, however the gun has a very distinctive feel that is the most natural of all the weapons we have handled, that is why we sought out Detonics. If you are interested please feel free to look at our youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/MOTO3gun or our facebook
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100003010497792
If I have failed to answer any question feel free to ask and I will attempt to reply as soon as I can to quell any confusion. Thank you.

Quack
02-04-2012, 18:54
i see they are a sponsor of your's. did you seek out a sponsorship and they were the only one to sponsor you for handguns, or were you shooting the MTX-H before hand.

just curious...

MOTO3gun
02-07-2012, 08:59
As a team we were shooting various different type of handguns. We researched multiple different weapon systems and found the detonics MTX-H. Needless to say, if you have researched them, they are built as a combat gun. We shoot primarily to increase our profeciency in combat as well as gaining new training tools. As a team we decided that this was the gun we wanted, that is why we contacted them. We were hoping for sponsorship, but honestly we would have bought them anyway.

faawrenchbndr
02-07-2012, 14:44
Just got wind that the US Marine Corps competition shooting team has chosen their new pistol.....

Talk about a boat load of fail,..........you weren't even in the ballpark! :faint:

HAIL CAESAR
02-07-2012, 17:00
Talk about a boat load of fail,..........you weren't even in the ballpark! :faint:

Ballpark?? Heck any park, not even Yellowstone.:rofl:

faawrenchbndr
02-08-2012, 07:28
Marine Coprs adopts MYX 1911 for their shooting team.....

MOTO (which stands for Marine of the Ozarks) 3 gun

Any MORE fairy tales Bob? :faint:

BuckyP
02-08-2012, 07:49
I actually like the gun. More bullets = better in my book, especially if the grip isn't much bigger than a single stack. Also, I like the no grip safety.

That being said, this thread does have a particular aroma to it.
:fishing:

HAIL CAESAR
02-08-2012, 18:07
I actually like the gun. More bullets = better in my book, especially if the grip isn't much bigger than a single stack. Also, I like the no grip safety.

That being said, this thread does have a particular aroma to it.
:fishing:

I agree wholeheartedly with all of that. I like the idea of the gun.

But I think that this is a BS way of drumming up business. All this crap is fake.

Bodyarmorguy
02-08-2012, 18:32

Ballpark?? Heck any park, not even Yellowstone.:rofl:

Any MORE fairy tales Bob? :faint:

:popcorn:

faawrenchbndr
02-09-2012, 08:35
Just callin it the way I see it,..........:dunno:

Mayhem like Me
02-09-2012, 08:35
This one time at Detoniocs fan camp.......

NeverMore1701
02-09-2012, 10:36
This one time at Detoniocs fan camp.......

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

melensdad
02-09-2012, 12:09
Correction: I spoke with one of the members of the MOTO 3 Gun team, they are the ones using this Detonics gun.

RussP
02-09-2012, 12:21

Correction: I spoke with one of the members of the MOTO 3 Gun team, they are the ones using this Detonics gun.Thanks for the info...